This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED Talk to B&Q about the most unloved room in your home - £150 giftcard to be won

(160 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 04-Jul-13 09:31:56

As you may have seen already, we're working with B&Q, who so far have helped 20 MNers revamp the unloved rooms in their homes - check out the video of their fab revamps here. MNers have also been posting their before and after pics of rooms they've revamped here so do check out both of those threads for Mumsnetter room makeovers!

What B&Q would like now is to hear from as many MNers as possible...

Which is the most unloved room in your home and why? Is it a bathroom that's more shabby than chic? A garden that's more of a jungle? A living room that's past its best or a spare room that's just a dumping ground?

Everyone who shares their unloved room stories here will be entered into a prize draw to win a £150 B&Q giftcard.

Please note that any comments you post here may appear on the B&Q pages on Mumsnet and potentially elsewhere.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

stealthsquiggle Thu 04-Jul-13 14:44:32

Close run thing as the whole house is pretty much a project, but I think the winner by a whisker would be the downstairs toilet. I started trying to obliterate the lurid orange decor when I started my mat leave with DC2. Said child is now 6.5 blush. I stopped when I found the damp/leak in the outside wall, and was so discouraged that the tops of the walls didn't get finished either blush sad. It's not heated so is only really useable in summer, meets no building code known to mankind as it has a low level socket, and is generally a nightmare.

The study has a damp-damaged ceiling and historic water marks down the walls, but it has so much stuff in the room that we've never been able to face clearing it to get it replastered.
It has one socket, with daisy-chain multiway extension cables to power the computer, printer, speakers, shredder etc. it has a FrankenCarpet, cobbled together from off cuts of other carpets. Generally, we do not speak of it. It is The Room That Shall Not Be Namedblush.

NotAQueef Thu 04-Jul-13 15:02:37

Our downstairs loo!

It's basically under the stairs and is dark cold and unloved except by the spiders It also has carpet in it - which we inherited and haven't quite got round to replacing <shudder>
We shoud really make it more appealing as DS is almost ready for toilet training but currently doesn't even like going in there to wash his hands.

NotAQueef Thu 04-Jul-13 15:02:58

*should

IrritaGirl Thu 04-Jul-13 15:13:29

Our spare room. It's teeny and full of boxes that we've not unpacked since we moved in eight months ago. Ironically it's the only room that we've actually managed to paint (we'd planned to make it DS's bedroom, before changing our minds), but it's since become the dumping ground for everything that doesn't have a home. It's curtainless, the carpet's been pulled up, doorframe is half-painted, and I try and avoid looking at the grey ceiling because it just makes me miserable. Actually, I try and avoid looking at the room full-stop - the door is closed most of the time!

It's the 'guest bedroom', which is appropriately referred to as 'the shed'. It does contain a double bed, should anyone care to visit, but it's wedged into a corner of the room, so only accessible from one side. We use the room to store everything we don't really need or use very infrequently. It is currently home to (amongst other things), winter coats, an ironing board, christmas decorations, wrapping paper, books, 2 broken laptops, spare towels, collections of light bulbs, broken lamps and 3 boxes of paperwork DH and I are going to go through 'at some point'. We just don't have appropriate shelves or storage, so everything is either piled into/on top of the wardrobe or deposited on/in front of the bed.

We keep the door closed.

MaxinePeakedistrict Thu 04-Jul-13 15:53:13

Spare bedroom still has unpacked boxes from when we moved 5 years ago blush

Add a layer of toys, some of which haven't been touched for most of that time, and a very messy dc craft table, which rarely gets totally tidied, and you have a bit of a mess.

The decor isn't too bad - a minty green circa 2001, at a guess - which means we haven't rushed to redecorate. And the slightly stained cream carpet we're not fussed about while the dc paint in there.

MonstersDontCry Thu 04-Jul-13 16:05:46

Ours is the living room. It's just so... beige. And bare. The only furniture we have is a tv, small table and a sofa. Oh and a floor lamp. The rest of the room is just filled with DDs toys. It depresses me just being in here.

I would love to put do something about the White Walls and maybe get some more furniture to make it feel a bit more homely and less like a playroom!

iamhopeful Thu 04-Jul-13 16:20:25

Our downstairs toilet, we recently moved in and have no funds to fix it so it is storage currently. The light switch is hanging off the wall, toilet is so grubby that no amount of scrubbing brings it up clean, the sink is similar. There is no doorframe on the inside and the worst tile all over the walls. I didn't realise people tiled the whole room! The floor is old, peeling lino. This is one door I keep closed!

magentastardust Thu 04-Jul-13 16:31:09

Ensuite Bathroom , it needs re grouting and tidied and blasted clean. There also seems to be some Hairdye staining that needs to be addressed-have no idea where that would have come from!

My bedroom looks quite nice it is just a shame that the ensuite lets the room down , I would love to sort it properly!

Pascha Thu 04-Jul-13 16:57:37

Its the hall, stairs and landing here. We always said we'd do it last, once everything else was out of the way, because it needs a new ceiling, walls reskimming, new carpet/wood, bannisters, some rewiring etc etc. Over time we have come to ignore it as we pass through but its the first part of the house guests see and it should make a much better impression really.

We're thinking of moving in the next 18 months. I can see us just slapping some paint on and ripping up the manky carpet to sell.

cocolepew Thu 04-Jul-13 17:03:28

The kitchen. I've tried everything by it still isn't right. The bath leaked once and came through the kitchen ceiling, not much but enough that I had to tear of paper I had on the walls. Then the wall looked rubbish, I couldn't afford to plaster it so used knobbly stuff and painted it.
I picked the layout before we had DC and there isn't enough cupboard space now, I've painted the yellow pine doors more times than I've cooked hot dinners in itgrin.
It's just meh.

