Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Share your cleaning pearls of wisdom with Mr Muscle and you could win a £250 John Lewis voucher. NOW CLOSED

(145 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 02-Sep-13 16:23:53

MNers have been testing the brand new Mr Muscle Touch-Up Cleaner. You can see what they thought of it here.

Here's what Mr Muscle say about the product: "Mr Muscle® Touch-Up Cleaner offers a fast and convenient solution to kill 99.99% of bacteria* and to clean the most frequently used surfaces in the home. The inventive new design makes it easy to clean surfaces and kill bacteria; simply push down on the pump to apply the formula onto a cleaning material such as a paper towel, cleaning cloth or sponge. Then, just wipe the surface clean."

As such, Mr Muscle would like to hear about Mumsnetters' top household cleaning tips and thoughts on alternative cleaning products.

So, what cleaning advice would you like to pass on to fellow MNers? Who takes responsibility for cleaning in your home? Do you have a secret to making taps shine like new? Or perhaps you have a fool-proof formula for streak free windows?

How do you/ your DP try to make cleaning more enjoyable/ less tiresome? Maybe you've developed an efficient time-saving routine? Do you take turns doing the most boring chores? Maybe you've even perfected some good tactics to avoid cleaning all together?

What features do you look for when buying a new cleaning product? Do you take into account how sustainable the product is?

Whatever your cleaning tips are, Mr Muscle would love to hear about them. Everyone who adds a comment to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £250 John Lewis voucher.

Please note your comments may be used (anonymously of course) by Mr Muscle in PR and marketing materials, their website and possibly elsewhere so please only comment if you're happy with this.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

(* When used as directed on the pack)

ILoveAFullFridge Wed 04-Sep-13 11:32:21

Sorry, Mr Muscle, but my tip is "A woman needs a Mr Muscle like a fish needs a bicycle."

I do virtually all my household cleaning with diluted liquid soap, vinegar, vodka, and the occasional drop of Miltons.

Nothing like an allergy to teach you that we really do not need most of the stuff in the household cleaning aisle.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Wed 04-Sep-13 11:44:26

Clean up as you go - wipe up spills immediately. (impossible to teach DH this one)
Teach your toddler how to use a dustpan and brush and pretend it's fun.
Encourage your toddler to help vacuum the stairs using the nozzle (they can progress to doing more as they grow). Get a Henry and talk to him (hard not to).
Try to stay on top of things and keep organised. Streamline your cleaning products.
Hide the bleach near the toilet so it's no hassle to clean it daily.

JustBecauseICan Wed 04-Sep-13 11:51:52

Hoover every day, especially those mingers with sticky laminate <shudder> floors. People with laminate/wood seem to think that carpets are dirtier but actually allergists have shown that unless you keep your laminate pristine they are far more likely to release dusty nasties into the air.

I am in Italy so have tiled floors and if I don't hoover and/or Swiffer every single day it is disgusting.

RedBushedT Wed 04-Sep-13 12:10:28

After you've had your shower, before you get out, spray your bathroom cleaner and scrub the shower enclosure down. then you can rinse the shower enclosure, and yourself, before getting out.

I use baby wipes for a quick tidy over on surfaces in the bathroom too. But don't ever use them on laminate flooring! The oils make the floor lethally slippery! wink

WowOoo Wed 04-Sep-13 12:10:30

I like to use lots of different things for cleaning, but I'll often make my own with bicarb or vinegar and just use hot water and a soapy flannel unless it's gone off food or toilet related!

I'm another who likes to clean up quickly.
I'll always try to encourage the children to clean up after themselves and do whatever they can to make less work for dh and I.

My mottos are :
If you can do it yourself, you do it. (put clothes away, help me load the washing machine etc for younger ones)
If you make the mess, you clean it. (so my 7 yr old who has spilt cereal has to try to sweep it)

**Some days I'm too tired to lecture my children or Dh. I can't remember my mottos either. So, I send them into the garden to let me get on with it my way!

ouryve Wed 04-Sep-13 12:11:31

Advice? Get rid of the kids. They're back at school, today and I'm finally managing to tackle the paper and shoe avalanche in the far corner without standing on anything plastic and sharp in the process. During the holidays, tidying up after them has been a bit like trying to get rid of the chocolate in Candy Crush Saga. You clear a bit of floor, turn to grab the Dyson, and when you turn back, the floor's been obliterated, again.

starfishmummy Wed 04-Sep-13 12:14:55

Not obsessive about cleaning here, but do make sure that I wiles up any spills as soon as possible - its usually much easier to do it straight away (before.it dries on) and reduces the chance of it being spread.

PaisleyPashmina Wed 04-Sep-13 12:28:16

To make cleaning more enjoyable, my family have a competition to see who can do the most jobs in a set time frame (usually 15 minutes/half an hour). The winner gets to choose what we have for dinner or what film/tv to watch.

Cleaning doesn't seem like as much of a chore as watching Star Wars for the 500th time does wink

Spirael Wed 04-Sep-13 12:33:50

Each weekend we make a list of all the jobs that need to be done, then each person chooses something off the list and works on that job. Since we all prefer and avoid different jobs, most things are done without complaint and you feel like what you're doing is better than what someone else has to do!

