Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Tell Toyota what you look for in a car and see what MNers thought of their Hybrid range! £200 voucher to be won NOW CLOSED

(107 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 03-Mar-14 09:28:39

You may have recently seen that 7 Mumsnetters attended an event day at Toyota HQ all about hybrid cars. Now, Toyota have asked us to find out what other Mumsnetters look for in a car.

Toyota say, “Toyota have been making hybrid cars for over 12 years and have sold over 2.4 million Prius Hybrid models to date, but there are still many myths surrounding this technology, like do hybrids need special fuel? (No!) Does a hybrid save me road tax? (Yes!) How does it feel to drive a hybrid?”

Below is a video of the event day. Please watch it and let us know your thoughts. (To read the feedback of Mumsnetters who attended the day please click here.)

Mumsnetters who attended the event commented on different aspects of Toyota hybrids including cost effectiveness, technical features found in the cars and its spaciousness. How do these rank for you when purchasing a car? What other optional extras do you look for? A feature that’ll park the car itself, perhaps? Or maybe car seat heating? Whatever it is, we’d love to hear about it!

Everyone who adds their thoughts to this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £200 Love2Shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

Maiyakat Mon 03-Mar-14 21:36:07

Relatively small car but decent sized boot. Would like a hybrid but find them comparatively more expensive.

ErrolTheDragon Mon 03-Mar-14 21:38:28

Safety, fuel economy, big enough but not too big, easy to park.

So... my current car is a diesel Toyota Avensis hatchback with parking sensors. DH's is the same but a bit older with no sensors. He had planned to change about now but can't find anything that suits as well ... WTF did Toyota stop making the hatchback Avensis leaving just the saloon (impractical for load carrying) or estate (too big). He looked at the new Golf estate, it's ok but seems to have some fussy gizmos (turning itself off, some sort of auto-handbrake) which he's dubious about.

>Ideally a built in pull out bike rack.
that'd be awesome. And I'd love someone to invent a way for a shortarse to get something like a windsurf board onto a roofrack....

Nouseforausername Mon 03-Mar-14 21:52:46

a car without 'quirks' my megane has a leaky door and the passenger window decided to open itself and I had to arse around with a fuse for 30 mins trying to mend the bugger! angry

sharond101 Mon 03-Mar-14 22:00:43

Good fuel efficiency
Good boot space - suitable for dog and buggy all at once
5 doors
Good heating inside and air con when needed
Heated windscreen
tinted windows
nice colour (purple is good)

Paintyfingers Mon 03-Mar-14 22:37:43

Tend to look at which scores for reliability.

stephgr Tue 04-Mar-14 01:14:47

I most need:
safety, reliability, low fuel consumption and low insurance costs. In an ideal world I'd have a car which drives itself!

Grennie Tue 04-Mar-14 01:28:59

Good mileage
Reliability - I read reviews of other car owners and common problems
Cheaper replacement parts and easy to get parts for repairs
Decent sized boot to transport stuff
Good value
A comfortable driver's seat including positioning of pedals. Too many cars are designed with the average height of men in mind. I am shorter
5 doors, with back seats that are easy to get into.
The look of the car. I don't mind driving a boring looking car, but I refuse to drive a "girly" car.
Visibility out of the back windscreen. Rejected a lovely car on that basis, the last car I bought. Poor visibility means poorer safety.
Safety

lionheart Tue 04-Mar-14 13:25:49

Top of the list would be safety and environmental concerns. Aside from cost, reliability is important.

The next car I have will also need to be comfy for teenagers/older children so will need to be roomy. I had thought that a more compact car would do once car seats and buggies were done with but was wrong about that.
I also look for style and practicality (actually, a decent coffee cup holder). Really dislike the fiddly interior bits which are impossible to clean.

Fletch049 Tue 04-Mar-14 15:25:14

The first thing I check is the boot if its to small I wont even bother carrying on looking at the car, then if its ok i will check for tinted back windows, comfy driving seat and sat nav

Fifyfomum Tue 04-Mar-14 16:50:03

-Fuel Economy
-Three FULL SIZED seats in the back, not two seats and a half seat
-good visibility
-good suspension (the roads in England aren't getting any better)

That is basically what I covet in a car.

BlueJean Tue 04-Mar-14 17:10:26

I have leather seats because they are easier to clean .But all of the creases and seams mean they still take ages to clean properly. A moulded seat with no creases or seams would fit the bill. Or even - like Ikea -offer seat covers that will look good- not boy racerish with go faster stripes. Just like the originals but in one piece.

A boot that doesnt have such a huge lip that I need the strength of two men to get heavy items out again. Lifting at an angle is a sure way to get a bad back.

Side windows that are easily cleared of condensation /rain/ snow etc. I have electric front and rear screens that clear easily.I cant wind down the side windows to clear them because there are no brushes on the opening and the air vents arent strong enough to make a difference. I could drive with the windows open -but that aint happening in pouring rain.

Sun blinds that will keep me from being blinded no matter what angle to sun is at. There doesnt seem to have been any changes in visor design for many years .But they dont do a proper job .Side window blinds or shading would help too.

I am small -but not smaller than a lot of women. I always find I am strangled by the seat belt that rises up toward my neck as the journey goes on.Longer slots for the seat belt adjuster would help greatly.

addictedtosugar Tue 04-Mar-14 19:55:58

Reliability.
5 doors essential
Space in the back seat - those big car seats bring little people close enough to kick the drivers kidneys.
Space in the boot - doesn't fit an umbrella fold pushchair? Out

I'd love the rear sun screens that are built into some models in hot places.

