This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Talk to More Th>n about fire safety in your home - £240 voucher to be won NOW CLOSED

(136 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 02-Dec-13 11:18:07

More Th>n would like to find out what tips Mumsnetters have to improve fire safety in their homes.

Here’s what More Th>n have to say, "Our Helping Hands series is about providing little hints and tips that can make everyday life a little bit easier. But we also want to share advice that can help with more important matters, like Fire Safety. It's a situation we all hope never to find ourselves in, but it's important to have a plan in place should a fire break out in your home to keep you and your loved ones safe. If you have any other safety advice and ideas, we'd love to hear them."

To get some inspiration, watch the video below and share your own tips on this thread.

What do you think of the tips given in the video? Do you use any of these in your home already? Have you spoken to your DCs about fire safety in your home? What do you do in the way of fire safety? Do you have a fire blanket in your kitchen in case of emergencies? Or maybe you just make sure that you keep any candles out of reach of small children? Whatever it is to improve fire safety in your home we’d love to hear about it.

Everyone who adds their comments will be entered into a prize draw to win a £240 Amazon voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

beeelaine Wed 04-Dec-13 15:35:02

we live in a bungalow but still i make sure we all know which windows would be easiest to get out of and where the keys for the all are just in case they are locked. we have a smoke alarm in both sides of the bungalow and everyone knows in our family about not leaving anything on unattended, over the years ive had kettles blow up, a faulty microwave set on fire and a telly start to smoke! im also paranoid about mice in the attic as i have heard of someones house burning down because they chewed through the wires! When i go out everything is unplugged. I do have candles but they are only put on the stone of the bottom of the fireplace (and i never used to light candles when i had our cat because i was always frigtened it would set his fur on fire). I also store all aerosols in low cupboards (which need to be locked if you have small children) this is because if there is a fire they can explode and make the situation far worse! I never dry clothes near the fire (when i was young my sister sindged her shorts doing that). The only thing i burn is confidential paperwork but i do that very carefully in a large metal tin and pop a bucket of water over it when its done. I think the worst things thesedays for setting fire are those chargers for tablets etc so none of them are on unless im there and also the tumble dryer but i always hang up overnight so they half dry already and i keep a beady eye on it!

jollytummywobbles Wed 04-Dec-13 16:32:42

We've taped keys to the top of the windows in the children's room so that the window can be opened in an emergency but not by the children on a day to day basis.

AnnaConda Wed 04-Dec-13 17:15:45

We've just bought a fire escape ladder to hang out of the window and fire extinguishers for every bedroom.

Smoke detectors, fire blanket in the kitchen, keys easily accessible to door and windows onto the flat roof. Have drilled dc about what do - ie vacate property without faffing about. If trapped for some reason (God forbid, but it could happen in a hotel for example) have talked about sealing off door with wet towels etc.

I do get a bit anxious about the Christmas tree lights being a fire hazard and tend to turn them off when we leave the living room for any length of time blush

KristinaM Wed 04-Dec-13 17:47:36

If the smoke detector in your kitchen goes off easily or frequently, get a heat detector instead.

If the fire alarm sounds when you are in a hotel room, always take your room key with you when you leave. If there is smoke In the corridor or stairs , or your exit is blocked, the safest place may be back in your room.

WowOoo Wed 04-Dec-13 18:22:19

When we had new windows put in upstairs we had ones that you can get out of easily.
I can't remember if it was new regulations or just advice from the window fitter.
We test our smoke alarms regularly. We had a close shave in the kitchen and even though I was there and dealt with the (almost) fire, it was very reassuring to know that they'd have alerted me to all the smoke.

I've been told that phone/iPad chargers can really overheat if just left in the socket not charging anything. I always take it out of the socket when not in use.

Apparently there a lot of fake ones that pose a real threat - so if you have a fake Apple charger, consider buying a genuine one.

MissRee Wed 04-Dec-13 18:49:46

I think I have the most un-fireproof flat in the world. We have one exit and our bedroom is off the kitchen!

We have a fire alarm (heat detecting, not smoke) in the kitchen but that's about it.

