This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Watch the Lego Movie trailer and share your thoughts – £150 worth of cinema vouchers to be won! NOW CLOSED

(188 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 01-Nov-13 09:47:40

Warner Brothers have asked us to find out what Mumsnetters and their DCs think of the trailer for the upcoming Lego Movie.

Here's what Warner Brothers have to say, "The LEGO® Movie is the first-ever, full-length LEGO® cinema adventure and is released on February 14th, perfectly timed for half term! The story follows Emmet, an ordinary, rules-following, perfectly average LEGO minifigure who is mistakenly identified as the most extraordinary person and the key to saving the world. He is drafted into a fellowship of strangers, including many iconic characters such as Batman and Superman, on an epic quest to stop an evil tyrant, a journey for which Emmet is hopelessly and hilariously underprepared. The cast includes Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Banks, Will Ferrell, Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman and we'd love to know Mumsnetters' thoughts on the trailer.”

You can watch the trailer here.

So what did you think of the trailer? What are your thoughts on the characters and voice overs? What about your DCs? Which part of the trailer did you like the most? Do you think you’ll be likely to take your LOs to see the film when it’s released?

Whatever your thoughts, Warner Brothers would love to hear about them!

Everyone who posts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive £150 worth of cinema vouchers.

Please note your comments may be included on Warner Brothers' social media channels, and possibly elsewhere, so please only post if you're comfortable with this.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

we went over half term this week and ds aged 6 really liked it. it was very full on and fast paced but funny and had a story behind it, not something I would of watched alone but I found myself enjoying it too. ds has none stop talked about it and sang the songs so it's left a lasting impression.

MrsSG Thu 20-Feb-14 19:54:07

I've just taken my 6 and 4 yo to see this and would warn any mum that it is really NOT suitable for very young children, with threats of torture etc which ok just plastic lego pieces but you really start to identify with it. The fast action pace in the trailer is what you get throughout the movie which is exhausting. I think it's a fun movie for maybe 8/9yo upwards but littlies just don't get the jokes (and there are many)

AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 14-Nov-13 10:10:19

Thanks for all your comments smile The winner of the prize draw is WibbleBoy - congratulations! I'll PM you for your details shortly.

SachaF Mon 11-Nov-13 18:04:24

My ds (6) said it was so funny and he wants to see it when it comes out at the cinema.
Dd (5) says she would like to see it at the cinema too. She says she laughed and laughed.
We only see about 1 film a year at the cinema, luckily this won't clash with Star Wars! and if both kids are keen to see it we possibly will (by the way, the whole family have enjoyed watching the Lego Starwars animations, I hope the Lego film is as good as those as from the trailer it wouldn't be something I would choose to watch as a family, it didn't have much adult appeal).

pimskie Mon 11-Nov-13 15:37:06

Saw the trailer a few months ago in cinema with my DS and he is sooooo excited! It's going to be a long wait till February!

supermam Mon 11-Nov-13 00:26:54

I think it looks quite good! My son is desperate to see it, so I can see a family visit on the cards. The hero looks funny and endearing. Like the big names in it - perhaps the acting won't be wooden (plastic!).

angell74 Sun 10-Nov-13 23:42:55

My son loves LEGO and really loves superheroes and he also loves the idea that a 'normal' boy like him could be a superhero too!! He also commented on the choice of songs. He would like to go see it.

I however, hated the overt use of americanisms and even the lure of Morgan Freeman might not be enough to convince me to watch it ... shame because despite the overtly moralistic messages in the Lego Chimera films I quite enjoyed that one.

It seems agreeably silly. I agree it does move very fast though and some might find it hard to keep up. I think it would be wasted on my DCs at the moment as they haven't yet really got into superheroes etc. so wouldn't get the context or understand a lot of the jokes and I would have to spend 4x the length of the film explaining everything. But for a bit older kids - maybe about 7 up I would guess? - it looks quite fun.

whattodoo Sun 10-Nov-13 20:12:05

So what did you think of the trailer? Not really my cup of tea, but DP loved it! He'll be taking DD.

What are your thoughts on the characters and voice overs? great characters and voice artists, modern voices sprinkled with King Morgan of Freeman for the grown ups!

What about your DCs? My DD is going through a big 'pink' phase and isn't interested in any programme/film unless its got a strong female character, so she'll be happy.

