This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Share your advice and top tips for weaning with Organix: you could win a £150 notonthehighstreet voucher! NOW CLOSED

(145 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 04-Nov-13 12:08:21

We've been asked by baby and toddler food brand Organix to find out your top tips and advice when weaning your LO onto food.

So, what single piece of advice would you give to another mum just about to start weaning? If you were weaning again, what would you do differently and why? What 3 words would you use to describe your weaning journey? Which foods did your little one love during weaning, do they still love the same tastes now?

Share your thoughts on this thread and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £150 voucher for notonthehighstreet.com/

Please note your tips and comments may be used, along with your MN nickname in an email MN will send out. They may well also be used elsewhere by Organix.

Thanks,
MNHQ

Thinkingofmyfabfour Wed 06-Nov-13 17:12:21

Ds1 I did by the book, made purees and frozen them , gradually introduced lumps etc
With ds2&3 I ditched the purees and gave them whatever we were having. I found roast chicken, carrot batons and broccoli were excellent first foods to try. I would also give them a whole pear to munch on and was also surprised how much they ate!
Easy quick tea by microwaving a sweet potato (skin on) then peeling skin off with fingers (comes off very easily). Then either mash or cut into wedges, can add some Philadelphia for extra yumminess.
Rice cakes great for snacks, organix apples ones were a favourite in this house! Goodie bars also v popular here

I wouldn't change anything, it was worth going through purée process with ds1 to realise what a lot of unneccessary it was
3 words - weaning = messy play

New mums should remember that milk is sufficient nutrition till age 1, so don't stress about weaning. Anything that does go in is a bonus, and they often eat more than you think -watch those nappies change!!

Ds3 has very interesting favourite foods including red onions, green olives and red cabbage. Also still loves apples and pears

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Wed 06-Nov-13 19:03:13

So, what single piece of advice would you give to another mum just about to start weaning?
Expect mess

If you were weaning again, what would you do differently and why?
Next time I won't waste time worrying about how much is actually getting eaten or reducing BF.

What 3 words would you use to describe your weaning journey?
Messy. Fun. Messy.

Which foods did your little one love during weaning, do they still love the same tastes now?
Broccoli was an early favourite, but not now. DD1 has always loved bread, breadsticks and sausages.

BlackberrySeason Wed 06-Nov-13 19:09:40

My advice would be don't expect your dc's bm requirements to drop rapidly once you start weaning onto solids as a significant part of a baby's calorie intake comes from bm right up to one year.

nobalance Wed 06-Nov-13 19:22:05

Advice: don't worry about how much they are eating, offer a variety and don't make any fuss about what is eaten or left

Wouldn't do anything differently

Three words: baby led weaning

Dd loved tomatoes, went through a phase of refusing them but loves them again (age 3) after getting to puck and way her own in the garden

Ds (12 nth) eats everything - not yet found anything he won't eat. Particularly loves bananas and yogurt

jellyfl00d Wed 06-Nov-13 19:23:49

I would recommend being open & broad in tastes & flavours, in the food you make and the food they try.
My children like lots of world foods etc. because we have eaten them and let them experiment with their taste buds! For example, at 11 months my DS ate sushi in Singapore airport as he wanted to try it and has loved it ever since! There are numerous examples like this.
Consequently I try & flavour my cooking with many herbs & spices to keep it interesting.

Don't get caught up with all of the claptrap surrounding BLW... Just feed your child as you see fit. If they are hungry they will tell you!

Finger foods and chunky mashed up soups were always a favourite over here.

Enjoy seeing your little one getting enjoyment out of new tastes

atomicyoghurt Wed 06-Nov-13 19:56:18

Our strategy was this: write a list of everything we eat in our usual diet. This is the target list. The idea is to have the baby eating everything on that list by age 1. So remember spices and all! Then introduce everything on that list one thing at a time. Start with pear and go from there. It doesn't take long to have enough tastes that you can cook decent meals. Introduce lumps as soon as your baby can cope. Give as much finger food as possible.

It works wonderfully for child 1 when you have loads of time. Subsequent kids... As soon as you can puree what you are eating and give it to them the better.

