Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Talk to Fish is the Dish about seafood and child nutrition - £200 voucher prize draw NOW CLOSED

(170 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 11-Dec-13 14:49:31

Fish is the Dish want to talk to Mumsnetters to see how they, if at all, they incorporate fish into their child's diet.

Here's what Fish is the Dish have to say, "Our latest research has revealed that future good health is what we want more for our children than anything else. One of the best things we can do to help our children achieve good health now is to provide them with, and encourage them to eat, a healthy, balanced diet. Fish of all sorts provides great nutritional value to the diet of children. For example, all types of fish including white, oily and shellfish, are excellent sources of protein and vitamin B12. Plus, many varieties such as cod, haddock, coley, crab and mussels are also rich in iodine, which contributes to the normal growth of children."

So, do you like fish? Is fish something you like eat with your children? Are you aware of the health benefits that incorporating seafood into your diet brings? If you're not a fan of seafood are there other foods you deliberately try to include into your and your DCs diets to make sure that they get all the nutrients they need? If you are a fan, what's your favourite fish or seafood recipe?

Everyone who adds their thoughts to this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £200 seafood voucher which can be spent on seafood from Wings of St Mawes which will be delivered to you. To read more about Fish is the Dish and Mumsnet click here.

Thanks
MNHQ

LegoCaltrops Thu 12-Dec-13 10:43:27

I've always loved fish, & have managed to get DH to eat more variety (he went from being deeply suspicious of anything that wasn't battered, to loving sashimi), & DD, who is 19m has always enjoyed seafood as well. I'm aware of the health benefits & found it rather hard to keep to 'only' a couple of portions of oily fish a week while I was pregnant, as it was one of the things I craved.

Favourite recipes are:

For us all, fish pie, made with mixture of white fish, smoked fish, maybe some salmon, some prawns. Mashed potato on top, parsley in the white sauce, serve with peas & broccoli.

Family meal: fish korma with broccoli & red peppers. I used to make an ultra mild version for DD from the age of 12m, but she now eats the normal korma with us.

When we go to the seaside, we sometimes bring back a fresh crab, & make crab noodle salad. Add spring onions, shredded crispy lettuce, beansprouts, finely sliced peppers, & dress with soy sauce, a dash of fish sauce, toasted sesame oil, sweet chilli sauce, & chopped fresh coriander leaves. You can use any cooked, cooled Chinese style noodles for this salad, & add any other salad veg you want as well. Have napkins on standby - it's not the tidiest meal you'll ever eat!

One easy standby for DD from early on, which she still loves, is pasta, tossed in either white sauce/cheese sauce/cream cheese, as available, served with a small piece of salmon, & some peas or other green veg, which are cooked in with the pasta. I bulk buy salmon for her when it's on offer, remove the bones & cut it into 3cm pieces, & freeze it carefully so it stays separate. When it's frozen I transfer it to a freezer bag/box & seal.

Fishcakes, using tinned tuna or salmon, or fresh if it's on offer. good for using up leftover mashed potato. Add spring onions, an egg to bind, seasoning. Fry in a little oil, or oven bake. Serve with salad.

Geniene Thu 12-Dec-13 11:29:50

I am the main cook in our house, and I like fish but only a couple of 'varieties' of fish.
My husband doesn't like fish at all which limits the fish dishes I do, because I don't really want to cook several different meals.
Salmon is a fish I like and I cook it for me and my eldest DS who is 5, he like fish but is a fussy eater in general, so I'm lucky he'll eat Salmon.
My LO, 18 months is going to take after my husband I think, he doesn't seem to enjoy any variety of fish I have tried him with.
I am going to persevere though as I do understand the health benefits of fish.

ICutMyFootOnOccamsRazor Thu 12-Dec-13 11:56:22

Everyone in our family loves fish and seafood and DS says he wants to grow up to open a seafood restaurant so he can eat it every day. In fact, he's only just (age 5.11) coming round to the idea of eating meat, until now it's been only fish.

