This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Share your views on healthy and balanced diets – you could win a £200 Love2Shop voucher NOW CLOSED

(103 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 25-Mar-14 09:39:45

We all know that there is a lot of advice out there on how to go about having a 'healthy' and 'balanced' diet, but at times it can feel like a bit of a mine field. So, we'd love to hear about your thoughts and experiences on knowing what the right foods are to feed you and your family.

Below are a few points to get you started, but feel free to add any other comments you have:
- When it comes to 'healthy eating' are there any things that you feel particularly confused about? If so, what are they? Why are they confusing?
- Is providing your family with a healthy and balanced diet something that you feel confident about? If so why, if not, why not?
- Please share your experiences on how you go about sourcing the right nutritional advice on providing a healthy diet for you and your family.

Everyone who adds a comment will be entered into a prize draw to win a £200 Love2Shop voucher.

Thanks, and good luck!
MNHQ

EwanHoozami Thu 03-Apr-14 10:16:11

- When it comes to 'healthy eating' are there any things that you feel particularly confused about? If so, what are they? Why are they confusing?

I find it confusing that despite plentiful and credible evidence to the contrary, the government's main messages on healthy eating dictate that low-fat is optimal for health. A recent leaflet that came home in my 4 year-old's school bag advised me to switch to semi-skimmed milk, for example. GPs regularly spend NHS funds on subsidising obese patients to attend Weight Watchers or Slimming World, which in my opinion exist to keep their customers yo-yo dieting and miserable on their low-fat high-carb regime. It's becoming more apparent that sugar is the root cause of the weight problem in the UK so why the misinformation that high-carb (i.e. high sugar) regimes are the way forward?

- Is providing your family with a healthy and balanced diet something that you feel confident about? If so why, if not, why not?

I feel fairly confident that my family get a balanced diet. Lots of green veg, good clean protein and natural fats. I hold pretty strong views on fat vs. sugar but I'm realistic enough that chocolate and cake etc is widely available, attractive to children and my boys are going to have a certain amount in their diets. I don't want to be the po-faced mum that whips birthday cake off their plates at a party, but I do try and educate them that it's not an ideal source of nutrition and should be eaten sparingly (I don't use the word "treat" to describe sugary snacks to them however)

- Please share your experiences on how you go about sourcing the right nutritional advice on providing a healthy diet for you and your family.

I read a fair bit about low-carb and paleo nutrition, particularly from Briffa, Taubes and resources such as Mark's Daily Apple. I find Eat Like A Dinosaur a good starting point for a healthy diet for children that doesn't include loads of grain and sugar. I'm certainly pretty cynical about "healthy eating" messages from either the government or the big food industries (who are too closely linked for comfort in my humble, slightly tin-foil-hatted opinion..)

midwifeandmum Thu 03-Apr-14 18:17:29

Very difficult to get greens into dds both are 2 and 5. I find mixing them in with mash potatoes and gravy helps

mamaduckbone Tue 08-Apr-14 22:47:50

I feel pretty confident on what the right foods are to feed my children - they est plenty of fruit and Vegas and unhealthy snacks like chocolate and crisp are a treat rather than an everyday part of their diet. The only thing I find difficult is judging portion sizes, since I have 2 boys who are both very tall for their age and have very healthy appetites. I struggle with finding food to.fill them that is still good for them, especially when they get home from.school starving!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now