Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Tell More Th>n your top tips for making moving home easier - £240 voucher prize draw NOW CLOSED

(153 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 18-Nov-13 12:01:13

More Th>n would like to find out Mumsnetters' top tips to make moving home a little easier.

Heres what More Th>n have to say, "Life can be full of little frustrations. At MORE TH>N we want to help, and that's why we love collecting and sharing all sorts of tips and tricks that make life that little bit easier. We like to think of them as 'helping hands', those clever ideas you never knew you needed to know. We're always on the look-out for more great hints to share, so if you've got a top tip, let us know."

To get some inspiration, watch the video clip below and then share your own top tips on this thread.

Do the suggestions given in the video appeal to you, or not? Which, if any, would you try out? Do you have any of your own to add? Do you pack duvets into your cupboards to save on space? Maybe you write the contents of each box on the box after youve packed it to make it easier to find the right box in your new home? Or do you make sure there are lots of biscuits around to fuel the hard work grin?

Everyone who adds their comments to this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £240 Amazon voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 02-Dec-13 10:14:05

Thanks everyone for your comments. Congratulations to Maiyakat who won the prize draw for a £240 Amazon voucher!

hoboken Mon 02-Dec-13 07:10:05

If doing your own packing put a couple of boxes and some packing material in every room approx a month before you move. Every time you go into the room wrap/pack as many objects as you can in the time you have, even if only a few minutes.

Adopt the mantra, 'Unless it is essential, don't put it down, don't put it away, pack it.'

When I was packing to move Asda was selling cheap rolls of bubble wrap - great for breakables. Popping the bubbles might keep young DC them occupied for a while clutches straws

jelliebelly Sun 01-Dec-13 23:12:46

Start to declutter as soon as you think about moving.

If you can afford it pay the removals firm to pack and unpack for you

If you can't then top tip label boxes with room and brief list of contents

Keep essentials with you in the car eg kettle, mugs, tea, milk, pyjamas, wash bags etc

Snoozie101 Sun 01-Dec-13 22:45:26

I moved 3 times in 12 months and the last one was the easiest for me. I got proper flu, couldn't help at all and got moved from the sofa in one house to the bed in the next without realising what was happening. Luckily the houses were only half a mile apart! Don't really recommend it though. Just get as many people to help as possible. Send pets and kids to play somewhere else, so they are out of the way.

Tikkamasala Sun 01-Dec-13 22:32:54

Moving is hideous, such a pain. I have to declutter first to try to reduce the amount I'm taking. Try to keep boxes as organised as possible so you know where things are when you arrive. Make sure to get help and don't try to do it all on your own!

NotCitrus Sun 01-Dec-13 22:22:49

Good removals people come round to check how you are getting on with packing a couple days beforehand, so they can give you more boxes of the right sort (eg clothes rail ones or small ones for heavy books), and reassure you it'll only be an extra £100 to finish it for you if necessary. Check yours will. It's annoying, but a good sign if they refuse to quote without seeing your house and how much stuff there is.

Write on boxes with marker pen - label with room they will go to in the new house (ensure crew have plan so they know which room is study, dining room, bedroom 1/2/3 etc - put post-its on doors when you arrive)
And as much detail of contents as you can bear, and number boxes for each room, which makes it easier to tell if you've unpacked them all yet.

Figure out how movers are going to get into destination house. Got great man+van to pack MrNC's flat once, he filled van in half an hour then said "ok, see you in London" and we suddenly realised we needed to finish packing essentials, clean the flat, and then drive to London to meet the guy and letting agent and let him in! Speeding may have been involved... We then had same issue two moves later, ended up giving a cleaner extra cash to finish old flat herself and get a Travelcard to new house after.

missorinoco Sun 01-Dec-13 19:32:02

Pack a small suitcase filled with what you will need for the first night and next morning.

A good removal crew are invaluable. Get a part or full pack if possible.
Leave out ample tea, coffee, sugar, milk and biscuits. Both you and the removal company will appreciate it.

Horrocious Sat 30-Nov-13 21:19:16

I wouldn't have thought of the fridge drawer tip so thanks for that!

In exchange, I can offer...

