This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED Talk to B&Q about the most unloved room in your home - £150 giftcard to be won

(160 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 04-Jul-13 09:31:56

As you may have seen already, we're working with B&Q, who so far have helped 20 MNers revamp the unloved rooms in their homes - check out the video of their fab revamps here. MNers have also been posting their before and after pics of rooms they've revamped here so do check out both of those threads for Mumsnetter room makeovers!

What B&Q would like now is to hear from as many MNers as possible...

Which is the most unloved room in your home and why? Is it a bathroom that's more shabby than chic? A garden that's more of a jungle? A living room that's past its best or a spare room that's just a dumping ground?

Everyone who shares their unloved room stories here will be entered into a prize draw to win a £150 B&Q giftcard.

Please note that any comments you post here may appear on the B&Q pages on Mumsnet and potentially elsewhere.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

The downstairs loo. It just seems to attract dust and it's all a bit sad and lonely.

sealight123 Thu 04-Jul-13 19:34:23

We are unfortunate to have 2 unloved rooms and a rather neglected garden.

We have the spare room- i.e the storage unit, the clean clothes sorting room, the holding bay for the attic, the i'm poorly and don't want to infect everyone else room

We have my (almost )2 year old daughters room- i.e the room who's wallpaper is that for a teenager, the peeling wallpaper room, the odd furniture room but.... still my daughters favourite room (hard not to be when it's full of toys and pictures she's drawn)

The garden- i.e the wilderness, the rubbish bins loading bay, the table but no chairs area, the last place you want to spend a warm day, the reason we close our curtains at the back of the house so much lol

daisychicken Thu 04-Jul-13 19:59:43

Hall, stairs and landing are our most unloved space.... we've managed to paint the walls white but other than that, it's a dreary space - we've got bare floorboards and bare stairs - just looks a mess. The front door desperately needs replacing - the wood keeps going mouldy however much I clean it with special cleaners or even bleach.

I'd love to have a hallway to be proud of when visitors come to the door!

ouryve Thu 04-Jul-13 20:04:12

Heh! There's DS1 doing what he does best on that page! DESTRUCTION!

Now the boys' room is sorted, our kitchen is looking incredibly unloved. The units are probably 25 years old. The doors are oak and are lovely, so we changed the door handles and worktops when we moved in to spruce it up. The bottoms of the units are warped and mouldy from damp, now and they really need chucking out. The tiled floor is cracked - if you walk along it barefoot, you take some of it with you. The floor to ceiling wall tiles are hideous. There's a patch we attempted to paint, but it looked dreadful, so didn't do any more.

LegoAcupuncture Thu 04-Jul-13 20:15:56

My upstairs bathroom is totally unloved.

It's an HA property and we are only the second residents to live in this house since it was built circa 1960. I think the last time the bathroom was decorated was the 90s.

Before we moved in the HA put a new bathroom in. They didnt remove the wallpaper, just the bits they needed for putting the really cheap white tiles. So we have half really old, green wallpaper and glossed ceilings. The gloss on the ceiling and woodwork is yellowed, you'd think a really heavy smoker had taken refuse in the bath.

I would love to give this room a makeover. It has a really odd placed cupboard which I would knock down, I'd strip the wallpaper and skim the walls. I'd strip the gloss and repaint. Lovely fresh colour on the wall. What I'd really like to do,MIT sounds naff, but I'd like to do wood panelling half way up the wall and stain the wood white. Then I'd pain the walls a dark blue, and have nautical themed pictures and some shells, starfish etc. looks good in my head, but then my head is a scary place at the best of times..

karron Thu 04-Jul-13 20:23:18

I have recently moved and love all the rooms in my new house, well as long as I'm ignoring the wallpaper that's coming off, the walls that need painting and the carpets that need replacing. I think the room that needs the most love putting into it is the small bedroom with its emulsioned hot pink walls and ceiling. Not sure my little boy's that pleased about it being his bedroom...

zzzexhaustedzzz Thu 04-Jul-13 20:27:47

my kitchen is horrible really. Its like a sauna on the ceiling (varnished wooden boards) and the floor is tatty, torn old vinyl.
The cupboard doors could do with painting / replacing handles.
Thinking paint for ceiling and the floor- who knows!!

