This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Are you a Netflix subscriber? Share your experiences - £250 voucher up for grabs

(237 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Nov-13 17:05:21

Netflix would like to know what Mumsnetters think of their entertainment subscription service.

If you currently use or have used Netflix in the past, what do you think? Do you use Netflix on a regular basis? If so, how do you use it - do you mainly watch movies or are you addicted to a particular TV series? When do you watch on your own, with your partner or with your family?

What role does Entertainment play in your familys life and how does Netflix fit in?

What about the dedicated Netflix Kids section - do your DCs use this to watch their favourite shows?

If you have never tried Netflix before, what are your impressions of it? Is it something you'd try? If so, why? If not, why not?

Everyone who adds their thoughts will be entered into a prize draw to win a £250 Love2Shop voucher (this prize draw has already taken place).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw,

MNHQ

* NB: vouchers will be sent to the winner by MNHQ

We had the free trial of netflix and of lovefilm. Kept netflix as it didn't keep freezing like lovefilm did. Half way through the final series of very naughty chemistry teacher breaking bad and tbh we can't see much else we want to watch so may well cancel and do the dvd postal lovefilm subscription. That seems to have the best selection of films.

What's a brand ambassador? Isn't that usually someone who's paid by a company to plug their product to friends without it being clear that they're being paid to do so? Not sure I want that on mn (although there are probably loads on here already grin)

<psst ... Aldi gin is fucking ace and only £9.70> wink

CharlieAlphaKiloEcho Fri 22-Nov-13 19:04:18

We have Netflix (DS currently watching walking with dinosaurs next to me)

I would like there to be a better selection of films to be honest.

We watched on wii until I randomly found the Virgin channel a couple of days ago! Very impressed with that but surprised it wasn't announced more.

DD12 sometimes watches on her phone in her room.

DS4 loves it for Sonic, dinosaur stuff and the many many series of Power rangers please delete them all now.Please please please

I'd also like their to be more of the bigger American series like west wing, ER, Madmen but I am enjoying lots of other stuff for now though.

ouryve Fri 22-Nov-13 19:07:28

We don't use netflix. Our Internet connection is still in the 20th century and simply not good enough.

duckyfuzz Fri 22-Nov-13 19:15:57

What role does Entertainment play in your familys life and how does Netflix fit in?
We use it for adult series like breaking bad and house of cards, also for kids films, we love it!

What about the dedicated Netflix Kids section - do your DCs use this to watch their favourite shows?
For films more than shows, they know how to access it and select a film but always do so with an adult present

If you have never tried Netflix before, what are your impressions of it? Is it something youd try? If so, why? If not, why not?

AliceinWinterWonderland Fri 22-Nov-13 19:21:14

We have Netflix. We love it - use it every day. The children watch a number of their favourite programmes on it, and I watch some series and movies on it, generally after they're asleep. We watch it separately and all together as a family, depending on what is being watched.

One of our children is disabled, so it's helpful that they can watch particular favourites that allow him to calm or relax somewhat. It's familiar for him. They can watch it on the television (through the Wii) or on the tablet, which is pretty convenient, as it can be taken anywhere in the house.

It's a good value and no ads - brilliant!

We tried Lovefilm and cancelled it, much prefer Netflix.

FruitbatAuntie Fri 22-Nov-13 19:22:34

We have very recently started using Netflix (a month or so ago), at first so that we could watch Breaking Bad series 5!

We had been with Lovefilm since about 2002, when they were still DVDsontap - sang their praises to everyone and used them a lot (on highest package for DVDs and watch online stuff). We had intended to watch Breaking Bad, then cancel Netflix and carry on with Lovefilm.

BUT - we have been very very impressed with the availability of content. Also impressed by the way the service appears to adjust according to your connection speed, so you can connect even at lower speeds seemingly (our connection got throttled to 128mb/sec for a week and we noticed no difference to Netflix. iPlayer and Lovefilm were utterly unusable).

So - we have cancelled Lovefilm now! They were very surprised given how long we were with them, but they can't compare really.

The subtitles issue is a bit rubbish, mind. I very often like to watch things with the sound very low and subtitles on (sleeping baby in room). Mind you, Lovefilm was atrocious as none of their instant online stuff appeared to have subtitles at all!

lindsey077 Fri 22-Nov-13 19:24:58

We have Netflix. We originally switched from Lovefilm Instant to watch Breaking Bad which we are on series 4 of now.