Elainey1609 Wed 04-Sep-13 12:49:30

I do the majority of housework
Put the music on and dance away in the comfort that no one is watching

Never leave the room without something in your hand
I use baby lotion to clean leather sofas
Put a touch of vinegar in my window cleaner - use newspapers to clean then
Use laptop screen cleaner on tv screen and mirrors

givemeaboost Wed 04-Sep-13 13:57:36

I try to make cleaning more enjoyable by doing it whilst listening to music, I have a routine of basic cleaning that happens everyday but only do extra cleaning when i notice something looks particularly dirty. I am a single parent so no one to share cleaning with although sometimes i can persuade the kids to help out- little jobs like hovering or loading the dishwasher/washing machine. I try and clean behind me as I do jobs eg cooking dinner, so that its not so much to do once ive finished the job im doing. If the kids make alot of food mess on the kitchen floor and its late in the day, i admit i usually leave it till the following morning, then then food has dried out so can be swept up without getting mushy food all over the broom! Thins like mopping the floor I try to limit to a few times a week otherwise id be doing it all day long! For taps I usually clean with antibac then leave to dry, when dry, buff with a tea towel. Windows I normally use washing up liquid and water, but window spray and a scour pad if its particularly dirty/greasy, i squidiee off and it never leaves smears. Using Vinegar and newspaper are also good for a streak free shine.
When looking for a cleaning product i try to go for the cheapest with the same properties as the expensive brand, often stuff that is on offer too, I never look at how sustainable the product is as from experience those sorts of products are usually out of my budget.

nextphase Wed 04-Sep-13 14:27:04

Have a few products that will do multipurpose cleaning, so you can always find wht you want, and not have a cupbaord stuffed full of different things.
Also helps you to know what your running out of!

BellaVida Wed 04-Sep-13 14:37:18

My top multi purpose cleaners are baby wipes- carpet spills, finger marks on doors, minor scuffs on walls, stickiness on the floor, great for damp dusting.

I was have some with me, at home or on holiday!

K8Middleton Wed 04-Sep-13 14:46:12

Listen to a really good radio programme while you clean. I like to listen to Weekend Woman's Hour or something from iPlayer. Then I don't get too bored and I know I have to get it all done in the hour but it's only an hour.

I migrate my sponges: new for washing up, then kitchen sponge when it starts to look a bit iffy, then after the kitchen it becomes the bathroom sponge before binning.

Clean the loo last thing at night so your cleaner has time to work.

Every so often sweep the children's bath toys into the bath and chuck in some Milton and leave for a couple of hours.

I also repurpose toothbrushes like pp. They are great for doing fiddly bits like tile grouting. I also like microfibre clothes for glass and surfaces.

But my best tip is to avoid the need for cleaning as much as possible by ventilating rooms to prevent mold; wiping down the shower when you get out to prevent water marks; painting kitchen and bathrooms with suitable paint to help prevent mold and stand up to a bi-annual wash down with sugar soap and water; replace sealant annually around sinks and baths; brighten up your grouting with a grouting pen because if it looks bright and new it looks cleaner for longer.

tanfastic Wed 04-Sep-13 15:38:13

Two words: wet wipes smile

redgate Wed 04-Sep-13 15:58:31

I have one of the hanging shoe holders, with lots of clear pockets in - on the back of my utility room door, keeps all my cleaning stuff tidy, easy to see, but out of lo's reach

starlight36 Wed 04-Sep-13 16:37:26

Little and often is the only way I can keep our place clean with two DC under 3. I try to clean up messes as soon as they happen as it is usually much easier to wipe away fresh stains than old dried in stains.

Iwaswatchingthat Wed 04-Sep-13 16:42:36

redgate
I like your tip - it is one I may borrow cos it does not involve cleaning, just cleaning prep which is the part I love!!! grin

flamingtoaster Wed 04-Sep-13 16:44:31

My tip for streakfree windows is to wait until after a rainstorm and go out and squeegee them!

I use vinegar and bicarbonate of soda as much as I can as the perfume in a lot of cleaning products gives me a headache.

I try to clear up as I go along so things are easier to do. I do most of the housework but DH hoovers at the weekend.

FreckledLeopard Wed 04-Sep-13 17:06:19

I do the majority of housework - our au pair and DD help too.

I learned a few tricks from 'How Clean Is Your Home' - in particular I always remove limescale by soaking kitchen roll in lemonade/tonic water (anything with citric acid in) and leaving it to soak the stain off.

Other than that, though, I use conventional sprays and cleaning products. I find things are cleaner and shinier than if I use a natural product.

MaxinePeakedistrict Wed 04-Sep-13 17:20:10

I am stupidly happy this week having finally found a product that leaves my windows smear-free, Flash Clean and Shine multi purpose cleaner.

Windows are just about my most detested housework job so I'm really pleased. Just washed them down with a few drops in some hot water then buffed them dry with a microfibre cloth.

Also love my steam mop for the kitchen floor - takes half the effort out of it.

NumTumDeDum Wed 04-Sep-13 17:32:54

I keep a cleaning kit upstairs which has the barhroom cleaners, glass cleaner for the mirrors and dusters for the bedrooms. Saves me lugging stuff upstairs whenever I need to clean and means I'm more likely to do it when I notice it rather than think, oh I'll get the stuff and then get sude tracked.

Tinlegs Wed 04-Sep-13 17:48:06

My top cleaning tip is don't buy Mr Muscle..marry him. Divide up all jobs equally and, as the children age, divide them again. Pretty soon you will be able to sit and drink coffee and take on a purely supervisory / quality control job.

We have assigned jobs / rooms so we know who is to blame for any crud, dust or whatever. I buy the wipes I can throw away so the dust leaves the house, as well.

We use newspaper and cider vinegar to clean windows. It's cheaper than glass cleaner and leaves no irritating streaks!

AFishWithoutABicycle Wed 04-Sep-13 18:22:28

I would really like you to make a product that's gentle for high chairs, children's toys and stuff. My dd gets rashes so I use baby wipes but I don't think they kill bacteria very well.
My top tip would be Lego in the dish washer. Comes out lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now