carriedaway Thu 04-Jul-13 20:31:47

Our bedroom.... on the plus side there are lovely fitted wardrobes left by the previous owners 2 years ago but the rest of it is dire need of some TLC...the tired wallpaper which is not to our taste, a shabby carpet and a bit of a damp problem around the window does not a relaxing boudoir make! it is on the list but undoing all their shabby DIY, sorting the children's rooms, hall & landing, toilet, utility, garden, loft, etc etc, not to mention the arrival of DC2 have taken priority and of course lots of our pennies!

sweetiepie1979 Thu 04-Jul-13 21:06:56

The most unloved room in our house is the bathroom. It's tiny with black slate tiles don't know what previous owners were thinking. The slate has got loads of soap scum between them and on them and I've scrubbed for hours and can't get them clean the more I clean them the worse it looks! The toilet is crooked on the floor so there is a constant smell of poo particularly if the heat has been on in there. The walls have been painted blue cheap paint that is powdery and coming off. If you have a shower of bath the window has to be wide open as the steam makes the toilet situation worse. There is black mould round the bath. There is a massive gap between skirting board and wall which makes it filthy on the inside and the gloss paint on there was cheap too so it's gone all creamy. We moved in year and half ago and have been doing one room at a time as we can afford. Bathroom is still down the list sadly weep weep.

littlemonkeychops Thu 04-Jul-13 21:24:05

Our bedroom definitely. It's just so dull. Magnolia walls, beige carpets. Cheap wardrobes and nasty curtains. The rest of the house is nicely decorated so it's a shame. I'd love to have a warm inviting bedroom with a proper colour scheme etc.

Sigh...

RogueRebel Thu 04-Jul-13 21:41:58

My Kitchen, previous tenants we swapped with (who had it installed) dismantled most of the units and relocated them to their new home.
none of the worktops are attached to the units or the wall so they wobble when touched. They put wooden cladding on the walls but only as far as the appliances started. They've blocked up a door with this cladding also but again have only gone down half way. The sink leaks because the waste pipes don't actually meet up with the sink properly. the flooring is ripped linoleum over laminate flooring. And it smells from waste water leakage. I hate it. It's unbearable the whole thing needs gutting and replacing. I'm saving up at the moment.

RogueRebel Thu 04-Jul-13 21:42:09

My Kitchen, previous tenants we swapped with (who had it installed) dismantled most of the units and relocated them to their new home.
none of the worktops are attached to the units or the wall so they wobble when touched. They put wooden cladding on the walls but only as far as the appliances started. They've blocked up a door with this cladding also but again have only gone down half way. The sink leaks because the waste pipes don't actually meet up with the sink properly. the flooring is ripped linoleum over laminate flooring. And it smells from waste water leakage. I hate it. It's unbearable the whole thing needs gutting and replacing. I'm saving up at the moment.

YonicTheHedgehog Thu 04-Jul-13 21:42:53

Our front room is very unloved. I hate it in there. It has 2 sofa's and our dining table in there which takes up too much room. Nothing matches, it has a horrible threadbare swirly carpet and one working bulb out of 7.

I'd love it to have a real wood floor, a dining table that sits 4 but extends to seat 6, tan leather sofa's, white walls, a woodburner, floor to ceiling bookcases in the alcoves and a real Persian rug.

I'll put it in the 10 year plan!

ibbydibby Thu 04-Jul-13 21:50:47

Our kitchen. It has 2 outside walls, both of which are inadequately insulated, causing condensation in the cupboards that back onto the walls concerned. This means dampness, resulting in mould: we try not to keep food in the cupboards concerned, as the packaging (and sometimes the contents!) goes mouldy. The fronts of 2 of the drawers have fallen off: we have not tried to replace as we really need to replace the entire kitchen. But we can't do that until the kitchen is properly insulated. Kitchen smells damp, especially in winter. Floor is grim.

Gorja Thu 04-Jul-13 22:17:37

Ours has got to be the hallway/stairs.

As we never spend long there we never really notice it, but when you look it is terrible. Old magnolia painted wood chip that needs to come off and windows that need new curtains/blinds.

Unfortunately it just never gets to the top of the priority list so remains sadly neglected.... Although the kids have helped cheer it up with felt tips!!!

