Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Tell The National Lottery what you’d do with a fantasy £20,000 - £250 voucher prize draw! NOW CLOSED

(464 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 08-Aug-13 10:20:32

You may have heard recently that The National Lottery's Lotto game is changing this autumn and is introducing a new Raffle where 50 players will win £20,000 in each draw. To celebrate this, The National Lottery have asked us to find out what Mumsnetters would do with (a fantasy) £20,000.

Here's what The National Lottery say: "As of 5th October, Lotto is changing, offering more ways to win more money. The prize for matching three numbers will be increased from £10 to £25, the jackpots will be bigger (£2.5million on Wednesday and £5million on Saturdays) and there's a new raffle where 50 players will win a guaranteed £20,000 each draw. Tickets for the new game go on sale on 3rd October and cost £2 per line. We would love to hear about how Mumsnetters would spend £20,000 if they were to win the raffle prize!"

So what would you do if you were to win £20,000? Would you go on a huge spending spree, or would you be more careful with your winnings and put it aside for a rainy day?

What have you always wanted to do, but have never managed to justify the cost of? Dine at a Michelin-starred restaurant? Buy a piece of designer jewellery? Maybe you'd splash it all on a round the world holiday? Or perhaps you'd save it to make life easier for you and your DCs if they decide to go to university? Or would you take the opportunity to clear (some) debts or pay off a chunk of the mortgage?

Whatever it is, The National Lottery would love to hear about it.

Everyone who shares their thoughts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £250 Love2Shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 19-Aug-13 09:22:13

Hi everyone, thanks for entering your thoughts to the thread. Congratulations to brightermornings who's won the prize draw! We'll be in touch shortly.

orangina Mon 19-Aug-13 00:40:23

I would buy a fabulous piano. And hopefully have enough left over for a winter holiday for the family.....

(dreams)

mahalo Mon 19-Aug-13 00:20:11

I would donated half of the money to Young Minds - a mental health charity supporting young people with mental health issues. I have experienced my own mental health issues and am always looking for ways to fundraise to support charities that support young people and their families with their mental health.
The other half of the money I would use to support my own children in maintaining good mental and physical health. Rainy day walking clothes and boots, books and games and maybe even a ski holiday - fresh mountain air and snow angels...

awaywiththepixies Sun 18-Aug-13 23:54:42

Book a trip for my Dad to see the cricket somewhere hot and for my Mum to go away with her friends to stay in the Hunting Tower at Chatsworth.

eteo Sun 18-Aug-13 23:53:15

I love to go for holiday and buy lot of presents for my children.

BrevilleTron Sun 18-Aug-13 20:58:07

Half in an account for DD and remainder split between me and DH
I'd give mine to my sister cos I love her very much

Ooh 20 grand! smile

I would be soo happy!

- buy myself a car and the year's insurance (new driver)
- get my front and back gardens sorted out so they are extremely low maintenance,
- build my DS who has autism a sensory dark den in the garden (no room inside our little rented house),
- go on a holiday - DS quite fancies Italy and I can't say I'd argue
- buy a dishwasher
- buy a new oven that you can fit a regular sized oven tray in
- get my bedroom completely redecorated including new bed and wardrobes
- decorate living room.

I reckon that would cover it! grin

AnneTwacky Sun 18-Aug-13 19:55:29

A nice new car and redecorate the house.

heartmoonshadow Sun 18-Aug-13 19:08:06

I would build a bedroom for our little girl now rather than later as she is sharing with her big brother until we have saved up!

Barbabeau Sun 18-Aug-13 11:46:57

Replacing our vintage kitchen and putting down wood floors. Leftover cash would go against the mortgage.

babySophieRose Sun 18-Aug-13 11:06:59

Save it for my LO university

johnnyDrivingaShinyCar Sat 17-Aug-13 23:23:00

Well after my Rav4 test drive, I think I'd buy a Rav4 especially as my actual car seems so awful in comparison now sad

Theimpossiblegirl Sat 17-Aug-13 23:13:31

I would save £5000 for a rainy day and spend the rest on giving the house a revamp, a holiday and treats. £20,000 would go a long way if we were careful.

