This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Are you a Netflix subscriber? Share your experiences - £250 voucher up for grabs

(237 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Nov-13 17:05:21

Netflix would like to know what Mumsnetters think of their entertainment subscription service.

If you currently use or have used Netflix in the past, what do you think? Do you use Netflix on a regular basis? If so, how do you use it - do you mainly watch movies or are you addicted to a particular TV series? When do you watch on your own, with your partner or with your family?

What role does Entertainment play in your familys life and how does Netflix fit in?

What about the dedicated Netflix Kids section - do your DCs use this to watch their favourite shows?

If you have never tried Netflix before, what are your impressions of it? Is it something you'd try? If so, why? If not, why not?

Everyone who adds their thoughts will be entered into a prize draw to win a £250 Love2Shop voucher (this prize draw has already taken place).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw,

MNHQ

* NB: vouchers will be sent to the winner by MNHQ

BettyBotter Sat 11-Jan-14 21:10:41

If you currently use or have used Netflix in the past, what do you think? Do you use Netflix on a regular basis? If so, how do you use it - do you mainly watch movies or are you addicted to a particular TV series? When do you watch on your own, with your partner or with your family?

We have signed up more than once for the free trial and both times we have been disappointed with the choice and de-regged. We have wanted to watch good films 'on demand' as a family every now and then.

What role does Entertainment play in your familys life and how does Netflix fit in?

In a household with teens we have too many different screens so everyone ends up watching different things at the same time. Watching a film or TV series together is one of the only ways we share enteretainment these days.

What about the dedicated Netflix Kids section - do your DCs use this to watch their favourite shows?

My dcs are too old for this.

If you have never tried Netflix before, what are your impressions of it? Is it something you'd try? If so, why? If not, why not?

LittleMissGreen Mon 13-Jan-14 15:49:10

I looked at Netflix, but couldn't see anywhere that showed what films they had without subscribing. Looked elsewhere and found the slightly obscure film I was looking for so went with that company instead.

574ejones Sun 19-Jan-14 09:55:13

We use Netflix on a variety of devices in our family (Smart TV, Xbox, tablets etc.) and we have been using it for a few months now. At first, I was a bit dubious that it would be as good as Lovefilm, which we were subscribed to, but after the free trial we went for Netflix.

I like the variety of TV series available to watch. We probably watch less films than TV.

My only concern is that my children are too old for the Kids section, but for my youngest (12), I don't want to let him loose on the adult section either.

I think it is good value for money and we use it a lot.

lolancurly Tue 21-Jan-14 07:51:26

Beware - Netflix can be addictive! We don't have Sky or subscribe to loads of extra TV channels, so when we signed up for Netflix, the door opened onto all kinds of series that we had never seen before. Now both my daughters are watching hideous American series that they have discovered and I can watch series of my favourite comedies like Black Books etc when ever I like. I have found the films very limited though and not nearly as good as I would have like - there is a lot of rom com/comedy/kids films but not the range of dramatic, thoughtful films that I would like to watch.

awaywego1 Tue 21-Jan-14 09:37:33

I think Netflix is great..good value for money. I love watching TV series on there-dexter, the killing, modern family and life unexpected and have thought the Netflix exclusives oitnb and house of cards were excellent. sometimes its quite hard to search and find what you are looking for..particularly for films and it is annoying having to wait for new seasons of shoes like modern family and dexter.
I don't have kids so have only used kids a couple of times when friends have been visiting.. it seems fine although the absence of peppa pig was disappointing.

RustyBear Tue 21-Jan-14 09:42:00

Just to update my post of 22 Nov, as this thread has reappeared in Active convos - we now have our Apple TV and are enjoying Netflix on the big screen - it's great!

One good thing I hadn't realised until someone else said it on this thread is that you don't get loads of emails like you do with lots of subscriptions!

Selks Tue 21-Jan-14 09:42:36

I joined for a while over Christmas. I'm not into tv programmes just films, and the selection on m
Netflix proved to be woeful, so I cancelled after a couple of months.
Surprisingly poor film selection, Netflix. V disappointing.

I got Apple TV for Christmas and now I'm nearing the end of my month's trial of Netflix.

Plus points:
Some great series on there, I've just started watching Breaking Bad and have loads of others lined up to watch.

I really like the way it asks you who is watching. DD1 (6) knows to choose her own name and all her programmes are there. She loves to be able to scroll through and watch what she fancies, up till now she's always had to wait for me to buy the dvd etc for her.

Good to be able to use it on more than one device at once. I don't have to watch DH's junk!

Minus points:
Need some more classic British series if poss. Not overly keen on recent American stuff.

The big bugbear, things disappear without warning! I started watching One Born Every Minute and when I signed in last week it had gone. Was not very happy about that at all. What's the point of getting in to a series only to find the rest of it is gone without trace.

Will I continue the subscription? Hmm, undecided as yet. Possibly for another month, not sure after that.

Orangeisthenewbanana Fri 24-Jan-14 20:38:00

We love Netflix since we signed up - loads of great quality shows that DH watch together once DD is in bed. It's great to snuggle up on the sofa & have some time for us again. DD is too young yet to really use it but there seems to be a good choice of kid's stuff on there for later.

Biggest bugbear is that the content you can access through your account varies so drastically depending which country you're in. On a recent trip to America visiting friends, logging in with our account details gave
us SO much extra for the same subscription, it makes the UK version look a little pathetic! Increase the content and update more frequently and I will not hesitate to recommend to all and sundry!

changedirection Sun 26-Jan-14 08:05:30

Its something I might try over Christmas or something, but usually we don't have time to watch enough to make it worthwhile paying for this type of service

Hotbot Sun 26-Jan-14 08:42:01

Have just switched from lovefilm and really enjoying the series choices. Reason alive selection of movies but this could be better for recent ones. The streaming is sometimes dodgy, we watch via wii a sour telly doesn't allow netflix to download bit it will allow lovefilm so maybe something for. You to look into. Like a previous poster I love going to bed with the ipad and watching just one more episode. So ATM. It no lovefilm yes netflix.

xxxkadzxxx Tue 11-Feb-14 14:28:21

We DID have Netflix until we decided to unsubscribe only last month due the lack of content!
Although there was a couple of Netflix's own drama series which we really enjoyed we didn't find anything else interesting on there which we particularly liked considering the price we were paying over the course a year.
We discovered we could watch most of the programmes/series for free online which we had missed and wanted to catch up on and watch films, again, for either free online or borrow from a friends/family. If there was a film which we wanted to see it often wasn't on Netflix anyway! We found that 95% of the films weren't on there which we searched for.
The kids liked having it-they enjoyed it more than us! In fact, i think there is more for the kids on there!
I used to watch it either with the kids when they had a programme/film on or when in the evenings with my partner. We were pretty hooked on the 'orange is the new black' series.
The children watched it about 3-4 times a week and my partner and i seemed to go through phases of watching it every night for a week and then not watching it for 2-3 weeks at a time!
We love entertainment but where Netflix is concerned we just opted to watch the things in other ways. The on demand services seemed to take over and were more accessible/convenient for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now