Really should get our arses in gear - at the moment we wouldn't stand a chance in a fire.

gazzalw Wed 04-Dec-13 19:15:09

It has always been a nightmare of mine to have to jump out of a bedroom window onto a conservatory roof ;-(. I am not sure that I have a fool-proof escape plan if we have a fire, but we do have two fire alarms in the house and one is along the stairs balustrade near the kitchen so it's going off all the time even when the kettle boils....(better safe than sorry I say).

We don't have a fire blanket or a powder fire extinguisher but I'm not sure we need them...(famous last words...)

Always very careful to unplug Christmas Trees at night-time or when we go out....Not sure we leave stuff charging when we're out or over-night...

nextphase Wed 04-Dec-13 20:12:05

DH was shock when I first moved in with him, and refused to be locked in the house at night.
Chain on door, yes, but never, never, never need to find a key to get out of the house (primary exit).
We test the alarms quite regularly by cooking....
Not talked to the kids really - they are 4 and 2, so guess the oldest is ready to understand. Not sure the younger one would get it? Any thoughts?

BertieBowtiesAreCool Wed 04-Dec-13 20:20:41

Yes, if you buy a non-official charger for anything make sure it's CE marked. That goes for batteries too. Unofficial chargers are fine but watch out for cheap ones which don't have this mark (it means they've been safety tested).

DinoSnores Wed 04-Dec-13 21:10:31

We test the smoke alarms weekly. We've decided which one of us is grabbing which child if there was a fire so that no-one is forgotten.

nemno Wed 04-Dec-13 21:21:01

I have a fire blanket in the kitchen and a fire extinguisher in the hall. Keys are kept near corresponding locks (but out of sight) and everyone knows where they are. Candles are never left unattended and appliances are not on overnight. Smoke alarms are plentiful but you've reminded me they need checking.

DoItTooBabyJesus Wed 04-Dec-13 21:28:36

Stay low. Really low.

I will be getting spare keys for the windows cut and put on a hook by the windows!

We keep a fire blanket and a small fire extinguisher in the kitchen. We shut all inside doors at night to help slow a spreading fire and I never leave the dryer running while we're in bed or out of the house

bluebump Wed 04-Dec-13 21:40:26

I have fire alarms on both floors which are checked regularly.

I have 1 lighter for lighting candles etc which is kept on a high shelf in a tin so that my DS can't reach it. I do have gas hobs which I check before bed.

I keep all my door keys in a basket by the front door and window keys are in the windows although my DS is almost about to be able to reach them so I need to reevaluate this. Maybe keep then in a drawer like the video suggested.

I turn all things like hair straighteners off when I'm done and also I pull the plugs out of the wall.

I am ultra paranoid about fire as during the summer the house behind me caught fire and as it had been so dry it took just 20 minutes for the whole house to be alight and the roof caving in, and for the house next door to catch alight too. Thankfully no one was home or hurt.

skyeskyeskye Wed 04-Dec-13 21:41:27

I switch everything off at the socket overnight apart from the Sky box.

I have got smoke alarms in every room and a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and in the porch.

If we were trapped in the bedroom side, then we would have to climb out of the bedroom window (bungalow) and I have told DD 5yo that if we ever have to do that in an emergency that she is to run over to the neighbours house and bang on their bedroom window until they wake up, as I would put her out of the window first then try and get myself out.

I also take my mobile to bed every night, so that I could ring 999 in an emergency if I couldn't get to the phone, or the electric had gone. Also keep a torch in the bedroom for the same reason.

mawbroon Wed 04-Dec-13 21:54:52

I was registered as a childminder, so we have 6 interconnected smoke alarms in our house (it's only a 2 bedroom!!).

They are wired in, and I know they work because the tiniest whiff of smoke in the kitchen sets off the one in the hall and the whole street knows I've burnt the toast LOL.

