Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Watch the Lego Movie trailer and share your thoughts – £150 worth of cinema vouchers to be won! NOW CLOSED

(188 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 01-Nov-13 09:47:40

Warner Brothers have asked us to find out what Mumsnetters and their DCs think of the trailer for the upcoming Lego Movie.

Here's what Warner Brothers have to say, "The LEGO® Movie is the first-ever, full-length LEGO® cinema adventure and is released on February 14th, perfectly timed for half term! The story follows Emmet, an ordinary, rules-following, perfectly average LEGO minifigure who is mistakenly identified as the most extraordinary person and the key to saving the world. He is drafted into a fellowship of strangers, including many iconic characters such as Batman and Superman, on an epic quest to stop an evil tyrant, a journey for which Emmet is hopelessly and hilariously underprepared. The cast includes Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Banks, Will Ferrell, Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman and we'd love to know Mumsnetters' thoughts on the trailer.”

You can watch the trailer here.

So what did you think of the trailer? What are your thoughts on the characters and voice overs? What about your DCs? Which part of the trailer did you like the most? Do you think you’ll be likely to take your LOs to see the film when it’s released?

Whatever your thoughts, Warner Brothers would love to hear about them!

Everyone who posts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive £150 worth of cinema vouchers.

Please note your comments may be included on Warner Brothers' social media channels, and possibly elsewhere, so please only post if you're comfortable with this.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

elizaco Fri 01-Nov-13 16:21:47

I think it looks great - fun and action-packed. I can imagine children going home from the cinema and immediately getting their lego out! Unfortunately my children are probably getting abit too old for this film, but a few years ago they would have loved it :-)

As my dc's are big Lego fans (Not as big as dh though :-) we already knew about the film.
The trailer is good, apart from too many uses of the word "awesome".
Hope the movie lives up to the hype....

I really don't get it.
I only equate minifigs and Lego as toys, I've never been particularly interested or amused by Lego HP or SW etc

Theimpossiblegirl Fri 01-Nov-13 17:10:14

DD1 (13 going on 16) said it looked awful and no way is she going to see it.

DD2 (9 and a fan of Lego) said it looked awesome and she can't wait to see it.

I think it looks good and know lots of kids that would be super-excited by this film, girls and boys. I'll probably take DD2 and some of her friends, or her younger boy cousins, who would love me forever for it.

It cannot be worse that Top Cat, the worst film ever. I knew it was bad because the children woke me up to tell me they were bored.

Spirael Fri 01-Nov-13 17:18:16

Looks interesting, but I'll need to check out the rating and details about what peril and such is involved before I decide whether take DD (3.5). Looks like it should be fine, but she was frightened by Planes at the cinema due to the intensity of some scenes.

I can't imagine Lego being too intense, however! She really likes the Lego mini movies and it seems like the humour is similar. smile It might even be something we can convince DH to come along to see too. He doesn't tend to like films, but does enjoy the Lego series.

I was very excited to see Lego Michelangelo. grin I have the Lego Ninja Turtles keychains. I'm a big child really.

loumatt Fri 01-Nov-13 17:51:56

Wow, looks like a real rip roaring yarn! Our DS was gripped! We loved the fast paced and colourful images on the screen which will hopefully keep him entertained for a hour or so.

Glitterfairys Fri 01-Nov-13 18:16:41

This looks fab!! My 9 and 3 year old ds would love to watch this . They liked the different characters that were shown especially the teenage mutant ninja turtle and Batman. It looks a fun film and one for the whole family to enjoy , we will definitely watch it at the cinema grin

amistillsexy Fri 01-Nov-13 18:34:48

The DCs think it's 'great, funny, brilliant, amazing!'. They like the characters, especially the superheroes, and liked it all best! We will definitely be going to see it when it comes out.

aristocat Fri 01-Nov-13 18:49:53

So what did you think of the trailer?
Fabulous! Myself and DD loved it, she loved the humour and the fact that it was action-packed.

What are your thoughts on the characters and voice overs?
Good, nice to see such a variety of figures and animals in there. Voices were good, Will Ferrell, Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman are already our favourites!

What about your DCs? Which part of the trailer did you like the most?
To be honest she liked it when the word 'butt' was mentioned ::sigh:: and as she likes the lego games this film is just an extension of those.

Do you think you’ll be likely to take your LOs to see the film when it’s released?
Yes definitely. It looks awesome! grin

MissArizona Fri 01-Nov-13 18:57:06

First thoughts - the trailer is very busy. Lots of action - probably aimed at 10yo boys - but as an adult I would like a bit more emphasis on the story and humor. Just slow things down a tad and spend a bit more time explaining the characters and where they are. Is that Lego God? Who is the villain? Is this underworld like blade runner with batman?

The concept seems to be what if lots of Lego sets from different themes / eras (i saw blue spaceman there from my childhood) merge together but not quite sure how they all came together.

My 4 year old son wanted to know where all his favourite Lego city characters were. Although, personally, happy not to see all the latest sets feature that much so I don't feel like I am watching a movie length commercial.