Best kit: raw food puree board by amadeus. I just chucked this, a spoon, and a pear or carrot in my bag and it was an instant snack.

And final tip? It doesn't matter how great you are at weaning and how fabulously varied your baby's diet is now, they will be the fussiest eater on earth by the age of 3.

AnnaConda Wed 06-Nov-13 20:00:20

Advice, resist people mil with raised eyebrows who expect you to drop the breast feeding before you and your child are ready.

Try not to get stressed at the mess and the refusal of food that baby LOVED the previous week - they can pick up on it and that makes life harder for both of you.

Introduce variety asap and make trying new things a family treat.

Three words, Bulk Buy Wetwipes

HaveTeaWillSurvive Wed 06-Nov-13 20:06:08

So, what single piece of advice would you give to another mum just about to start weaning?
Don't panic. Applies to lots of things, if they won't eat anything, if they eat everything, if they gag, if they'll only eat yoghurt for a week, if packet food is their favourite, if your kitchen wall is now an abstract of pasta sauce and smooshed banana...

Nothing, I mixed lots of finger food with some spooned purée from the start. Worked well for us.

Fun, squishy and avocado-y (never eaten so much in my life!)

Which foods did your little one love during weaning, do they still love the same tastes now?
DS devoured anything put before him, enduring favourites are strawberries, petit pois and weirdly curry. We were sent the organix paste pots for a test session and they have gone down very well.

DrankSangriaInThePark Wed 06-Nov-13 20:20:10

Single advice: Do not buy into the Parenting Expert Book bollocks. When they say their babies loved fish cooked in banana juice (or whatever weird combos come up in those mad books) or liver, they lied.

What would I do differently? See above. I would burn the books first. Then let dd get her hands in.

3 words: A bloody Nightmare (see above re books)

Foods she loved: bizarrely, leafy green veg, curry, avocado -basically things with a v strong taste. She still likes curry.

wheretoyougonow Wed 06-Nov-13 20:27:24

I had my babies before the 6 month 'rule' was advised. I actually weaned my first baby early as he was sooo hungry. I think my piece of advice is to trust your own instincts and use information as a guide.

My three words to describe our weaning experience would be, 'feed me faster!'

Oh and my DS always has to have a breadstick/carrot etc in each hand,when eating, otherwise they would be grumpy!

domesticslattern Wed 06-Nov-13 20:33:06

My single piece of advice is don't assume what they will like/ not like. DD2 loves stilton, curry, kale, all sorts of weird things. She also changes her mind a lot about what she likes. Put it in front of them- multiple times if necessary- while you eat it with gusto too, and see what happens.

DoItTooJulia Wed 06-Nov-13 20:36:37

Single piece of advice? Relax! Kids pick up vibes, so the more relaxed you are, the better!.

My three words, messy but fun!

I would do something thing differently. I would go more down the BLW route, I was a bit scared of it.

Finally, my ds will eat anything, so I'm glad I was fairly adventurous!

Hopezibah Wed 06-Nov-13 20:44:25

I would say to use those advice guides about "start with one teaspoon...then by x weeks, increase to x teaspoons etc" as a guideline but not set in stone!

My little girl could eat virtually a whole jar at each sitting within the first few days of weaning so it is more important to be led by the child and see how hungry they are.

My next piece of advice would be don't be afraid of combining baby led weaning / finger food type weaning with traditional puree type weaning. We did a mix of both for our third child and it worked really well. With out first two we stuck more rigidly to the purees first and then lumpy food / finger food.

Finally keep some nutritious healthy snacks with you when out and about so if your little one gets hungry to know you've got something healthy to give them.

Babycarmen Wed 06-Nov-13 20:53:35

My advice would be take one day at a time, don't get stressed! And be patient.
3 words would be messy, fun, interesting!

GetKnitted Wed 06-Nov-13 21:07:33

second time weaning we did less blending more baby led / finger food. I don't think it has made much difference to food choice, but ds2 is much more independent in eating smile

3 words, messy, messy, messy :D

RedKites Wed 06-Nov-13 22:39:36

Like various others, my top tip would be to look into Baby Led Weaning. And buy a mat for under the high chair!

If I could do it again I'd do BLW with both. Had heard of it with DS1 but it was still very rare and discouraged.

