This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Tell The National Lottery what you’d do with a fantasy £20,000 - £250 voucher prize draw! NOW CLOSED

(464 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 08-Aug-13 10:20:32

You may have heard recently that The National Lottery's Lotto game is changing this autumn and is introducing a new Raffle where 50 players will win £20,000 in each draw. To celebrate this, The National Lottery have asked us to find out what Mumsnetters would do with (a fantasy) £20,000.

Here's what The National Lottery say: "As of 5th October, Lotto is changing, offering more ways to win more money. The prize for matching three numbers will be increased from £10 to £25, the jackpots will be bigger (£2.5million on Wednesday and £5million on Saturdays) and there's a new raffle where 50 players will win a guaranteed £20,000 each draw. Tickets for the new game go on sale on 3rd October and cost £2 per line. We would love to hear about how Mumsnetters would spend £20,000 if they were to win the raffle prize!"

So what would you do if you were to win £20,000? Would you go on a huge spending spree, or would you be more careful with your winnings and put it aside for a rainy day?

What have you always wanted to do, but have never managed to justify the cost of? Dine at a Michelin-starred restaurant? Buy a piece of designer jewellery? Maybe you'd splash it all on a round the world holiday? Or perhaps you'd save it to make life easier for you and your DCs if they decide to go to university? Or would you take the opportunity to clear (some) debts or pay off a chunk of the mortgage?

Whatever it is, The National Lottery would love to hear about it.

Everyone who shares their thoughts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £250 Love2Shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

popelloucla Thu 08-Aug-13 14:27:46

It would probably go on holidays.
A skiing holiday with my sister and her family and SIL and her family. A trip to Disneyland Paris, and a weekend somewhere nice for me and DH.
Any left over I would spend on things the DC want, but we can't afford (ipads, laptops, new beds).

Spirael Thu 08-Aug-13 14:28:33

With £20k, we'd buy a bigger car (second hand, but newer than our current one), stash some into an account so we actually have some savings and use the rest to be able to afford to have a much wanted DC2! smile

hotair Thu 08-Aug-13 14:45:35

hmmmm
1. trip to nz to visit relatives and show dc's their heritage
2.New wardrobe
3. New laptop- this one is not a happy bunny
4. Pay off the carloans
5.New boiler!
6. An item of sparkly jewellery chosen by my dh for me

Tackle another 2 rooms in our ongoing project of a house. Wooden floor for the dining room, and a complete strip out and refit for the spare room - replastering, redo the bathroom, fitted wardrobes, better lighting...

(I think I may be over budget already, but I could carry on)

sharond101 Thu 08-Aug-13 14:54:35

I'd buy a baby. Not so much buy it but the treatment I need to have DC2 which the waiting list is horrendously long for.

xenzani Thu 08-Aug-13 15:13:01

I would clear my debt and either decorate my flat or use some as a deposit to rent a house somewhere so my girls could have a garden with what ever they wanted in it.

I would take them on holiday somewhere.

I would use some to give them a fab Christmas.

I would treat myself to a custom built, top of the range gaming computer!

There is so much I could do with 20k, I would feel rich and like all my birthday's and Christmas's had come at once.

Arisbottle Thu 08-Aug-13 15:18:28

I would like DH and I to take a month of work, pack a bag for each of us and the children, go to the airport and get a plain to wherever we fancy and keep travelling until the money runs out

aftereight Thu 08-Aug-13 15:19:57

10k off the mortgage
1k each in the DC's savings accounts
8k on a big family holiday

However, a £250 voucher would also be lovely!

TallyGrenshall Thu 08-Aug-13 15:20:29

Pay off debts, buy a car, take DS to Disney and then save the rest

dancemom Thu 08-Aug-13 15:20:33

Deposit on a house. That's my dream- to own a little home with a garden for dd and myself smile

I would be really boring and use it all to pay off a chunk of our mortgage!

Pay off car, rainy day account and about half in savings for new house.

Faverolles Thu 08-Aug-13 15:39:57

We live in an impossibly tiny house we have a quote to extend to give us a bigger kitchen/dining room plus a small area that dh and I could use as a bedroom (we are currently camping in the lounge to give our dc more space)
The quote for the extension is £20,000 including vat, so that is exactly where it would go grin

ouryve Thu 08-Aug-13 15:42:14

With that, we could afford to rent somewhere else while we replaced the kitchen and bathroom, replaced all the windows and got the house re-rendered.

Or we could accept that his house is a money pit and wouldn't gain as much in value as we had spent, put it on the market at a price to tempt and use the money to add to what we get for it as a deposit for somewhere bigger, newer and less high maintenance.

RunningGingerFreckleyThing Thu 08-Aug-13 15:42:35

£10,000 towards repaying our mortgage, £5,000 towards a bigger car as it's a bit of a squeeze in ours and £5,000 for new windows and rejigging the garden steps so that I don't need stilts to climb them.

Piffpaffpoff Thu 08-Aug-13 15:46:47

Sensible option...
- New (secondhand) car
- new carpets
- washing machine
- get the house painted

Not-so-sensible option
- blow the lot on a VW campervan

BumpyS Thu 08-Aug-13 15:55:35

i would start my own business

HannahLI Thu 08-Aug-13 15:59:40

I would love to do something fun but in reality we would love it for a deposit on a house! We would love our own space.

scripsi Thu 08-Aug-13 16:01:38

I would go self-employed and invest some of it for the DC.

iwillsleepagainsomeday Thu 08-Aug-13 16:03:02

I'd spent 2000 on a nice clothes shopping spree for myself as after 3dc my wardrobe has to be completely renewed. hmm

Another 3000 on the house as we need to redecorate all the bedrooms and would love to put double glazing in.

I would keep the rest for a rainy day.

thornrose Thu 08-Aug-13 16:03:22

Clear debts. Take my dd to Jamaica to meet her extended family. Buy myself gym membership or even better a personal trainer! Put the rest in savings for dd.

DiaryOfAWimpyMum Thu 08-Aug-13 16:06:18

I would buy

A full new wardrobe

Carpets for stair/something for upstairs loo and carpet for my bedroom

Cooker

Freezer

Car

Holiday abroad just me and DC

I would blow it fairly quickly

I would go to Paris for a fortnight, and dine in every single Michelin-starred restaurant (except for Senderens, which is crap). I would drink cocktails every night in my favourite bar, which I'm not going to name, as it would out me in RL.

If I had any change I would visit Chanel and actually buy something, instead of looking and dreaming.

TheFutureMrsB Thu 08-Aug-13 16:07:22

A car would be my first buy, nothing fancy just big enough for the six of us, then passports for the six of us, in one go, no faffing about getting one at a time! And then of course a holiday ... And the clothes for said holiday.

Probably do up the house and garden and too, most of it's done just buy a few nice bits to put in, oh, and carpet for the landing! Definitely carpet for the landing, thinking about it I possibly would go and get that first!

Isitme1 Thu 08-Aug-13 16:08:09

I would like to spend 5k on a deposit for a house as we are currently living with extendes family which is a nightmare when you've got 2 dc.
Would like to take my boys to disney land so 3k there.
I would like to spend 10k kitting out the new house.
I would put the rest away for a rainy day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now