This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Watch KatieMumsnet discussing keeping your LOs entertained at the supermarket on Shop Talk and see if your top tips were used NOW CLOSED

(142 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-Oct-13 10:38:53

Last week MNers shared their top tips on keeping your LOs onside whilst doing the supermarket shop - thank you for all your comments. Watch Shop Talk now to see if your top tips made it on the show!

Barclaycard Freedom Rewards, in association with Mumsnet, have created a new weekly online chat show: Shop Talk. Over the next few weeks, they'll be looking for MNers' shopping tips and tricks on a range of topics.

Heres what Barclaycard have to say about the show: "Shop Talk is a weekly chat show where we tackle the big shopping stories that you're talking about. A different presenter will host the show each week and first up was Andrea McLean.
Two panellists, including shopping blogger Emily and Katie from MNHQ join Andrea to discuss keeping the kids on side during your supermarket shop as well as making the most of those family days in during half term."

With regards to the Barclaycard Freedom Rewards credit card, Barclaycard say:
"Supercharge your every day shop with the Barclaycard Freedom Rewards credit card. Not only can you earn double Freedom Reward points at any UK supermarket or petrol station, you can also use it with the rewards card you already have to earn points. So you dont have to change the way you shop.
18.9% APR Representative (Variable)"

Next week's Shop Talk, hosted by Julia Bradbury, discusses reaping the rewards from everyday shopping and Barclaycard would love to hear your thoughts. What you would buy if you had an extra £50 on your reward cards? Would this differ to what you would buy with £50 cash? Share your comments on the thread here and you could win a £150 Champneys voucher.

Thanks,

MNHQ

WowOoo Wed 16-Oct-13 17:09:59

I find it quite stressful shopping with the children so I always need to have a pep talk before about how we are going to stick to the list.
I also try to avoid taking them, but sometimes I have to.

I get them to help me find things and they can choose some things themselves - fruit, a dessert or which type of crisps.
Sometimes, they can take some pocket money and choose a magazine.

RubySparks Wed 16-Oct-13 17:52:34

When they were little I did the frowned upon thing of feeding them either a baguette or box of strawberries as we went round... (Paid for of course!) and then as they got bigger it was a case of sending them off to get specific things. One day when I was already at checkout with my son and trolley load of shopping I went off to get something I'd forgotten and bumped into a friend so stopped for a quick chat... By the time I got back to checkout my son, aged about 8 had put all the shopping through but of course couldn't pay for it! shock In my defensive he was a big fan of the Home Alone movies...... Now they are teens I can get them to do the shopping for me smile

Mandz07 Wed 16-Oct-13 17:59:25

I have made laminated shopping list for each of my 3 dd's. each card has the essentials on that I know we will definitely have to buy at each big shop they each have a marker pen and when the fin the item on their lists the get to mark it off. I find making tasks into games seem to work best they also are promised a go on the ride before we leave the shops which keeps them happy!

bluebump Wed 16-Oct-13 18:00:34

I try to do my shop without my 5 year old but if I have to take him I give him the job of marking off the stuff we've put in the trolley from the list. He likes to load up the conveyer belt too so I use that as bribery the whole way around!

SmokedMackerel Wed 16-Oct-13 18:17:49

I buy small amounts - short and sweet. We have to go shopping more often, but if we whip in and out quickly they don't have time to get bored.

I let dd choose which bread/cereal/cheese/fruit/veg/juice/mill etc we are going to buy, and pick them off the shelves.

I avoid the pet food aisle as for some reason my kids think that the next best thing to a pet cat is a can of cat food confused

DoctorGilbertson Wed 16-Oct-13 18:53:01

My three year old still sometimes likes sitting in the trolley seat "like George pig, mummy". Mmmm, my five year old is pretty well behaved now and I am teaching him how to calculate what is the best value/weight. He's not very good at it.

My biggest hint, however is to not take them both at once. I've never really managed this one successfully.

Mmmm, oh yes, and before we moved I didn't have a card so sometimes I would take one child shopping while DH took the other to the park and then we would swap when it came to paying. Timing was everything for this strategy.

stealthsquiggle Wed 16-Oct-13 19:35:05

When they were little, I would make sure they had something to eat as we went round, as it would keep them occupied and in the trolley. Nowadays, we send them to find things (closer ones within view for DD, further for DS). On the vanishingly rare occasions when they are not sniping at each other they will go off together to get something. There is generally some aspect of shopping which they get to choose. As they get older I will get them to work out how to shop to a budget for a meal, or give them their own budget for packed lunches as my DM used to do with us.

..they still hate shopping, though, and I find it much easier and quicker to do it without them blush

nextphase Wed 16-Oct-13 19:37:19

Self scan is a big hit with my two (2 and 4).
I also ask them to get things off the shelf, and they get to pick some of the food (e.g. fruit), or meal plan going round.
We actually use me going to the supermarket on a sat morning to get them dressed "Mummy is going to Supermarket in 5 mins, are you getting dressed and coming with me or watching TV with Daddy?" They go get dressed about 8am.

MadMonkeys Wed 16-Oct-13 19:42:24

My kids actually quite like shopping! The 1yo stares in amazement at all the wonderful things for sale smile and the 3yo 'helps' me choose the best bag of carrots etc to put it the trolley. It might be a bit of a novelty though as I usually do an online shop every week and then pop to Lidl for the stuff that's too expensive online.

SoonToBeSix Wed 16-Oct-13 19:55:21

I am a bad mother because I often my toddlers food to eat on the way round that I haven't yet paid for. In my defence it is pre packed fruit.

missorinoco Wed 16-Oct-13 19:56:15

Whilst I can shop with the children, generally I opt not to shop with all three if possible, both for speed, and for reduced stress levels.

