This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

What treats did you make for Halloween? Share your recipes with Flora and you could win a £200 John Lewis voucher NOW CLOSED

(127 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 25-Oct-13 12:52:40

Flora have asked us to find out about Mumsnetters’ favourite Halloween themed recipes.

Here's what Flora have to say, "With Halloween and half term coming up, it’s a great time for making treats with your children. We’d love to hear about your favourite recipes for Halloween treats.“

So what are your favourite Halloween treat recipes? Do you make an impressive spooky sponge? Or maybe you prefer a classic pumpkin pie? Are you an expert at making creepy cookies?

Have you seen any Halloween creations you wish you could make? What has inspired you to get creative this Halloween?

Whatever your favourite Halloween recipes are, Flora would love to hear them. Please post links/pictures/descriptions of your favourite Halloween creation on this thread.

Everyone who posts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £200 John Lewis voucher.

Please note your comments may be included on Flora's social media channels, and possibly elsewhere, so please only post if you're comfortable with this.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

Indith Tue 29-Oct-13 15:29:15

I like making chocolate or fondant mice in silicone trays using strawberry laces to give them long tails. I have some new lego mini figure trays so might try making lego man biscuits and decorating them as skeletons, zombies etc this year.

I halve a gem squash, scoop out the seeds and fill the hollow with a mixture of sour cream and chive, creamed corn, spring onions and yellow pepper. Looks like a scalped head with brains spilling out and tastes "bloody" gorgeous!

wonkylegs Tue 29-Oct-13 15:42:32

Toffee Apple Cake
Regular sponge cake recipe the add a finely chopped apple to the mix + 1 generous teaspoon of cinnamon to the mix
Cook in oven like a sponge but usually for about 10mins more (I do mine in a loaf pan but could be round)
When you take it out of the oven immediately put chopped toffees and chocolate on top so that it melts to form a crust on the cooling cake.
We added little white chocolate stars and dark chocolate spiders to complete the Halloween theme.

Fry cardomom, cumin, turmeric, curry powder and garlic. Soften onion. Add 1/2" cubes of pumpkin plus other veg like courgette, pepper. Stir through risotto rice then ladle in stock.

Amounts depend on how many people, but 1/2tsp each of the spices/1 small pumpkin/1 onion/mug of rice+pint of stock does 2 meals for us 2 adults plus dustbin 1yo!

Tanfastic Tue 29-Oct-13 16:56:10

Last year I made chocolate cupcakes with liquorice laces as legs (they were a bugger to find) and made spider cupcakes. Ds wasn't that impressed actually, doubt ill bother this year!

BoysWillGrow Tue 29-Oct-13 17:41:20

oh i am so copying hellmouthcusty's jelly in the pumpkin idea

DoItTooJulia Tue 29-Oct-13 18:02:58

How do I post a picture?

Spirael Tue 29-Oct-13 18:55:08

We do gingerbread cut into spooky shapes (bats, etc) and decorated appropriately. The gingerbread is ideal for cutting into shapes, as well as nice and warming as the nights draw in.

It also starts to hark towards Christmas being round the corner after Halloween, when we get the Christmas cutters out instead!

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Tue 29-Oct-13 18:57:53

I bake my usual oaty cookie recipe, but with extra cinnamon or spices and some orange food colouring, then ice on pumpkin faces, so they look a bit like mini pumpkins if you squint a bit and use your imagination.

We've made cheese straws to look like amputated fingers before. Almonds make good finger nails and tomato purée is pretty convincing as blood. Served with a bloody ketchup dip.

Onykahonie Tue 29-Oct-13 19:02:59

My kids love helping to make Cheesy Eyeballs and Witches Fingers...Flora works really well in the recipe too!

RubySparks Tue 29-Oct-13 19:42:09

Ginger dead men! Got a new cutter that puts the imprint of a skeleton onto the ginger dead man.... Then just decorate.

Make red jelly and blackcurrant jelly separately. Squash them up and mix, then add a load of gummy worms for leeches.

We used to stuff popcorn into those gloves you get with hair dye, to make warty hands to decorate the table with.

And dead men's fingers, with hotdog sausages and an almond flake for a fingernail.

