Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Watch episode 3 of Shop Talk where KatieMumsnet discusses the future of shopping with Ben Shephard. NOW CLOSED

(160 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Oct-13 13:53:10

Last week MNers were asked whether they prefer to shop online or hit the high street. Watch episode 3 of Shop Talk now to see if your comments made it on the show!

Barclaycard Freedom Rewards, in association with Mumsnet, have created a new weekly online chat show: Shop Talk. Over the next weeks, they'll be looking for MNers' shopping tips and tricks on a range of topics.

Here's what Barclaycard have to say about the show: "Shop Talk is a weekly chat show where we tackle the big shopping stories that you're talking about. A different presenter will host each show each week and this week its Ben Shephard. Two panellists, including shopping blogger Emily and Katie from MNHQ, joined Ben to discuss shopping online and how digital is changing the high street.

With regards to the Barclaycard Freedom Rewards credit card, Barclaycard say: With the Freedom Rewards credit card you can shop online through the Freedom Rewards Store to get at least 3 points per £1 with over 50 top brands.

The last episode of Shop Talk is hosted by Ruth Langsford: where we discuss your Christmas shopping tactics. Share your thoughts on next weeks thread here and you could win £150 worth of Argos vouchers.

Thanks,

MNHQ

Theimpossiblegirl Wed 30-Oct-13 14:31:38

I do the food shop in the supermarket. Actually I tend to go to several if I have time, pick up the best deals and bargains and meal plan around them.

I buy clothes on the high street too as it can be a faff returning things that don't fit.

I do shop online for household goods, toys, DVDs etc as I love a bargain and you can save a fortune shopping around. I've saved so much by being a savvy shopper for this Christmas already.

ShatnersEmptyCatacomb Wed 30-Oct-13 14:34:53

I like real shopping, as long as I can go alone. I like browsing and meandering.

I do shop online as well, for convenience, but I prefer actually going into shops and being able to look things over.

Willemdefoeismine Wed 30-Oct-13 14:38:28

I used to love shopping - clothes and Christmas pressie escapades being almost top of my enjoyable-ways-to-spend-a-Saturday list BUT before I had the DCs. Now I just find that I don't have the inclination, the energy or the money necessarily. And it's such a pain when you see something you like then find it cheaper half way down Oxford Street - the thrifty mind may be willing but not necessarily the feet after hobbling around all day in high heels!

So online shopping is a winner for me but I have to say that it doesn't give you the 'buzz' of shopping on a high street -and I just don't find I get into the Christmas mood staring at a computer screen, however Christmassy the products I'm buying are!

And also I actually find it easier to make an impulse purchase shopping online - there's something about wandering around a shop holding 'physical' items which gives one time to deliberate over them....and usually in my case - put them back onto the shelf!

DanielHellHoundMcSpaniel Thu 31-Oct-13 09:42:03

Online Online Online! Never again will I traipse round supermarkets/clothes shops/town centre with children in tow. Instead I just go to a big shopping centre 3 or 4 times a year with DH or my sister and just have a nice day with no kids, a good lunch and enjoy myself with no stress or hassle and thats my clothes shopping.

jojane Thu 31-Oct-13 09:48:07

I do a big supermarket shop online as it is soo much easier than dragging 1,2 or 3 kids around the shop.
For things where I know what I want I buy online as can research prices etc, but sometimes go 'real' shopping for Xmas etc when Im not sure what I want to get for people and need to browse and be inspired.

ouryve Thu 31-Oct-13 13:44:33

I do a mixture. I live in a village and don't drive, so getting to physical shops isn't always practical. I prefer to be able to buy food in person, but taking the kids is difficult, so I do a big online shop about once a month (and just suck it up that I couldn't do things like decide not to buy that broccoli because it doesn't look very fresh) which means that physical visits to shops can be shorter.

I buy almost all the boys' clothes online. Next's next day delivery is handy and it's easy enough to return stuff that's not right. I also buy them things from Lands End, which has no physical outlets in our area.

That said, I do also like to browse around Durham or the Metrocentre. I like to see the quality (or lack of) in things I might be interested in department stores, etc and i love all the indy shops, cafes and market stalls in Durham. It can be horribly busy, but has a real buzz to it, too. It's an experience i prefer without kids, though DS1 loves to visit on a weekday in the holidays, occasionally.

