This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Tell Direct Line what makes the perfect family day out – £150 John Lewis voucher to be won. Plus 20 MNers will win a year’s free membership to the Let’s Go website! NOW CLOSED

(105 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 07-Apr-14 17:08:21

With summer just around the corner, Direct Line would love to hear from Mumsnetters about the perfect fun filled family day out.

Here's what Direct Line have to say, "To celebrate our launch of 'Let's Go', a new rewards programme offering an exclusive range of free and 2-for-1 deals across the UK, we're on the hunt to find out what elements make a great family day out."

Do you have a fail-safe formula for the perfect outing? Or is this just a distant dream because there are chores you need to finish before you can enjoy fun and frolics with the family?

So whether it's oodles of good value activities for you and the kids, someone to look after them while you relax or simply time away, get in touch and let us know what you think.

Everyone who adds a comment will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £150 John Lewis voucher.

20 Mumsnetters will also win a year's free membership to the Let's Go website, giving you access to hundreds of free and 2-for-1 family days out across the UK (both local and major national attractions) - all year round!

Thanks and good luck,
MNHQ

MrsLoada Mon 14-Apr-14 18:28:19

Lots of open space, picnic, gardens and country house to walk round and clean toilets. If you get all of these it's the perfect day out

Driveway Mon 14-Apr-14 20:30:44

I think if you take things at the kids' pace and don't expect too much you have closer to a perfect day out. smile

jojane Mon 14-Apr-14 21:33:17

Lots of toilets, cheap snacks/drinks, lovely weather, children not arguing for once!
During the summer holidays I try to do one paid day out a week, one free day out and a couple of park trips, then I try to do things at home in between such as painting, making a pirate ship from a cardboard box, film days etc.

sharond101 Mon 14-Apr-14 21:54:35

Relatively short travel, plenty of exercise to tire us out, picnic dinner, no mess to clear up on way home and songs all the way home in the car. We love the beach.

deels Mon 14-Apr-14 22:19:45

a perfect day for me is a nice picnic in the park in the sun.. and a good game of cricket

LoveBeingCantThinkOfAName Tue 15-Apr-14 08:39:25

Perfect means a range of activities so all ages are catered for and you can choose whether to spend lots or not.

Hermancakedestroyer Tue 15-Apr-14 09:36:50

A perfect day out for us is a day where you don't feel like you've been ripped off! We have a lovely old house and gardens near us and you can buy garden entry only for a minimal amount of money and they have a fantastic adventure playground there and beautiful grounds for the children to run around in. We take a picnic and spend all day there.
I also enjoy a theme park now that my dcs are a little bit older - obviously the downside of these sort of trips is the extortionate cost of food, drink etc. which does make you feel ripped off.

threepiecesuite Tue 15-Apr-14 09:54:04

I think we pretty much achieved the perfect family day out last year. Walk around the lake, picnic in open space with nice view, watch the wildlife, trip on miniature railway, nice cafe for non rip-off coffee and home made cake. Oh and the sun on your back all day. Perfect.

lynniep Tue 15-Apr-14 12:04:46

Cheap, safe, play areas, no overpriced gift shops, fun activities and short or no queues at all!

Quidgetmidget Wed 16-Apr-14 20:00:04

It doesn't matter how far the day is, simply once we get there everything is nearby so we don't have to see the car again.

Something for everyone too, an old house for me, gardens for the husband and a safe play area for our toddler.

All finished off with a picnic and a ice cream.

nushcar Thu 17-Apr-14 18:16:56

Perfect days out with family:

- attraction or event is lively, but not too crowded;
- is enough seating in lunch venue and child/baby friendly washrooms, highchairs available or area where you can picnic
- food and drinks available are healthy and kids enjoy it
- I have toddler aged children, so if the venue has a park or area where the kids can run around, it is great.
- a child-friendly museum/stately home/aquarium or zoo are usually good choices and if we can sneak in a boat trip somewhere, even better.

mjmooseface Thu 17-Apr-14 19:24:21

Even if I'm only going out into the city for the day, I have specific things I need to do before leaving the house to make it a good day... I have to do the washing up and tidy up as I don't want to come home after a long, fun day out and have to do those things! I'd prefer to just put me feet up and relax!

I pack and plan and prepare for any accidents, spillages, snacks etc so I'm not caught short whilst out. That eases my mind. Oh, and having things to entertain the little'un with so they don't get bored and fidgety and loud! (That tip is more for when in restaurants!)

