This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Tell More Than your top tips for reusing everyday items around the house - £250 voucher prize draw NOW CLOSED

(157 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 04-Nov-13 11:44:10

More Than would like to find out Mumsnetters' top tips for using everyday items in imaginative and unconventional ways around the home to make life that little bit easier.

Here's what More Than have to say, "Life can be full of little frustrations. At MORE TH>N we want to help, and that's why we love collecting and sharing all sorts of tips and tricks that make life that little bit easier. We like to think of them as 'helping hands', those clever ideas you never knew you needed to know. We're always on the look-out for more great hints to share, so if you've got a top tip, let us know."

For inspiration, watch the video clip below and then share your top tips on this thread.

What do you think of the suggestions given in the video? Which, if any, would you try out? Do you already use some of these ideas around the house already? Have you got any to add? Maybe you use a rubber band around paint pots to scrape excess paint onto from your paint brush? Or, do you use magnets to make sure your bag of crisps stay sealed? Whatever it is, we'd love to hear about it.

Everyone who adds their thoughts to this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £250 Amazon voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

rowrowrowtheboat Wed 13-Nov-13 18:07:59

I wash up take away plastic cartons and then freeze home made meal leftovers, meaning I batch cook one week and have easy home made meals from the freezer the next week.

My girls decorate shoe boxes with scraps of wrapping paper etc and then have them as treasure boxes.

I use plastic supposing bags to empty the cat litter tray.

I keep plastic bottles from Christmas smelly gift sets, and when we go away for work or business, decant shower gel and shampoo into these.

Birthday cards are kept for DD's to cut up and stick to make pictures

kweggie Thu 14-Nov-13 01:03:12

Save candle stumps(LOL, sounds like a character from Dickens- 'twas the day of Candle Stump's execution...Save him! the crowd cried......but I digress...)

ahem save candle stumps, melt down gently, throw in any herbs such as rosemary, or lavender, then pour over a cardboard egg box filled with pine cones. When they have set they make lovely scented firelighters,break off and use as wanted.

use a pop sock filled with herbs/petals tied loosely under the hot tap for a scented bath

you don't have to throw tights away if you have a hole in them. Snip the holey leg off near the top. Once you have another pair the same, you can wear both together

not recycling but preventing waste-squash the loo roll so that it is oval rather than round before you put it on the holder. It prevents those frenzied toilet paper roll-a-thons that pets and toddlers love so much

dozeydoris Thu 14-Nov-13 08:13:51

Cut the bottom (about 5+ cm) off washed plastic squash bottles, use a bread knife but keep hands out of the way, then upturn it on packs of biscuits like digestives, rich tea, it fits quite well and keeps the air out so biscuits stay fresh. When you get to the bottom of the pack the whole lot can sit in the bottle bottom, packet opening downwards.

Fresh, crisp bikkies, easy to use smile

MothershipG Thu 14-Nov-13 18:16:58

Who has cassette cases anymore???!!! shock

The tennis ball idea wouldn't work for us - dog would be far too interested. wink

We do the standard reusing plastic carrier bags to line the kitchen bin, and old food bags (that don't have holes!) get reused as dog poo picking bags.

We save our loo roll tubes for my Uncle to grow beans in, the dogs also enjoy playing with them.

Reuse jars for homemade jam and gin bottles for sloe gin! Hic!

poorbuthappy Thu 14-Nov-13 20:53:04

Just realised another 1 we do,
The orange lids from Nescafé Azera tins can be used as can toppers. We use them on the dog food tins every day.

nanatheyounger Thu 14-Nov-13 22:44:06

Using everyday household detergent/fairy liquid in an innovative way???

For cleaning your shower screens and bathroom tiles, apply undiluted detergent to dry glass and tiles liberally. Leave for 2 hours. Rinse off.

Stunning results. 5 minutes. No scouring or elbow grease. Feedback awaited. You are welcome.

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Nov-13 11:08:33

Hi everyone,
Thanks for adding your thoughts to this thread. Congratulations to kweggie who has won the prize draw for a £250 Amazon voucher! We'll be in touch shortly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now