This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

If you could wave a magic wand and improve your banking experience, tell Barclays what your wish would be and you could win a £200 voucher NOW CLOSED

(195 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 09-Sep-13 09:58:39

As you know we have been working with Barclays and this week Barclays want to hear ideas from customers and non customers.

They say "we want customers to be at the heart of what we do, but we can only do this if we keep on listening to your thoughts and suggestions. That's why we've created Your Bank, a place where you can go to share whatever's on your mind about banking.

To celebrate the launch of Your Bank, this week we're asking the nation five key questions to help us get some answers on how we can make your banking better.

Before we put the questions to the nation, we also got 20 Mumsnetters together to have a think about how we can make everyday banking better for everyone - you can see what they had to say now".

View the Mumsnet Ideation session here

But they also want to make sure your voice is heard on all the other aspects of your banking, so once you've answered the questions (here) please also let us know (on this thread) if you could wave a magic wand, how you would improve your banking experience?

Everyone who adds a comment below will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £200 John Lewis voucher.

thanks and good luck
MNHQ
PS closing date for prize draw: 16 Sept at noon

Cut the banking charges. I go over my overdraft limit sometimes because I'm short of money. Then the charges make me even more short of money and more likely to go over the next month. It's a vicious circle and my accounts are in a mess because if it.

Also, please no more Indian call centres. It's beyond frustrating when the person on the other end of the line cannot understand what you're asking/telling them and you can't understand what they're saying in response. Sometimes I've had to give up completely because I'm getting nowhere.

FanjoForTheMammaries Mon 09-Sep-13 13:57:36

I would stop the tellers from offering you all sorts of extras when you are trying to carry out a transation.

i would also stop the cold calls offering you an "account review".

FanjoForTheMammaries Mon 09-Sep-13 13:58:11

I would also open more branches/do away with the silly restricted opening hours everywhere

MollyBerry Mon 09-Sep-13 14:17:07

I would do exactly what people ahve already said:
1. Get rid of card machines. A massive pain, the bank account I have where I just get a passcode on my phone is soooo much easier and it means I can transfer money. I live between places and don't always have my card reader with me.
2. I don't mind pressing bazillions of buttons on the phone IFFFF and a big if, when I get through the person actually understands what I'm saying.

dahville Mon 09-Sep-13 14:22:24

There are two things I miss about banking in the UK - being able to deposit cheques through a cash machine and being able to do banking after 5! It's hard to get into a branch during their current working hours and I would like more convenience from my bank.

BigGapMum Mon 09-Sep-13 14:40:47

A mobile bank to provide a banking service in small towns and rural areas. Not everyone lives in a town with a bank.
Nat West do one in my town. It only stops for 45 minutes a week but its constantly busy in that time and really useful. It saves people having to travel to another town just to visit the bank.
Many people locally have changed their accounts to NatWest just for this reason.

Ilovemyrabbits Mon 09-Sep-13 14:47:21

I hate the centralisation of banking services which drive you down the telephone banking route for which you need passwords. Lose your password and you are trawling around trying to find help to recover it before you can even start dealing with the transaction you were intending to sort out in the first place! I am getting older and find remembering the multitudinous passwords I need for day to day living onerous. That makes any dealings with the bank fraught with difficulties. I hate the little passkey gizmo that the bank uses to sort out security numbers. I would love to have something more immediate and I'd like to be able to go into a branch and speak to a human being sometimes. Especially if I am having difficulties.

Banking is no fun for kids and it should be more accessible by them. My daughter is 12 and hates going into the bank with me. Probably my experiences have rubbed off on her and she sees banks as unhelpful, over-automated and not enjoyable places to go. We all know they're no picnic in the park, but surely they should be more welcoming to both adults and kids alike.

I would like:

My local Barclays to be open on Saturdays and maybe 1 evening a week.
Better children's banking.
To not have to use the little calculator machines to set up new payments, etc.
To be able to pay money into my bank before a certain time to cover cheques that have gone out that day.

I would also like banks in general to support small businesses a bit better. I'm fed up with them all saying how they have loaned money to x amount of businesses but whenever you ask any small business owners, more often then not, they have been declined any help.

LaRegina Mon 09-Sep-13 14:55:32

I would like to go back 20 years and have a bank with a branch which is my branch, where I can phone directly to speak to people in that branch.

MrsWickens Mon 09-Sep-13 15:42:29

Don't take charges directly from my account. Don't prioritise your charges over my regular direct debits or standing orders so they get returned and you charge me more. Send me a bill so I can pay over the counter when I have the money.

Ensure that when you say something will be actioned it is. I'm fed up of being charged because you haven't done what you said you would.