I feel the TV selection is brilliant and have lots more shows that I want to watch once I've finished with bb. It could do with more up to date films but I understand that the price I pay makes it a very reasonable service.
My kids watch it regularly. they're currently watching Cloudy with a chance of meatballs. The kids film selection is better than the adults with the Disney/Pixar ones that were recently added. I'd love to see some more preteen and teenage stuff on there though. Nickelodeon/Disney channel/old bbc shows would be brilliant.
I don't get on with the search facility, some things seem to be hidden In netflix and unless you know they're there to search for they wouldn't come up in the main menus. I'd like to be able to browse everything. Also to sort things by star rating would be good.

RoLoh Fri 22-Nov-13 19:33:07

I subscribed when I started my maternity leave and used it a lot when the baby was younger, especially watching tv series on my phone in the middle of the night.

Don't have as much time to watch it these days but would probably use it more if we could get it through our tv.

I haven't managed to persuade my husband to buy into it yet though as he's 'heard it has a crap selection of films'.

I think it's very good value for money. My only quibble is that I'd like more up to date seasons of some shows, for example Vampire Diaries which is now on season 5 but there are only 3 on netflix.

I get quite addicted to some shows and it's annoying when I have to seek out remaining episodes on YouTube or buy on DVD!

knitwitter Fri 22-Nov-13 19:37:08

We love Netflix! We watch it through a second hand Wii, and especially enjoy the box sets of full series that are on there. We have just finished Breaking Bad, and are now looking for a new series to watch. There are lots of films on there, and if you don't mind watching things which have been out a while, there is a wide variety for adults and children.

BusyLittleSpider Fri 22-Nov-13 19:37:20

I subscribe to Netflix, we signed up about two months ago for the sole purpose of watching back seasons of Breaking Bad.

I am very happy with it and actually prefer Netflix to Love Film which we subscribed to previously. I find it easier to find what I want, there is a good variety of films and kids programmes and I love the fact that there is a separate kids section! This means that our two young children can flick through the programmes that they want to watch without accidentally viewing anything that might be adult or unsuitable. I also think that it's pretty good value for money.

gwencooper81 Fri 22-Nov-13 19:44:50

We subscribed to Netflix 3 months ago. It plays a big part in our family entertainment. We enjoy it so much we have cancelled the majority our sky subscription to use Netflix instead!.
My children have their own profiles and can easily navigate it on the pc, Wii or tablet.
For some reason the individual profiles can't be accessed on any other than the main pc device. This could just be me not doing it properly though!
Love love love Netflix!

I am a Netflix subscriber, and have been for the past 6 months or so. The service is very flexible, reliable and has a good content, though there is a slight lack of new films which is a shortfall.

The netflix service allows me to watch what I want, when I want. I like the kids section as my DS loves Thomas the Tank engine so it's a short respite from a very active not quite 2 year old!

aliciaflorrick Fri 22-Nov-13 19:48:07

I've been with Netflix for around 10 months now and I love it. It's completely changed the way the family watch TV, to the point that we will be cancelling the Sky subscription completely after Christmas.

I have absolutely loved watching new shows from the beginning. Although with things like Californication it's a bit upsetting that it doesn't have from Season 5 onwards.

I've noticed the choice of programmes just getting better and better.

We do like the kids section and I do encourage my children to watch from there - I'm happier giving them control of Netflix when they're in that section because I know they're not going to click on something inappropriate. I'm always a little worried that as DS1 is a huge manga fan he will click on something he likes the look of in the main directory which absolutely will not be suitable for him.

We've taken to watching a family film from Netflix most Friday nights.

I love the original dramas like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, so more of those please.

Oh, missed a question, sorry. We watch it together, and if I am home alone I indulge my taste for romantic comedies and documentaries. We invested in Apple TV to watch it on the proper tv and I don't like watching tv on the iPad. We use it mainly for films and the kids tv.

LightastheBreeze Fri 22-Nov-13 19:53:25

We have had Netflix for about 3 months now and I watch the TV series on it. Things like Breaking Bad and Dexter. I will probably watch some of the films (if I get time) and there are loads more TV series I want to watch. DH does not watch it as he mainly likes sport and old films, but he does not watch much normal TV either.

I watch it through a Wii console onto the TV and if that stopped working, its quite old, I would buy one of the box things that cost about £50 to watch it through as I prefer watching a TV to my laptop.

MikeLitoris Fri 22-Nov-13 19:57:01

We did it have it for a few months but never found anything to watch.

I have heard that there are some good box sets on there ATM so will possibly be back on there after Christmas.