Morgan Freeman as God type character seems a bit cliche - but adds gravitas. Will Farel as the villain... Not sure how funny he is in the film from the short clip.

Hope the movie delivers the same quality and longevity as Lego bricks. Personally, if the Lego movie can deliver the same humour (toned down a bit - as the nude scene is a bit much) of this sketch from Robot Chicken - we will be happy.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=udKbB-di1oY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DudKbB-di1oY

Willemdefoeismine Sat 02-Nov-13 07:50:03

Right, I just know that my DH will love this and DS (12) said "it's a geek's dream" - it's whacky, weird, crazy 'Bill and Ted' style fun pitched at the whole family. I think it will be one of those 'cult' films that will attract lots of older teens (students) going in an 'ironic' way but secretly loving it!

I don't get this type of slapstick (I'm a bit of a humour-failure!) but my husband, DS and DD will be clamouring to see this as soon as it comes out! What I did appreciate was the references to so many different well-known characters including Gandalf and Batman! The style seems overtly American which is a bit of pity as Lego is one of those worldwide success stories but I can see why.....

FrogmellaMoonbeam Sat 02-Nov-13 09:13:51

Just watched this with dh and he was very impressed, daren't let ds watch it as I can't face 4 months of nattering to go see it but it looks very funny with humour included just for the adults. Will definitely be going to see it when it comes out.

Tee2072 Sat 02-Nov-13 09:20:17

So it's the Matrix out of Lego? grin

Looks mildly entertaining, not sure my 4 year old would enjoy it, and will depend on the final rating whether or not he gets to see it.

Good cast, I'll give them that.

But I am also sort of going hmm was it made by a child who needed to use the Lego he had, as opposed to a film costing millions that could have made any Lego they needed?

cornflakegirl Sat 02-Nov-13 11:09:07

A bit disappointing. DSes are big fans of Lego and Lego games on the Wii, but this didn't really capture them.

LordPalmerston Sat 02-Nov-13 11:10:00

lol at shit "ossom" song

LordPalmerston Sat 02-Nov-13 11:10:29

is the voice the same one as Ken on here?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx5OLuIu-dk

LordPalmerston Sat 02-Nov-13 11:15:25

FROM S3 >>

I think the trailer looks really cool and seems like one of those nice family movies. I thought that the syncopation of the voices to the mouths of the characters and when it does come out, no doubt, I'm seeing it.

shaztwins1 Sat 02-Nov-13 12:06:52

all 3 dc want to see it, good cast & love the music too. We're huge lego fans here & February cant come quick enough !!!!

Theimpossiblegirl Sat 02-Nov-13 12:10:25

I just showed my nephews (5 and 8) and they are very keen to see it. they've been to Legoland a lot and love the 4D cinema there.

Maybe I could throw a few cups of water at them when we go to make it the same.

Serious question though, will this film be out in 3D and 2D?

Erebus Sat 02-Nov-13 13:08:33

Just watched with DH and DS2 (12) who's a massive Lego fan.

We all thought it funny- yes, it's a trailer so fast paced and, like many trailers, sort of giving the story away, but I thought it witty and fun. Again, loads of 'kids cartoons/animations' need to appeal to adults as well (the Abraham Lincoln one-liner!) these days.

I'd certainly take the family to see it. And I'd agree that older DCs will go 'ironically' and love it!

I also do think (and sorry to other posters I might be about to offend) that there's a tendency to take DC to movies that they haven't a hope of comprehending. I mean, that's why toddler/pre-schooler TV is slow, colourful, repetitive- boring as bat shit (a Bat Pun?!) for attendant adults but pitched just right for the littlies. Personally, I wouldn't take a DC younger than say 6 or 7 to this type of movie as so much would go straight over their heads.

MollyHooper Sat 02-Nov-13 13:50:42

My six year old, Lego obsessed DS absolutely loved the trailer and is very excited about the film.

I must admit I laughed too. I'm a Will Ferrell fan and the film seems to have that style of humor so I can see myself enjoying it.

We are all looking forward to it.

k8vincent Sat 02-Nov-13 16:05:21

Now I have 3 boys who are saying "dang it" continually. We saw a different trailer for this movie a Legoland. We prefer this one, it looks more exciting.

Morgan Freeman as the 'God' figure again - not terribly original. We found the double decker sofa bit funny - and the part where Batman throws all his tools to hit the red button. We are big on Batman in our house.

I'm not sure I'll have much choice but to take them to see it. We are literally swimming in Lego here.

WriteRight Sat 02-Nov-13 16:11:42

My ki just watched it and thought it looked brilliant. I am a huge lego fan so we will be going to see it. It looks fun and amusing and cleverly using all the Lego characters current and old! So it had a bit of nostalgia for me too. Voices we really good.

WriteRight Sat 02-Nov-13 16:11:58

Kids....not ki

BoyGirlBoy3 Sat 02-Nov-13 16:14:26

Me and DC age 7 -

Our favourite part of the movie clip, was when the bad cop smashed the water across the room!!! So funny!

I like the way all the characters, from all the ranges, are included. Love the comedy in it.

7 year old wants to see it in February!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now