This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Share your top tips for packed lunches with Flora and you could win a £200 John Lewis voucher NOW CLOSED

(128 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 11-Oct-13 09:26:39

The team at Flora have asked us to find out about Mumsnetters' top tips for packed lunches.

Here's what Flora have to say, "We know a fair bit about sarnies at Flora but we understand that making them perfect for healthy lunches can be a challenge. We're keen to help you keep the peace at lunchtime, so whether youre tussling with fussy eaters or just trying to broaden their taste buds we would love to hear your thoughts!"

So what are your top tips for making packed lunches for your DCs? Do you try to get some variety with different types of sandwiches and wraps? Or maybe you keep it simple? What about snacks? Do you try to keep them healthy with a portion of fruit? Or perhaps you add a chocolate bar as a treat?

Whatever your top tips for packed lunches are, Flora would love to hear them.

If you're looking for ways to make packed lunches a bit more fun, why not enter Flora's Facebook competition for a chance to win a sandwich cutter in the shape of your DC's best piece of art!

Everyone who posts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £200 John Lewis voucher.

Please note your comments may be included on Flora's social media channels, and possibly elsewhere, so please only post if you're comfortable with this.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 23-Oct-13 10:01:19

Thanks for all your comments! The winner of the prize draw is Purplehonesty - congratulations! I'll PM you for your details smile

lolancurly Mon 21-Oct-13 07:56:56

I put the usual stuff into my girls lunch boxes, including fruit, sandwiches of wraps, cake of some kind and cheese strings or frubes. I also sometimes include a little note or a joke to surprise them when they open a lunch box. You remember those lollies with jokes on the sticks? Well, I just sneak a corny joke on a slip of paper into their lunch box hidden between the chocolate crispy cake and the wrap smile

indyandlara Sat 19-Oct-13 14:18:56

Get some great Tupperware with little compartments inside. That way you can include veggies and dips and lots of little nibbly bits. Very popular in out house!

33goingon64 Fri 18-Oct-13 22:14:17

My top tip for sandwich optimum freshness is to use frozen sliced bread. Butter and assemble with filling when still frozen (you need a heavy, sharp knife to cut it into desired portions), wrap. By lunchtime the sandwich wil be ready to eat and fresh as if it had just been made. Also gives a pleasingly straight edge if cut when frozen.

sealight123 Fri 18-Oct-13 20:09:35

When I make me, my boyfriends and my daughters sandwiches I always make sure that it is a bit different each time. Essentially there would be some sandwiches, some fruit, a yogurt and a savoury snack (crisps/nuts etc)

To make sandwiches different I use different fillings, different types of bread, wraps, pittas...you name it!! For my daughter I occasionally put all of the ingredients separate as she likes to make her own sandwich like a big girl...and it becomes a bit of a game smile

I think variety is the key smile

I am also very lucky that my daughter loves fruit and veg a lot more than sweets and crisps hahaha

HootyMcOwlface Fri 18-Oct-13 12:19:30

My boy's a bit young for packed lunches yet but I remember living off tuna mayo and cucumber sandwiches as a kid, after I had them at my friend's house and begged my mum to make them for me. Mum would always stick some crackers in my lunch box for a snack (with peanut butter on them, or maybe butter and cheese), and grapes were also a favourite.

Tyranasaurus Fri 18-Oct-13 06:55:26

A fruit
A vegetable
A carb
A protein
A treat

hmm ignore spellings, sorry

I hated making packed lunches but mine had the for years, best tip is to ask the kids what they want. alternate sandwiches, wraps and salads to stop them getting bored, lots of things can be frozen and put in the lunch box as you need then, we wouls ake loads of cheese/ham rolls and freeze then and then just use when needed, cant freeze the salad though. My Ds never ate the fruit so i stopped packing it, My DD ate all the fruit so so got loads. Also it does not hurt them to have a sausage roll and paxket of crisps for lunch sometimes. I was glad when they were old enough to make their own and i could ignore the whole thing.

SetFiretotheRain Thu 17-Oct-13 15:17:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

My rules are something I know he'll eat, and a variety of things to choose from like a goody bag. Sometimes a little tub of cheese, or grapes. Carrot sticks and hummus is my big tip. He's crazy for it.

ChildrenAtHeart Wed 16-Oct-13 23:26:31

My dd has hot meals but ds takes a packed lunch. He is on the autistic spectrum so is quite inflexible with his food. He won't eat meat, cheese or butter/margarine and isn't big on fruit so it's a challenge! In the past he's taken brioche, chocolate crepes and croissant but trying to be healthier now and his current obsession is wraps with stirfried carrots, pepper and babycorn in them, plus a few 'posh' crisps and an Innocent smoothie.

Glitterfairys Wed 16-Oct-13 21:29:34

My top tip is to be organised . Have enough stuff in to last the week and always have some bread in the freezer just in case and some frozen portions of soup/stew that are easy to reheat .

Theimpossiblegirl Wed 16-Oct-13 21:21:16

I leave the trying new stuff for home. If they have something unfamiliar in their lunchboxes and don't like it, they could end up hungry through the day, or throwing it out, so I put in food I know they'l eat.