We basically like it in any form - fish pie, prawns on the barbecue, paella, grilled salmon, moules frites and sushi are all favourites

MairyHoles Thu 12-Dec-13 12:41:13

I'm from a fishing family so was always quite lucky to get completely fresh fish for free. Growing up we ate mainly haddock but also monkfish for a treat. I prefer shellfish and love eating freshly boiled prawns (great big ones) right out of the shell. My kids enjoy tuna pasta, although just the tinned stuff for a quick lunch and I regularly make a "skink" for tea - creamy smoked fish soup. As a quick meal I often cook haddock fillets and chips, which all the kids enjoy. Finally, my dad fishes on the river at weekends so if he catches a salmon I'll sometimes cook some of that for him, although I'm not too keen on salmon personally.

boatclub Thu 12-Dec-13 13:24:26

We love fish and seafood at this house. DS1 loves smoked haddock so Cullen skink is a favorite. DS2 loves fish parcels - a small fillet wrapped in greaseproof paper with butter, parsley and a squeeze of lemon. We tend to have a fishcake or fish finger meal most weeks and usually one other fish meal - fish pie, squid rings or prawn risotto. If I'm not eating with the boys I'll often treat myself to fish - halibut is my top choice if I'm feeling flush mackerel or mussels if not!

NorkyButNice Thu 12-Dec-13 14:15:38

The children love scampi and will eat white fish fillets cooked in butter or baked in the oven.

They aren't keen on salmon or tuna, either as fillets or sandwich fillers.

And of course, they will plough their way through as many fish fingers as you put in front of them!

Zhx3 Thu 12-Dec-13 14:29:42

My children love fish, but not so keen on seafood, I'm hoping that will change as they get older. We try to eat oily fish (mainly salmon) at least once a week, for the omega 3 (brain food!), and I try to visit the fishmonger every week to see what's available, and stock up.

Their favourite is salmon steak, with a couple of slices of raw ginger and lemon on top and plenty of soy sauce. Steamed for 10 minutes, they love to mix it in with their rice.

Last week I also did deep-fried sprats dusted in seasoned cornflour, which they dipped into ketchup and vinegar. They crunched it all up, bones and all!

We eat a huge amount of fish and shell fish in our house, or the rest of the family do, I have a shellfish allergy.

The girls have tuna sandwiches at least twice a week but would eat them daily if given the chance, they also eat a huge amount of sushi with prawn/salmon. As a family we eat fish for supper 3+ times a week either whole baked fish, homemade fish fingers, fish pie, teriyaki salmon and noodles.

The kids favorite is honey and tamari salmon cubes with rice noodles and stir fried veggies. Salmon fillets skinned and cut into cubes. Put them in a ziplock bag, add 2tsp runny honey, 2 tbsp tamari, a dash of wasabi powder, zip it closed and shake to mix. Leave it to marinate for at least 20 mins then fry off until just slightly caramelised then stir into cooked noodles and stir fried veg.

starofbethlehemfishmummy Thu 12-Dec-13 14:45:19

We generally have at least one meal of fish every week. DS isn't so keen on things like fish fingers or dreaded fish but he will tuck into a fish pie. He also loves shellfish - prawns, mussels and crab are long term favourites. He recently asked to try scallops and has announced that he likes these too!!
I may soon be bankrupt!!

Do you like fish?

I love fish - I am a pescatarian so I tend to eat quite a bit. My children do eat meat, but tend to prefer fish if they have a choice. We live by the sea so it's always been a big part of our diets.

Is fish something you like eat with your children?

Absolutely. We love making our own fish pie, love peeling prawns/tucking into shellfish or enjoying a simple poached fillet of salmon. Their absolute favourite (which I blame on them getting to eat out in fairly posh restaurants when accompanying me to my gigs through their lives) is smoked salmon. They often take tuna sandwiches to school too.

Are you aware of the health benefits that incorporating seafood into your diet brings?

Yes - well, some of them, I suppose. We know it has good things in the oils, and for us it also is something that is lower in fat. I am cautious over what fish we buy due to over-fishing concerns, but generally feel (especially as we are usually buying/eating locally caught fish) that it has less of a negative environmental impact than meat.

If you are a fan, what?s your favourite fish or seafood recipe?

Too many to list, but I guess all of us at the moment are loving salmon baked in tinfoil with a bit of lemon and a sweet chilli sauce, served on stirfried veg and noodles.

HanShotFirst Thu 12-Dec-13 15:15:02

I hate the taste of fish and shellfish (tried many, many times with many varieties). I do, however, give the children fish at least once a week in some form, whether that be fish fingers (coley with omega 3), fish pie (a mix of fish) or tuna pasta (creamy or tomato based). Because I know they don't get the oily fish at all or very infrequently, they also take a supplement every day and they snack on walnuts and we have a bean dish once a week.