Both boys ate practically anything while they were being weaned and much more conservative now.

On the one hand, home-cooked food is much cheaper than jars etc but I ended up feeding DS1 a lot of jars because it saved heartache if he rejected something I'd lovingly prepared.

Oh, and DS2 who was at least partially BLW, is more picky than DS1, who wasn't. Whatever that proves.

ShreddedHoops Wed 06-Nov-13 22:51:47

3 words. Baby led weaning.

It's not complicated, fancy or difficult - it's literally just give them a bit of whatever you're having! I just don't get why people are still determined to use purees when there is literally no need for them. Cook one meal, serve it up. Job done. Baby eats? Fine. Baby doesn't eat? Fine.

SaltySeaBird Wed 06-Nov-13 23:27:43

What single piece of advice would you give to another mum just about to start weaning?
Relax. It might not all go in. You might not manage to feed to a strict schedule. Not every meal has to be home made from scratch.

Actually, I'm pretty happy with how I did it, I wouldn't change!

Messy, Adventurous, Fun

We did primarily baby led weaning with a few pots of fruit purees when we were out. She loved everything and still does! Blueberries are the worlds best food apparently. The only thing she has gone off is pear, that often gets hurled.

amistillsexy Wed 06-Nov-13 23:43:27

Cook what you like to eat, and let the baby eat the same.

I'd puree less, spoon feed less, and let the child lead the way.
The reason being that I think this led to DS2's issues with food.

Each child different!

I wish they did! A favourite was sautéed mushrooms and courgettes, served over buckwheat. Totally delicious, but would cause a riot if I tried to serve it now!
One thing that took me by surprise was DS2's dislike of certain textures. To him, it's he texture, not the taste of food that puts him off, and I think that is down to being weaned on pureed foods (as the guidance was at the time), but not getting the timing right on moving on from purees to lumpy and so on. He is now very picky indeed, which makes mealtimes very hard sad

NotAFeminist Thu 07-Nov-13 10:26:43

Advice - Relax and enjoy this next part of your child's journey into the world of food. You can play a vital role in the kind of eater they will be in the future. If you are happy and relaxed, they will pick up on that and be more receptive to trying new foods. (That's what I've found from my experience, anyway)

What I would do differently - Perhaps have given my child an even bigger variety of foods to try earlier on. And gotten something to put on the floor to catch the inevitable thrown food and spillages (although, having a dog does help with that!!)

3 words - Frustrating, Messy, Fun. (Not in that particular order!)

My LO's first ever bit of 'real' food was banana which he still loves now. He actually kicks his feet in excitement when he sees a banana! Haha and fromage frais he still loves. As well as mashed potato! He does have days when he just doesn't want what I put in front of him, so always have back ups of finger foods to give them! That's their way of saying 'Actually Mum, I don't want that today. I had that 2 days ago. I want something else!'

My main advice is: don't be afraid of big flavours. DS eats what we eat, including Balti, loads of garlic, chillis etc. Last night he ate beef teriyaki, so food doesn't have to be bland. I would also advise a drop cloth or shower curtain under the high chair.

I wouldn't really do anything differently, except maybe to overthink less. Everything got easier when I stopped trying to make him separate food and gave him modified versions of what we eat.

3 words for weaning? Food. In. Hair.

DS is just a year old, so still technically weaning. He loves cheesy toast, corn on the cob (he can gnaw it so also good for teething) and gazpacho soup (honestly, it makes him stink of garlic but he is obsessed with it. It's a really punchy flavour too). He also loves raspberries, oranges, bananas and loads and loads of melon.

Spaulding Thu 07-Nov-13 14:33:20

My single piece of advice would be not to worry too much and see it as something new and fun to do together rather than stressing about it.

3 words to describe my weaning journey would be: messy, adventurous and fun!

If I was to wean again I would probably try more finger foods and go down that route a bit more rather than focusing on purees, then moving on to slightly lumpier food. I wouldn't focus so much on the stages but instead give my child lots of little bits of finger foods to try.

My son surprisingly loved curries and chilli con carne and still loves spicy food now. He didn't like veg at the time but loves it now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now