Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

How best to share pregnancy news with your boss: share your stories and tips with PG tips Decaf and you could win £250 NOW CLOSED

(88 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 28-Feb-14 11:02:33

We know it's sometimes tricky to break your pregnancy news to your boss or line manager or even colleagues - the team at PG Tips Decaf would like to hear your top tips for this time.

They say "With early pregnancy being - sometimes - a tricky time - with lots of advice and do's and don'ts to absorb with PG Tips Decaf you're able to enjoy a caffeine-free cuppa - enabling you to carry on enjoying your favourite brew without the caffeine"

So please share on this thread....

~ when's the best time to share the news with your employer(s)? - both in terms of your pregnancy and other things going on at work
~ when's the worst time?
~ how did you explain / excuse any morning sickness bouts?
~ how did you tell your boss and what was their reaction?

Please share your tips and stories on this thread: everyone who does will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win a £250 voucher for the store of their choice.

thanks and good luck

MNHQ

nerysw Sat 08-Mar-14 11:02:33

The best time is after your first scan I think when you have a clear idea of a due date and know that things are ok. It depends a lot on the relationship you have with your boss but a meeting just about that would be a good idea, instead of an ad on to another work conversation. The first time I told my boss when and how I wanted to but the second time I had to explain not being in work one weekend after being rushed into hospital a few days after finding out I was pregnant. Luckily all was fine and everyone at work knew before my family and close friends.
My workplace is great and as we're a small team people were very understanding of my pale greyness in the mornings and constant eating for the rest of the day!

Naughty22 Sat 08-Mar-14 11:31:03

Probably not the best time but definitely got the best results..
When I was about 7wks pregnant with DS1 I got called into a meeting with my male CEO who told me he was having to make me redundant. It was a massive shock and I burst into tears and announced "But I'm pregnant!" He said "oh, congratulations, I'll just call HR in.." smile
Consequently, they extended my 'redundancy notice period' so that I qualified for SMP and cut my weekly hours down to achieve this so I didn't even have to work as much. The tasks dried up after a while and they then weren't bothered about me spending time at my desk setting up my own business for post-employment!

Sixgeese Sun 09-Mar-14 00:42:20

For DD2, I had only been back from my second maternity leave a couple of months when I got pregnant again.

Our old director who had left during my previous maternity leave was visiting the office, I was only I was 5 weeks pregnant and obviously I hadn't told anyone yet.

He bumped into me and my line manager having a chat just outside the building, stopped and said "when does your next maternity leave start then?", I didn't know what to say, and ended up spluttering and saying not for a while yet, still early days etc.

It turned out he was joking as DS and DD1 were quite close together in age and he had no idea I was expecting DC3.

Not the way I planned on telling my Line manager, but I swore her to silence for the next few weeks.

I do have to tell them early as I have high risk pregnancies and lots of hospital appointments with haematology and Maternity to see me safely through the pregnancy and while I tried to get them on my days off some fell on working days.

The HR appointment was fun....the Bank I worked for was mainly based in Docklands, but my office was in the City, all the facilities for Pregnant/ breast feeding women were at the Docklands office, she had a tick list that she had to go through explaining about the quiet room I could use for a nap, or on my return to express and store milk, which was an 40 minute round trip from my office, not very useful for me, hopefully they considered the requirements to provide for the staff working in other sites

WheresTheCoffee Mon 10-Mar-14 16:48:06

My boss at the time was horrible, so I told her as late as I could and treated the the conversation like ripping off a plaster...as quickly as possible!

idleweiss Tue 11-Mar-14 19:47:41

Not long after I started a new part time job last year, my boss was asking me about my two little ones and asked me if I was planning to have more..I answered..yes, I'm actually pregnant with my third!! She was really good about it!! smile

crashbangboom Tue 11-Mar-14 21:37:51

~ when's the best time to share the news with your employer(s)? - both in terms of your pregnancy and other things going on at work

For me I had to have early scans and unfortunately manager told people.