My children both love fish and my DH enjoys it as well, so I cook it for them but I really wish I loved it as well as it looks really appetising.

StarsAbove Thu 12-Dec-13 15:34:55

I quite fancy a fish finger after reading this, and I've been vegetarian for 20 years! Currently weaning DD, I think I will give her fish but not meat. I took fish oil capsules when I was pregnant and continue now while I'm breastfeeding, as DD's health is more important to me than being strictly vegetarian.

CheeseTMouse Thu 12-Dec-13 15:55:29

Fish is the only meat I eat. We are trying all sorts of different fish, but I am a bit of a novice if it isn't in fillets and I am less confident in cooking it. Like many others a favourite here is fish pie, but we also like trout and grilled mackerel.

I am starting to think about weaning my daughter so really interested to find out how I can encourage her to get the protein she needs in due course.

daisydaisy11 Thu 12-Dec-13 16:14:45

I m vegetarian so dont eat fish though i like the taste of it. I now buy Quorn fish fingers which were the fish dish I missed the most. When we were little, my mum would grill chips and fish fingers and wrap them up in greasproof paper and then a newspaper cone so we could pretend we were getting it from the chip shop!

serendipity1980 Thu 12-Dec-13 16:16:18

We love fish as a family but don't have it as often as we would like because it's expensive. I tend to cook fresh salmon or cod about 2-3 times a month. We do use tinned tuna and smoked haddock in a fish pie which is quite economical. The children love homemade fish and chips!

SqueakyCleanNameChange Thu 12-Dec-13 17:34:10

I love fish and try to feed it to the DC as much as possible, with the caveat of avoiding too much carnivorous fish for dioxin/mercury reasons.

Irritatingly they operate a tag team system whereby only one of them will willingly eat any given foodstuff hmm. DS adores all oily fish, DD isn't keen on them but is obsessed by mussels, squid and other shellfish. Both will eat fish fingers if necessary.

I cook for the family: fish pie, sardines on toast, sardine and anchovy pasta, anchovy and tuna pizza, tuna and tomato pasta sauce, tinned salmon rissoles, oven baked salmon steaks in foil, cheat's kedgeree made with smoked mackerel fillets. DH and I eat kippers with mash and beans, a Hairy Dieters tuna steak, chilli, tomatoes and broccoli thing and a variety of other recipes that take our fancy.

I'd love to be braver with whole fish - I'd like to be confident enough to grab a couple of red snapper from the Brixton fishmongers and rustle something up, rather than relying on the supermarkets to package it up (and give it a MSC certificate).

sassolino Thu 12-Dec-13 19:29:34

Do you like fish? Yes, and I cook it often, plus my kids enjoy the fish cakes and fish fingers. I was present at Dhruv Baker's masterclass for kids, where he cooked tuna bites. They are absolutely delicious, and appeal to kids.
I also love home-cured fish, like salmon or herring, and my favourite starter for dinner is blini with home-cured salmon, with a dollop of soured cream. I have tried several recipes for curing the salmon, and found my favourite is with beetroot, vodka and wild herb rub. And it looks spectacular too.
As my husband is Italian, we eat lots of pasta. It is so easy to incorporate the seafood in the Mediterranean style food. We love pasta with clams, or mussels, or sardines.
Pasta with clams or Spaghetti alla Vongole is probably my all times favourite pasta.

I only just started to eat seafood recently... Bar the obvious breaded fish I have no idea what to serve to my Dd...

It is blinking expensive as well!

Indith Thu 12-Dec-13 19:46:15

We love fish. We don't eat it much though, too expensive. I'm not complaining, I don't want to see cheap, unsustainable fish. Will look with interest at what o people East to try to find things the dcs would like with cheaper, oily fish. I'm aware of the benefits so I wish we could eat it more.

seafood is a big hit with us. dcs are 20 months and the big ones turn 5 and 7 in the next few weeks. The Big ones adore mussels, squid, octopus and prawns, crab, langoustines. anything they can get. Last year ds1 chose a seafood feat for his birthday dinner. It was amazing. seafood is fab for getting the kids to explore food.