NumTumRedRum Thu 31-Oct-13 14:00:27

I prefer to try things on, which was a real nuisance when I was pregnant as the majority of high st shops carry about four items in black white or grey and that's it. I couldn't find any decent maternity wear online or in store.

Quite often I'll see something online and buy it instore, or the other way round if there's an online discount code floating around.

It seems ridiculous that there can be different prices for the same item, depending on what method of shopping you use.

I have recently moved to supermarket shopping online as it's much more convenient and saves money

whilst I really enjoy a trolley round the shops for a browse, when I have something specific I want I find it frustrating as despite there being lots of shops they do not seem to have much variety of stock. I hate seeing what I want to be told we don't have it in stock we can order it for you. So now when I want something specific I order online for home delivery and pay on my card. It also gives you the chance to look for the best price without wearing out your shoes smile things are often cheaper online and I don't worry about it if I pay by card as I know I have protection with it.

SolidGold Thu 31-Oct-13 14:53:09

I do nearly all my shopping online. I find by doing my grocery shopping online I cut out the impulse buys and save money. I would prefer to go clothes shopping on the high street, but rarely get into town, so tend to order things online instead. I do like the fact that I can try things on in the comfort of my own home, but dislike having to either go to the post office to return them or call for them to send a courier. I particularly dislike companies that charge for delivery and also make you pay for return postage.

Tinlegs Thu 31-Oct-13 14:53:51

I do nearly everything I can online. We live in a remote corner of Scotland and I don't think I could have coped with living here if Amazon had not provided me with my regular fix of books. Now, I can get nearly everything I need online. However, we are still too remote (50 miles to a supermarket) for online shopping for food and other supermarket supplies. We thought this was coming as Tesco was planning to build a store but this has been put on hold. This means that we pay far more for our food because we have to travel so far to get it. Yes, there is a small "local" supermarket but the range is poor and it is expensive.

When buying things online the only thing I am sometimes wary of is new clothing brands (ie new to me) as I like to establish my size or that of my children before buying as I find the whole posting back thing a pain. I actively dislike shopping for specific things (ie - I need black trousers) but quite enjoy the odd browse in real life when I get to the big city.

Davinaaddict Thu 31-Oct-13 15:30:05

Mostly online if I'm after something specific, unless it's clothes. I'm so bloody fussy with clothes/shoe shopping that I find it easier to do this in the shops. But then the crowds annoy me so I'd have probably been better doing it all online anyway thlgrin

AdamantEve Thu 31-Oct-13 15:38:31

I shop for EVERYTHING online: food, clothes, shoes, toiletries, toys - the lot!
I find it to be cheaper as you can use discount codes etc and also it is about a million times less stressful than taking 2 under-threes into actual shops.
Most things arrive really quickly and I never have any issues returning things I don't want to keep.

I wouldn't cope if I couldn't shop online anymore for whatever reason!

AnnaConda Thu 31-Oct-13 15:39:12

Love Internet shopping - probably do 80% online. Like combing eBay for bargains and comparing prices round the web. I find it's easier to choose clothes there seeing how they look on models etc rather than on a shop rail. Wouldn't try and get trousers though, the fit would be difficult.

I do a Sainsburys shop online every week - free delivery, love it. Having been ill,for a couple of years it's a fantastic energy saver for me.

Reastie Thu 31-Oct-13 15:43:18

As much online as possible. It's easier with a toddler and often alot cheaper. I just return the clothes etc that don't fit. I do go to my high street regularly as I meet up at a local cafe with my mn local group and often have a pop into some local shops (including charity shops) and there are some nice places in my local town to shop. I seem to buy alot from amazon think I'm their best customer and get all my groceries online.

BigOrangePumpkin Thu 31-Oct-13 15:45:46

A bit of both to be honest. With a 4 month old, I tend to do a 'big shop' online for all the frozen and heavy stuff, but I like to get fresh bread/milk etc from the local shops. I prefer buying veg in person too, that way you can have a look at it and check it's ok.
With clothes, I very rarely buy online because if you don't like them or they don't fit it's a hassle to send them back, and you often lose the cost of the postage too. Toiletries etc I will buy online because you can often get more of a range and they can be cheaper. Books and CD's tend to come from Amazon again due to cost.
One big factor though is delivery for online goods. For smaller items that can be posted it's ok, and as I'm on mat leave at the moment I can spend all day waiting for a delivery, but when I go back to work I won't be able to. Delivery times are too hit and miss, and unless you pay extra you can't guarantee what day your parcel will arrive, so when I go back to work I won't shop online for things like this as much.

