Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Tell Tenderstem® what you think of their recipes and add your own - £250 voucher prize draw NOW CLOSED

(158 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Sep-13 09:57:25

The team at Tenderstem® have asked us to find out what Mumsnetters think of their latest collection of family-friendly, time-saving recipes.

In case you don't know it (yet) Tenderstem® is a long-stemmed broccoli – and tender from floret to stem so the whole vegetable can be eaten.

Here's what the team at Tenderstem® have to say, "Tenderstem® is a wonder vegetable for family cooking as, not only is it ready to eat after just 3 minutes of steaming, it is packed full of nutrients and leaves no costly waste behind making it one of the most versatile vegetables around."

They go on to say, "we know from first-hand experience how challenging it can be to keep the whole family happy and healthy when we're all so busy, which is what has inspired us to create our latest collection of recipes. With prepare-ahead dishes, to those mild in flavour, and adaptable to please a range of tastes and all quick and simple to prepare, Tenderstem® has it covered!"

They also have teamed up with family food expert and author Fiona Faulkner to give you these top ten tips to save time and money in the kitchen.

Please have a look through Tenderstem®'s specially designed Facebook album for Mumsnetters here, you could even 'like' your favourite recipe grin. Then come back to this thread and let us know what you think.

They'd also love to know whether you already cook with Tenderstem®, or whether it has yet to make it into your fridge. If you have cooked with it before, tell us what you loved about it! Feel free to share any other recipes from your repertoire which use Tenderstem®. Or any tips you have on how to prepare it/ use it in established recipes.

Everyone who joins in with the discussion on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £250 voucher for House of Fraser.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Mon 23-Sep-13 19:47:45

We've had tenderstem broccoli before, but only when it's on offer and I'm feeling lazy. We eat a lot of 'normal' broccoli. Generally I just cook it as a plain vegetable accompaniment, or include it in stir fried vegetables. I just chop up most of the stem very thinly. Tenderstem isn't really an economical choice for us.

I like the idea of putting broccoli on pizza. We live pizza and hadn't thought of that.
I've also never put broccoli in a fish pie - I tend to stick to spinach or peas. I'm going to give it a go next time though.

Some nice recipe ideas, but I don't see much that would make me use tenderstem instead of the normal broccoli to be honest.

littleoaktree Mon 23-Sep-13 19:52:32

I agree with the other comments on the advertising points.

I buy and use broccoli in varying types as it's one of the dc's favourite veg - ordinary, sprouting and purple sprouting. I'm not sure I have ever bought or noticed a trademarked 'tenderstem' broccoli.

I'm not very impressed with the recipes, all pretty straightforward and ordinary and no need for the 'tenderstem' to make them. In fact most would obscure the tender flavour of sprouting broccoli.

I love tenderstem, we eat it a lot, usually as a side dish or in stir drys. I do like the look of the recipes, but the timings are a joke. The frittata says 15 minutes, if you read the recipe it's clearly going to take about half an hour.

As for the Busy Mum's cooking for Hungry Dad's it's put me right off if that's their attitude. I'm off to buy purple sprouting instead...

I like Tenderstem, either in stir fries or with pasta. It's also nice used in a bake with potatoes and melty cheese such as brie or camembert, or on a tart, ditto. Would have liked to see more veggie recipes.

SleeplessInBedfordshire Mon 23-Sep-13 20:03:26

We use tenderstem broccoli a lot, but only as a side dish. I found it good for baby-led weaning when DS was about 6 months because it was easy for him to hold and chew on. I either steam or boil it.

sarahbanshee Mon 23-Sep-13 20:33:29

Made a lovely pasta dish the other day with sausage, tenderstem, pesto and chilli - blanch the tenderstem, skin the sausages and cook the sausage meat in a frying pan until it's brown, add the tenderstem and fry for a minute or two, add a spoonful of pesto and a sprinkle of dried chilli, cook for another minute and then toss with cooked pasta and a couple of spoonfuls of the pasta water to emulsify. Was v quick and v delicious. I will add mushrooms with the sausage next time for more veg.

DoctorGilbertson Mon 23-Sep-13 20:33:49

I buy cheap frozen broccoli and add it to things like rice or pasta and cheese where it mushes down and the kids will eat it. Having just checked tenderstem broccoli on a couple of supermarket websites I see that that reason that I have never bought it is that it is a bit out of my price range.

And I think it is a hybrid not GM. Tesco and Sainbury's don't sell GM do they? but you can buy this broccoli in either (might be wrong)

weebarra Mon 23-Sep-13 20:37:09

Like tenderstem when it's on offer, can be expensive otherwise.
I often use it in a stir fry with beef strips, garlic and noodles, with a marinade of ginger, garlic, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and ketchup.
DH can make it too, so not just for busy mum's [sic].

MissPlumBroughtALadder Mon 23-Sep-13 20:47:58

Could you confirm that Tenderstem was created by Monsanto and is grown from sterile seeds 'owned' by a Monsanto subsidiary?

CheeryCherry Mon 23-Sep-13 21:32:30

Busy mums? Are dads not busy too? Do they never cook? Why do advertisers still do this??

What are there no vegetarian recipes or alternative ingredients? It would be very simple to add a veggie option, ie quorn, mushrooms, feta cheese etc.

I buy tenderstem on occasion when I'm doing a special occasion meal like Christmas. Or if it's on offer, its too expensive compared to the usual veg and the packs are too small to share between 5 of us - we like large helpings of veg. It is very nice and looks lovely as a simple side dish.