Which part of the trailer did you like the most? the batman (DP), the humour (me)..

do you think you’ll be likely to take your LOs to see the film when it’s released? Yes.

It seems very fast paced and in your face. I bet school age children will love it. I think it would be too much for my pre school dts so wouldn't bother taking them.

SuzySuzSuz Sun 10-Nov-13 16:04:07

I always rate things by how much they make me laugh and this made me laugh out loud! Love that there's some recognisable actors voices in there and loved the comic / deadpan humour from batman smile

Due to cost not sure if we'd see at the cinema but would definitely get in DVD!

gingercat12 Sun 10-Nov-13 15:44:54

We saw the trailer in the cinema and DS immediately said he wanted to see it. (DH's comment "Is Lego the cleverest company ever?!")

DS loved Batman and the "girl superhero". He just loved it all.

woodchuck Sun 10-Nov-13 11:19:53

My kids (age 8 and 10) love all the lego games: batman, star wars, HP. They would love this movie and I would most likely take them to see it at the cinema. DS would be especially into the Superero bits. I, however, would use the opportunity for a little nap smile

MsMarple Sun 10-Nov-13 08:37:33

My son (5) has just watched the trailer, and thinks 'it is going to be so cool...like all the lego people assemble to fight the baddies'. I think the story of the main ordinary lego guy wasn't clear to him from the trailer, because he was mesmerised by batman. We will definitely go to see it and hopefully he will understand the plot when he sees the whole thing!

ataraxia Sun 10-Nov-13 00:25:45

Was really unimpressed with the first quarter of the trailer - very 'American' and mainly just an annoying character saying awesome a lot. However, it got better and amusing in parts - though I feel lots of the references would go over kids' heads, esp. if they aren't American.

janekirk Sat 09-Nov-13 22:37:31

Looks like a great family movie. I can see requests to visit the Lego shop (or charity shops) after seeing the movie. Think hubby has as much fun as the kids do when lego building.

sabretiggr Sat 09-Nov-13 21:30:49

Looks great. I think a lot of the other film references will be lost on my ds, but it looks fun anyway. He saw the trailer with me a thought it was amazing!

Swimmingwithsharks Sat 09-Nov-13 21:00:35

My six year old loves Lego but hates the idea of going to the cinema. But for a Lego movie he is more than happy to make an exception! He doesn't know all the characters included in the trailer but this didn't make any difference. I thought it was quite amusing for me. Fast paced script which is fine for me, not an issue for my son I'm sure. Loved the voices, thought they were well suited to the characters. I think the music could be quite good too...something to help stave off the boredom of childrens cinema, but I think I wouldn't mind seeing this one...

DaddyThunder Sat 09-Nov-13 20:34:49

Just sat through this laughing my arse off. Will definitely be taking the kid and other half to arch this in February. Just like the video games, lego have done it again. Hilarious.

missorinoco Sat 09-Nov-13 20:25:42

Trailer was very fast moving. DS is a big Lego fan; it was initially over clever for him, and he was unsure, but it won out because it is Lego.

I am unsure, might send DH. Why are they releasing it on Valentines Day?!

SciFiFan Sat 09-Nov-13 19:21:44

Both my DS's age 10 and 7 say they like it and would go to see it. Me, I'm not so sure, didn't look like it would hold my attention as much as the Lego Star Wars movies, didn't seem as funny.

starlight1234 Sat 09-Nov-13 19:11:55

I have just shown this to my 6 year old son.He has loved all the Lego films and wants to see the film. He says he liked it from the beginning when he didn't want to do jumping jacks

bigreddrum Sat 09-Nov-13 17:07:31

Looks like fun. Very feel good and one of those that can be enjoyed by both adults and children on two different levels.

4 year old loved the batman bit the best.

CheeryCherry Sat 09-Nov-13 16:51:39

The trailer looked action packed in a stilted kind of way! Quite a bit of repetition, busy and loud soundtrack, fast voiceovers. We are not into lego in this house, so I don't think we will be seeing the movie, I think you need to be a lego addict to want to see it...but I guess there are plenty of them. The DCs were not interested either. Feel like the odd one out on here!

NipLash Sat 09-Nov-13 16:38:39

It was a bit fast for my 4yr old. He didn't seem too interested and wanted to know if we could watch Star Wars when the trailer finished. He liked Batman though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now