Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

What is your favourite record in the Guinness World Records Book - if you or your DCs could be in it what would record would you/ they want to have? You could win £200 for adding your comment NOW CLOSED

(120 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-Oct-13 10:05:18

Guinness World Records say "Our book (in case you didn't know) is the official reference for world records. Distributed in more than one hundred countries and translated into twenty languages, the Guinness World Records book is one of the best-selling books of all time.

Bursting with new and updated achievements, the Guinness World Records 2014 book offers the most inspiring record holders, new topics such as Superheroes and Venom, and feature chapters on urban life, the circus and our dynamic Earth. The Augmented Reality feature is back, with even more 3D animations. Live through the exciting experience of seeing record holders erupt from the pages in front of your eyes in full 3D. If you liked it last year, you are going to love it this year!"

To celebrate the launch of the 2014 Guinness World Records Book the team there have asked MN to find out from you what your favourite record is in the Guinness World Records Book and why? And - if you or your child(ren) could have a record entry in it, what would it be?

Add your comment below and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £200 Amazon voucher! grin

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

PS If you haven’t got your copy yet, the 2014 book is now available in-store and online.

Patilla Tue 22-Oct-13 12:59:09

Don't have this book but it would be right up DS street I reckon yet more opportunities to correct me on facts I don't know!

I think would most likely be able to achieve some kind of record for length of time talking without pausing.

DS himself would probably prefer to aim for a marathon tv viewing record!

clubnail Tue 22-Oct-13 13:39:36

Another one for the fingernails. Fascinating, and I always wondered why someone would do that to themselves, it is so impractical. And looks dirty.

I would like to be in it for winner of the biggest lottery jackpot. Though I WOULDN'T like to be in it for that as I'd prefer to be anonymous if I did win such an amount.

ShatnersEmptyCatacomb Tue 22-Oct-13 14:35:21

I loved the woman with the long, dirty, curly-wurly nails too - morbid curiosity played a large part in my childhood interests confused

I think my kids would be looking at a competitive eating sort of record. The most Haribos eaten within a minute.

enderwoman Tue 22-Oct-13 14:54:36

I love the Gamer's edition of the Guiness Book of Records. The guy with the Mario collection was fascinating. I'd love to see more people like that.

My son could be in the GBR for playing computer games while bouncing up and down. He can easily go 2 hours without stopping.

records for the most piercings, i love looking at the pictures smile ironically i have no piercings or tattoos myself.

my ds would hold the record for sounding the most like a seal smile he has taken to making a bizarre silly noise that sounds just like one

mawbroon Tue 22-Oct-13 15:08:19

I enjoy the Guiness book of records, but sometimes I do look at what people have done and wonder what on earth would possess somebody to do that!!!

QueFonda Tue 22-Oct-13 15:43:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

choccyp1g Tue 22-Oct-13 15:46:12

Unless someone has already beaten it, my favourite will be "the most number of people doing star-jumps for 2 minutes"...because DS and I were in the crowd, and have the certificates to prove it. But our record just missed the print deadline for last year, so has probably been overtaken without ever appearing.

Normally I like ones that are about real things, like tallest man, oldest woman, most number of puppies in a litter rather than silly stuff like eating competitions.

What I would love to be in for would be any giant vegetable. Largest pumpkin, longest parsnip etc.

CMOTDibbler Tue 22-Oct-13 16:20:44

I used to love the GBWR. My ds would get a record for 'most continuous questions'

stephgr Tue 22-Oct-13 16:36:44

I used to love the longest nails ones because the people looked really freaky and I used to wonder how on earth they could actually do normal day to day things. My record would have to be staying awake for the longest time with no sleep whatsoever although I think there would be lots of contenders.

DoctorTwo Tue 22-Oct-13 18:59:24

My favourite world record is the longest scarf knitted whilst running a marathon. 12ft 1 3/4in apparently.

I'd quite like to play chess against many grandmasters simultaneously despite being a rubbish chess player. I'd just use Derren Browns cheat. grin

CorrieDale Tue 22-Oct-13 19:04:07

Largest taekwondo demonstration in the world - because DS and I were in it a couple of Sundays ago! Hopefully it won't be overtaken until after the next book!

I was surprised by how much effort and work is required to organise such things. In my naïveté I agreed to be on the committee, not realising it would be a bigger time suck than mumsnet even!

BlackberrySeason Tue 22-Oct-13 19:12:53

As a teen I used to think the number of people in the mini was very funny!! grin

Fumnudge Tue 22-Oct-13 19:19:17

My fave was the worlds longest jiving bacause my mother was one of the dancers! Sadly the record has been broken now but it was great to have that connection.

I like the really random ones like 'how many baked beans car you fit up your nose' (May or May not be a record)

I would like to have a world record in something, anything will do smile

(I had this book when I was little and decided that I would try and hold the world record for the largest amount of bogies - I kept them in my desk drawer alongside my stickers.)

telsa Tue 22-Oct-13 20:25:15

Another one for the fingernails. I was so fascinated by these, especially as my life long I have never been able to grow mine.

I would love one of my children to hold the record for the most Oscars one day!

rusmum Tue 22-Oct-13 20:28:08

The human extremes used to fascinate me.tallest/ shortest, longest hair/ nails etc.

MadMonkeys Tue 22-Oct-13 20:39:18

I think I could probably hold the record for the person who has microwaved the same cup of tea the most times after discovering it had gone cold...again...

skyeskyeskye Tue 22-Oct-13 21:01:03

Another one for fingernails. As a child I used to bite mine do was always fascinated by the longest nails.

Now, I think that DD should go in there for the Worlds Messiest Bedroom! Or... Largest number of maltesers a 5yo can fit in their mouth..

BadlyWrittenPoem Tue 22-Oct-13 21:05:12

I used to always be impressed by the world's longest finger nails. Not sure what would be my favourite now - probably one of the memory feats as they take great skill. I think DD1 would probably like to have a record for tree climbing or similar.

Spirael Tue 22-Oct-13 21:12:44

I remember being fascinated by the world's tallest man when I was a child.

DD would probably want to hold the record for most cat cuddles given by a 3 YO. Personally I think most times insisting to watch Sound of Music back to back might be more appropriate...

LonelyGoatherd Tue 22-Oct-13 21:14:31

How high people can jump used to amaze me.
And our family one would be who can survive on the least amount of sleep!

sharond101 Tue 22-Oct-13 22:19:26

We like the size ones like the smallest and tallest man, longest hair and nails. DS will be in running for the longest hair and nails given we need to pin him down to cut either of them.

ChippyMinton Tue 22-Oct-13 22:56:05

DS2's favourite is the largest gathering of most people dressed as Peter Pan, which he took part in.
And I was going to say the largest game of musical bumps but the DCs' record has been taken by another school. They did get to meet the world's tallest man though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now