This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Tell Cif how has your home changed since having children? £250 voucher prize draw NOW CLOSED

(215 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Nov-13 09:37:04

Cif have asked to find out if Mumsnetters have changed their homes since having children.

Here's what Cif have to say, "We all know that children see the home as a playground, and playgrounds get dirty. But we also understand how difficult it can be to clean up after your child, so we want to help make that process as easy as possible."

So, have you changed your home since having children? Have you rearranged it to keep more valuable breakables out of reach? Have you rearranged your living spaces to make room for their toys? Or perhaps you have you stopped buying more expensive furniture in fear of your child spilling their drink on it? Maybe it has been a more gradual and unintentional change?

Whatever it is, we would love to hear about how your home has changed since having children.

Everyone who adds their thoughts to this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £250 Love2Shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

Morebiscuitsplease Fri 15-Nov-13 18:25:40

Messy, you tidy/clean one area, meanwhile another area gets untidy. It is rather like shovelling snow in an blizzard.

Zombie films, box sets and CDs are in the dumping ground spare room and in their place are toy story, baby Einstein and the sticky kids.
Lots more toys, a lot less ornaments.
Chaotic, loud and early mornings have replaced a chilled out lie in.
A nice tidy home has been ransacked by the dc, there are toys everywhere, sticky unidentified objects are often found underfoot and there is always a wet patch on the bathroom floor, thanks dts.

Dolallytats Fri 15-Nov-13 18:38:30

It's messier and the sticky handprints on almost every wall drives me mad! There is toothpaste wiped on the wall in the bathroom-no matter how many times I wipe it, it reappears the next day!

There are toys everywhere and my poor, beautiful cushions have stains all over them sad

Apart from that it's pretty much the same, I never was particularly houseproud (although I becoming more of a neat freak the older I get, could this be because I can't have it as the children are still so young?!?)

speedyboots Fri 15-Nov-13 18:48:48

We got a cleaner! I'm justifying it by thinking of it as extra time I get to enjoy with DS. She comes once a fortnight and does big things such as cleaning windows and a really thorough clean in the bathroom. There still always seems to be something that needs doing though. We moved when DS was four months so tried to childproof the new place when we moved. We'll see if it was effective when he starts crawling!

Erm, my house looks like a bomb has hit it half the time and there are sticky fingerprints everywhere!!

To say that my cleaning regime has had to be upped is an understatement! X

missorinoco Fri 15-Nov-13 18:59:22

It has been a gradual change, precipitated by babies turning into toddlers, then to "helpful" children - bye bye crockery en route to the sink....

All breakables up high or long gone. I put hot drinks out of toddler reach on auto pilot now, even after they have gone to bed. The play room living room has Ikea storage behind the sofa, and is full of toys and books. The DVD collection is more along the lines of Peppa Pig and Dora than any decent box set.

I shall redecorate when they are over 10, and probably revise that figure when.

The kitchen walls get the occasional wash, then a repaint in the same colour when I gave up. I had toddler handprints in tomato sauce on my walls, as he used the wall to steady himself en route to the sink. Really Is should write have, it is a recurring theme.

PuggyMum Fri 15-Nov-13 19:15:05

Still very early days here as my little girl is only 8 weeks old but I have quickly realised that short bursts of cleaning is all I can do at the moment.

Today I mopped the kitchen floor and cleaned the skirting boards. I actually used the cif bathroom spray on them.

I've recently bought a dyson handheld and it's been a god send with 3 dogs. A quick Hoover each day has stopped me from going insane.

I keep the guest bathroom spotless but our en suite needs a full clean next time someone offers to hold the baby for me!

LovesBeingHereAgain Fri 15-Nov-13 19:20:34

I no longer have a spare room, or need a lock on tge bathroom door. I have lots of toys everywhere and nothing stays tidy. I don't have tge money I need to do what I would like. I can't put my coffee table where I would like too.

On tge otherhand I have lots of lovely art work, plenty of toys to play with in tge bath and can colour wherever I like.

Gemd81 Fri 15-Nov-13 19:21:13

Yes house is a tip i can just about make downstairs presentable but upstairs is a mess. All breakables up high, all surfaces wiped down and hoovered at the end of every day. I have a toddler and 8 month old and am feeding them both on a carpeted living room so as you can imagine after the teatime third meal of the day theres a lot of crumbs on the floor - so bring on the summer where we can have loads of picnics and BBQs!
Then theres the whole bathroom hygiene situation with the potty i need to get the antibacterial wipes on it at the end of the night. The one area i feel rather guilty about is i cant get on top of the washing so changing the bed sheets tends to only get done every 2nd or even 3rd week - i know the shame! confusedconfused

SteamWisher Fri 15-Nov-13 19:21:43

Yes big changes. Toys everywhere despite our best efforts and the place is never quite as clean as I want it to be. I've now switched to cleaning little and often as opposed to a weekly blitz. Bathroom gets a wipe down a couple of times a week, kitchen we just about keep on top off by cleaning daily and living areas get vacuumed twice a week. However five minutes after I've done something, it's all a mess again!

Reastie Fri 15-Nov-13 19:22:14

Our home is quite a tip since having DD. We now have a hard floor in the hall and dining room as DD threw food all over the carpet and ruined it. We don't have many ornaments and breakable ones are very high so she can't reach. My standards have lowered with cleaning as I turn my back for a minute and she has got jam/marmite etc everywhere. I tidy ALOT more than pre DD but yet my house is messier. I give up!