Put your itinerary and to-do reminders into a spreadsheet with columns for item, company / contact, action and progress.

Make darned sure that you know exactly who is turning up with the keys and when and where they will be.

If you have smaller children, walk around with them while they discover each room and decide together what you're going to call it. Is it the sitting room, front room or lounge? The conservatory or sun room?

Say hello to your new neighbours on your first day

4yoniD Fri 29-Nov-13 22:24:28

I'm not particularly experienced at moving, but will be doing so in January (a few weeks - aaargghhhh!).

So far, (1) sell what you can, but I find I can't sell lots at the moment. I'm having to just charity shop a lot - it is painful when it is good quality stuff I paid lots for, but ultimately I will forget each item and if I don't need it there is no point keeping it. (2) I will be sourcing good, stackable cardboard boxes and pens. (3) Anyone offering help will be given a child. I know what I want packed, where, and suspect it will cause chaos if too many people help. Keeping the children out the way? Priceless.

BooMeowson Fri 29-Nov-13 20:47:41

Pack a "Day" box - items that you want to have to hand, so pack a suitcase filled with clothes etc, washbag and whatnot.

And a box with your kettle, takeaway voucher, cups, teaspoon, tape measure, phone charger etc.

Steffanoid Fri 29-Nov-13 18:59:35

my mum has learnt today, dont go and help a pedantic old man move when you both wiind each other up!

Fletch049 Fri 29-Nov-13 10:09:39

My tip is get rid of ur oh and children, know it sounds harsh but its a lot easier to throw away all the stuff you don't need to take with you when they aren't around. It's also quicker when you haven't got people under your feet all the time, saves on arguments and is less stressful.

santosc Thu 28-Nov-13 11:03:45

I've moved 5 times in 3 years! so here are my tips: Your local big large supermarket, have a word with them and find out the day they chuck out their boxes, you can normally if you ask nicely get them to put some aside for you if you pick them up on time.
Start packing a monthe before, I'm not jocking literally a month, all the stuff you havent used in months you can pack early, stack boxes in a corder of a room which gets not much passing traffic so they are not in the way.
So pack last seasons clothes, leave enough bed clothes that you'll need and pack the rest. Pack them with the hanger on so all you have to then do is hang straight onto the wardrobe no folding and unfolding.
Pack all the toiletries that you hardly ever use, these will be very time consuming if you leave to last minute.
Pack all the kitchen bits that you haven't used in months, otherwise very time consuming in the last week.
Get the kids to choose their toys for the month and pack the rest. This will actually be exciting when they unpack them in the new place, like new toys again.

Ensure you LABEL LABEL LABEL, imperative to then find all your stuff.

Day before pack a box for each person with their most likely to use clothes so that for the next few days youre not opening hundreds of boxes if you dont have time to unpack everything, all essentials will be in one box.

Day before you should only have out, a change of clothes for each person (if you have babies and toddlers their essentials such as formula, nappies etc). In the kitchen only have some snacks out and just have take out dinner as a treat, this menas no last minute pots and pans to wash and worry about packing away.

Major help if you can pack the kids off to grandparents/friends/nursery etc that day, you will move faster and won't worry what they are getting up to.

thanksamillion Thu 28-Nov-13 10:34:23

If you're doing a long distance move my tip is to choose a removal company from the place you're moving to. This means that when they are packing/unpacking they only have the homeward journey or are already there and if you have any issues with them to sort out afterwards you're in the right place. My Grandparents moved every 7 years of their 50 year marriage and this was their best tip smile

SolomanDaisy Thu 28-Nov-13 10:27:50

Book a full pack and unpack service. I am never moving again without by this. If I couldn't afford it I would delay moving to save!

Sunny2013 Thu 28-Nov-13 10:14:01

My top tips are ....

1) Give every room a name and a number so Kitchen 1 .... 2 .....3 ..... and in a book I list "everything" that is placed in that box (everything) as so many times I have looked for something and cant find it , so I look through my book until I see what box it is in.

2) I write the room name and box number on every side of the box to make it easier to locate, as Murphy's Law the box you will need will either be at the very bottom of the pile or at the very back.

