This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Tell Tenderstem® what you think of their recipes and add your own - £250 voucher prize draw NOW CLOSED

(158 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Sep-13 09:57:25

The team at Tenderstem® have asked us to find out what Mumsnetters think of their latest collection of family-friendly, time-saving recipes.

In case you don't know it (yet) Tenderstem® is a long-stemmed broccoli – and tender from floret to stem so the whole vegetable can be eaten.

Here's what the team at Tenderstem® have to say, "Tenderstem® is a wonder vegetable for family cooking as, not only is it ready to eat after just 3 minutes of steaming, it is packed full of nutrients and leaves no costly waste behind making it one of the most versatile vegetables around."

They go on to say, "we know from first-hand experience how challenging it can be to keep the whole family happy and healthy when we're all so busy, which is what has inspired us to create our latest collection of recipes. With prepare-ahead dishes, to those mild in flavour, and adaptable to please a range of tastes and all quick and simple to prepare, Tenderstem® has it covered!"

They also have teamed up with family food expert and author Fiona Faulkner to give you these top ten tips to save time and money in the kitchen.

Please have a look through Tenderstem®'s specially designed Facebook album for Mumsnetters here, you could even 'like' your favourite recipe grin. Then come back to this thread and let us know what you think.

They'd also love to know whether you already cook with Tenderstem®, or whether it has yet to make it into your fridge. If you have cooked with it before, tell us what you loved about it! Feel free to share any other recipes from your repertoire which use Tenderstem®. Or any tips you have on how to prepare it/ use it in established recipes.

Everyone who joins in with the discussion on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £250 voucher for House of Fraser.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

BooMeowson Sat 12-Oct-13 21:27:46

Squee!! Thanks Mumsnet and Tenderstem grin

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 07-Oct-13 09:56:19

Hi everyone, thank you for your comments. Congratulations to BooMeowson who's won the prize draw! We'll be in touch shortly.

ataraxia Sat 05-Oct-13 12:14:38

I like the look of the pie and I'd never thought to have broccoli on pizza before!

Never heard of Tenderstem but will look out for it, sounds tasty.

mum2eci Fri 04-Oct-13 23:01:48

All 5 of us in our household love tenderstem and purple sprouting broccoli. We either have it steamed so its still al dente or enjoy it in a stir fry. The stems are sooo sweet the kids love them :-)

csmony Fri 04-Oct-13 22:47:08

My and my DD absolutely love tender stem.Tenderstem stir fry rice is my DDs favourite dinner.tenderstem fried in butter and garlic sauce make a healthy snack prepared in few minutes.
The recipes look fabulous and planning to try the pasta recipes this weekend.

halkerstone Fri 04-Oct-13 16:23:29

I love the look of the Indonesian chicken; the colours look fantastic. I think the recipes provide lots of different ideas. We love Tenderstem and also like the fact that it is a superfood but tend to eat it generally as a vegetable on its own or in a quiche.

finzean Fri 04-Oct-13 08:39:04

we do love tenderstem but only as a treat mostly in my mixed up stir fry love your variety of recipes will try some next time I have tenderstem in house....

MollyBerry Wed 02-Oct-13 23:02:16

The pictures look super yummy. Considering it is a vegetable an they are showcasing it I was surprised there weren't more showstopper recipes featuresing it.

CatHackney Wed 02-Oct-13 22:55:24

I use tenderstem all the time. It's also great roasted in the oven on a baking tray with olive oil, salt and pepper - the end bits get pleasantly crunchy.

My 6-month old baby also really enjoys it, as it is well shaped for him to hold (I'm doing baby-led weaning). It's far better than normal broccoli, because my baby squeezes normal broccoli florets in such a way as to cause an incredible shower of those little end bits onto the floor without managing to eat too much of it. Somehow, he gets the tenderstem in his mouth more easily.

The recipes look fine, though nothing particularly revolutionary. I really like tenderstem cut up into small pieces and sauteed in a pan with ground pork, fresh fennel, fennel seeds, chilli flakes and some cut up tomatoes and combined with pasta (orrechiette or other bit-sized pasta).

We have just eaten Tenderstem for dinner tonight. I served it as a vegetable with barbeque chicken and some chips. My son is a bit of a "vegetable dodger", so I was curious to see what he would make of this long stemmed broccoli. I am pleased to report he ate every bit of it up and without making any negative comments whatsoever. Which is nothing short of miraculous. I think its because it is really tender and quite sweet tasting. Thumbs up from us!

Aethelfleda Wed 02-Oct-13 18:51:46

Tenderstem is very tasty... But best lightly cooked, so I usually would have it steamed on the side or briefly stirfried. Long cooking would wreck it! Like the sound of the soy recipe though, might have to try that out...