The house seems in a constant state of mess.
We have replaced our dining room carpet for hard flooring in anticipation of weaning.
Our dining table is pushed up against the wall to make way for the massive jumperoo, bouncy chairs etc.
Our kitchen work tops no longer have coffee machine and smoothie maker pride of place. Now home to steriliser, bottle warmer etc.
our lounge is now home to a million muslins, a change mat and a nappy box.
my spare room is now a baby's room.
My bathroom no longer has candles and expensive bubble bath but a baby bath that I have to find a home for when ever I want a bath.
I think my house has been well and truly taken over by baby DS and he's not even moving yet, But he's worth it!

JacqueslePeacock Fri 15-Nov-13 19:28:17

There are toys absolutely everywhere and the high-level shelves are cluttered with breakables.

I'm desperate to replace the hall carpet but am waiting until potty training is over....

Pajimjams Fri 15-Nov-13 19:33:07

Yes to keeping furniture longer as its not worth buying anything new yet!
Yes to piles of laundry!
Also shoes and coats piled up by back door
Cuddly toys on every bed, sofa, surface
Random bits of paper everywhere!

Has nobody else mentioned cleaning everything, as you come across it, with baby wipes?

gazzalw Fri 15-Nov-13 19:53:29

No matter how much we tidy up there's mess and if it's not toys etc...it's crumbs. As my SIL said once during a melt-down 'it's relentless'. DW is a bit of a minimalist and spends her entire life trying to get rid of clutter but as soon as she ships off outgrown clothes/toys/books to the charity shop others seem to replace them.

Oh and as the children grow up the cuddly toys and minute bits of lego etc...seem to be replaced by discarded clothes and shoes and multiple chargers left plugged in and doing nothing in particular.....

Ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 15-Nov-13 19:54:57

I fall somewhere in the middle of eveyone above. I pledged that even when we had dcs, we wouldnt leave stuff all over the house out of place, and we do try to stick to that. Nappies are changed in the nursery, food is eaten in the kitchen, play doh etc only at the kitchen table, ironing pile tucked away etc. I cant stand things out of place, even now with 3 dcs. However......... the dining room (once upon a time think Bo Concept) is now a toy warehouse and we fight a constant tidying battle. We do live in a clean and relatively tidy (but far less tidy) house but it isn't perfect - cupboards are often a place to shove stuff, windows are always a mess and the washing is rarely down to zero. We use litres of cleaning products, thousands of baby wipes (for everything) and spend too long tidying up the same things . time for a toy cull. Everyone here is happy when things are minimised and organised. the dcs love being able to find their favourite toys without searching through mountains of stuff. The biggest change here is that dh now does A LOT of the clearing away, emptying dishwasher, washing & ironing. I'd say he now does the lion's share. I entertain dcs. Evryone is happy and it works for now. I think being flexible and changing as the dcs grow is majorly important. Some things have slipped - I never iron duvet covers now & that used to be a real luxury for me, nice crisp bedlinen. I dont entertain faff like having hanging baskets or bedding plants anymore . Simplify where possible to free up time.

gazzalw Fri 15-Nov-13 20:00:33

Oh and there's a constant pile of stuff on the stairs to be taken up - but which everyone overlooks apart from DW!

gazzalw Fri 15-Nov-13 20:01:03

And the 'to do' pile is never-ending because the children always need something...

Ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 15-Nov-13 20:02:48

grin grin grin grin grin "like shivelling sniw in a blizzard" TOO RIGHT!!, grin grin grin grin grin

Ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 15-Nov-13 20:10:30

"shOvelling snOW"

moojie Fri 15-Nov-13 20:15:27

My house has changed beyond recognition. Before children I would clean once a week and everything would stay where it was out whilst we were at work all week.

Now keeping the place clean and tidy is a daily challenge. I cook a lot more so the kitchen is always needing a wipe over.

HootyMcOwlface Fri 15-Nov-13 20:24:06

Clutter everywhere. I was so exhausted this evening I just opened DS(1)'s toy box and let him help himself. So now he's in bed I'm looking at the god awful mess he made.

He can reach most of the surfaces in the living room except the mantlepiece, so we have some really bizarre stuff resting there until it makes its way back to its rightful home.

lolapops1 Fri 15-Nov-13 20:24:24

Well I have to admit that cleaning isn't my top priority anymore. The house certainly looks well lived in. I have got to a point where I don't really care how the house looks. Dust never killed anyone did it???
I hoover a couple of times a week,clean the floors possibly every fortnight and bathroom and kitchen the same.
Could think of a million other things to do than clean.
As long as myself and my child aren't unhealthy from it who cares???

CMOTDibbler Fri 15-Nov-13 20:26:51

Its the washing that amazes me. And now the filthy rugby boots/trainers/riding boots/wellies that inhabit the hall, shedding grass and mud

mawbroon Fri 15-Nov-13 20:36:11

I have massively lowered my standards. <kidding myself, ha ha, like I had standards before.....>

No point in decorating until they are a bit bigger and don't scuff the walls when they come in and throw muddy boots down on the floor. Also, I don't mind having loads of kids round. If they make a mess then well, it's fine, none of it was pristine anyway!

Keeping it neat and tidy is like farting against thunder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now