3) Make each child a special box of things to keep them occupied, with treats and surprises, as well as their favourite items that they can have fun opening and unpacking themselves, I also wrap a few surprises and place them in their boxes , that gave me peace for ages.

4) Price around loads of companies if you are using removal men, the price differences for me was huge. After I got their initial quotes , I went back asking to speak to the manager, saying that I wanted to use their services, but they were expensive and they bettered the best price I had been given, " worth a try" ... all they can do is say no.

5) And my biggest tip .. get rid of the husband / wife / partner (especially if you are a hoarder like me :-) as my hubby is a keeper of nothing .... and all I got is .... What do you want that for ? , when will you ever use that ? just get rid of that ......

Happy Moving xxx

tinypumpkin Wed 27-Nov-13 19:48:52

Find a local takeaway on the evening that you move!

Agree about travelling with valuables and also getting childcare on the day if you can but also with getting children involved in the unpacking.

MollyBerry Wed 27-Nov-13 18:09:59

Keep a suitcase of essentials so that on the first night you can be comfortable, things like sheets for all the beds and a set of pyjamas. That way if your'e too tired to do anythign you can just crash!

gazzalw Wed 27-Nov-13 16:40:36

Hand round the brew, cake and biscuit and leave it entirely to the removal firm (assuming of course that you've booked a super-duper one that does everything!). Arrange for a food order to be delivered to your new address for before the removal lorry arrives (if the previous owners have left the fridge/freezer) then you can be assured you've got provisions to see you thro' the first few days of chaos - and you'll have tea and biscuits to keep you and the removal guys fed and watered

serendipity1980 Wed 27-Nov-13 14:07:50

I have only moved three times, but it's not something I like. There's just so much to think of. I loved the ideas, especially the walnut for scratches. My tip would be keep all the contact details of everyone like estate agent, removals company etc on your phone. Make a list of everything in each box and write the name of the room the box has to go in, on the box. Then just unpack as much as you can - it's best to get it done straight away and then your new house will feel like your home!

MissRee Wed 27-Nov-13 13:54:10

Keep old newspapers for months in advance so you have plenty for wrapping glassware/ornaments/delicate kitchenwares.

Write the room name on each box and make sure the box goes straight to that room ready for unpacking when you arrive at your new home. My DP decided to stack everything in the living room the last time we moved so it was a bloody nightmare!

YY to whoever suggested organising childcare so they're not under your feet unless they are older and can be used as slaves!

Use a removals company. They do all the back-breaking work! I wish I'd done this!

FattyMcSaggyChops Wed 27-Nov-13 07:10:29

My top tip, have my mother in law in the New house and my mum in the old house, cleaning as you pack up/UN pack. Lifesaver!!

I could Hire them out! smile

Ask supermarkets for boxes, always found them very helpful.

Mark on each box which room it's for and take it straight to that room as planned. This would have been much easier than DH taking them all into a small spare room then having to Hunt through all the boxes to find the kettle!

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Wed 27-Nov-13 05:21:50

My best tips for moving house are: if you can't be organised and de-clutter before you move, then lower your expectations and relax. It will be chaos. Just accept it. grin

If you have a baby/young children, do everything you can to keep them out of the way. Grandparents can be fantastic.

Try not to move house more than once a year and avoid moving into a smaller property when your family is getting bigger if you can help it.

moldingsunbeams Tue 26-Nov-13 23:40:14

We have moved 10 times in 16 years shock just added up.

Declutter anything you do not need before you move whether that be charity shops or ebay.

Box things up in rooms and label boxes.

Keep things you will need on first night (tea bags/kettle/sugar/cups/toaster/kids sleep toys etc in separate easy access boxes that are not with the rest of the boxes.

You will always need more boxes that you think!

You will have gained a massive amount of crap you do not need!

Puppypoppet Tue 26-Nov-13 22:25:10

Get rid of as much stuff as you can. We decluttered before we put the house on the market - emptied loft, garage etc. Sell items on ebay /gumtree, donate to charity / friends or worst case scenario take to the dump. The house looked a lot better for it and sold quickly.
When it came to moving start packing as soon as you can - use bubblewrap to protect corners of furniture - you can often get this free from supermarket a small quantity at a time from the fruit and veg dept.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now