This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Share stories and photos of the unloved parts of your home with B&Q - £150 giftcard to be won NOW CLOSED

(72 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-Oct-13 15:44:38

We're working with B&Q, who so far have helped lots of MNers revamp their unloved rooms and gardens. You can check out the video of their room and garden revamps here. Now, B&Q would like to hear about the unloved parts of your home.

So, what parts of your home could use some more love? Maybe your bedroom wallpaper has started peeling? Or your bathroom tiles have started getting mouldy? Could your kitchen do with some new cupboards?

Please share details, and preferably a photo of the unloved parts of your home here, and tell us where they are and what you'd like to do to make them more loved.

Everyone who shares their story and/or photos on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £150 B&Q gift card.

Please note that any stories or photos you share on this thread may appear on B&Q's pages on Mumsnet and potentially elsewhere.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!
MNHQ

PS – For more chances to win, why not upload a photo of your unloved room and tell us what you want to with it at diy.com/myunlovedroom. Each month 10 winners will receive vouchers to redo their room.

BadMissM Sun 17-Nov-13 23:46:51

It's a tie.... this is a rented house, ad it has some 'lovely' design features. The blown vinyl wallpaper (impossible to paint, foul to look at), the all mismatched bathroom, the bland beige kitchen... but my top two parts for attention are

1) The vile bruise-purple badly applied chimneybreast in the living room, that I have to look at every single day. This clashes wonderfully with the cream and red flowered wallpaper in the alcoves, and the pale blue blown vinyl on the other three....delectable. The carpet is a revolting shade of poo-brown....

2) The bland and blown vinyl horror of my bedroom. It currently looks like an explosion in a clothes factory as not only is it ugly, but supremely non-functional. You would think somewhere so joyless would at least have somewhere to put things.....no, it has no storage whatesoever.

As I have to look at these horrors daily, being at home with a small baby and no job, it would be lovely to banish them!

AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Nov-13 16:16:08

Thanks for all your comments, the winner of the prize draw DinoSnores - congratulations! I'll PM you for your details shortly.

the whole of the upstairs of my house looks like some one has got confused and put laminate floor on the walls. I'd love to get rid of the swedish sauna look.

liamjay205 Mon 11-Nov-13 03:59:59

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

angell74 Sun 10-Nov-13 23:48:01

Our garage is the place where things go to get mouldy and lost. I really need to clear it out and set up some proper storage. I am sure we could put wellies on half of our neighbourhood if only I could find them. Now where did I put my winter boots .........

whattodoo Sun 10-Nov-13 20:21:17

the small patch at the front of the house is sadly neglected. it is a small area, gravelled over with wrought iron railing.
It gets forgotten about because it is functional but not used other than to get in and out of the house.
But the trees opposite drop leaves onto the gravel and we never bother to clear them up. And the wrought iron REALLY needs rubbing down and repainting, but its such a horrid job that will take ages that we haven't done it.
Its a shame really because our house is so pretty, and these few details would really enhance the look.

ataraxia Sun 10-Nov-13 00:15:23

My parents' bedroom was always at the back of the DIY list - dark and cramped with outdated fitted wardrobes. Would be nice to give something back to them.

gloriafloria Sat 09-Nov-13 22:06:31

My son's bedroom. The teeniest, tiniest bedroom you ever did see. It has 2 external walls making it the coldest room and suffers with condensation causing damp and mould so I have a daily routine of wiping the windows and walls to prevent it taking over. Our plan is to empty everything out, strip the walls, move the radiator to one of the external walls. Then treat the walls and re plaster before decorating and new flooring. Also would love a magician carpenter to design and build a sleeping/storage/study area to house ds and all his stuff smile

sabretiggr Sat 09-Nov-13 21:34:33

Our front room is sadly lacking, and hasn't been touched since just after we moved in 12 years ago. The rest of the house has been updated over time, but the front room is just the same as it was, and needs some work to be updated and become the safe and fun room it should be for my 18month dd.

everythinghippie29 Sat 09-Nov-13 20:53:32

I'd love to do our bathroom, we really need a convert from just a shower cubicles to a bath with a baby on the way and I would love to get on top of the damp in there!

Its a very small bathroom but there is potential for it to be much more family friendly and prettier to the eye. As it is, I don't think it has been updated since the 80s, peach spackled wall and cheap cut to size lino is such a good look! grin

IAlwaysThought Sat 09-Nov-13 20:20:54

blush. Sorry for the typos,I think my post needs a make over too.

IAlwaysThought Sat 09-Nov-13 20:18:21

We are slowly working through our house but I'd love to do up the spare bedroom. It's untouched since we moved in and whist it is a bright and airy room it is devoid of any character whatsoever.
It needs new carpet, curtains, lighting and a paint job.
It has built in cupboards with the original 60’s I'll fitting doors I would like to replace them myself.
I do a lot of DIY and can do most stuff myself except for electrics and plumbing.