Mrsfluff Thu 31-Oct-13 15:53:11

I rarely shop on the high street, maybe once or twice a year, in the run up to Christmas. I normally shop online or in supermarkets. I love online shopping; no parking costs, saves time and I can quickly and easily shop around for the best deal.

LocalEditorWestSussex Thu 31-Oct-13 16:57:15

Online all the way!

As an insomniac I d all the shopping from the comfort of my bed on my iPad, I don;t ave to traipse around shops in the cold or wet, I don't have to carry bags, get harassed by charity workers who wont take no for an answer plus with high street shopping I can't guarantee that the shops will have what I want and I can almost always find a better bargain online. There is of course a million 'shops' online compared to the dwindling numbers in the town.

So whether its grocery or Christmas shopping or clothes shopping I tend to always do it whilst warm and comfy with a cup of tea in my own home (Usually in my pjs!)

clubnail Thu 31-Oct-13 17:23:34

Online pretty much 90%.
We do the main groceries shop online, then top up with odds and ends during the week for anything extra.
We don't buy many clothes any more, already have enough, but will buy online apart from jeans, which I prefer to try on first, as they are hard to judge. Unless buying a repeat pair. I know many places offer a free return if things don't fit, but I'd rather go to a shop than risk having to go to the post office!
Books all bought via Amazon, it's always cheaper than elsewhere.
Toys, mainly online when there are deals on (ToysRUs, ELC etc) or Amazon again. Ocasionally we browse instore.
Other times we shop instore are when the delivery costs aren't better value than having to drive or make the effort to get to the shop in question.

SolidGold Thu 31-Oct-13 17:25:52

Forgot to say, I find online shopping a god send at Christmas! No more fighting my way through the crowds, whilst having to listen to the same songs everywhere.

MarshaBrady Thu 31-Oct-13 17:26:48

I do most clothes shopping online, except for the odd store. But only my favourite ones, I don't go along the high street for things.

Food is a mixture of online and in store. Both are good. But the local supermarket is a good one, and close by so not hard. Also really appreciate Ocado.

I prefer to do my shopping in store most of the time. Its definitely my preference with clothing, as I find returns a hassle. Good photography can make tat look fantastic and I've been caught out more than once!

I sometimes do an online grocery shop with Ocado if I'm pressed for time, but I usually only buy essentials and then feel saddened by the lack of 'treats'. I'm a sucker for those 'end of aisle' special offers!

LonelyGoatherd Thu 31-Oct-13 17:57:59

I try so hard to shop for clothes online, but have a very high return rate - much prefer trying and buying in-store, but that can be tricky with the double buggy!
Keep meaning to shop for food online, but quite like the weekly food shop - we make it into an outing complete with tea in the cafe.
Christmas shopping is 99% online though!

Lotstodo Thu 31-Oct-13 18:42:35

I love shopping online and in store. When buying clothes I can find so much more online than I can see when looking in shops. If I see something I am not certain about then I will try and look at the physical product as sizing and colour can be misleading.

For bulky presents, especially for children, online is so much easier and also food shopping is so much easier and then I can just buy fruit and vegetables as I need them.

Bluecarrot Thu 31-Oct-13 19:03:22

Shopping online gives me access to thousands of handmade products that I won't find otherwise ( etsy, folksy etc) and I like supporting smaller cottage industries. There's a few local shops that sell local crafts and I try there first depending on the item. Since these tend to be a bit pricier I do look for bargains when buying other itens eg kids clothes, boring household products etc.

For items like kids clothes, accessories etc I used Facebook groups, eBay, and other preloved sites to find what I need second hand and usually significantly cheaper than I would be able to find in a physical shop ( except for charity shops)

I also do my main shopping online now too. A local farm makes up boxes of their own veg and some locally dour ed meat, and sells via their website and phone. As they use Facebook, I can see updates on spare parcels they have available for delivery that day at a bargain price.

I always use cash back sites when online, though the top ones now link your card and you can earn in physical shops too. If an item is bulky but free delivery and cash back is available I would choose to order online after seeing it in person if need be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now