~ when's the worst time?
after you've told everyone but them!

No need - everyone in the region knew because of indiscreet colleagues.

Indifferent- she didn't care. Higher management only interested In leaving date and pushed me to leave early.

thesoupdragon44 Wed 12-Mar-14 11:47:19

I didn't tell my boss till I was 4 months pregnant it was a bit tricky as after changing jobs I fell pregnant in the first month. I hid morning sickness with packets of gingernuts. I didn't tell the other people in the office till I was 5 months and hid behind baggy tops! at 8 months people still didn't believe me as I had such a neat bump!
I think judge telling people as you feel comfy and don't feel a pressure to tell just because you have to. It should be an exciting time, but sometimes your safety at work will mean telling all earlier than you would like!

Rbeernae Thu 13-Mar-14 09:12:20

I think it is best to tell asap. That way the can be there for you in case something goes wrong or you are sick etc.
With both my pregnancies I told my employers before I was 10 weeks. Each time I was nervous. The first time because I didn't know how they would react and the second time because I had only just returned from maternity leave. But both times both my bosses knew already and wondered when I would tell them. They knew because they noticed the amount of food on my desk as well as my frequent trips to the loo to be sick.

chewbecca47 Thu 13-Mar-14 12:15:30

By putting my scan picture on a massive screensaver, lol... :P

Theoldhag Thu 13-Mar-14 12:37:28

I arrived at work in time for my lovely boss to hand over to me, she made cuppas and we sat down, I took my first sip and had to promptly put my cup down and run to the nearest toilet. I had my head down it and was puking, boss piped up 'oldhag' I think I will pop and get a pregnancy test for you and promptly popped to chemist over the road.

I remember sitting with my colleagues and boss in the office all waiting for the line to appear grin

Was a jolly good day

xxxkadzxxx Thu 13-Mar-14 20:55:58

I always think you are best to confess when you are 3 months pregnant, after your 1st scan. You dont want to risk losing your job in the early stages, you need to keep hold of it for as long as your able to work when your expecting to get all the money saved you can!
The worst time is before its confirmed! Dont tell your boss that you think you might be and treat them as a friend, only tell them when you are 100% sure your pregnant. They may know your trying for a baby and put you at the top of the redundant list if you let them know!
Luckily i have my own office at work so people didn't really see me popping out to the loo!
I was in a really hard situation. My boss is also my best friend! I couldn't tell him about my pregnancy as i wanted to wait until i was 100% sure and until 3 months had passed to ensure we were on the right track and he didn't start to look for a replacement before i had gone! I didn't only have to tell him i was pregnant but also had to explain why i hadn't told him sooner as he is my best bud! i think that is what upset him the most, understandably.
The business was in a pretty bad way which made things worse, i felt i was really letting him down but also being selfish about it for not warning him sooner but i just couldn't afford to be out of a job. I knew he would need someone else in asap to take my place, at least i though i knew! Turned out he was a star, i worked up until 2 weeks before my due date and he allowed me to pick and choose the hours i came in. He kept my job open for me and let me work from home when it was possible to save me from going into work.
The only problem is i felt i had to return quickly so i didn't take advantage but i done a couple of hours a day and the rest from home, the other staff were also great and took a lot of my workload for me until i returned to work full time! smile

dandm12 Fri 14-Mar-14 06:22:55

I think as soon as you can, depending on when you feel comfortable sharing the news. For me that was after my 12 week scan, but I realise that this might not be the case for everyone! I'm not sure I could have hidden it much longer though!
~ when's the worst time?
Maybe first thing Monday morning - let then have a cuppa and settle into the week first!
Luckily I wasn't too bad - just super tired so could pass it off as being under the weather.
I asked her for a catch up and let her know. I was really nervous about telling her but she was lovely! Gave me a hug and congratulated me. And told me not to worry about anything. Was a big relief!

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Mar-14 10:21:09

Hello am pleased to say that LouiseFromLondon wins the £250 voucher!
Congrats! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now