Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Try Flora's Handy new tool and let us know what you think - you could win a £200 John Lewis voucher. NOW CLOSED

(67 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 13-Dec-13 10:01:26

Flora have just released a new browser based video player, Handy, that lets you control YouTube videos with a wave of a hand and they've asked us to find out what Mumsnetters' think of it.

Here's what Flora have to say: "Whipping up a storm and having fun in the kitchen is has just become even easier, thanks to the arrival of our new recipe player; Handy by Flora. Using specially designed gesture-control technology, Handy by Flora lets you pause, play and rewind any video you can find on YouTube with a simple wave of the hand."

Head to www.handybyflora.com, making sure you’re using a laptop with a webcam, copy the YouTube URL of the video you want to follow and get started.

So, what do you think of Handy? Did you find it easy to use? Would you find it useful for playing and following recipe videos? What other gadgets would you like to make baking easier?

Whatever you think about Handy, Flora would love to hear about it.

Everyone who posts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £200 John Lewis voucher.

Please note your comments may be included on Flora's social media channels, and possibly elsewhere, so please only post if you're comfortable with this.

Thanks and good luck,
MNHQ

PS - Handy by Flora is free to use and currently works on laptops through Chrome browsers only. There are plans to support other devices and web browsers soon.

shoom Sun 05-Jan-14 18:37:07

Good idea, worth pursuing.

It's an interesting idea, but pretty poor in the execution. It didn't pick up hand signals very well at all. To be honest I use Pinterest most of the time for collecting recipes and wouldn't have a laptop in the kitchen - I much prefer using my Kindle or tablet.

Lovewhereilive Sun 05-Jan-14 08:01:56

Love it! What a great idea.

WheresTheCoffee Sun 05-Jan-14 07:14:42

That sounds like a good idea, I always end up getting ingredients all over my ipad when I'm cooking!

OPeaches Sat 04-Jan-14 20:13:30

Cool! Love it. Would love to see it used for more. Brilliant technology.

TheDietStartsTomorrow Sat 04-Jan-14 09:03:08

A great idea that just needs to be developed further so there's an inclusion of more recipes. Writing recipes down in advance is a bit tedious for me and a video to stop and start as you go along is much better because I can actually see that my ingredients are looking like they are supposed. I follow a lot of video recipes so the number of phones and laptops that are grubby from kitchen fingertips is embarrassing.

HamletsSister Fri 03-Jan-14 18:39:23

Clever idea and worked fairly well but I am usually quite happy with floury recipe books / iPad so I am not sure how much I will use it. However, if the recipes are good, then it will come into its own.

glammanana Fri 03-Jan-14 11:30:10

Why has this not been thought of before now ? and certainly would prefer for it to available on tablet, note to self : don't wave to OH as he comes down the hall to kitchen !!,would be good to have check-list for ingredients prior to starting but overall brilliant concept as it would free up space taken up by cookery books.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 02-Jan-14 11:41:40

It's a bit of a gimmick. You still have to have your laptop there where you're baking, so it will get dusted with flour etc even if you don't touch it. I won't use it.

CrewElla Thu 02-Jan-14 11:04:37

It's an interesting idea but I found it didn't work very smoothly for me. I ended up have to wave my hand several times to get the video to start or rewind.

I think a more useful application would be voice activated and not motion sensitive.

Personally I don't have enough free counter space in the kitchen for my laptop and the kitchen is far enough away from the router that I think responsiveness would be further degraded.

I prefer to use printed material for recipes and I don't have the need to be able to watch videos whilst cooking or baking.

It's a good idea in principle, but it needs to work on tablets, as they are the device that gets used in the kitchen - anything with a keyboard is much too vulnerable even if the webcam weren't disabled on my work laptop . The main reason I print recipes rather than working off tablet or phone is that the screen always locks just as you need to look at something - and if it could be unlocked by a hand gesture it would be a bit pointless, really.

So thanks, Flora, but I will carry on printing recipes and/or using the 4 cupboards of cookery books we possess.

IsabellaRockerfeller Wed 01-Jan-14 13:00:44

Fantastic idea.

However, my laptop keypad got filthy so won't be using the site again!

Plus it did not pick up some of my hand movements.

It is actually quicker for me to get my trusty old recipe book down and cook something out of that. Or to pull up a new recipe on my laptop or print it off, no need to interact with the laptop once that's done.

RockinAroundTheXmasTreeHippy Wed 01-Jan-14 04:49:04

Another here running chrome on iPad & getting a blank screen sad

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Tue 31-Dec-13 19:10:05

Nice idea, but in practice I'll continue to use scribbled recipe notes on a scrap of paper or a cookery book in the kitchen. I didn't feel comfortable with the laptop in the kitchen. I might use my phone or a tablet, but not the laptop again. We just don't really have the space.

I find instruction videos much more useful for DIY type projects, particularly techniques I've never seen or done before. Most recipes are simple enough to follow at the level I cook at.

My teenage DD loved this, she is to lazy to look for a recipe in a book, agree that it is a bit to quick, and the pausing led to messy keyboard but it was her laptop so not my problem.

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 31-Dec-13 13:10:07

The idea sounds good - a bit gimmicky, but so what.
But actually it was more of a faff than (as pp have posted) - just wiping a finger and pressing a control. it seemed to rewind when I did not want it to and not when I did, so I found it quite annoying.

But I would probably try similar again, once glitches have been ironed out a bit more and there are more recipes.

unquietmind Sun 29-Dec-13 22:01:00

I do not risk laptop in the kitchen so would need to be able to use it on my webcam enabled tablet

unquietmind Sun 29-Dec-13 22:00:29

I do not risk laptop in the kitchen so would need to be able to use it on my webcam enabled tablet

annieno1 Sun 29-Dec-13 20:47:33

class idea

FrankAndFurt Sun 29-Dec-13 01:35:23

Great idea in theory but why not just put cling film over your laptop or ipad or whatever and use the usual controls. I am sorry but I wouldn't use it. Also, for the kabillion of us who are surgically attached to our iPads and other tablets, then it's no good.

Clingfilm is your friend grin

VirtuallyThere Wed 25-Dec-13 23:09:45

it sounds great. I couldn't try it on my laptop though as it doesn't work on safari.

MoogDroog Sat 21-Dec-13 22:29:31

I love the idea of this. Love it. However, it doesn't work on my ipad. Tells me to try on a desktop instead - there's no way I'm wheeling that monstrousity into the kitchen!

SaltySeaBird Fri 20-Dec-13 19:02:56

It really is a great idea and the website and presentation of it is very polished.

However, I don't have room on the kitchen worktop for my laptop and I would never follow a recipe along on YouTube live in that manner.

My laptop isn't working at the moment after toddler related accident and I won't get one until the new year so I've been unable to test it with a webcam but I do think anything like this needs to be mobile device compatible.

Top marks for ingenuity and presentation though!

snorris Fri 20-Dec-13 13:47:09

Nice idea but I got frustrated with it very quickly. In order to get it to play I found my movement had to be very slow and precise, it took several attempts to pause it and I couldn't get it to rewind at all. Maybe it's me/my laptop but it would have been quicker to find a recipe and write it out by hand! wink.

My kitchen isn't really big enough to accommodate a laptop either so even if I could get it to work I doubt I would use it tbh.

MmeCinqAnneauxDor Fri 20-Dec-13 11:40:21

Good idea, but I don't have space in the kitchen for a laptop. It would have to work on iPad for me to use it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now