This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

What treats did you make for Halloween? Share your recipes with Flora and you could win a £200 John Lewis voucher NOW CLOSED

(127 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 25-Oct-13 12:52:40

Flora have asked us to find out about Mumsnetters’ favourite Halloween themed recipes.

Here's what Flora have to say, "With Halloween and half term coming up, it’s a great time for making treats with your children. We’d love to hear about your favourite recipes for Halloween treats.“

So what are your favourite Halloween treat recipes? Do you make an impressive spooky sponge? Or maybe you prefer a classic pumpkin pie? Are you an expert at making creepy cookies?

Have you seen any Halloween creations you wish you could make? What has inspired you to get creative this Halloween?

Whatever your favourite Halloween recipes are, Flora would love to hear them. Please post links/pictures/descriptions of your favourite Halloween creation on this thread.

Everyone who posts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £200 John Lewis voucher.

Please note your comments may be included on Flora's social media channels, and possibly elsewhere, so please only post if you're comfortable with this.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 14-Nov-13 10:28:10

Thanks for all your comments smile wonkylegs wins the prize draw - congratulations! I'll PM you for your details shortly.

sealight123 Tue 12-Nov-13 21:10:53

I tried making this bleeding heart from my Lily Vanilli 'A zombie ate my cupcake' cookery book-
http://lily-vanilli.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/recipe-instructions-for-bleeding-heart.html

It is safe to safe, mine did not end up like this one....it is safe to say I ate it all....

IAlwaysThought Tue 12-Nov-13 00:33:28

Blimey, you lot put way more effort into Halloween than I did. To be fair my DCs are all in their teens and early twenties. and I am old and jaded All I did was add black food dye to their spaghetti and red food dye to their bolognese (which was already red!).
I guess I should have added green food dye to some flora and made some unappetising garlic bread but I hadn't seen this thread grin

toucancancan Mon 11-Nov-13 16:52:07

Carrot and apple muffins: decorate with orange icing and broken matchmakers for spiders legs.
Ingredients
225g self-raising flour (or use plain flour plus 3 tsp baking powder)
175g brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp feshly grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg
Tiny pinch of salt
150ml plain oil, eg sunflower, vegetable, or light olive oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 medium carrots, finely grated
1 apple, finely grated

Creamy icing (coloured icing optional):
50g marscapone or cream cheese
100g icing sugar
20g softened butter
Squirt of lemon juice
Method
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Grease muffin tins or line with paper cases (makes approx 6 large, 12 medium, or 20 mini muffins).
3. In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, salt and spices, using your hands to remove any lumps from the brown sugar if needed.
4. Add oil and eggs and gently the fold mixture together.
5. Stir in carrot and apple.
6. Spoon into muffin tins, nearly to the top.
Bake for approx 25 - 35 mins depending on the size of the muffins.
7. Check with a skewer if unsure - if it comes out clean the muffin is cooked, if sticky leave them in for a bit longer.
8. Leave in tin to cool a little, then turn out.

mumsbe Mon 11-Nov-13 15:27:51

We love peppers in our house so we scooped out yellow pumpkins and cut out a pumkin face we filled them with noodles with sweet and sour sauce this looks like wormsor brains covered in blood cook for about 10 mins in the oven plus we had jelly snakesin red jelly with marsh mellow eye balls. We also did a raspberry non alchoholic punch with fozen ice pumkins in

Heartfulloflove Mon 11-Nov-13 01:06:50

I love baking with Flora Buttery!

I have made some delicious pumpkin pies that go down well with maple syrup cream.

I also made a batch of warming pumpkin soup. So yum.

angell74 Sun 10-Nov-13 23:52:07

I make ghost cakes (usual cupcakes that could be made with flora) with a piped swirl of Meringue Buttercream on top to make a ghost and two sweets for ghostly eyes. Simple but effective.

JulesJules Sun 10-Nov-13 09:50:17

Blimey, everyone is so creative! I make flapjack, and at a push, decorate fairy cakes with spider web icing and plastic spider garnish.

Very quick and easy flapjack:

8oz butter
8oz light muscovado sugar
12oz oats
Pinch salt
Syrup

Greased and lined tin
Gas mark 4
Melt butter and sugar, gradually adding oats and mix well.
Squirt 2 ‘S’ shaped squirts of syrup on to the mixture.
Put in tin and bake 20 minutes until slightly brown at the edges. Should still be squidgy in the middle.
Allow to cool slightly and mark into bars.