Saturday opening.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 09-Sep-13 15:44:44

I'm very happy with my bank generally, but I always hate having to make a deposit. Why, oh why, HSBC, do you insist upon me filling in a paying in slip even when I'm paying in at a machine? It's such a pain, and my other bank doesn't need it, just the details from my card are sufficient. They're doing OK otherwise, just the damned paying in slips filled in with a tethered pan on those narrow desks that are slightly too high for me angry

Oh yes, and my nearest branch doesn't open on Saturdays. How stubbornly unwilling to accept change and modern life can you get?

NomDeClavier Mon 09-Sep-13 15:57:03

Personal banking with people who actually have a clue about personal finance instead of impersonal banking trying to sell you something.

NomDeClavier Mon 09-Sep-13 15:59:18

Ooooh and multi-currency banking, even if it's just dollars and euros, with easy international transfers. That would my life so much easier and my Belgian bank could do it without following a tortuous process but British banks either can't or make it really complex and charge a fortune.

JakeBullet Mon 09-Sep-13 16:11:33

I'd like a £5 emergency overdraft for basic account holders so that if your Direct Debit takes you into the red by 64p the bank does not charge you £10. Not Barclays btw.....was annoying though.

lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 09-Sep-13 16:13:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Artus Mon 09-Sep-13 16:14:02

I'd like to be able to pay a cheque in at an ATm without going to the bank.

And I don't know if this survey includes Barclaycard but I hate it that although both my husband and I have Barclaycards on the same joint account you will only speak to him if there is an issue with the account. You are happy to take my money!

CMOTDibbler Mon 09-Sep-13 16:15:23

I'd like to actually be able to open an account with ds who is 7 and desperate to have a 'bank account'. Without making an appointment 3 weeks in advance.

He'd like an account that could grow with him - not a savings account, but one (even if I had to have an account linked with it) that he could pay little bits into, I could dd money into as pocket money, and he could take money out from for holiday money etc.

What I like about my bank is Saturday opening, efficient cheque paying in at the machine, and they are very nice in branch. But it can be hard to find specific info like 'how much can I transfer online' on their website

MaddAddam Mon 09-Sep-13 16:28:11

I would like to be able to have just one bank, and a few accounts, not have to open a different ISA in a different bank or building society to get any interest rate on savings. I'd like to just have a current account, a savings account with a decent interest rate, and not all the piffling around that you have to do because banks want to reward newcomers and don't reward people who just stick with the same old accounts.

slug Mon 09-Sep-13 16:49:38

The card reader is an absolute pain in the arse. I don't accept the argument that it is any more secure than other methods. I find I deal with international payments, new payments etc out of my personal account, held at a different bank rather than my joint account, held at Barclays precisely because I can set things up easily and quickly and whenever I need to.

I would also like Barclays to join the 21st century. Your staff and your programmers need a few lessons in the real world i.e. that Ms does not necessarily mean you are divorced. That women have their own names which they may or may not change on marriage. That getting married does not automatically turn women into appendages of their husbands and that it is quite possible for a woman to have the title Dr.

choccyp1g Mon 09-Sep-13 16:55:38

I'd like banks to stop luring you in with special offers and then downgrading the interest on savings changing the charges for overdrafts.

It's cheating, and I don't like it.

choccyp1g Mon 09-Sep-13 16:57:38

Oops, there should have been an "and" between savings and changing.

But you know what I mean, they keep changing the goalposts, and it is always in their favour.

Katisha Mon 09-Sep-13 17:01:15

I would like Barclays to understand that I may keep my maiden name for some things like work, and use my married name for other things like family stuff and that this does not make me a fraudster or money launderer who has to be forced to change all accounts to one name. Especially when they are still happy to take my pay cheque in my maiden name but only allow me to access it under my married name. Barclays I have banked with you for decades. - you might realise I am not two different people. However your computer cannot understand what a human employee with some common sense might...

LindySfarne Mon 09-Sep-13 17:10:25

I'd like to be offered a piece of paper to write down the amount of cash I'm withdrawing over the counter. I feel a bit vulnerable asking for several hundred, not knowing who might be overhearing.

Or perhaps asked to key in the amount into the chip and pin I now have to use at the counter.

Also I've been v. Impressed with AA online savings because they tell you the rate of interest they're giving on your account when you log in. All other banks I've used have not volunteered it - you have to go ferreting around to find out, if you remember to check regularly, and then feel shock when you realise they've reduced it by two thirds.

And Barclaycard, I would like you to stop sending the monthly balance transfer rates, by both letter and email.
They are not part of your "ongoing commitment" to me, they are junk.
If I want to transfer a balance I will investigate.
Thank you.

DoItTooJulia Mon 09-Sep-13 17:22:07

More tellers please! Especially at lunchtime!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now