Oh, and listen up Toyota. A garage that doesn't lie to you.

Grennie Tue 04-Mar-14 19:59:38

Totally agree about the seat belt around your neck. Basically remember that women are generally shorter than men and design for us as well.

Punkatheart Tue 04-Mar-14 20:01:09

i loathe heated seats. It reminds me of my CT scan, where I thought I had wet myself! I would just like it simple and spacious.

lottietiger Tue 04-Mar-14 20:03:28

My wishlist
A boot that's large enough to fit a pushchair and ten bags of shopping.
Wifi so that films/tv/music can be downloaded in the back.
Heated windscreen front & rear
leather seats as easier to clean
Decent storage behind the front seats for books, games etc
Cup holder and table in the back
lots of lights in the back and mirrors on both visors

and the obvious ones

Cheap tax
good fuel efficiency
safety features, abs, air bags etc
4 doors
electric mirrors

Hopezibah Tue 04-Mar-14 20:22:46

We look for size / seating to ensure it is suitable to fit all the car seats it needs to. Then car boot size / space to fit buggies etc. If all that is ok, then things like car tax, fuel efficiency, and environmental impact.

Additional handy features we've found with our toyota is a cup holder in daddy's car (the kids love that!), electric windows that can be locked. We just have them in the front but next time would look for it on all windows!

Something we had in a previous car which sounds very tiny but i found so useful was a little plastic clip in the glove box which a pen could clip into - it saved me so much time as i didn't have to scrabble all the way through the glove box to find the pen!

The good thing about the old days with cars was that the simpler things could be repaired cheaply and easily and it is a shame that it costs a small fortune these days to repair things like wing mirrors etc. If only there was a solution to that!

Wjjkl Tue 04-Mar-14 20:49:11

We look for the following..
Boot space
Headroom - we are both tall & a lot of cars are surprisingly lacking
Leg room - same reason as headroom!
Drive ability - we want a good size car but not so big it's a pain to drive round town or park

I look for cars that are cheap to run and insure. As long as there is room for a few kids and a small dog we're happy. Doesn't even have to be that roomy as we're nit very tall.
smile

DH is a bit more particular, but then his is the main family car and mine is the smaller runaround.

mjmooseface Wed 05-Mar-14 11:50:46

When I get around to buying a car, I'm not going to buy brand new. Just because, due to my newfound clumsiness, I have been through enough phones/plates/mugs/laptops in the last few years that I wouldn't trust myself to keep a brand new car in pristine condition!! So I'd need a car that...

1, is durable. Cars aren't cheap, neither's the tax and insurance, so I'd like a car that's going to last the changing seasons, kids, many years, any scrapes etc.

2, has lots of room for growing kids and whatever may be needed for long car journeys. I can't wait for that day when I can load up the car with anything we might need, as opposed to packing as light as possible to go out for the day on the train!

3, has a way of linking phones/ipods to play music.

4, has 5 doors! I once tripped on a seat belt and flew out of a car where there wasn't 5 doors and we had to push the front seat forward!! Never again!

BlackeyedSusan Wed 05-Mar-14 12:04:49

I want a large boot, and yes a car that is easy to clean up vomit, and wee. it has to be reliable and make the sodding bulbs in the lights easy to get at. and safe/ in all things safe to protect the children if the worse happens.

telsa Wed 05-Mar-14 13:15:17

If I ever got I car, I would look for two wheels, a comfortable saddle, good luggage facilities, a loud bell, well calibrated gears....oh hang on, that is a bike.

billybear Wed 05-Mar-14 19:09:07

got a yaris last year cheap insurance , cheap road tax, uses less petrol, easier to park smaller car, good looking car, good for enough room in boot for our shopping, comfy seats a great car all round

SaltySeaBird Wed 05-Mar-14 19:46:47

Things I need in a new car:
-fuel efficient
-cheap road tax
-reliable with parts that don't cost the earth to replace
-bluetooth stereo and with integrated hands free
-good internal storage solutions
-nice styling (don't make me feel like I'm sitting in a plastic spaceship)
-good view of the road (I'm 5"4 and have had hire cars with poor visability, but a great view of acres of plastic dashboard)
- not too wide (or I struggle to park it in our garage)

Things I want in a new car:
-convertible. I've had three, they are great fun. The last one was very much a case of "baby forces sale" ...

CrewElla Wed 05-Mar-14 19:57:03

I need a roomy, fuel efficient, powerful people carrier. I have two young boys, two grown (man-sized!) stepsons, and I'd like us all to fit comfortably in the same vehicle. Would it be too much to ask for enough room for two backpack carriers and a picnic basket too?

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Wed 05-Mar-14 20:10:04

Reliable and economical to service and repair

Heated front windscreen and mirrors so I can get started asap on cold mornings

A car that feels powerful and nippy to drive but with excellent fuel economy

Good quality, easy to fit add-ons such as tough boot liners/bike carriers etc

Sensibly placed cup holders - so many aren't well thought-through

Flexible seating for at least 5 and preferrably 7

High driving position

Holds its value well

A car that's a good work-horse but with a bit of spit and polish, feels luxurious - must have easy to clean internal surfaces that will handle what the kids throw at them

Must DEFINITELY NOT be so lovely that they break your heart when after years of service, they finally cost more to repair than they are worth and you have to get your DH to drive them on their last journey because you can't see for tears. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now