Fairy cakes with spider web icing.

LonelyGoatherd Tue 29-Oct-13 19:53:34

Add fudge to apple pie to give it a toffee apple flavour. Easy and yum!

Serve pumpkin soup in hollowed out pumpkin, with breadsticks (aka corpse fingers).

Voodoo doll biscuits - use gingerbread man cutters.

BigGapMum Tue 29-Oct-13 20:57:28

Very boringly we are just making gingerbread cookies, cut into pumpkin lantern shapes with a Halloween cutter. To be decorated by 5 year old DS any way he sees fit.

Loving the jelly filled pumpkin idea, and also drawing a pumpkin lantern on a Satsuma.

I sound a bit pumpkin obsessed...

Dancealot Tue 29-Oct-13 20:58:02

Green soup- either broccoli or pea makes a great witch's potion. I also add bread croutons and tell the children they are crusty witch's toenails that have been added to the potion.

GoldenHares Tue 29-Oct-13 21:41:23

Making pizzas with 'spider web cheese.' Basically just thinly cheese sprinkled cheese in spider webby shape.

Bogey jelly - lime jelly. That's it.

Dirt Cup cakes. Cup cakes topped with icing and crumbled up Oreos. Can use Flora in cup cake recipe.

I try and trick my kids into eating something healthy as well as all the crap they have on Halloween so do some chopped up raw veg and make a tomato based soup & buttered pitta and give it a vaguely spooky name and hope they are duped.

sharond101 Tue 29-Oct-13 21:47:08

We do regular toffee apples, cupcakes with spiderweb icing and some kind of fruit punch with floating scary things like jelly worms.

The cupcakes recipe is here, www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolatecobwebcupca_93842.

Last year we made punch from cranberry juice, lemonade and sherbet so it had froth which we added some popping candy ontop of.

BlathAarghZombieBite Tue 29-Oct-13 22:07:37

Every year DS asks me to make mini pumpkins. I hollow out oranges, carve in a face and then fill them with jelly that I set in a bowl and chopped up. He loves them.

Hot dog sausages wrapped in croissant dough/puff pastry and baked also make good Mummies

HootyMcOwlface Wed 30-Oct-13 03:32:21

I don't normally do Halloween, but a few years ago I made some half green/half purple fairy cakes, so a dollop of each colour in the cases, then I used icing pens to write spooky messages and draw crap pictures of witches. My family ate them but I suspect they were just being polite.

VestaCurry Wed 30-Oct-13 05:09:54

Last year I made chocolate truffle eyeballs which took ages and were gone in 30 seconds.

aristocat Wed 30-Oct-13 15:23:02

We love making witches' fingers and make cupcakes with orange icing and a spiders web iced on to them. I did make a broccoli soup (last year) which was a fabulous shade of green smile

Add some eyeballs to a jug of squash to make the children squeal.

as per my fri post at 13:05 this here is a picture of jelly worms and recipe it is fab

DoItTooJulia Wed 30-Oct-13 22:00:31

Yup, we do witches fingers. Almonds and pastry, I saw the recipe in the Sainsburys magazine.

Mummys...Veggie sausages, frankfurter kind, wrapped in a long strip of pastry so it looks like bandages.

Last year I made a spherical cake and iced it to look like a pumpkin.

I love a good reason to get baking!

rootypig Thu 31-Oct-13 12:21:21

Meringue ghosts! really easy. Make an American meringue with cornflour (beat egg whites til soft peaks, add 1oz caster sugar for every egg white used, add the sugar very gradually, beat until stiff and glossy, then add a touch of vinegar to stabilise the mix, and some cornflour) then spoon into ghost shapes (essentially a blob with a smaller, point blob on top) on a baking sheet lined with parchment and bake in a very low oven (130) until crisp outside and chewy inside. Pipe on chocolate ghosty faces when cooled.

Or peel satsumas and use a chunk of green apple as a pumpkin stalk, much easier grin

lilyloo Thu 31-Oct-13 16:19:30

We have made some ghost lollipops to give out tonight. Cut out a circle of white icing and drape over lollipops. Black iced eyes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now