DoubleMum Wed 02-Oct-13 17:16:10

I love Tenderstem and it is absolutely at it's best roasted for just long enough to still have a bit of crunch, with salt flakes over it and some grated cheese.

elizaco Wed 02-Oct-13 15:48:05

Only recently started buying this type of broccoli, but I do like it if cooked properly - don't like undercooked stalks!! Enjoy it best as part of a stir-fry, or as an accompaniment to roast dinner - nothing fancy!

DifferentNow Wed 02-Oct-13 15:25:33

I like the look of the bubble and squeak. Not really sure about putting it on a pizza though?

I've eaten it a few times in the past but it wouldn't be my first choice for veg.

xxxkadzxxx Tue 01-Oct-13 22:19:43

Before today i had never heard of it! I feel i am missing out though so it is now on my shopping list and will be in my fridge by the end of the week! I will then experiment and try out some of the unique, delicious looking recipes!

yvonne14 Tue 01-Oct-13 16:08:53

we love tenderstem as i find although it can be more expensive i use it in stirfrys boiled and its great in cheese and broccoli bake my grandchildren eat it this way

CharliesMouse Tue 01-Oct-13 14:38:51

The only way I'd stand a chance of getting my daughter to eat broccoli of ANY kind is in the Tenderstem® and chorizo pizza recipe. (She thinks the stem is the worst part of broccoli and, although I know Tenderstem is delicious - it's almost asparagus-like, she would take a lot of convincing.)

Son, on the other hand LOVES broccoli so he would probably enjoy ALL the recipes.

TheYamiOfYawn Tue 01-Oct-13 14:37:45

I love tenderstem, but I thought that the recipes were a little bit dull, and that actually, tenderstem is so tasty (and expensive) that it seems a bit of a waste to use it as an ingredient rather than as a star vegetable. Having said that, the bubble and squeak looks nice, so I might try that. I agree that the whole tone of the marketing was a bit patronising. Also, don't plate up your food? In my family, dishes are washed by hand and space is scarce - serving dishes are a bigger waste of time.

daisydaisy75 Tue 01-Oct-13 07:43:19

Receipes look very tasty and beautiful. I will try pizza and and eat it all by meself. Any greens are good for everyone, so price should not be a matter. I will definitely buy Tenderstem and use it in my cooking on daily basis. Easy to cook and extremaly healthy.

daisybeebee Mon 30-Sep-13 23:43:55

We love Tenderstem and having looked at your recipes see that I make a very similar version of your chicken pot pie. I also use it in stir fry, roast veg, quiche, in Lamb curry and steamed with traditional meat/ fish and veg. It's delicious, quick to cook and the kids love it.

margf Mon 30-Sep-13 18:08:25

The children love Tenderstem with a traditional Roast dinner, would buy more of it and use more often if it wasn't so expensive.

gazzalw Sun 29-Sep-13 09:12:25

We love Tenderstem broccoli in this house but it's a bit expensive as a main veggie for a family of four - on a regular basis anyway. It's one of the few 'common denominator' vegetables in our household and so we reserve it for 'treats' so it retains its appeal ;-)

DD and DW eat it raw they love it so much!

The recipes look delicious and worth a try - we are getting a bit stuck in a rut with good food at the moment.

SIL makes a lovely pasta dish with anchovies and Tenderstem - simple for effective in the most scrummy way - and the children all love it too :-)

Jux Sun 29-Sep-13 00:30:35

It is expensive, isn't it? That's the drawback, and why we don't have it often.

We had roasted veg this evening with crumbled feta. Peppers, tomatoes, asparagus, beans, sweet potato, baby corn, and (ordinary) broccoli. Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar, lots of fresh basil. Oven for 20mins to half an hour.

louisryan Sat 28-Sep-13 22:31:02

I love tender stem, but it is a bit pricey. I love broccoli and cheddar soup, just right for a winter tea with warm bread

poachedeggs Sat 28-Sep-13 21:23:13

I've had Tenderstem in the past and quite liked it but I happily eat the stems of ordinary broccoli, I always have! I wouldn't pay extra for it for this reason.

The recipes looked ace, things like frittata and bubble and squeak are really attractive from a lazy mare's convenience and speed perspective. I also feel inspired to top pizza with broccoli now.

I was not impressed with the tips. Offer a range of dishes and ingredients to your family? This WILL NOT save me time, I can assure you. It will lead to two small children squabbling over the cheese because that's the only item they really want, while DH and I glower at one another over a wilting salad. Not Going To Happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now