DS1 knows what to do in a fire and I have recently taught him how to light a candle with a match. My thinking behind this is that he will not be tempted to have a try when I'm not around.

happyamh Wed 04-Dec-13 22:00:14

Some advice I was given: don't build a bonfire under your stairs! It made me clear out all the plastics bags etc etc

snice Wed 04-Dec-13 22:00:20

keys always kept next to front door as am terrified of a fire at night and not being able to find them in dark/smoke

AttackOfTheKillerMonsterSnowGo Wed 04-Dec-13 22:27:42

We have a fire plan that both the children know about. Ds is possibly too small to get himself put but sleeps in with me so I am less worried about him than dd. we have a fire ladder in my bedroom, and an extinguisher in the kitchen. Both children have been taught that if they touch. Door handle and its hot then they don't open it.

We have a wood burner which is swept regularly without fail and I'm also carful to switch off and pull out plugs at hit as I know of two people whose house fires started with faulty equipment.

I had a phone charger recently with a plug which was getting hot when charging so we watch out for things like that and replace them as soon as we notice.

A house fire is one of my greatest fears with the kids in the house.

NotAFeminist Wed 04-Dec-13 22:37:58

I love these little helping hand videos! We don't check the smoke alarms monthly, but I do check them regularly enough when I set them off with my cooking!!! :/

We live in an upstairs flat so there aren't really many points of exit in the case of a fire which does sometimes worry me. My son is 13 months so we haven't talked fire safety with him just yet!! But we make sure candles are out of his reach. We switch off all the plugs at night. We're not smokers and have a gas fire that we only use at Christmas! Close doors when we're sleeping... I do keep meaning to get some fire safety equipment like a fire extinguisher/fire blanket etc which I WILL get round to!! And my husband and I have talked about jumping out of our bedroom window onto the roof of our garden sheds because that's do-able. If we jumped out the front window or my son's window, there is a ledge there also.

We keep our window keys on the window sill so the ones that are locked can easily be opened in a hurry.

30SecondsToVenus has made a good point that I'm going to start right away which is sleeping with a spare key with me at night in case we need to get out the front door quickly. So thanks for that! smile

bumbumsmummy Wed 04-Dec-13 23:34:41

Know where your keys are we have a plan and now in our new house we've got fire safety windows you can swing them open to get out

New fire n carbon alarm Nest protect they are amazing and worth the extra money

We are pretty good for checking all the alarms regularly.
We are in a town house though and Dd is on the top floor. That makes me a bit edgy although I know that really it's quite unavoidable. I'm growing some nice big hedges outside for emergency window jumps!

(Also because I needed a hedge to break up gardens! Two birds with one stone eh?)

FoofFighter Thu 05-Dec-13 01:55:42

We've just moved house so that would be my tip - remember to alter your escape plans and make sure everyone knows what to do when you move house

Notsurehowthathappened Thu 05-Dec-13 10:13:03

Having experienced a house fire as a child I am very fire aware.

Precautions include:

- Fire Alarms on both floors, regularly checked
- Escape plan. All overnight visitors told where the door & window keys are kept and how to get out of the house
- Window keys in the bedside drawers in each of my bedrooms and in the Living Room and Kitchen. Door keys on my bedside table and in a bowl close to front door
- Blanket & Extinquisher in Kitchen
- Excape ladder in bedroom
- All plugs (except for landline phone and fridge) out of socket when not being used. That includes Dishwasher, Washing machine, Tumble Dryer, Microwave and TV.
- No rugs near the open fire (wood floor)
- Double fire guard on the open fire at night
- No candles

I am sure that some people think I am over the top in relation to my fire precautions but I will never forget the terror of being in a house that is on fire. I was only a teenager, minding my younger brother and sister while my parents were out. I was upstairs doing my homework when my younger sister decided to cook chips. She then forgot the chip pan was on because she was so engrossed in Scooby Doo.

The fire spread rapidly travelling across the ceiling tiles and down onto Carpets & Furniture. The fumes were chocking and we were very, very, lucky to all get out alive !!

KristinaM Thu 05-Dec-13 11:07:06

Here is more information on fire safety in the home

http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety

There is a leaflet available in many other languages, incase you want to print it off and give to friends and neighbours who could use it.

The fire and rescue service ( fire brigade ) will come to your home , at a time that suits you, and do a FREE Home Fire Risk Assessment.

They will advise on any aspect of fire safety within your home and help you devise an escape plan, if you do not already have one. Many Fire and Rescue Services will also fit, where required, free smoke detectors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now