This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Do you have an online energy account? Talk to E.ON for a chance to win a £200 voucher NOW CLOSED

(124 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 08-Jan-14 12:29:13

E.ON has asked us to find out about Mumsnetters' experiences with using online energy accounts.

Here's what E.ON have to say "Do you manage your energy online? We're keen to find out how we can make our online service more customer friendly, and tailor it to your needs."

So, do you have an online account? How regularly do you use it, and why? If you don't have an account, why not? Is there anything your energy company could do to entice you to go online with them?

Would you like to see an app for energy companies? If so, what features should it have?

Is there anything else that you would like to be able to do online with your energy company?

Everyone who adds a comment to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £200 voucher (a "Compliments voucher" - a multi-store gift voucher that can be spent at 130 retailers and 450 independent stores making up over 20,000 outlets nationwide).

Thanks and good luck,
MNHQ

For prize draw terms and conditions please click here - by posting on the thread you are agreeing to these terms

museumworker Thu 16-Jan-14 11:21:24

I do have an online account, although I rarely use it - perhaps 3-4 times a year. Last time was to check which energy deal I was on (so I could swap!) As I'm on direct debit, and paperless billing, there seems little need to go online. An app could be of interest, as it would be easier to log on. I would use it to check my energy deal, and usage, if it told you how much you were using a day/how that compared to previous days/months in a very visual way. Perhaps there could be benefits - like entering into prize draw if you input your meter readings once a month? That would motivate me to stay on top of my energy usage and use the app more regularly.

WowOoo Thu 16-Jan-14 13:20:48

I do have an online account.
I probably should check things more often than I do at the moment. Dh tells me that he checks it regularly so that's OK.
I think someone mentioned it up thread, but a % off the bill would certainly tempt me to use my online account more.

I'm not sure if I'd use an app or not. Things like comparing your energy usage with similar sized properties, your usage compared with last year and energy savings tips would be good.

Myrrhtle Thu 16-Jan-14 15:30:56

I use an online acct to enter gas and electricity meter readings when prompted by an email. Much better than having a meter reader come round!

Previously when we've wanted to check past bills and consumption in order to enter data into a utilities saving comparison website, I haven't found what I was looking for.

An app would be amazing to help me monitor energy useage "live" so i can prepare for bills which always shock me as there are much higher than I expect! I do have an online account with Southern and use it to pay bills as well as comparing bills from the past.

wilbur Thu 16-Jan-14 15:57:08

I use an online paperless billing account for energy. It works pretty well - I like being able to download pdfs of my bills to save for future ref. What I would like is some way of easily working out usage month by month - like an average daily usage but broken down. We had a gas leak discovered recently which had probably been going on for some time (looooong story involving energy company, Network Gas, Scotia Gas and a cast of thousands) and I am trying to work out how much gas we paid for that was wasted, iyswim. Being able to see that last Feb we used XX gas, and that this Feb we used X gas on average, would be really helpful. It might also have led to us discovering the leak sooner.

Spirael Thu 16-Jan-14 15:58:19

I have an online energy account and would love to use it, track usage, give meter readings and generally be energy and financially smart in all the ways it reputedly offers.

Unfortunately, my provider has royally screwed up their computer systems and made a total mess of my account to the point that they can't even bill me. Ridiculous!

I'd be happy, but no doubt they'll sort it out eventually and then land me with an enormous bill that requires paying off immediately...

wilbur Thu 16-Jan-14 15:58:46

Maybe a way of entering meter readings more regularly and then a text/email if you are using more than your set/usual amount?

asuwere Thu 16-Jan-14 16:11:55

I have an online account - it means paperless billing which is great. I get an monthly email asking for a meter reading and it has a link where I can do the reading without having to put in a password which is good so it's quick and easy.

I wouldn't use an app coz I don't have any devices that I can put apps on! smile

I have an online account with eon. I like the email they send to input the meter readings, great idea. I would like eon to suggest the best price plan for my useage as when I look at the options I end up more confused than ever.

I have an online account with spark, they are the cheapest for us as we are low users.
Was with SP before they hiked the prices by 20% and had their app, which was functional but not great.
I'd like an app which tells me my account balance in real time, and links to my Feed-in-Tariff so I can work out when it's best to use appliances.

Jas Thu 16-Jan-14 16:44:49

I have an online eon account, and am billed quarterly. I actually put in readings and pay monthly to avoid the big bills, but it allows me more flexibility on the payment amount/dates.

I would like to use it more, but every time I try and check the comparison (with "similar" and energy efficient homes) it only goes up to October 2013, so I can't tell if any of me recent efforts to reduce our usage are helpful or not.

I wouldn't use an app, but if the site was more responsive I would use that more. I don't need "real time" but a bit closer would be good

janekirk Thu 16-Jan-14 18:09:39

I think an online account would be even less clear than a paper statement already is!

