Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Share your ideas for family adventures and getting your DCs active this summer with Route 125 and Toyota RAV4 - £200 voucher to be won NOW CLOSED

(87 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Jul-13 15:52:43

To celebrate National Geographic's 125th anniversary, Toyota have partnered with them to create Route 125. Here's what Toyota says about the initiative "Route 125 is the ultimate family guide to exciting activities, days out and places to explore all over the UK. Route 125 will follow National Geographic Emerging Explorer Dan Raven-Ellison and his 10 year-old son Seb as they travel the length of the UK in a Toyota RAV4 (after school and on weekends/holidays) completing 125 adventures throughout the year.
These range from delightful little discoveries to adrenalin pumping escapades, things you might never have thought of doing, far afield or close to home. There's an adventure for every family. Toyota is challenging families throughout the UK to get involved, get outdoors and get adventurous!"

With this in mind, the Route 125 team at Toyota would like to know what adventures Mumsnetters get up to with their DCs to encourage them to get outdoors. So please tell us your favourite places for family activities / adventures in your local area or even further afield, and inspire other MN families to get involved!
We'd also love you to upload any images to this thread you may have of your DCs getting involved in a family adventure or even just enjoying the outdoors.

Whatever your thoughts on adventures for the whole family, please share them on this thread. Everyone who adds their comments will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £200 Love2Shop voucher. Please note, your comments and photos may be used on Toyota's pages on MN and possibly elsewhere.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

PS you can find out more about the Route 125 and follow Dan and Seb on their adventures across the UK by reading their blog or with #Route125 on Twitter.

KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 12-Sep-13 09:35:30

Thanks for all your comments. The winner of the prize draw is...

stealthsquiggle

Congratulations, I'll PM you for your details.

manfalou Tue 03-Sep-13 21:07:34

We love to go to the local country parks, forests etc... here's our eldest on his Balance bike at Sherwood Forest just after seeing 'the big tree' ... he loves exploring the woodlands too and was on the lookout for elephants in the bushes and owls in the trees =D

hammyhunter Sat 27-Jul-13 12:24:09

we love exploring the Countryside!

hammyhunter Sat 27-Jul-13 12:15:09

We love splashing in muddy puddles!

hammyhunter Sat 27-Jul-13 12:14:16

We love going for walks around the Forest of Dean

Snog Sat 27-Jul-13 08:48:42

We are doing a staycation and will be cycling to get places and enjoy the delights of our home city!
Punting and swimming in the river are featuring big this summer.

bakingcakes Tue 23-Jul-13 12:47:43

DD is into mini beasts - armed with a Sherlock Holmes style magnifying glass, plastic tub and fishing net we go pond dipping and spy all the amazing creatures. Water boatmen , newts, leeches - you name it... Waiting in the weeds to be discovered. Hours of fun drawing them when we get home too. Snibston in Liecestershire is a nature park with lots of ponds perfect for little dippers!

lucifee Mon 22-Jul-13 16:46:59

We live right next to the woods so my 2 and 6 year olds both love to go for long walks, especially as they are owned by the MOD and the Sandhurst military academy train there so my boys always hunt for bullet casings and play spot the soldiers in camo gear hiding all over the place!

SarahAndFuck Mon 22-Jul-13 13:42:07

We've also got a couple of camping trips in mind.

And DS loves the beach. We've had some amazing days at Danes Dyke with just buckets and fishing nets to explore the rock pools with, or going on the beach at Bridlington, Scarborough or Cleethorpes and hunting for crabs, collecting unusual rocks and shells, building sandcastles or drawing things like hopscotch grids and race tracks in the firmer sand.

We usually attract a small group of children to join in.

SarahAndFuck Mon 22-Jul-13 13:38:34

This summer holidays we are having 'Park Fridays' with a group of friends we met when the boys were babies and are now all four years old.