Doubtfuldaphne Sat 17-Aug-13 22:32:23

I would put some money in to each child's account, then go straight to town for a pair of very shiny and completely unpractical shoes.
All debts would be cleared and I would take my children straight back to the holiday park we have just come back from! My poor dd who is two, doesnt understand that the holiday's over and wakes me up every morning since, wearing her rubber ring and armbands ready for the early morning swim!

yoniwherethesundontshine Sat 17-Aug-13 21:59:37

try and use it to invest in stuff that will keep yielding, I don't know much about camping for instance but probably need to start as holidays are getting out of reach now, so I would invest in the best camping beds, tents roof rack, luggage thing for on top of the car, stoves, so we could go camping even though we are not really campers, or perhaps get an old VW camper and spruce her up, again so we could go away for years to come. I would also invest in a few pieces of real art.

A real painting on a wall brings to my mind the whole house to life. I would also buy for investment and inheritance purposes.

I would put money away for lots of holiday things for my DD's to try, like a weeks tennis camp, swimming, drama, so they could have a taste of lots of different things and have a few fun weeks.

I would give my dad a few bob, probably for a holiday too and a few things that need doing in his flat.

Finally if there was any left over after the good stuff....I would fix our sink, the knob keeps coming off when you turn it on, so I would replace the sink and get a flash tap.

oh yes and get a personal trainer in for a few months until i qas 9stone again

AnneElliott Sat 17-Aug-13 21:03:28

I would put some of it towards a holiday in Disneyland and the rest towards the extension.

MrsHarford Sat 17-Aug-13 20:59:34

oooo ..... dream kitchen granite worktops and all :-)

SarahAndFuck Sat 17-Aug-13 19:54:49

Get the back garden sorted out a bit.

Buy a caravan.

Take DS to visit his cousins in Australia (but not in the caravan).

Donation to Bliss to fund a midwife to help premature babies and their families.

Wheresthecoffee Sat 17-Aug-13 18:49:42

A camper van and clear the debts!

Lily311 Fri 16-Aug-13 18:43:28

Set up a reusable nappy business. I'm passionate and where I live currently there is a huge gap (abroad).

iwantavuvezela Fri 16-Aug-13 16:34:19

As my family live abroad I would use the money to pay for a family vacation, for both my husbands parents, my mum, andvall our siblings andvthere children. I would hire a big house or villa somewhere in Europe, have that and all food and entertainment paid for. As we don't see our family much (perhaps every two years), this would be the best way for me to spend the money.

DumSpiroSpero Fri 16-Aug-13 16:28:27

Pay off debts, then it would be a toss up between upgrading the family car or putting it away for a dream holiday for my 40th in a couple of years.

AnneEyhtMeyer Fri 16-Aug-13 09:38:10

I would:

- replace our hideous bathroom and en-suite

- make an overpayment to the mortgage

- pay for a course I want to do but have been putting off due to cost

- take the family away for a fun trip somewhere exciting - maybe Lapland

- take DD to Build-a-Bear and finally let her buy some clothes for her bunny

PrincessYoni Fri 16-Aug-13 09:26:34

Firstly, I would list and, then arrange for al the outstanding work on our house to be done.

House looking lovely, we would then go on our first overseas holiday in 7 years and DD's first ever. I would take us somewhere sunny but not too hot with lots of things to do and explore.

I would then put the house on the market.

With the remaining money, I would make a donation to my local food bank as 11,000 children live in poverty in my area.

filimou Fri 16-Aug-13 09:05:58

I really miss the family I have in Australia but cant really travel there with my DS for a few years, so, would pay for them to come here (thay are also dying to come over and see everyone).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now