I will say that the customer service I had from them when I had to call for an issue I had was brilliant. Really friendly staff and problem solved within minutes.

MrsPnut Fri 22-Nov-13 20:10:08

We moved to Netflix from lovefilm a few years ago purely because lovefilm wasn't available through the wii and didn't have any plans to develop an app for it. We have a play room with a wii in it as well as a virgin box so it means the kids can watch iplayer and netflix in there as well as in the sitting room.
The actual choice on Netflix is very poor, I never look for films to watch on there and we might think about cancelling it soon. Recently we've been paying the sony playstation store to watch films and we use the sky plus to record series we want to watch.

SolomanDaisy Fri 22-Nov-13 20:14:20

Netflix recently launched here and we all love it. The kids tv has a great feature where you can switch from the local language to English, so DS gets to choose which he fancies. We use apple TV to watch it on the TV too, we don't watch much live television anymore. I recommend it to people all the time, it is brilliant!

teaforthree Fri 22-Nov-13 20:16:17

I've just downloaded it on the back of this thread, I hope the subtitles are good though or I won't bother. So far it seems better than the 4od app, which has no subtitles. Would be nice if there were some deaf programmes on there!

AtticusMcPlatypus Fri 22-Nov-13 20:17:15

Am a fairly recent subscriber to Netflix and we watch across a number of devices; Wii, iPad, iPhone and laptop. Its been great for catching up on series that we missed and although the film selection is not great there is always something that will fill up a lazy hour or so. Its great for lazy, rainy day box-set marathons. We love it!

PepeLePew Fri 22-Nov-13 20:21:35

If you currently use or have used Netflix in the past, what do you think? Do you use Netflix on a regular basis? If so, how do you use it - do you mainly watch movies or are you addicted to a particular TV series? When do you watch on your own, with your partner or with your family?

I use Netlflix lots, in intense bursts - mostly to binge on TV series rather than for films. I watch on my iPad and the laptop - was great last week when I was away with work with a high speed internet connection and no TV. I loved Orange is the New Black...such a great show. Frustrating that so much more is available on the us site but I don't think there is much Netlfix can do about that.

We don't watch much tv as a family so it's something I do when the dcs are in bed as a bit of downtime.

See above. I think they would love it if they knew it was there!!

ChunkyPickle Fri 22-Nov-13 20:26:42

I've had Netflix for over a year, and if it weren't for the fact that DS uses it so much for Dora the Explorer/SpongeBob/Pingo I'd actually be thinking about unsubscribing by now, as I have to work really hard these days to find something I want to watch, that I haven't already watched.

DS and I mainly watch series (I've liked the Netflix Originals stuff, and I think that having Breaking Bad available instantly was brilliant), movies I'm more likely to be re-watching something familiar as it does take a while for things to filter through (either that or I'm just rubbish at finding them)

We use it on the computers, on the tablets, and on the TV through our PS3 and it's great - I would just like the content to be a little more up to date (waiting for the later series of Walking Dead and Justified for instance)

I really, really like the separate profiles feature - means that DS doesn't accidentally click on, or get offered zombie movies (although that's not an issue through the children's interface), and I don't have to wade through episodes of Dora to see what I was watching last.

WhyIRayLiotta Fri 22-Nov-13 20:28:41

I love Netflix - we've had it for years. We cancelled our subscription last year - but signed back up again as we missed it... and the final series of Breaking bad was looming wink

I also have LoveFilm - and although there is a bigger / better selection of films with LoveFilm - it's a lot more expensive and the layout of the LoveFilm instant is rubblish - difficult to navigate and cumbersome to search for films.

Netflix is incredibly user friendly - and I love the suggestions / tailored lists they offer.

We use Netflix through DPs Playstation3, so we watch everything on our TV.

MrsWedgeAntilles Fri 22-Nov-13 20:39:02

I like Netflix.

We watch the kids bit quite a lot. I particularly like that you can view the kids characters as pictures, DS can't read yet and this has saved a lot of tantrums while he tries to describe the difference between Bo and Dora or similar.

I've watched films and TV on it and I don't have any complaints at all.

GetInterdimensionallyKnitted Fri 22-Nov-13 20:44:41

I really enjoyed Jericho and Survivors, but dh and I have rarely watched anything on netflix recently. We mostly use it for the kids, they like dora and the magic school bus. I made a profile called Kids, but I wish that I could make it go to the just kids section automatically, hate the idea of them seeing some of the horror film covers by accident sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now