This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Tell Cif how has your home changed since having children? £250 voucher prize draw NOW CLOSED

(215 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Nov-13 09:37:04

Cif have asked to find out if Mumsnetters have changed their homes since having children.

Here's what Cif have to say, "We all know that children see the home as a playground, and playgrounds get dirty. But we also understand how difficult it can be to clean up after your child, so we want to help make that process as easy as possible."

So, have you changed your home since having children? Have you rearranged it to keep more valuable breakables out of reach? Have you rearranged your living spaces to make room for their toys? Or perhaps you have you stopped buying more expensive furniture in fear of your child spilling their drink on it? Maybe it has been a more gradual and unintentional change?

Whatever it is, we would love to hear about how your home has changed since having children.

Everyone who adds their thoughts to this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £250 Love2Shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

mum2eci Mon 25-Nov-13 11:11:00

Pre-kids i used to be quite obsessive about housework and loved to have a clean and tidy house. Now with 3 kids i realise that a tidy house is not that important after all, there will be plenty of time to clean up when my kids have grown up and flown the nest. Time is precious and you can never get it back :-)

Belgianchox Mon 25-Nov-13 13:31:05

Mess everywhere, lots of little pieces of lego and the like littering every available surface. Things got much worse when the balance tipped in favour of the kids when 2 became 3.... Not as spic and span as I'd like, but I'm becoming more accepting of this, no one wishes they'd done more housework on their deathbed do they?

moomoo1967 Mon 25-Nov-13 21:25:58

To be truthful i was very glad of the chance to have a clearout before my daughter was born. I guess I'm lucky in that my daughter has always been ok and not really gone for anything but then when she was smaller she was at nursery so was only at home two days a week.

janeyh31 Mon 25-Nov-13 22:28:16

Children have meant a lot more mess, chaos & noise but I wouldn't have it any other way :0)

lorka Tue 26-Nov-13 10:39:28

I could stir it with a stick!! smile

MaryannM Tue 26-Nov-13 14:25:33

I was amazed at how much stuff children have! At first our house was just cluttered with stuff but now we have a big wooden toy box down stairs and one upstairs, it's not just for toys, just all the kids stuff so it's all packed away and we can have our space back albeit for just a few hours at night when the kids are asleep.

Our home is actually cleaner since having kids, before they came along, we would tidy whenever/if ever we had the chance. But since kids came along, there are only certain windows of opportunity to clean and tidy, so I grab them when I can.

We do now have flooring instead of carpet and slobbery handprints everywhere!

Lent1l Tue 26-Nov-13 14:59:11

Our house is a home now we have a little one and I am a lot less precious about everything being in its "right" place than I was before. Now so long as toys are all in the box at night, and things are straightened slightly then does it really matter that there are fingerprints here and there or lip marks on a window from where she was blowing kisses to the squirrel? I'll clean it tomorrow when I have 5 minutes.

I do quick cleans, taking 5 minutes here and there to attack something as I have 5 minutes, rather than the mass clean I used to do on an almsot weekly basis where I would do the house top to bottom, getting into every little corner, nook and cranny. Now I clean as I go.

DoctorGilbertson Tue 26-Nov-13 19:08:24

The big change for me pre- and post- children is the change from living in shared houses to living with a family. In the space of a few years I find myself living in a home with a family instead of on my own in a room. The shift in my home isn't so much to do with stuff than to do with the children themselves.

But I am sure that I have said it before but I am sure I LOVED the Cif renovar tus cosas advert that was on huge billboards around Buenos Aires with a pair of old trainers on - half having been cleaned with cif. I probably buy cream cleaner more than I did before children too.

Yes, that's it. Post children my home has more cleaning products in it.

Storage is much more of a consideration- and having to be ruthless about getting rid of unused/outgrown stuff.

Cleaning- same standards but less time! So anything that makes it quicker is good. Cover sofas with throws as they get filthy and can at least be washed!

Not enough time for 'extra' jobs- e.g. windows or oven. Not ever.

star1000 Wed 27-Nov-13 12:31:31

I now have padding permanently in place around my fireplace to protect both the edges and little ones falling on the corners. My glass coffee table now lives in the corner of the room rather than in the middle. My lounge now looks like a playroom although I aim to put more in their bedrooms as they get older.
I can non longer keep vases of flowers down low or any of my things lying around.
I have to be a lot more organised and clean up a lot more since having children - it's a never ending job!!

serendipity1980 Wed 27-Nov-13 13:52:38

Since having children our house is definitely more messy, as soon as I tidy it seems to get messy again! We have moved furniture to make room for their toys but as they get older we are hoping to move more toys to their bedrooms so that we can reclaim some space.
However, I wouldn't change anything - I love our children smile

BooMeowson Wed 27-Nov-13 14:26:13

My baby is only 7 months old so our home will soon change when he starts crawling and walking etc. But for now the main change in the stuff... the stuff... our living room is now a giant play pen and he is only small!

We have pets so keeping on top of hairs when he spends a lot of time on the floor is a challenge.

SolomanDaisy Thu 28-Nov-13 10:32:10

I spend a lot more time cleaning and tidying now. I'm naturally quite untidy, but it's not safe with toddlers around.

I started off moving valuables higher and higher as he crawled then walked, then realised he could climb and there was no point.

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Nov-13 09:38:01

Hi everyone,

Thanks for adding your comments to the thread. Congratulations to ChaffinchOfDoom who has won the prize draw for a £250 Love2Shop voucher!

LackaDAISYcal Fri 29-Nov-13 23:38:27

WEll Done to Chaffinch smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now