This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

"Sometimes you just can't help comparing" - Do you agree? What do you compare? You could win £250 by sharing your thoughts with E.ON NOW CLOSED

(115 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-Oct-13 09:59:04

Inspired by the new E.ON comparison tool, they have asked us to find out your views on comparing - not just energy consumption but in other aspects of your family life too.

E.ON says "How does your energy use stack up compared to other E.ON customers in your area? Now, if you manage your E.ON account online, you can find out with the Saving Energy Toolkit our new energy comparison tool to help you use no more than you need."

So, if you are an E.ON customer and manage your account online, check out the comparison tool and let us know how your energy use compares to similar E.ON customers homes near you. Has knowing this prompted you to make some changes to how you use energy in your home? If so, what sort of changes do you think you could make? What quick fixes could you make? What could you plan for the future?

If you're not an E.ON customer (or don't manage your account online) please share what sort of things you compare with other people or with things you read or see in your own life: does this make you ever change your own behaviour? For example: do you compare your child's lunchbox with his/her friends and get ideas for your own? Or do you ask friends what books they've enjoyed and then go onto buy/ borrow them yourself?

Everyone who adds a comment to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £250 voucher (a "Compliments voucher" (a multi-store gift voucher that can be spent at 130 retailers and 450 independent stores making up over 20,000 outlets nationwide).

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ
For prize draw terms and conditions please click here - by posting on the thread you are agreeing to these terms

As I'm not the tallest person ever, at a mighty 5ft nothing, I compare my height with others on a regular basis.
Comparing with adults I fairly much always come off worse, so I've taken to comparing my height against that of children.
Sadly that means I now know I'm shorter than some 9 year oldshmm.
I'm sure they didn't make children that big beforegrin.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-Oct-13 08:14:54

SalBeautyMoll - good point...bear with as I need to check it with E.ON and their legal team.

gazzalw Tue 22-Oct-13 09:41:20

I compare little (except commentary on my football team and other children's behaviour or rather the parents approach to disciplining their children, or not, as the case may be!) whereas DW compares much (very competitive upbringing) even though we are not exactly well-off and actually we aren't very materialistic. Actually thinking about it, it's more to do with academic prowess and manifestations of learnedness that she's on a constant comparison mission. Yes, bargain-hunting and who can get most for their money is one major source of comparison that's high on our household agenda too!

Yes, I actually think it would be quite unnatural not to fall into the comparison trap, but maybe that says something about our culture and how we value ourselves and other people - ponders whether the Dalai Lama compares and contrasts life, love and the universe - I think possibly not.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-Oct-13 10:24:04

SalBeautyMoll - T&Cs now amended. thanks

I do compare quite a lot, I try not to but I do!
Homes
Gardens
Children
Toys
Food
Car
Holidays
Days out
Pushchairs
Clothes

My material things are almost never as good but my dh and children are always better wink (biased!)

I think comparisons come from insecurities.

isitme1 Tue 22-Oct-13 11:19:11

I compare a lot but I think my biggest comparison seems to be between my 2 boys

My eldest ds is 3 and has always been a fussy eater since day1 and has never reallu thrived. Turns out he has medical issues and is in hospital a lot. Then comes ds2 who is 3months who is half the weight of ds1. Just comes to show that you dont get 2 the same.
I was comparing ds1 weight and 3months and ds2 at his current weight and ds2 'wins'.
In short ds2 is very healthy compared to ds1 but my love for the both of them remains the same

thlsmile

I compare:

- prices online before making purchases
- houses on the market locally (not even planning on moving but love looking on rightmove)
- average monthly temperatures in holiday destinations
- insurance quotes
- petrol forecourt prices
- ideas for entertaining the kids with other parent's plans to get ideas from each other
- gardens in the neighbourhood whilst walking my dog

I think it's natural to make comparisons, it's something I do without thinking most of the time.

Merrylegs Tue 22-Oct-13 12:30:10

I just checked the EON comparison tool and apparently we use 74% more electricity than other homes. I am blubbing now. And working out how I can turn tears into energy. Boo hoo.

Fumnudge Tue 22-Oct-13 12:50:42

I compare my husband to my friends' husbands! Usually he comes off quite well in comparison

3bunnies Tue 22-Oct-13 13:25:34

I compare prices of things I want to buy such a toys, clothes etc looking for a bargain. I also compare prices in stores, especially 'special offers' it is amazing how many things in supermarkets on offer are available in a different format for less next to the things on offer.

