Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Tell Bassetts Soft & Chewy Vitamins about your favourite family activities – iPad Mini up for grabs! NOW CLOSED

(262 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 28-Aug-13 09:20:28

Bassetts Soft & Chewy Vitamins now offer a free soft play session for one child with each purchased pack of promotional Bassetts Soft & Chewy Vitamins. To celebrate this, Bassetts Soft & Chewy want to find out what Mumsnetters' favourite activities are to have fun as a family.

Here's what Bassetts Soft & Chewy have to say, "Mums have told us that they want their kids to be healthy and active so that they can enjoy school. That's why we decided to make mums' lives a little bit easier with free soft play sessions on every promotional pack of Bassetts Soft & Chewy Vitamins offering a free soft play session for one child. With nearly two hundred great soft play centres around the UK taking part in the promotion, children around the country can have fun at their local centre, while mum enjoys a hot cup of coffee. Bassetts Soft & Chewy Vitamins promotional packs can be found in the UK (including the Channel Islands and Isle of Man) in most major retailers."

You can find your nearest participating centre here.

So, what are your favourite family activities? Do you enjoy going to soft play sessions with your children? If so, why? If not, why not? If you have been to one which really stood out as being ace, what made it so good?

Everyone who enters their thoughts to this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win an iPad Mini. grin

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Please click here for the full Terms and Conditions.

dahville Wed 04-Sep-13 09:49:56

Thank you Bassetts & Mumsnet! That's lovely news for a Wednesday morning.

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 04-Sep-13 09:43:39

Thank you everyone for adding your thoughts. The thread is now closed, and am pleased to announce dahville as the winner of the prize draw!

cindersinsuburbia Wed 04-Sep-13 08:58:20

My children love soft play - it does a great job of getting them tired out!

Our favourite thing to do as a family is going away on day trips and holidays., just the change of scenery re-energises us and improves the childrens mood no end grin

kellestar Wed 04-Sep-13 07:30:08

We live being outdoors, DD is so active that any efforts to try and contain her in the house go badly. She has just started to throw and catch a ball successfully, at the moment we have to take a small ball with us everywhere, just in case she wants to play. DS is too small to play as such, he does love watching DD burn about or the leaves on the apple tree, clouds in the sky, that kind of thing really.

I take DD to a gymnastics class weekly, it has really helped her find her balance and learn some great skills while having fun and using up some of her endless energy.

We pay a membership to the club, who also have a brilliant soft play that we get reduced entry to. It was a real life saver in my early pregnancy as DD could burn off steam while I felt sick in the corner, then when DS arrived it was handy again to let DD have a play while I fed DS and could rest.

They have a dedicated under there's section separate to the older children's section. It means it is easier to see your little ones play and not so easy for the bigger ones to sneak in and take over. It has a good seating area for parent and a small cafe! The equipment is clean and in good condition.

We attend Go Banana's at Writhlington Sports Centre, Radstock.

ataraxia Wed 04-Sep-13 04:17:50

Soft play is great fun ( I used to love ball pits as a kid) but as an adult I have to say I'm concerned the equipment is unhygienic with so many kids using it each day. Jungle jims at Blackpool Tower is good but far too expensive for regular use. nice overall day out as a one-off though.

Fave family activity would be a National Trust property with big house and gardens, especially if they're having a free entry promotion on!

GaryBuseysTeeth Tue 03-Sep-13 23:21:42

Love soft play (the DC like it a bit too, I suppose), best softplays are ones where the other parents look after their children, although that's rare around here sad

In our household the favourite activity of the week is spinning around in a circle until dizzy & then laughing. It's usually something more messy...

Freemilk Tue 03-Sep-13 23:10:30

Favourite soft play is adventure island it is in tooting, like others I find them Ok occasionally but then the noise, lights, overpriced expensive coffee, rubbish food and other people's badly behaved children start annoying me.

Favourite activity would be going on holiday/going to the beach, love new things and new places, love the beach

maxmissie Tue 03-Sep-13 22:57:25

Favourite family activities - baking, geocaching, walking/exploring new places especially ruined castles, beaches and places where they can build dens!

The kids love soft play (they recently had a joint soft play party for their sixth and fourth birthdays) but as they are now older and at school we go less, mainly because DH and I don't want to spend our free time with the kids in soft play places! I do prefer going now then when they were younger though as now we can have tea and cake and don't actually have to crawl around the climbing frames etc.

Ones that the kids enjoy are Jungletastic and Pirate Play in Nottingham.

We like going out dog walking and picnicing. Ds is in full castle obsession at the moment too so we have done countless numbers if lovely EH events this summer.

He loved soft play as a toddler but less so now at 7. I think he would only go in now if with a group of friends.

flamingtoaster Tue 03-Sep-13 22:09:29

We never used soft play - we much preferred walking in the park (trying to identify flowers and insects we spotted), on the beach (even in winter), puddle jumping, playing ball games, baking, making junk models, etc. When the children were small we had a season ticket to the zoo for a few years and they really enjoyed that as there was always something very interesting to see. It was expensive but we really got our money's worth as they had an adventure playground etc.

fusspot66 Tue 03-Sep-13 22:08:56

There's s fantastic soft play and pedal cars place at
stowmarket leisure centre. We visit whenever I go to stay at my mum's. Otherwise we love to spend family time making pancakes on Sunday mornings.

mimitwo Tue 03-Sep-13 21:56:55

Favourite family activities are rockpooling and crabbing and walking along the South Downs way.