The idea being that we meet at a local park, convenient for everyone to get to, with a picnic and bring a selection of activities to do, as well as just let the boys run around and enjoy the playground.

Everyone has to bring something along to do, even if it's just the idea for a game we can play without equipment (British Bulldogs etc), or something that's just fun to have along (like a tent).

So this first Friday we will be taking space hoppers and water guns. I think someone else said they might bring a tent and another said they would bring a set of boules.

And I've had DS working on a treasure hunt for next week, cutting out pictures of things to find in the park and sticking them onto sheets I can laminate, so the boys can tick them off as they find them.

It's a nice way to meet up with friends we don't get to see all the time normally, and it should mix things up a bit so there's something fun and different to do every week.

We're even planning to meet at a different part of the park every week to keep the location interesting.

We are lucky, we live opposite a wood so we can go on bear hunt walks and attend the special events for children days they have at the visitors centre, and we've checked what's on at the local museum etc as well.

MalcolmTuckerSwearsBy Sun 21-Jul-13 11:31:34

I'm a try anything type when in holiday seem frumpy and staid at home though grin

I amazed myself when I did this recently, and also tried archery, took up swimming lessons and am desperate to try wild camping

MalcolmTuckerSwearsBy Sun 21-Jul-13 11:29:28

Spontaneity is the key - last week it was too hot to sleep so at half ten at night we dug out DS's festival tent and my DD and I slept in the garden. Hd we pre-planned ut DD aged 16 woud have hated the idea, instead she loved it.

We've done a 'hat dip' box this year in which we've written all the things we want to do and we pick out one a day, we've included things like Woodland Trust walks, gardening etc, so we do get a bit of exercise as well as some more exotic things 'throw mummy in a glider and make her fly it' (cheers kids) hmm

grin

CheeryCherry Sat 20-Jul-13 22:54:09

We have a lot of amazing places here in Yorkshire. Ilkley moor is great for a ramble, as are Brimham Rocks. Paddling and picnics are fab at Knaresborough and Bolton Abbey. We also do a lot of walking around Hardcastle Craggs and Haworth moor.

pipsicles Sat 20-Jul-13 21:22:48

I've always enjoyed the outdoors, but, I'm ashamed to say, only if I'm in the right mood! Rainy day romps in the wood are not always up my street. However, having an extremely energetic 2yo DS, I have been needing to just get over myself!

Given the current beautiful weather, we recently took DS to the seaside and he hasn't stopped talking about it since! He LOVED running in and out of the water and is all about swimming. We live in Surrey, so a fair distance from the beach. I can usually placate him with a park with a paddling pool, but yesterday we made a amazing little discovery - a beach in the middle of the countryside! Frensham Great Pond has a gorgeous little beach and (obviously) fresh water 'sea', so almost better than the actual beach! I believe that there are some beautiful walks in the area also, but I had no chance of exploring those yesterday! Also, loads of parking, which is free during the week and £3 at weekends. I'm desperate to take DH, but now the summer holidays are here, I'm almost certain it will be packed!

Thevelveteenrabbit Sat 20-Jul-13 09:15:15

Hoping to get out and do some bike riding over the holidays as my twins have finally mastered two wheels. My eldest dd wants to do the Preston Guild Wheel - not sure if we will manage it all in 1 day but should get all the way round over the holidays.
We do a fair bit of walking in the Lake District - letting the girls lead the way/map read keeps them occupied - also cameras binoculars are good for rest stops! and plenty of snacks!

pussinwellyboots Sat 20-Jul-13 05:45:14

Forgot to post a photo so here's a family bike ride.

pussinwellyboots Sat 20-Jul-13 05:37:02

We love being outdoors as a family.and life certainly runs more smoothly if our boys age 3 and 5 get lots of fresh air! Having the right clothes is a most and their waterproof puddle suits help us to enjoy being outside.
we love national trust properties but also paddling on rivers and going to find various farm animals on walks. Now both boys are on pedal bikes this is also becoming a form favourite.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 19-Jul-13 21:49:55

We are going to do some geocaching this summer. There are quite a few within walking distance of the house, and some further afield that will require a longer day out and maybe a few bus journeys or cycling to get to them.