If they shop with me - no to bribes in general, I am then concerned they will not behave the next time unless I bribe them. I am not averse to a treat afterwards for good behavior, or a marble for the marble jar/sticker though.

I let them put shopping in the trolley, and have to bite my tongue as the poor vegetables fall in the basket. They can also choose products like cereal and biscuits (within reason).

My top tip is a list. I would not recommend trying to shop with your children without a list. Also do a favourite toy check at the end if you let them carry it round, if it gets dropped your heart will plummet like a stone.

GaryBuseysTeeth Wed 16-Oct-13 19:59:00

DS1 is almost 2; he gets to sit in the trolley & anything none breakable or bruiseable I pass to him to throw into the trolley, he also gets to hold THE PEN.
Occasionally he'll be given a carrot to keep him quiet, but obviously from the bag we're about to buy.

Ds2 is almost 3months (so a little easier to entertain).

Online shopping is a godsend!

SaltySeaBird Wed 16-Oct-13 20:06:29

My DD is still very young. Shopping used to be a breeze with her in the sling but now she is a bit bigger she can scream the place down if she gets bored.

She sits in the trolley and I let her inspect things I'm buying. She loves things that make noise (pasta, rice in a box) or will sit and sniff citrus fruit. If she is being especially tantrum prone I'll put her in the trolley instead of the seat. She finds this extremely fun and has full access to all the shopping to inspect (very strict about not eating or opening things, easily accessible stuff goes in the separate bit at the end).

IceNoSlice Wed 16-Oct-13 20:22:46

Why add stress to your life? And bore children when they could be playing? Online shopping for the 'big shop' every time. And small local shops for the 'top up' bits where the owners know DS and talk to him when we go in smile

Sokmonsta Wed 16-Oct-13 20:28:46

Online shopping! It's safer having the dc help take the bags through to the kitchen grin

If I have to brave a supermarket I prefer to take dh. Divide and conquer. He takes two and I take the trolley with twins.

Bribing them with a comic at the end for good behaviour.

These are all brilliant ideas.

I just go to the veg isle, get a pre-packed bag of carrots. Give them one each and the chewing and crunching keeps them occupied and mouths too full to whinge until we get to the end.

We have a list so know what we want and are in and out like carrot crunching ninja shoppers.

Puppypoppet Wed 16-Oct-13 21:00:10

Either do it online or go on my own to supermarket and leave DD with DH. Never understand why people treat it as a family outing - seriously why tramp around the supermarket together.

Trills Wed 16-Oct-13 21:10:01

The best way to keep children entertained while doing the supermarket shop is to do it online with the TV on.

Trills Wed 16-Oct-13 21:13:32

When I was younger my brother and I got £1 (might need more now!) that we were allowed to spend on whatever we liked - we went round all the aisles with mum/dad and tried to figure out what the best thing was that we could get for our pound.

(6 chocolate muffins was my best buy - you may have to be relaxed about junk food)

Hopezibah Wed 16-Oct-13 21:14:32

We struggle lots with supermarket shopping because my son has ASD and sensory issues which get triggered by supermarket noise, lighting, crowds etc.

Here's what we do for a successful shop:
Plan carefully what we need. He gets to make a list too to help.
He loves adding up - he is a little maths genius - so we get him to add some prices up or give him a calculator to keep track of the total (things like this keep his mind distracted from being a mischief!)
As a treat he can chose a magazine. This tends to occupy him at checkout time as he is busy choosing his magazine. (or occasionally we buy it first so he can read it all around the store).

For my little girl - food is the key! Things like popcorn or rice cakes or raisins that she can keep nibbling all around the shop.

Getting them to help with the scanning wand around the shop can keep their interest if you have the time and patience for that.

kilcrea Wed 16-Oct-13 21:24:37

Tescos is a fab shop if you have to bring the kids - firstly they have those kiddie friendly trolleys which look like a car at the front which are a pain to drive but the kids love them, and secondly they've just introduced self scanners in our local store so my 5 year old loves scanning the barcodes which passes the time really well!

Munxx Wed 16-Oct-13 22:09:26

I buy a baguette for them to munch on first ;)

I include my almost 3 year old with decisions, like which box of cereal to get and which fruit to buy

The baby enjoys watching the toddler

mummyofcutetwo Wed 16-Oct-13 22:15:10

We try to keep trips to the supermarket short and fresh, so we don't do the same thing every time. Sometimes DS1 writes a shopping list, other times we test our memories! I think his favourite is "supermarket sweep", when we do a slow version of the quiz show with us making up clues for things we need to get (or chocolate, crisps and toys in the case of DS1!).

sharond101 Wed 16-Oct-13 22:27:28

What are your top tips for keeping your DCs entertained around the supermarket? Do you promise a reward if they behave? Or ask them to get involved in finding particular items? Perhaps you take a book or toy for them to play with? Or maybe you’re yet to master this and dread each trip to the supermarket? Is it possible to have a stress free trip to the supermarket?

Luckily my 16mo DS is very social and likes to chatter all the way around the supermarket. I often give him something to hold like a banana or carrot. He holds it out to show everyone who passes and waves at them too.

TwerkingNinetoFive Wed 16-Oct-13 22:43:19

I make a picture shopping list for my dd as she is too young to read. I also make sure I've brought a few snacks and toys to play with. If all else fails we go to the dog food aisle to point at pictures of dogs (simple but she loves it)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now