BlackeyedSusan Wed 16-Oct-13 20:44:07

go potty to pack the food they like

the children often have a pot of whatever last nights tea was. this way they get more variety than cheese or cheese and pickle sandwiches. tomorrow, they are having a pot of bean soup (mung, blackeye, red and white kidney, and butter beans, split yellow peas, peas, sweetcorn, carrots, onions, lentils, pearl barley brown rice and wholemeal pasta)

I tried wraps, but they are not keen. pitta bread is ok but a faff. neither like hummus. they like wholemeal bread rolls but only when they are reduced at the supermarket. they also have pots of pasta with veggie sauce.

pots of salad stuff tomatoes, cucumber, red and yellow peppers, plus onions, carrots and cabbage for ds)

pots of small fruit (grapes, strawberries, freshly picked blackberries. what ever is on offer in the supermarket )

piece of fruit eg apple, pear, plum, melon slice.

I m trying to cut back on cost and unhealthiness. we have stopped having processed meat at home which has reduced the variety of sandwiches. they have never had biscuits, crisps or cakes in their lunch (so far, the real pester power age has not kicked in yet) I save treats for out of school.

SoonToBeSix Wed 16-Oct-13 19:52:50

My dd's have a very simple packed lunch, a sandwich, fruit and a yogurt. If I gave them more food they wouldn't eat it because they say they don't ave enough time.

MadMonkeys Wed 16-Oct-13 19:46:13

I vary it as much as possible but only within the range of things I know DD will eat. Sandwiches/pasta, cucumber always goes down well, yoghurt then small portions of fruit, cheese, maybe a couple of mini party rings or jammy dodgers. I tend to go for small amounts of lots of things to keep her interested.

pickofthepops Wed 16-Oct-13 18:51:33

Success tuna sandwiches are a hit

Katz Wed 16-Oct-13 16:50:47

We vary what goes in their lunch boxes. Flasks are a must left overs from roast dinner is turned into chicken noodle soup, left over pasta and sauce goes in, beans ect.

Treat on a Friday.

lottietiger Wed 16-Oct-13 16:24:22

Lunches are always made the night before and consist of , a plain sandwich, 3 pieces of fuit normally grapes, banana plus one other, a packet of raisins some nuts and one sweet item of a home made cake which always goes down well.

Geniene Wed 16-Oct-13 14:04:38

My top tip is not to overdo it! Don't put too much in, the children want to eat as fast as they can to get outside and play, but obviously we want them to have enough healthy food in their bellies smile
I always add a pot of chopped fruit, a piece of cake or other treat and a sandwich or some pasta. This goes down well and my DS usually eats it all and still has time for play smile

beeelaine Wed 16-Oct-13 13:48:48

i know this sounds awful, but there is no point making your sandwiches look funky and fun if your kid dont like what is inside them! lol... a little while back i worked as a dinnerlady and was amazed at how much does not get eaten in lunchboxes (and the rubbish that some kids eat) as our son was relatively good at eating his. I think its a good idea to sit down and make a list of all the things your kids like, what they have seen in other lunch boxes and would like to try (as long as healthy) and then have a go, what i would recommend though is a nice creamy dip (our son likes the garlic type) because then almost any vegetable cut into stips can taste good. Our son also now likes to have home made cookies (less additives and you can put what you like in them) and you can make small mix and just bung them in the oven with your tea the day before. Cous cous keeps well and is almost tasteless so you can just put chunks of whatever you kids likes in that and dont be afraid to try out things like fish, i once tried some tinned mackerel and our son loves that. Its important to have a go and try because i think its unfair to give your children rubbish sugar-additive fuelled foods and then expect them to sit still in a class until 3.15!

I found little bits of a variety of things worked best, rather than a big sandwich. I mixed healthy carrot or cucumber sticks with mini sausage or falafel balls. Or a mini roll or small sandwich with a piece of cheese and savoury biscuits. This was quite expensive though and partly was done because my son is such a fussy eater and I used to worry about him not eating any lunch.
I never included sweets or chocolate but occasionally crisps or cheesy snacks. I always included a piece of fruit or a little fruit salad chopped up in a Tupperware box. Sometimes a yogurt.

Nowadays he has school dinners every day and either takes it or leaves it! Much easier and I no longer get to see the amount wasted so I don't stress about it.

MollyRoses Wed 16-Oct-13 10:38:32

Top tips:
- Don't limit yourself to sandwiches and wraps! I find pasta salad works well too.
- Snacks - the bear fruit yo yos are good because although they are high in sugar it's natural fruit sugar
- There are so many differnet types of sandwiches and wraps but often there's one flavour that someone likes so if they're going to eat ham sandwiches everyday btu are happy let them!

(I used to go to school and eat a butter sandwich for lunch...) If i was feeling adventurous I'd have a salad sandwich so I think it just depends on the child.

There is fantastic lunchbox resources ont he internet such as www.pinterest.com/amrutaa/bento-and-lunch-box-ideas/ if you have the time/patience to make them they really make lunch fun

openerofjars Tue 15-Oct-13 13:12:08

I really, really do not like making packed lunches, so my top tip is to make salami and soft cheese tortilla wraps, because they take about 20 seconds to make and are startlingly popular. I can't wait until DD is old enough to eat them.

Oh, and my other top tip is that if you upgrade your cutlery, do not throw away the teaspoons from the old set, then you can use them for packed lunches without worrying that your DC will lose the nice new ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now