We've seen a few interesting moths and butterflies recently as well, so are going to do a bug spotters guide, with photos and diagrams etc, so our adventures looking for the geocaches will give us the opportunity to hopefully find some varieties we haven't seen before.

We're also off to Staithes in N Yorkshire for two weeks, so will spend a lot of our time exporing the shoreline looking for more fossils to add to our growing collection, and we have booked into a National Trust event with a local artist where we will be combing the beach and then making artwork with the things we find. Really looking forward to that one! We'll also do a b it of tramping across the moors this time; we're going for two weeks instead of one, so will have more time to explore the moors and not just the coast.

DD, 6 and DS2, 4 are now both stabiliser free on their bikes, so hoping to get a bit of cycling in with them as well.

DS1 is 11 and off to high school in September, so I'm hoping he will be a bit more free ranging this summer and entertain himself!

Off to check out the Route 25 website now smile

katslo77 Fri 19-Jul-13 18:13:17

We love anything outdoors so take every opportunity to get out and about! My kids love geocaching and the local forest has an orienteering course which gets a big thumbs up from them. Mine seem to like a good old fashioned scavenger hunt too - loads of fun, free and easy to create smile

lolancurly Fri 19-Jul-13 17:43:48

We love to go to Hastings old town; this is a lovely thrifty day out as in addition to the pebbly beach and sea, there are Fish and Chips for lunch! We love to scout round the junk shops and marvel at the weird and wonderful vintage stuff for sale. Best of all, we take a big bag of 2 pence coins and hit the arcades for an hour or so, seeing how many silly plastic toys we can win. You can shovel lots of 2 p's and still not spend much money! You can take a ride on the funicular railway that takes you up a cliff and look over the marvellous view and wander through George Street which is full of coffee shops and ice-cream parlours. And don't forget the crazy gold and pitch and putt! We have a tradition of going every News Years Day, and it certainly blows the cobwebs away. You can't beat throwing pebbles into the sea, with a bag of chips.

lucyhome07 Fri 19-Jul-13 14:03:04

Explore attractions your local area, rather than schlepping miles across the country, everyone getting stressed about the traffic, the fighting children, who's turn it is on the DS...

Your children just want your time and attention; they'll be as happy playing and picnicking near to home as they will at a theme park- as long as you get involved!

finleypop Fri 19-Jul-13 12:29:26

Our favourite day out to the Crocky Trail in Chester. So much fun without even knowing that you are getting a pretty good work out (until the day after lol!!)
Climbing, shaky bridges, spiders nets, tunnels & slides, amazing fun!

I like to make the most minimal of plans, just taking along a packed lunch/snacks, suitable clothing in case of the usual confused British weather, and let the children inspire the day's adventure.

It is often when you venture off the beaten track that the most fun is to be had - whether that involves impromptu den building in local woodland, or scavenging the seashore for tea time treats. There is nothing better than spending a day in the open air, then returning home with shellfish and tasty seaweeds to pop in a pan and enjoy for dinner smile

I always take spare clothes as activities can get messy, and the worst end to a day is a day that ends early due to clothes that are wet and children who are consequently miserable thanks to muddy puddles/stream splashing/rock pool misadventures.

Cherryoats Fri 19-Jul-13 07:47:50

We love the beach and surfing/ body boarding, dd sits on the body board and gets pulled smile We are national trust members and have lots of days out exploring mansions and gardens. We hike a lot and put dd in a carrier, or she walks with us, we always seem to find amazing things. Just find a place on the ordinance survey map and off we go!
We cycle routes around the country whether long or short and dd comes on the back and loves it!
Our family loves adventures and spend a lot of time, camping and just being outside smile

Geocashing is on the to do list!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now