We drew jack o lantern faces on tangerines. I did have time to bake this year, with a three month old and a three yr old. Next year I'm totally trying pumpkin barjis!

ataraxia Sat 09-Nov-13 23:28:51

I didn't get to bake this Halloween as I was out of town, but these cupcakes look cute for another year: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/408420259928373412/

CheeryCherry Sat 09-Nov-13 16:57:34

Can't post photos as we ate them all but I made spider web buns...usual victoria sponge recipe...100g flora, 100g sugar...creamed together. Added 100g self raising flour gradually with 2 eggs, fold all together then pop into bun cases. When cooked (180'c for 10-15 mins) and cooled I decorated with white icing (icing sugar and drops of water) and then drew circles (like ripples)on top with a black icing pen, then used a cocktail stick to drag the circles from the middle out to the edge. Makes a quick and easy spider web!

tinypumpkin Sat 09-Nov-13 14:54:28

Boring here but biscuits cut into scary shapes. I need to be creative! Loving the idea of pumpkin bhaji. Will look that one up again!

sassolino Sat 09-Nov-13 10:39:23

Typically I make those cupcakes with the sweet potatoes or butternut squash, but I tried this recipe with pumpkins and it was lovely/
Pumpkin cupcakes with yogurt frosting
Ingredients:
300g pumpkin flesh, cooked and mashed
1tbsp Flora
150g light brown sugar
2 eggs
170g fat free Greek style yogurt (or soured cream)
30g ground almonds
1tsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla extract
150g self-raising flour
1/2tsp cinnamon
90ml olive oil
icing sugar + plain fat free yogurt for frosting (or soured cream)
freeze-dried strawberries for decoration

Cube the pumpkins and roast with a bit of Flora in the oven until soft. Take it out of the oven let it cool, mash with a fork in a big mixing bowl with sugar and cinnamon. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, ground almonds, baking powder, yogurt and mix well, add the flour and olive oil, mix well again.
Pour the cake mixture into the cupcake/muffin paper cases and place the filled cases in the oven preheated to 180C on a tray. Bake for about 25 minutes, check with the wooden skewer that they are cooked through.
Take the cupcakes out and leave to cool.
Make the frosting by mixing the plain Greek style yogurt with the icing sugar.
Spread over the cupcakes with a spoon. Decorate with the berries of your choice or freeze-dried strawberries.

I don't know why some people above dislike the pumpkin soup, it really depends on how you make it. Any dish could taste vile or great.

I often use the pumpkins to make pasta.
You can also make a spectacular pumpkin dish with pasta. Cut the top of the medium sized pumpkin, remove the seeds and fluffy bits. Add a big dollop of butter spread in the middle, cover with foil and roast in the oven for half an hour. Carefully remove the pumpkin and spoon out the flesh, cube it, slightly dust with the flour and pan fry with a bit of chilli pepper, add half a glass of marsala and 30g raisins, chopped chives, and cook for 10 minutes. In the meantime cook pumpkin tortelloni in the boiling salted water. Once al dente, mix the pasta with the pumpkin cubes and put the mix in the pumpkin bowl. Bake for another 5 minutes in the oven. Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan.

There are so many recipes with pumpkin that we love, but I don't want to write an essay here.
Sadly I have no idea how to post pictures on MN.

cashmiriana Sat 09-Nov-13 10:09:26

I didn't make anything specifically Halloween although I do cook seasonally so we've had a lot of squash soup and roasted squash recently! However my DD1 (14) made cakes with grated pumpkin and ginger for Guides - they were a big hit!

DoubleMum Sat 09-Nov-13 09:32:08

We make mummy pizzas - bread muffins cut in half, spread with flora if you like, tomato puree or value pasta sauce, then use string cheese pulled apart to lay across the muffins to look like bandages. Add some sliced olives for eyes and bake in the oven for about 15 mins.

Mignonette Sat 09-Nov-13 09:13:22

My daughter made this halloween cupcake.

And these and these.

They tasted great because the icing was made of whipped cream and mascarpone flavoured with lime and a little sugar so not too sickly.

MamaMummyMum Sat 09-Nov-13 08:41:25

After carving out pumpkins, we used the inners to make scrummy Pumpkin and Coconut bread :

Ingredients - makes 2 loaves of bread

* 400g Castor Sugar
* 220g Brown Sugar
* 250ml Vegetable oil
* 4 Eggs
* 440g Plain Flour
* 2 tsps Bicarbonate of Soda
* 2 tsps Salt
* 1 tsp Ginger
* Pureed Pumpkin
* 75g Dessicated Coconut
* 150ml Water

Preparing

* Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
* Grease and flour two loaf tins.
* Mix together the oil, sugars and eggs.
* Stir in the pumpkin puree.
* Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, ginger and water.
* Finally add the coconut and fold into the mixture.
* Pour the mix into the loaf tins and bake for around 60 minutes.