FrillyMilly Thu 04-Jul-13 22:19:14

My DDs room. We haven't changed it since we moved in and it's so neutral and cold. I would love to bring some love and warmth to it. It has stark white walls and cheap pale laminate. I would love to decorate it just for her. She's always asking me can she have a purple room.

Theimpossiblegirl Thu 04-Jul-13 22:23:27

My bedroom. It is always the last one to get tidied and can be a bit of a dumping ground. Ironing, suitcases, books, unwanted toys- I could really do with some cupboards but sloped ceilings make it hard to furnish. saving for a few fitted wardrobes but could take a while.

It's my bathroom, poor little room is subjected to much abuse by the children at bath time, has to house all the dirty laundry, has seen more than its fair share of the aftermath of a good night out or a bad curry and all I do is flick round with a cleaning cloth when I have a minute. Hardly the love that room deserves.

It has all manner of floating toy next to 4 different types of body wash, shampoo's and bubble bath. It is has seen potty training, new baby's and is currently having a teenager take his first shaky attempts at shaving.

It needs a new lick of paint, blinds and some nice storage so it knows how grateful we are for always being there to bare the brunt of of family life with its quiet dignity (and windows open blush)

androbbob Thu 04-Jul-13 23:01:08

Our most unloved room would be our bedroom shock.

Not a massive room - inherited cupboards from when we moved in 16 years ago (dark wood and half mirrored doors - back in fashion again!!). It has a bed, small drawer unit and a TV and that is it.

I t has been decorated but has plain neutral walls, plain cream carpet and suede effect curtains - its all so bland, beige and boring.

Needs to be a bit more boutique hotel-esque - starting with a new feature wall behind the bed, new lightshade and new curtains. That would make so much difference. I would also get a new door (and another three for the rest of the upstairs rooms!) and it would become a haven of tranquillity.......until DS wakes up.

TheDeadlyDonkey Thu 04-Jul-13 23:15:43

Oh God, my whole house is unloved!
The worst is my bedroom though. It hasn't been decorated since we moved in 15 years ago.
The walls are a vile yellow colour (what were we thinking back then?
For some reason, we decided that the backs of the doors should be painted blue.
Because the house was new, over the years, little circles of paint have dropped off the walls where there are nail heads in the plaster board.
Dh tried to cover some up with land rover posters hmm
We keep meaning to decorate, but somehow it always slips down the list of priorities.
It is a complete dumping ground too, with piles of paperwork, clothes waiting to be ebayed and children's clothes waiting to be put away.
It's horrible.
It will be decorated soon, as it's going to be ds2+3's room. DH and I are going to rough it downstairs so the dc can have more space.
One day I'll have a beautiful bedroom smile

jeebie1984 Fri 05-Jul-13 02:22:26

My bathroom has been a state for years... The wallpaper started peeling off about 10years ago, so we stripped it. The wall has been bare ever since. Four tiles fell off along with some plaster... Then another four... And another... They're still not there after a good 10years.
The bathroom suite is still the original mint green.
The ceiling used to have polystyrene tiles, until they started falling off.
The floor is covered in hideous green lino which doesn't fit properly.
Bathroom cabinet is something out of the 70s and the doors have stopped sliding properly. The shower is more like a dribble....
I'm sure there's more things I've missed haha

scripsi Fri 05-Jul-13 02:32:30

We recently moved and have prioritised renovating the DCs rooms and living room, so our most unloved room is our bedroom. Somehow we have three different paints going on in that room, the lights don't work and there are mysterious holes in the ceiling. Which is perhaps why I am still awake at 2.30am, rather than in the master bedroom of our dreams!

stealthsquiggle Fri 05-Jul-13 08:39:37

Can I just say - I love this thread. It makes me feel so much better about the state that we live with things in.

Lilliana Fri 05-Jul-13 09:27:13

Well our bathroom is something else. The ceiling is covered in lovely brown CORK tiles! The yellow paint is peeling off the walls due to the damp despite keeping the window open 24/7 and braving the chilly breeze while having a bath / shower. The shower curtain is help up on a piece of string which is attached to a chunk of wood protruding from the wall and I have to regularly bleach the walls to get rid of the mold!! Do I win?!?!? grin

Lilliana Fri 05-Jul-13 09:29:30

Oops, held up not help up - must learn to check before posting.

Just realised I have outed myself here as not many people can possibly have this for a bathroom!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now