Lovely days out always involve nature, country side, sunshine, trees, hide and seek, picnic food, ice creams, playing games, making up sports, running around, paddling... And just having fun and enjoying the time together. Not getting into any arguments! lol

I'm glad the weather has warmed up and the days seem longer. It's time to have some adventures!

asuwere Thu 17-Apr-14 19:26:15

Perfect days out for us is something cheap - preferably free! When weather is nice, a trip to the park or the beach is great fun! I sometimes feel that when we go on a planned trip to somewhere which costs a bit, my expectations are a bit too high and then end up slightly disappointed but on unplanned trips out, we usually are all chilled and have a fab time!

Fizzyplonk Sat 19-Apr-14 09:20:27

Not trying to fit too much in.
Taking your time over places that you can return to.
A picnic and flask for lunch and then maybe buy ice creams late.

Flapdoodles Sun 20-Apr-14 12:10:43

A perfect day for us is when the weather is dry and no matter where we go, the kids have had a chance to run around (preferably outside) and burn off some energy. I always take a picnic but like it if there are reasonably priced snacks there so we can stop for a drink and a treat.

The perfect end to the perfect day is coming home with 2 exhausted children.

AndHarry Mon 21-Apr-14 21:50:27

A perfect day for us involves being outside with a picnic, plenty of fresh air and space for the DC to run around. Some of our best days out have been picking a National Trust/English Heritage type place we haven't been to before and making a day of it. Sometimes we end up at an event by accident and that's even better!

GetKnitted Mon 21-Apr-14 22:32:56

1) Don't spend too much of the day in the car.
2) Plenty to do for all ages.
3) I don't spend too much money.
4) Home in time for bed time so that there is plenty of break time in the evening.

WhoAteAllTheEasterEggs Tue 22-Apr-14 19:36:34

We love days out, and usually have a lot of them! The perfect, stress free day out would include taking a picnic basket full of food and drink so we wouldn't have to pay the extortionate cafe prices in some of the places. Plus, it's more fun to take a picnic and sit on the grass if it's nice weather.
With two over excitable young boys who are only happy when they're running around and letting off steam, somewhere with a huge adventure playground with plenty of things to climb on/swing on would make for a lovely day out.
They get to run about and have fun and we get to relax too. smile

lottietiger Tue 22-Apr-14 22:25:27

We look for somewhere where ds can run around without breaking anything! Outdoors if possible as he loves getting dirty, if not something interactive indoors. I don't mind paying a reasonable entry price if it takes all day to see and not a tenner and your finished in 2 hours. My major bug bear is paying to get in and then finding all the "attractions" cost extra aargh.
We always take our own drinks as it's nice to have a meal in the cafe sometimes as a treat but soft drinks at £1.50 each soon adds up. We take snacks too so it's just one trip to eat and the drinks and snacks keep us going.

Hopezibah Tue 22-Apr-14 23:19:24

lots to keep the kids busy and happy is essential for a great day out. Easy to get to with plenty of parking reduces stress levels too. I love places with good quality eateries (not just trying to cash in with rubbish food but somewhere you can truly enjoy a high quality meal). I don't mind paying more for good food.

Clean facilities make me more likely to return again in future.

Kveta Wed 23-Apr-14 13:32:55

somewhere with shelter (and even better, stuff to do!) in case it rains. a cafe that sells edible and affordable food, not just dry cake slices for £3 and a can of fizz for £1.50. clean loos, and baby changing facilities with a toilet in them, so parent can use the loo whilst child is in buggy - it makes such a difference to be able to do that if you're on a day out without any other adults, but you have small children with you!

the perfect day though will involve the weather being good, and that is really down to luck!

MakkaPakkasSponge Thu 24-Apr-14 05:58:05

For me the important things are:
Good weather (can't do much about that!),
Good facilities - picnic areas, clean loos and baby changing, nice cafe, a soft play area or play park for little ones.
Crowds put me off so I try to go at off peak times (although this will get harder as DC start school).
I generally go for cheap deals, use vouchers, 2for1, or choose activities that are free.

ChasedByBees Thu 24-Apr-14 07:33:49

We like national trust - wide spaces for toddler to run around in, nice views and things look at. Clean, good facilities, nice cafes and room for picnics if you prefer. Lovely!

HeartStarCircleSquare Thu 24-Apr-14 10:56:55

Great days out usually include a picnic which is always attacked by a stray leadless dog, where do they all come from? we live near some great places for long walks and I put the little one in the sling and the two youngest get some fresh air and exercise walking.

Taking really little ones somewhere you don't have to worry about anything breaking or cars just means mum and dad can relax too. If the place also happens to have a beer garden.. well who am I to complain? grin

HeartStarCircleSquare Thu 24-Apr-14 11:02:24

oh and "perfect" usually means free to us too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now