We do visit soft play centres as a family, at the moment all five of our children enjoy hem but fairly soon dd1 will be far too hormonal and moody sophisticated and mature for them. Good coffee is essential as are clean toilets and floors.

linoleum Tue 03-Sep-13 21:02:27

I hate soft play. But we love going for family bike rides!

givemeaboost Tue 03-Sep-13 20:33:00

So, what are your favourite family activities?
We try to do things that everyone is able to do as ages range from 3-10, we go to alot of fun days/fetes/fairs and enjoy a good look round a carboot. We look for things that are cheap or free or that i have vouchers for.

Do you enjoy going to soft play sessions with your children?
I don’t really enjoy it no, I find it quite boring unless i remember to take something to read.
If not, why not?
If it cost alot to get 3dc in, I feel obliged to stay for longer to get my moneys worth. I don’t like softplay centres that don’t stick to a strict wear-socks policy, I don’t like softplay where there isn’t enough seating for adults, I don’t like softplay centres that specify only food&drink bought there to be consumed, I don’t like softplay centres that get arsey about ball pitt balls going everywhere and constantly tell the kids off for getting them everywhere!

If you have been to one which really stood out as being ace, what made it so good?
Its one local to me and is far the best around for the younger dc, they are v relaxed there, serve homemade cakes, teas+coffees-let you run up a tab till the end if youre paying by card, don’t mind if you bring your own food and drinks. They are very relaxed about toy“mess” and don’t attempt to clear up till the end. They are very friendly and chatty and the admission is very reasonable (half of what some charge for an entry round here)

Ellellie Tue 03-Sep-13 20:11:01

We all really enjoying going to soft play. My 18 month old gets to run off some extra energy while we have a coffee and hopefully he'll sleep when he gets home so we can relax there too!

Neena28 Tue 03-Sep-13 19:34:20

Still love feeding the ducks together even though ds is 12 and dd is 8. It seems timeless and wonderful to them whenever we walk that way. Ds forgets he's supposed to be cool for a moment and dd looks up to him as he's a bit braver than she is to go closer. When the ducklings are there its even better.

Long may it continue.

Pipsy6712 Tue 03-Sep-13 18:52:35

Walking in the park with new bee backpack and reins. Touching all the walls on the way down the road and all the shiny parked cars!!

smokinaces Tue 03-Sep-13 16:31:42

Favourite family days are organised ones here, with lots of stimulation and open space and not much queuing and not too much interaction with other children - mainly as ds1 has asd. The cinema is a firm favourite here, we can have a wonderful time out the three of us, and often get lunch as well which can be hit and miss. If I could afford it we would go to the cinema almost every weekend!!

BoysWillGrow Tue 03-Sep-13 14:42:40

Our nearest participating play centre would be almost 30 miles away and I'm not driving at the moment.

Favourite activities are simple ones gardening the park, beach or a walk in the woods with the dog.

jojane Tue 03-Sep-13 14:37:19

Soft play needs lots of sofas, a locked gate/door to get put of the building, free magazines to read and cheap snacks and food.

Favourite family activity is a farm park and a picnic

Favourite family activity- walking to the top of a hill and then rolling alllllll the way down!

DS is only little, so right now the best activities are anything where we can let him run around freely without having to worry. So soft play areas that have a devoted under 2/3 area, or outdoor areas which are safe for him to run around without having to constantly call him back. I want places where he is free to explore and enjoy.

bundle Tue 03-Sep-13 13:58:53

we like to stroll across the south Downs and go for a pint afterwards smile

AndHarry Mon 02-Sep-13 22:27:14

Will actually answer the questions now...

Favourite family activities are rock pooling and splash parks, as above.

Yes, I quite like going to soft play with DS, although it's harder now I have baby DD to hold rather than charge around with DS and make sure he's ok on the slides wink I don't like soft play centres that are dirty but luckily we have a nice one near us. It's brilliant for days when even the best outdoor clothing wouldn't stop a trip to the park from being miserable and has a great baby area for 0-2's. My favourite bit is the 'vacuum cleaner' that sucks up balls from the baby ball pond. DS would play with that for an hour at a time if I let him.

Our local leisure centre also puts on lots of mininastics sessions for children under 5, which have soft play and gym equipment out for the children to play on.

AndHarry Mon 02-Sep-13 22:21:45

DS is 3 and his favourite activity this summer has been rock pooling. He wasn't too pleased when I actually caught a crab though; it was too wriggly and he wanted a whale grin He's talked about it all summer since.

Closer to home, his favourite activity has been going to the local water park. We're lucky to have 3 fairly close by and they're all free. The best one is double-fenced with high fences to prevent children escaping, with trees for shade, plenty of room for parents and picnic mats on the grass, an ice cream stand and warm water. It's made for very cheap days out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now