I too hadn't realised it was a brand name, that's odd. Its put me off a bit now, and I'm not sure why...?

manfalou Mon 23-Sep-13 21:51:27

Never heard of tenderstem, let alone used it.Also Never realised you could get 'branded' veggies!

However I do like the recipes, particularly the bubble n squeak!

Personally Id put it in a stir dry with some beef and noodles. Make a sauce with: 1-2tbsp soy sauce, 2 tsp cornflour, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp sugar and 3 very finely chopped cloves of garlic.

BlackberrySeason Mon 23-Sep-13 22:04:56

I cook with it - like it!

yegodsandlittlefishes Mon 23-Sep-13 22:09:09

Tenderstem®, potato, ham and cheddar frittata

I never add salt to water to cook potatoes or eggs (you suggest adding it to both - as well as ham which can also be very salty) it is totally unnecessary and very unhealthy.
Should you not put a non-stick frying pan under the grill?

Other than that, it's good food but simple enough to not really need a recipe. I'd add onions and a lot of other types of vegetables. (Though a traditional frittata should only have potatoes).

Hopezibah Mon 23-Sep-13 22:23:24

We do already use (and LOVE) tenderstem broccoli. The kids love it because they can pick it up and eat it all as a finger food - it was one of the first foods my baby girl really loved when she started baby-led weaning. Even now I think it is her fave vegetable!

I really like the look of that omelette/frittata style recipe and also what a fab idea to have it on pizza! that is sure to be a winner with the kids.

My own recipe that we use it a lot with is lemon chicken served with cous cous and tenderstem broccoli as the main veg we have with it.

aristocat Mon 23-Sep-13 22:27:12

I have seen Tenderstem but never actually bought it simply because of the price. My DD and myself love broccoli and we usually eat it as a side vegetable. Purple sprouting is delicious too (and easy to grow)

The recipes are OK but as others have said not exactly very dynamic, are they? Surely it would be nice in a Pasta Bake/ Stir Fry or a Hot chicken salad.

I never realised it was a brand name either?

kateandme Mon 23-Sep-13 22:27:16

i love brocoli.
i gree wth others who mentioned the cost of tendersteam is usually lots more and veg is already getting more expensive.it is delicious though and so when we have as a treat it very much enjoyed.
we usually have it for what is is brcoli on the side of other things but we try to cook it with something nice because its a treat!!
the recipes featured look good.and id love to try each of them if we got tendersteam more.

with other types of brocoli i have to admit to using the head but chopping the rest of the chunky stalks too!!its all delsih

Sarahlundismyhero Mon 23-Sep-13 22:36:10

I think these recipes look interesting and easy to use and /or adapt to fit in with our family, for me the most interesting one I will use going forward is the one on the pizza, as I am always looking at extra veggies I can put on a pizza.
Isn't tenderstem the same as PSB ( purple sprouting broccoli) just under a brandname? Either way it's lush and I'd buy it...

My fav way of doing PSB or tenderstem is gently steam it till only just tender and finish off on a hot griddle with olive oil! once nicely charred squeeze lemon juice over and some lemon zest- gorg ! Eat with rare juicy lamp chops grin

Sarahlundismyhero Mon 23-Sep-13 22:37:37

Lamb not lamp chops! wink

Recipes look nice but we have a veg box so just ordinary broccoli unless the sprouting sort is in season. Any you can eat the stem of that anyway. It sometimes needs peeling, but so does the sprouting sort, in my experience. Didn't look at the website and only a quick flick through the FB page, but would agree with the comments about mainly just wanting broc plain as is, and leaving off the sexist marketing.

SaltySeaBird Mon 23-Sep-13 23:32:44

Love tendersteam and so does my DD, it was one of her favourite finger foods as she was weaned. She would grip the stalk and suck all the bits off the end.

Tend to have it as a side dish but do make a tart with it too. Roll out a sheet if puff pastry and cover with lightly sautéed tendersteam, onion and crumble blue cheese over. Yum!

missorinoco Tue 24-Sep-13 00:36:19

Sorry, but I am slightly underwhelmed. My children all eat broccoli, I suspect they would like Tenderstem, but I can't say I have noticed it previously. We eat purple sprouting broccoli, I presume this is similar.

The recipes look nice enough, but it's just broccoli isn't it? I chop the broccoli fine and stir fry it, if I don't want it large.

Having said that, I am now intrigued enough to go and find some Tenderstem to buy it, so as a marketing ploy it has worked I guess.

ok so sterile seed means it can't reproduce itself so the farmers have to keep buying the seed over and over again rather than be able to seed from the first crop right? no farming expert here but whist this isn't gm it's still unethical production/sales though i'm not sure 'where' this product is being grown therefore what farmers/economies are caught up in this. any clues?

i think the point is that 'one' product being like this is ok (so long as the farmers involved know what they are getting into and aren't totally ripped off by having expensive seed costs repeatedly and then getting shafted on the price the product is bought at too) but the problem is that if this kind of 'branded' veg became popular and had more demand farmers all over the world would find them backed into this corner and unlike with say pharmaceuticals where patents run out and countries can make and people can then access massively cheaper generic versions they'd just sit on the seed and have a hold over the whole farming and food economy.

for that reason i really hope people will think twice about buying this kind of shit.

NB happy to be corrected/informed by someone who understands this industry and economy better than me. i'm trying to piece it together purely from logical deduction of what the problem is/could become rather than any real knowledge or research into this. would be good to know more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now