This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Tell Toyota what you look for in a car and see what MNers thought of their Hybrid range! £200 voucher to be won NOW CLOSED

(107 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 03-Mar-14 09:28:39

You may have recently seen that 7 Mumsnetters attended an event day at Toyota HQ all about hybrid cars. Now, Toyota have asked us to find out what other Mumsnetters look for in a car.

Toyota say, “Toyota have been making hybrid cars for over 12 years and have sold over 2.4 million Prius Hybrid models to date, but there are still many myths surrounding this technology, like do hybrids need special fuel? (No!) Does a hybrid save me road tax? (Yes!) How does it feel to drive a hybrid?”

Below is a video of the event day. Please watch it and let us know your thoughts. (To read the feedback of Mumsnetters who attended the day please click here.)

Mumsnetters who attended the event commented on different aspects of Toyota hybrids including cost effectiveness, technical features found in the cars and its spaciousness. How do these rank for you when purchasing a car? What other optional extras do you look for? A feature that’ll park the car itself, perhaps? Or maybe car seat heating? Whatever it is, we’d love to hear about it!

Everyone who adds their thoughts to this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £200 Love2Shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

SnowieBear Tue 18-Mar-14 13:03:04

Got a 4 year old Prius T4 and now replacing it through work with an Auris Tourer Hybrid - can't wait! My Prius has been great for the last four years and I look forward to a bit more space in the boot for the next car.

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Mar-14 09:20:00

Hi everyone, thanks for posting your thoughts on the thread. Congratulations to TopsysMum who has won the £200 Love2Shop voucher! We'll be in touch shortly.

kateandme Mon 17-Mar-14 04:41:30

fuel iffeciancy.
space in the boot
enough leg room for the kids to grow into in the back as far too many are so tight
4 doors preferably

missmrsmummy Sun 16-Mar-14 17:28:11

Oops and cup holders!

missmrsmummy Sun 16-Mar-14 17:27:16

In my next car, I'm looking for:

- heated windscreen (it seems that only Ford do these at the moment)
- 5 doors
- low insurance
- good mpg
- 1.2 engine
- central locking
- can connect to iPod/iPhone
- spacious boot
- isofix for car seat

Hope that's useful! I've been happy with my Aygo but just need a step up.

IncaAztec Sun 16-Mar-14 08:32:37

I am looking for:

-Isofix for the car seats (vital)
-Decent boot space
-Locking windows/doors from the front
-Cup holders
-Decent choice of spec - 1.4 petrol preferred
-Low running costs
-A local dealership

ManeMrsS Sat 15-Mar-14 07:35:59

Seeking :
Good mpg
Height - so can put toddler in seat without bending too much
4x4 - As rural
Large boot for dog and pushchairs
Classic lines
Easy to clean upholstery (mud and crisps don't mix well!) - leather is perfect but too expensive an option

amaradnas Thu 13-Mar-14 19:35:58

I first look at petrol/diesel consumption, then look for reliability and space needed for the family. Style is important and I've got to like the windows. My present car has arm-rests which I couldn't do without in my next car.
One of the most important things for me is that the seats are soft and comfortable. I also prefer an automatic, especially for driving around town.
I prefer conservative colours and therefore wouldn't consider a red or yellow car, even though it is safer and can be easily seen. Black is hard to see at night but I might consider as it may not need washing often!

xxxkadzxxx Thu 13-Mar-14 19:16:54

I would LOVE a car which parked itself! My dream car would have heated seats, built in sat nav, plenty of storage, parking sensors (front and back), fold down seats (which could also be half down if i wanted) Any car i have must be 5 door so the children can get in and out easily. Childlock is a bonus for when i have young children in the car. A good sound system is nice, i love listening to music. Good heaters is a must! My car heaters take ages to heat up which isn't good on a cold day! I would like a car which is cheap to run eg; fuel, tax, insurance. I dont know about hybrid or electric cars as i have never tried them but i would be interested to take them for a test drive to see how i get on. The one thing i really would not want it to have is magnified mirrors! My car has them and Vauxhall claim its a safety features but it drives me mad (excuse the pun wink) and makes it near impossible for me to drive! Last but not least the colour and style play a big part! I like my car to look nice, smart and a little sexy! It doesn't have to be sleek but it has to look good!

TopsysMum Thu 13-Mar-14 16:52:08

I look for:

Seats that will fit three child car seats across the back
Big boot
Hard wearing upholstery
Sat nav
Parking sensors
Good size door pockets
Cup holders
Pockets for the kids to use
Decent size fold down seats in boot (ie that an adult could sit in if needs be! Not like the ones in the Verso)
Sliding doors
12v sockets

chewbecca47 Thu 13-Mar-14 12:20:37

Smooth ride, fuel economy, good looks, nice interior, quality sound system, environmentally friendly... Oh, and child friendly too! ;)

Bubbles85 Thu 13-Mar-14 06:12:29

I look for a car that is comfortable and practical - not too big, comfortable, relaxing to drive... I must admit that as my current car has heated seats I would want that next time too!

Pooka Wed 12-Mar-14 19:39:42

Oh and my last car but one was a Toyota verso. I liked it very much, but it wasn't as responsive as current car and felt bigger strangely despite being smaller. Then had a honda frv which felt like it had better build quality. But was ugly.

Pooka Wed 12-Mar-14 19:37:26

The things I look for:

Fuel economy
Space for 3 kids and some friends
Comfortable seats and ability to adjust driving position for 6ft dh and for 5 ft 5 me.
Automatically retracting side mirrors (live on a busy road)

I currently drive a 10 plate ford s-max. I love it, in the main. The boot is scarily big when no kids in the pop up seats. Does mean that it looks like a complete dump because I rarely have to take things out to make space.