I put a skewer in the centre around 50 minutes and again at 55 minutes, if the skewer comes out clean then the bread is baked to perfection.

Sorry no flora was used in the making!!

Iggity Fri 08-Nov-13 22:24:15

Cupcakes with cream coloured icing then added web and spider on top. Very impressive!

Reastie Fri 08-Nov-13 20:52:26

i made skull face pizza with brains (spaghetti) and orange and mouse dropping cake for pud smile

poopoopoo Fri 08-Nov-13 20:44:11

We made creepy crawley crispy cakes: from the Sainsbury website:
http://www.sainsburys-live-well-for-less.co.uk/recipes-inspiration/recipes/crunchy-creepy-crawlies/
The ingredients were not listed so we got the ideas from other websites
We had beetroot and berry (like blood)drink with floating eyeballs (actually lychees with blueberries stuck in the middle and frozen!).
We had black spaghetti (cooked in squid ink).
and Jelly worms! (made by pouring jelly into bendy straws in a bundle)

The creepy crawlies are the favourite though sooo.....
Preparation time
approx 1 hour - they need time to harden in the fridge

What you need: (Double it if you have loads of kids round to play like we did!)
60g flora!
3 table spoons golden syrup
1 x 100g bar milk or dark chocolate
90g/ 3 oz Rice Krispies

What you do:
Line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper cases. Melt 150g of the chocolate with the butter and golden syrup in a pan over a low heat. Stir to combine. Remove from the heat. Add the rice pops and stir until well coated.
Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and press it down. Push 3 of the mint stick pieces into each side of the rice crispy rounds, for legs.
Melt the remaining chocolate in the microwave (about 1 minute) and drizzle over the rice crispy rounds to secure the legs. Transfer to the fridge and chill for 2 hours.
When set, remove the paper cases and flip the creepy crawlies upside down. Use the writing icing pen to stick on 2 chocolate beans for eyes and serve.

katiewalters Fri 08-Nov-13 20:25:35

We did zombies teeth- marshmallows between Apple slices and we did a witches brew- bananas, icecream, frozen berries in blender. Put it in the glass and sprinkled with marshmallows and smarties

rachel19784 Fri 08-Nov-13 19:28:32

This Halloween I got all creative with the kid's and made extra special gifts for my neices, nephews and Neighbours.
We filled glasses with Halloween Jelly sweets and wrapped in cellophane.We also made Scary Skewers, such an easy yet effective way to give sweets.
We gave a few of this out to people who came trick or treating. It was really nice to see the smile on there face when they were presented with something a little bit more unusual than the usual shop bought sweets people give .Infact these probably only cost me approx 30p each to make! check them out here: umeandthekids.com/make-scary-halloween-treats/

michelleblane Fri 08-Nov-13 19:23:43

We dont really do much for Halloween. We live pretty rural and have no neighbours so kids dont 'trick or treat' We did make some cup cakes which I iced like spiders webs, and the kids made a turnip lantern. We always made lanterns with turnips for bonfire night when I was little. (Pumpkins just existed in story books in those days).

helenthemadex Fri 08-Nov-13 19:17:51

I made a basic sponge cake (made with flora grin) and did a spider web on the top, not very exciting but with added red food colouring it look quite good, added jelly woms poking out of the middle kids liked it

DoctorGilbertson Fri 08-Nov-13 19:04:02

We carved a pumpkin (big success, we liked doing this) and tried to turn the scraped out insides into pumpkin soup as my (non-vegetable eating) son claimed that he liked it. Not such as success. I had it on the hob next to my hand held blender (one of those clever ones that come in two parts so you can just wash up the bit that has been in the food) and I melted the top of the blender so the two parts no longer fit together and I couldn't blend the soup. Apparently my son does not eat unblended pumpkin soup.

On the up side I went to the supermarket yesterday and they were selling off halloween cake making/decorating kits at 57p and this evening we have enjoyed making and decorating some cakes. I didn't tell the kids that they were halloween cakes though as I suspect that some marketing executive failed to realise that although appropriately spooky coffin shaped cake decorating kits with maggots on the front are not likely to inspire purchase.

I have been meditating on whether I would have bought them at 57p before halloween but I suspect not as I zoom straight past seasonal kits in the supermarket regardless of the price point. But I do like a reduced offer hence the coffin / maggot cake mix that we cooked up this evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now