This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Talk to Flora about your signature family dish and you could win a £200 John Lewis voucher NOW CLOSED

(132 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 03-Jun-14 17:13:13

The team at Flora have asked us to find out about Mumsnetters' signature family dishes.

Here's what Flora have to say:

“We all want everyday food that’s tasty, nutritious and simple to prepare but with busy lives, that’s not always easy. We’ve taken on the challenge to help, and have launched Gold from Flora – a blend of butter and Flora* with a rich, creamy taste, a natural winner at any time of the day. It’s great for spreading on toast, makes lunchtime sandwiches tasty, and vegetables taste better at dinner too. We'd love to hear about your signature dish and how you make it special.”

So what’s your signature dish? Maybe it’s the meal you can make in no time at all, with just a handful of simple, quality ingredients? Or perhaps it’s a dish that you've perfected over the years, that everyone is guaranteed to love? Maybe you can make impressive roast potatoes? Or know the secret to perfect, tasty vegetables?

Whatever your signature dish is, Flora would love to hear about it.

Everyone who posts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £200 John Lewis voucher.

Please note your comments may be included on Flora's social media channels, and possibly elsewhere, so please only post if you're comfortable with this.

Thanks and good luck,
MNHQ

(*70% blended spread with 26% sunflower oil and 18% milk fat.)

Snog Fri 29-Aug-14 09:18:43

too late to the party as usual...

Snog Fri 29-Aug-14 09:18:07

Shepherds pie with the mash made from swede, sweet potato and potato...so good!!!

AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 30-Jun-14 15:29:06

Thanks for all your comments! The winner of the prize draw is rootypig - congratulations! I'll PM you shortly for your details smile

CointreauVersial Sat 28-Jun-14 16:15:07

One of my signature dishes is Mexican Chicken - basically chicken pan fried, with the addition of tinned tomatoes, chilli, seasoning etc, then served with flour tortillas, lettuce, grated cheese, salsa, guacamole, sour cream.....anything, really. Breathtakingly simple, but the DCs love it, because they can construct their wraps however they want. Visiting children always seem to like it too.

Cambam2010 Tue 17-Jun-14 11:10:36

My signature dish has got to be Chili. I have a standard recipe that works as the base and then I just chuck in anything else in the fridge that needs using up. Never have the same version twice but always yummy. This is served with plain boiled rice, a few tortilla crisps and a dollop of sour cream.

quietbatperson Mon 16-Jun-14 12:00:35

We have lots of dishes that are family favourites, but the one that springs to mind right now is spag bol. I can have it made in 20 minutes, and it's a firm favourite with everyone. DS1 and DS2 had spag bol at school once and I was informed when they got home that it was "kinda ok, but no-where near as good as mummy's" [proud]. It uses onions, chestnut mushrooms, lean mince from the butcher, beef stock, chopped tomatoes, worcester sauce, dried herbs, black pepper and good soy sauce.

Hopezibah Sat 14-Jun-14 23:53:25

I have a really summer signature dish which i made for myself the day i went into labour with my baby. (nothing to do with the dish but it gives me happy memories of that day). It is a simple chicken salad with avocado and croutons in it. Simply griddle pieces of chicken until cooked. Make some chunky bread croutons by drizzling the bread pieces with olive oil and popping in oven at 200 C for about 15 mins. Next chop an avocado, tomato and some cucumber into pieces and toss into some lettuce leaves. Add the cooked chicken and crouton. Dress with some olive oil and lemon juice. and finally add some parmesan shavings.

cskontig Sat 14-Jun-14 21:55:14

My signature dish is: mushrooms filled with spicy soft cheese and vegetables. Vegetables can be olives, courgettes, pepper, aubergines, anything you fancy. 25 minutes in oven. It goes nice with rice.

frankiebuns Sat 14-Jun-14 17:56:55

My family signature dish is home made cottage pie with sweetpotato topping, minced lamb fryed in fry light add chopped carrots purple ones go down well with my lot, peas, my son insists on mushrooms and home made gravy or cheat if you want I always use low salt mash the sweet potatoes and plonk on top bung in the oven for 20-30 mins and enjoy we always have mange tout and sugar snp peas to eat with it!

storm4mozza Sat 14-Jun-14 15:24:48

Oooh =D

When my husband lost his job we had to budget even more than before, having a 3 and a 1 year old can be difficult, especially when they won't eat much, we found a budget meal called 'Chicken pasta bake'

We use roast chicken (spare from our sunday dinner), cheddar cheese , broccolli (boiled for 5 minutes before being put in sauce), white sauce and pasta (napoli is nice when it is on deal, wholewheat alot healthier)

We mix it all together on the hob (except cheese) and simmer until hot through, then we put it in a casserole dish and sprinkle with cheese, baking in oven until golden brown. The only downside is that i am addicted smile and eat seconds often.