It drives really really well. Is a big car but has some poke - and while is. 2.2l it seems to have pretty good fuel economy. Can easily drive 350 miles to Cornwall, around Cornwall, and then some of the trip back on one tank.

crashbangboom Tue 11-Mar-14 21:08:53

We need seven full seats and the ability to accomadate Extended rearfacing seats. Don't want storage boxes.

Lent1l Tue 11-Mar-14 12:08:14

We replaced our car about 18 months ago and spent a long time looking at lots of brands of cars to see what to go for. At the time we had just one 6 month old. We now have a second on the way and this was within our thoughts when we bought the new car - how will it work with two little ones. The things we looked for were:-
- When a car seat is in place in the back seats how much room is there for the people in the front? We are both quite tall and this doscounted several cars for us as we could not get comfortable positions in the front when the car seat was properly in place as the front seats were forced forward too far.
- How well does our buggy fit in the boot and what space remains for other luggage/shopping etc?
- Visibility from the driver's seat all round - several cars we tried had large areas at the very front of the front doors that caused visbility problems and roundabouts would be problematic.
- Drivers comfort. I suffer from back problems so those cars that passed the first three tests we took for extended test drives to see how my back felt once I was able to fully adjust the seat. Was I still comfortable after half an hour?
- Road noise from the car when driving on a motorway? We found some cars were too noisy on a motorway and made even normal conversation quite difficult.

Once we'd got past all of that we then looked at the specs of the car, as by this time we had narrowed down the make and model and then it was about which specific version of each model and what it offered for the price. Things like cruise control for long journeys; petrol or diesel; engine efficiency; insurance group.

As you can see for us the most important aspects were space and layout and then the spec of the car. Some hybrids had to be discounted as the boot space was taken up by the battery and with small children you need a boot that can fit the kitchen sink!!

WheresTheCoffee Mon 10-Mar-14 16:58:21

Air con, big boot and a cup holder grin

ceh1980 Sun 09-Mar-14 22:02:56

I wanted a Toyota Avensis having hired one but they were beyond my budget! So, what I look for in a car;

Reliability - warranty deals are always welcome
Safety - features to protect those in the back (esp my baby) as well as the adults up front inc Isofix
Fuel Economy - protecting my bank balance and the environment are of equal importance
Adjustable drivers seat and steering wheel - I am only 5'2" I need things to be able to change between me and my fiance
Big boot- Somewhere to put the buggy and goodness knows what else when we go away
Heated seat - great for easing an aching back!
Parking assist - for my fiance, not me honest, he is a newish driver!

And finally, I want it to look good, have a great entertainment system be a price I can afford and drive well too!!

I know, I don't ask for much......

twoboots Sun 09-Mar-14 19:55:16

Blue tooth
heated seats
digital radio
rear window warmer
High MPG
Permenant new car smell!

4yoniD Sun 09-Mar-14 19:10:46

Good boot space
Roof rails for my roof box
Would be nice if I could get 3 car seats in the back
Sliding doors, a little extra headroom for getting kids in their carseats.
Air con, electric windows,
Rear parking sensors which are accurately configured (I LOVE mine!)
short bonnet (so I don't crunch it) and a flattish back (similar reasons)
Not a giant tank - a sensible size
not a van - cars look better and drive better
sensible mileage.
Middle size engine. I don't want a 1.1 and I don't want a 2L. 1.4-1.6 please.
Oh, and I want it all for a good price!

PS
Why not be different and NOT charge for paint?!

Lovewhereilive Sat 08-Mar-14 22:25:40

Safety is the most importand consideration, followed closely by boot space (lug a lot of footballs and camping gear around!).
Comfort and reliability
Blue tooth good.
7 seats a bonus

PloddingDaily Sat 08-Mar-14 20:55:54

My car essentials would be...

Safe (top rating ncap)
Fuel efficient & with low running costs
Well built, with good performance & handling across the range of speeds / road types,
Reasonable bootspace & sensibly functional interior- plastics not cheap & tacky looking...

My 'luxuries' (fantasy?! grin) would be:
Heated 'leather' (the manmade type for ease of cleaning the kids' sticky finger marks off! grin)
Heated windscreen to ease / speed deicing on cold mornings whilst the kids riot in the car
Auto lights reduces decision making when addled
Ability to link phone etc to stereo / carphone system
Parking sensors with loud beeps that I can hear over the kids
Rear power points for plugging kiddy entertainment junk chargers in...

Don't ask much, do I?! blush grin

Benzalkonium Sat 08-Mar-14 14:56:37

I would only be able to buy a 2nd hand car and the single thing that would determine the purchase would be is the car likely to stay on the road without any maintenance for more than 1 year.

So no built in obsolescence please!

ILoveMyCaravan Sat 08-Mar-14 12:48:16

I'd look for:
Seats which are high enough to be able to slide onto them, preferably leather.
Seats which are easily adjustable up/down, forwards/backwards.
Enormous boot.
Very good all round visibility.
Very efficient demisters all round
Air con/climate control.
Definitely automatic and a diesel engine
Good sound system/speakers and built in sat nav
Lots of storage space
Tinted rear windows
USBs, charging points in the rear
front and rear parking sensors
Five doors
Capable of towing a caravan!

I look for cheap car tax & insurance, reliable, reasonably fuel efficient and enough boot space for us to take our camping gear. I also look for the car to be comfortable for me to drive - I'm short and like to sit quite upright when driving and I find some cars don't adjust enough for me (my ideal car would allow us to save driver profiles for the driver's seat so that we didn't have to adjust the seat manually every time).

There's not many optional extras I would look for but I do love our heated windscreen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now