CheeseStrawWars Thu 12-Dec-13 19:46:16

I often forget about fish, I guess as I mentally class it as "meat" but the fish bit in our supermarket is miles from our 'meat' bit stuck out on its own aisle and I don't walk past it unless I make a point of it. DD loves prawns (I don't) but I saw a programme on TV about how they pinch out the eyes of farmed prawns to make them fatter and it was vile, so I try not to buy farmed prawns which makes them expensive. We all eat salmon, but then I think salmon is one of the fish like tuna where you have to watch the mercury intake? The ubiuquitous fish fingers are our go-to fish. I know the kids are supposed to have fish twice a week. I did a fish pie last week, but the whole house stank of fish for about 48 hours, which puts me off doing it again.

I bought whole sea bass a few months back, and with the aid of YouTube managed to scale, gut and bone them (I made the rookie error in forgetting to ask the fish-counter person to do it for me. Fish are bloodier than I imagined!) I did it with rosemary spears and actually everyone ate and liked it. It was on offer; full price it is a bit steep.

My favourite fish recipe is probably paella, as DH cooks it!

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Thu 12-Dec-13 19:56:55

I love fish and seafood. My parents & brother do too. We ate fish & seafood regularly when I was growing up.
My husband rarely ate fish apart from salmon & 'yellow fish' when he was a child and now enjoys it too.
DD1 is 2.10 and likes fish pie, fish in breadcrumbs and Tina/salmon sandwiches. She will sometimes eat a prawn or two, but is generally reluctant to try anything new, not just fish/seafood.
My favourite recipe is my mum's seafood lasagne.

EvilRingahBitch Thu 12-Dec-13 20:11:37

For the people worrying about the expense, bear in mind that a tin of own-brand sardines (enough to form the basis of one adult's meal or two small children) should be 50p
A packet of boil in the bag kippers to feed two adults will be about a quid.
Lidl had ready to cook mussels in sauce on offer for about £1.20 recently. DD ate well that week, though it's still not a supercheap option I grant you.

ChaffinchOfDoom Thu 12-Dec-13 20:17:15

as a family we eat haddock and chips about once a month, dd1 loves tuna sandwiches and adores salmon, but ds2 will not eat fish grin
I like all kinds of fish but not molluscs - would Never eat shellfish.

I find fish stress to cook - either I overdo it and it dires out..or I worry it's underdone and going to poison everyone.

addictedtosugar Thu 12-Dec-13 20:22:50

I'm not the worlds biggest fish fan, but I try to give the kids some form of fish once a week.
Yes, sometimes that the good old standby of fish fingers, but my oldest also loves prawns and pasta - buy frozen prawns when they are on offer. Recipie: Cook pasta. Make a simple tomato sauce with tomatoes and onions etc. Stir in frozen prawns just before pasta finished cooking. Drain pasta, add sauce and serve.
The kids also love steamed whole fish. They love to choose the fish from the counter in the supermarket (4 and 2 yrs old).
We have also bought a whole salmon when half price, got the fishmonger to gut and scale, and then chop ourselves into servings and freeze. MUCH cheaper than buying it filleted, but there are more bones!

GoodKingWencesLACK Thu 12-Dec-13 20:25:08

We all love fish, but to be honest, the smell it leaves behind puts me off.

We have fish and chips from the chippy as a rare treat, especially as I'm gluten free and the nearest chippy that does gluten free is miles away.

Also, things like salmon, cod and haddock are comparatively very expensive. I used to eat a lot of fish when I was cooking for myself, but when you need to get enough for a family of five, 500g of steak mince is half the price and can be stretched to make two meals, but five salmon portions will only make one meal.

I am aware of the health benefits, but try and replace the nutrients in fish from other areas of our diet, like eggs and meats and leafy green veg like spinach. I know that fish is good brain food though so we try and eat it at least once a week. A good thing these days is ready prepared fish pie mix, which we use to make fishcakes as they aren't keen on fish pie. and of course we always try to get some in the reduced bin and stick it in the freezer, though I do wonder how fresh it is then. My sister worked for a fish merchant when she first left school, so I am a bit of a freshest is best zealot when it comes to fish.

Our favourite fish recipes are salmon with cajun spice rug, spaghetti with prawns in a lemon, parsley and chilli butter and home made fishcakes. We also love moule marieniere, but again these are a rare treat.

Must try and eat more fish and find ways of making it go further...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now