DeathByLaundry Sat 09-Nov-13 15:22:59

So, what parts of your home could use some more love?
- the kitchen units are pretty old and tired. I fancy painting them but the worktop is dire and the actual cupboards are not really in good enough shape for it to be worth it.
- the DC's room hasn't been decorated since we moved here 7 years ago. I'd love to revamp it as a surprise for them, maybe in some cool colours rather than motifs (which might date/become desperately uncool quickly).

All of our house is a bit tatty really but it's home and we love it anyway smile

tinypumpkin Sat 09-Nov-13 14:56:14

The study. It is little girl pink (previous inhabitants). We had plans to sort it before the children arrived but I gave birth much earlier than planned and then lost DD1. Lost motivation oddly enough and it no longer mattered. Starting to bug me now four years on, particularly as I work from home . As usual the issues are lack of time with another child in the house and stupid work schedules.

I hate baby pink!

The most unloved room in my house is the hall, it is where all of the gardening things go and the tumble drier lives, it was decorated but the dog made a mess of it and the tuble dryer moisture makes the wallpaper crinkle. its an awful place to come into as a first impression of the house but because we have little storage is the store for anything that doesnt have a place

CatAmongThePigeons Sat 09-Nov-13 08:44:36

We had a leak from our shower that had gradually leaked through to the hallway downstairs and the ceiling has started to come away in places which isn't very safe. Add to the artex on the walls which cuts you when you brush against it and the cat wrecked carpets and bannisters (courtesy of the previous owners!) The hall is in a sorry state.

It isn't the welcoming room we would love to have when we come through the front door.

goldenretriever Sat 09-Nov-13 07:48:16

mine would be the bathroom. We have a mould problem and we really need to strip the old wallpaper off and put some tiles on, have to say that it is quite minging...

DinoSnores Fri 08-Nov-13 19:00:13

The room optimistically referred to as the the study but is really where piles of paper go to die. I am pretty organised and like having things in order, but my DH is a bit different - a source of a bit of disagreement. It's the last room for us to redecorate since we moved in. I think the wallpaper is older than I am!

10thingsihateaboutpoo Fri 08-Nov-13 18:40:29

Our bedroom. It's dull magnolia, has awful cheap curtains/bedding and cheap furniture. Would love it to be more of a sanctuary!

DoctorGilbertson Fri 08-Nov-13 18:18:52

Books are our problem. They are on our sideboards, under our side boards, on our coffee table, under our coffee table, on our dining table. Our living room is much loved, but I think that more book shelves would make it not only loved, but also loved looking.

Oh and it has light feature antlers on the wall. I don't object to them really, but some nice free standing lamps would really help as well.

Fletch049 Fri 08-Nov-13 18:12:45

I would love to have either my bathroom redone as the bath is cracked and overall look of the room is shocking. Or I would like to turn a room into a proper kids room so my niece and daughter can both stay in and play with no worries.

knightonian Thu 07-Nov-13 21:25:01

As Flora begins to move we're realising more and more baby proofing needs to be done.

Our fireplaces need sorting, we've never got around to them

They're uneven and have holes in the back, they're really in desperate need of cementing.

Probably needing digging out and cementing.

If we won this prize I would use the money to buy some tiles to make it look special and suit our Victorian house

Without it, well I guess we will just have to make it safe.

I've not got great DIY skills and therefore struggle to get motivated but this could be the incentive for me to push myself beyond my boundaries

manfalou Mon 04-Nov-13 11:24:24

We had a conservatory built in 2008. It still isn't finished. It has no light in, the windowsills need sealing and painting, we need skirting board for it, we need beading for the main wall above the door... We relied too much on a family member to help us (who never did) and then had kids so its taken a back seat on our 'to do' list. We'd love to get it into some sort of decent shape so we can use it as a room but its just a dumping ground. And now we have two kids we need the space to relax in.

unquietmind Sat 02-Nov-13 22:50:14

A lot of our house could do with love with all the gloss work but the worst room is the box room with all the paper peeling; mould; badly discoloured woodwork and nothing in it than an old divan and one seld. Sadly ignored room due to cost and time. Would love to solve thw mould problem redecorate with paint and one feature paper wall and accessorise it to make it less anaemic and unloved and more welcoming and warm

asuwere Fri 01-Nov-13 20:11:38

I would love to decorate our livingroom as it's the same green wallpaper that was here when we moved in but really, it's not too bad. The most unloved room, sadly, is our DSs room. We quickly painted over the mis-matched wallpaper when we swapped rooms round nearly 3 years ago when DD1 arrived... After reading the last B&Q unloved room thread showing the revamps which people had achieved, I became determined to do their room properly - I started stripping the paper but could only manage an hour or so at a time while DD2 was napping. The plaster started coming off too so I really lost motivation and have not touched it for weeks. So, the poor boys are now left with a room, still with mis-matched painted wallpaper but also with a couple of half stripped walls and a big hole in the plaster (which they keep poking and making worse!)

I reckon it could just take a couple of days to get done but it's so difficult to find that time; between work and looking after the kids. I really need to set a deadline and do it - I do feel guilty every time I go in there. They have a nice carpet so at least they have something nice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now