I recently did compare energy prices and have switched saving about 200 pounds, worth it for a few minutes work.

flamingtoaster Tue 22-Oct-13 13:34:42

I compare prices of any major purchases online before buying.
I compare prices of products I use all the time on mysupermarket.com and buy in bulk when they are on offer.
I should compare the prices quoted by the various energy companies but have heard such awful stories about people being charged twice when they switched etc. that I am currently getting up my courage given the recent price hikes.

clubnail Tue 22-Oct-13 13:47:37

I don't compare my life, or what we own, to other people's - some will be less well off, some better.
I don't compare what we eat to anyone else - we eat what we like and want to, I don't really care what other people do.

I do compare prices. Every year we check we are paying the best prices for gas/electric, etc. I always compare prices when shopping, and enjoy tracking down a bargain. It's so easy now with everything online.

SalBeautyMoll Tue 22-Oct-13 14:00:28

Thanks Ann re T&Cs.

Im not an eon customer but i do compare prices online for everything. if i am buying a game for the children ill look around for the best offers,discounts or codes! if im buying food shopping i shop in a variety of different places even though it means a bit of traipsing around. I recently compared my broadband prices through topcashback and switched providers earning £121 in the process smile comparision is important to get the best deals

I definitely compare prices, and I can sort of see the point of comparing energy costs with those of your neighbours if your houses are identical, but living in a village where no 2 houses are identical there doesn't seem a lot of point to that. Plus I am in denial about how much oil we use so I don't want to think about it too hard.

CMOTDibbler Tue 22-Oct-13 16:25:29

I frequently compare my dog to others, and tell him how dim he is in comparison!

Compare everything! Out husbands good points and bad points, hours our children sleep, what they eat, how much free time we have as well as more tangible things such as recipes, health tips, sales bargains etc

As soon as I saw this thread I had to add "Comparison is the thief of joy", Theodore Roosevelt...it is often quoted around communities of parents of children with additional needs. In this sense, comparison is useless and will make people unhappy about their perception of the lack of progress in their child.

The same would apply to material possessions and life events out of our control.

However a wise person would use price comparison websites and other consumer tools as businesses increasingly try to bamboozle customers with ever more unreadable tariffs and bills.

lapsedorienteerer Tue 22-Oct-13 19:32:43

I am an e.on customer and this prompted me to compare. I'm feeling fairly smug but must admit it has prompted me to order an 'Energy Saver Powerdown' thingy! i.e. I have a TV that has no real off switch, it's always on stand-by unless I switch off the plug (which is in a hard to reach position).

SalBeautyMoll Tue 22-Oct-13 19:51:34

The web is brilliant for comparing info about everything in order to make wise selections, e.g. buying goods, holidays etc. My teenage dd just can't fathom how we managed without it, in them olden days.

I try to avoid comparing myself with peers but often fail because I don't think it's healthy for my self-esteem or pride.

IncaAztec Tue 22-Oct-13 20:25:50

I probably compare too many things. Mostly in the hope of getting a better deal. However, I find some savings too marginal to bother with (e.g. £2 change on a car insurance deal probably not worth the hassle). I am currently comparing prices on a dining room furniture set. The difference in costs is vast, but you have to bear in mind the quality...

MadMonkeys Tue 22-Oct-13 20:35:30

Surely everyone compares loads of things... the clothes other people wear, their children's skills and aptitudes, the weather from one day to the next, the price of milk in different shops... I think I compare pretty much everything.

Spirael Tue 22-Oct-13 21:04:02

I compare everything I am considering spending money on at great length. I won't just walk to the nearest shop and buy some shampoo... No I'll visit all the shops I can reach that sell shampoo to check for the best offer currently available on one of my preferred brands.

Drives my DH insane, but also pleases him at the same time. He's an accountant and very protective over money! Obviously over the years it's rubbed off. wink

Spent many happy hours recently designing our ideal bedroom, then researching and comparing to get the best items possible within the budget I'd been given. Time consuming, but very satisfying!

LonelyGoatherd Tue 22-Oct-13 21:13:30

Everything - financial stuff on price comparison websites, what my mates are doing on social networking sites, how amazingly different (but equally fabulous) my DC are, how everyone has different stresses in life, be they work, family or other.

amistillsexy Tue 22-Oct-13 21:20:00

I compare my son who has ASD with other NT children. I like it most when he comes out well grin

I compare prices all the time in supermarkets, constantly trying to cut the cost of feeding the family!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now