CrewElla Sat 14-Jun-14 08:10:22

Sprout mash is our family favourite. Sprouts, double cream, & Parmesan. Mmm.

Wjjkl Fri 13-Jun-14 19:47:02

My signature dish is cheese and onion pie! Recipe courtesy of my mum - it's so good! Melted cheese and puff pastry - what could be better?!

Mine has to be Fajitas, the whole family love them served with Chicken breast in a sweet and sour sauce and a big bowl of salad to get their 5 a day in. Mushrooms cooked in garlic butter and wine, and cheese. They are so good when my older sons best friend sleeps, he always ask Jack to ask me to make Fajitas.

moneyone Thu 12-Jun-14 21:23:19

gnocci and spicy tomato sausage casserole.
Really easy and uber-delicious. Cook gnocchi, cook sausages and chop them into chunks (Italian herby style ones work well), and add some chilli flakes, garlic and onion to a tin of tomatoes. Mix together. Yum yum.

Cascade Thu 12-Jun-14 20:16:53

green thai curry always goes down a storm in our house.

TwigletFiend Thu 12-Jun-14 16:49:29

We are lucky to live in an area where there's a lot of wild boar - I repeatedly get asked for my toad in the hole made with good quality, ethically farmed wild boar sausages.

A bit of mustard and sage in the batter & a bit of sparkling cider in lieu of a little of the milk to give it a lift and whack into an absolutely screaming hot tray of oil. Deeeeelish!

Mine is homemade pizza - I make a
Focaccia base
(Strong bread flour, water, yeast, sugar and salt)
and top with tinned tomatoes blitzed with chilli and garlic.
Then I add chorizo, cherry tomatoes, chunks of cheese and anything else I have - ham/sweetcorn sometimes.
It takes minutes and its so much nicer than shop pizza. Plus it feeds about ten unless dh is around....

supergreenuk Thu 12-Jun-14 15:16:13

My families favourite meal is tacos.

Nothing special just an El Paso kit but I tweak it with a tin of tomatoes.

JulesJules Thu 12-Jun-14 13:35:49

"Carrot" Soup is my signature standby.

Everyone loves it and it's perfect for using up any leftover veg that's kicking around in the fridge.

As long as I call it carrot soup and it's the right orangey colour, I can get away with putting just about any veg in it and the dds will eat it up, no questions.

I always put garlic in and vary the herbs/spices - sometimes oregano or thyme with a little bit of chilli, or spicy with ground cumin and coriander.

I blend with the stick blender for a rough bitty texture or in the blender for velvety smooth. I make rosemary focaccia bread to go with it.

Also chocolate brownies! Sometimes with orange zest and white choc chips in. I make them instead of birthday cakes, stack them up, sprinkle with white choc stars and dust with icing sugar and stick the candles in wherever.

PastaandCheese Thu 12-Jun-14 07:14:46

Spirael cranberry and apple gammon sounds amazing..... Please, please tell me more.

OsMalleytheCat Thu 12-Jun-14 06:12:02

Ooooh my signature dish is definitely my chicken, bacon and leek pie, made with the left overs from our Sunday roast, lasts us until about Wednesday.

We love it because it's filling, it's cheap, it's delicious, it takes about 20-30mins so pretty quick (and some days we are just reheating it so even less time!) and we are making use of our leftovers not just picking at a chicken carcass for days on end!

soundstrue Wed 11-Jun-14 21:26:57

Homemade Lasagna with thinly sliced carrots and single cream in the ragu. Great for making ahead.

lottietiger Wed 11-Jun-14 20:42:00

Cauliflower cheese but not as a meal as a side dish with anything really . It's a good way to eat up half a leftover cauliflower . Just made with a cheese sauce but with plenty of grated cheese on top so it goes nice and brown. My little boy loves cheese so it's a great way to get him to eat his veggies

MadMonkeys Wed 11-Jun-14 18:59:06

I guess my signature dish is lasagne. Loads of minced beef, red peppers, mushrooms etc in the meaty bit and yummy homemade cheese sauce. Nom nom.

Spirael Wed 11-Jun-14 16:44:02

Cranberry and apple gammon, using a recipe passed down from father to daughter.

I've had to buy an enormous stock pot to handle the ever increasing quantity I need to cook, as friends and family love it and DH wants leftovers for his sandwiches.

He rarely gets any, as usually there's nothing left over!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now