I use EDF's online account and found it useful to see how much I was in cred/debit. However, I will always prefer to speak to someone on the phone as I find it's more reassuring to talk energy issues through with a real human being. (Living in stone age, I know.)

camtt Thu 16-Jan-14 18:57:04

I've recently started using an online energy account. I like being able to input regular meter readings but I had expected that the system would reconcile my readings and the money in (or not in) the account as soon as I put in the latest reading. It doesn't seem to do this, in fact 3 weeks since my last meter readings were input I still don't have an updated bill and I'm annoyed about this as it means I don't know whether I'm making the right payments/could afford to ue more heating etc, or not

missorinoco Thu 16-Jan-14 19:21:39

I have an online account.

I receive emails to submit a meter reading. I submit them and a paperless bill is generated.

Periodically the company (that would be you, Eon) messes up and sends me duplicate emails that make me think someone has hijacked my account.

Or the offer me an energy price comparison and tell me I am spending more energy than everyone around me. (Thanks, I mainly live near elderly couples without DC.)

What do I like - I don't have to wait for the card to tell me the meter reader didn't read my meter and will I call them.
I can't see much else in the way on benefits of the system. I think the companies save money on meter readers that they don't pass on to us.

Would I like an app? I would need a smart phone first.

I've had an online account for a few years now.
Love getting e-mail reminders to put in meter readings.
HATE being sent were your mate now, so here's a chatty e-mail about what you might like.
There is an app available, which keeps getting shoved down my throat - I don;t have a smart phone, so stop telling me about it.
Basically, I'd like to be able to remove myself from all correspondence except for those required for running my account.

I also really dislike (but don't think this is online related) you telling me how much my bill will be by your estimations when its twice what I used the previous year.

footflapper Thu 16-Jan-14 19:51:47

I have an online account with E.ON. I'm on a pre payment meter & it would be really handy to top up my electric online!

TheSporkforeatingkyriarchy Thu 16-Jan-14 19:54:44

I've tried to with EDF, but over months of trying to log in, it always gives me an error message and never actually got into the account. Even more frustrating, they assumed that since we had an online account (even though we never got into it to confirm) meant they could send everything to that instead which has led to a lot of problems. Never again.

zipzap Thu 16-Jan-14 21:37:52

We don't have an online energy account - more because we like to have paper copies of bills so we can see what is what and have it to file away. So far it seems that it's an either / or scenario - either you go online completely or you get to keep your paper bills. I want both - not least because these days up-to-date utility bills are one of the few ways that you have of proving your identity - and they don't accept print outs of online accounts in lots of places. So we need to keep a couple of things on paper so that dh and I both have the ability to use them to prove who we are.

So one thing that would be good would be the ability to have paper bills as well as access your account online.

Another would be to sort something out officially with the banks etc so that you can print off a copy of a utility bill from your account - or show them something on an app or maybe have a special certificate with a unique id code on or something - so that going paperless and online doesn't mean that you forfeit one of your ways of proving your identity.

Linked into that is the very old fashioned way that lots of utility companies set up their billing system - it's a nightmare to try to get 2 names onto an account if it is not coming from a joint account. It's not like being married is unusual - so why force one of us to be the name on the bill and account, let us both be on there. Likewise - hopefully it will be possible for both dh and I to access the account online or on an app with our own personal logins, regardless of who has their name on the bill. I'd like to be able to see who has done what with the account, online and offline.

Being able to submit meter readings, find out when meter readers are next due to come around (even if only in general terms if it is a long way in the future - say '6 months time'), see usage in real time (or on a daily basis or whatever the best possible way is, technology allowing), see the status of the account and any under or over payment, request any over payment be returned, sort out moving house, and see energy saving tips and offers would all be really useful things to have on a utility website or account.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 16-Jan-14 21:49:16

I have an online account. I never look at it as its too complicated and I can't remember customer number, password, etc. too much faff. If I could log in with a combination of postcode, dob and a PIN number it would be loads better.

MissRee Thu 16-Jan-14 21:52:56

I have an online account with BritishGas and also have their app. Ouse it a couple of times a month - once to do meter readings and then a week or so later to check my bill.

Love the fact that I get Nectar points with BG and I don't find them any more expensive than my previous supplier.

Theimpossiblegirl Thu 16-Jan-14 22:56:56

We stick to paper mainly because if we did everything online we'd never have any proof of address for things like CRB checks. I would be happy to put metre readings etc. online as long as I could have the occasional paper bill.

Featherbag Thu 16-Jan-14 22:59:40

I'm with Scottish Power, and I have an online account with them. However, their website and app for managing this account is truly shite. It rarely works properly, with a lot of functions either not existing behind a link or just not working. I'd like to be able to see all of my past bills (can do at present), input meter readings (can sometimes do, although even when it works it says it hasn't and throws out an error message), see past meter readings in both list and chart form so I can see my usage, speak to an advisor on web chat and request a call back.

skyeskyeskye Thu 16-Jan-14 23:06:12

I give online meter readings but get annoyed when I get a phone all reminder when I have requested emails.

An app might be good. Anything that kept costs down would be useful

daisybrown Thu 16-Jan-14 23:08:31

We find a paper bill much easier to understand, and easier to grab hold of when we need to check something on the bill. The bill box is always at hand but the computer isn't always on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now