NorkyButNice Thu 04-Jul-13 17:16:41

My downstairs toilet is in a disgusting state at the moment, we had a leak under the floor so had to take up the floor tile and remove the ones behind the WC.

Safe to say, it has seen better days. It was pretty uninspiring to begin with anyway, all white with plain metro tiles and a basic suite to squeeze into the small space available. I'd love to get a bold colour in their to liven it up a bit!

bluebump Thu 04-Jul-13 17:19:34

My lounge is the worst room in my house at the moment. We moved in 11 years ago and have painted it a few times but my DS was a bit of a "wall scribbler" so in the summer holidays it is my mission to repaint now that he's at an age where I trust him not to do it again! The carpet desperately needs replacing but i'm hoping by brightening up the walls and cleaning/replacing the curtains it will make a big difference.

The carpet in the whole house needs replacing but it's a bit overwhelming to think of how to fund it and I chicken out at the thought of clearing out the rooms - something in the house always breaks and needs replacing whenever I contemplate it grin

k8vincent Thu 04-Jul-13 17:20:29

Right now the most unloved room in our house is our bathroom. When I say unloved I really mean destroyed.
Just before Christmas I arrived hone from work to find holes in ceiling. DH 'placed' them there to let through water build up due to bad chimney. 6 months ago I came home to discover my DH had pulled down half the ceiling in an attempt to 'discover' the truth about whether chimney supported. Not supported. A few days later steel poles went up. 2 months later steel poles came down with another bit of ceiling so wooden support beam could go up. Bath unplumbed shortly after.
Last week the rest of the ceilings mysteriously came down and the floor tiles came up. Looked in bathroom fixing fund. The computer says, "No". So, we have no floor, no ceiling, half a wall gone and the bath leaning up against the other half. Unloved, definitely. Our bathroom is only of use to the woodworm in the floorboards at the moment!

Hard to choose! Our toilet which has no flooring and discoloured pipes. Our kitchen with unfinished and mismatched units, grease stains because we have no splash back or extractor fan, our bedroom with its make-do wardrobes,,, yep livin' the dream

DoodleAlley Thu 04-Jul-13 17:26:50

Oh our lounge and I hate the fact it's our most used room.

We painted it but it really needs major stuff doing to it, the ceiling is shocking we have a lovely "fake" fireplace that now holds our tv as there is no fire or even chimney breast but to remove it will mean replastering and a new carpet.

Then there are the aluminium patio doors which I'm convinced are so old they must have been prototypes!

Our downstairs toilet has a Floor Of Shame that consists of some dark brown carpet tiles, loosely arranged but not actually stuck down, and donated by my in-laws. They very kindly donated them after our previous Floor Of Shame (a blue carpet. I can feel the entire continent of Europe shuddering at the thought) became too vile and hideous to be kept a moment longer.

So anyway, we pulled up the blue carpet (there might have been some sort of flooding incident involved here), and then we had a concrete floor and nothing to put on it. In-laws had just had their kitchen covered in brown carpet tiles (!!!) and had some spare, and passed them on. Which was very kind, but I hate them almost as much as I hate the concrete floor. My compromise on this was that we would lay them out roughly on the floor, but not actually stick them down, meaning we can enjoy both the brown carpet tiles and the concrete flooring. It's been that way for about five years now.

I really suck at this whole home-ownership thing.

Tee2072 Thu 04-Jul-13 17:45:07

We rent so are sort of stuck with what we have, but if I could change one room? I'd do my son's room. It has the most awful flowered wallpaper (which is throughout the house, actually, so can't even change which room is his) that is not only ugly but not very boyish!

We've done what we can with wall stickers and soft furnishings but I would love to remove the wallpaper and paint the room and redo the whole thing.

Let's not even talk about the bathroom...

Our downstairs toilet.

It's too small to really be anything other than a toilet and basin, and as such it's been overlooked. The toilet hasn't got a seat on it because we can't find one that fits. The only "person" who uses it is our dog, who, in lieu of a new crate, uses it as a place to sleep on the rare occasion that everyone is out.

pipsqueakz Thu 04-Jul-13 18:45:54

Our bedroom is by far the worst room in the house. Our toddler shares with us at the Mo but is going in with his brother soon. Our room is awful nothing goes together old freying carpet, hole in the wall, (not a cash machine lol) its just yuck! My husband is very I'll with chronic condition and can't relax in there is almost bed bound when really bad. Would love an opportunity to make it an oasis for us some where to relax in peace and quiet!

insanityscratching Thu 04-Jul-13 19:04:45

Our hall, stairs and landing is an embarrassment tbh when really it should be welcoming. We haven't decorated it since we moved in so it's still yellow blush with tatty curtains and a faded and worn carpet. The doors are dark wood and so imposing. I dream of sorting it out. It's light and airy too and could be so lovely in fact I have plans on putting in a bookcase and a comfy chair on the landing and having it as my reading space. When I will get it done who knows?

Albiebee Thu 04-Jul-13 19:11:01

Ours is the spare room, currently used as a study/dumping ground of stuff on it's way up-to or down-from the loft. It has ugly textured wallpaper on the ceiling, dodgy cheap polystyrene coving and some missing skirting board where we had to have some re-plastering done on a damp patch. Oh, and there's plaster stuck in the carpet where this was done sad

I'm dreading tackling it next year, once my LO (due in December) is ready to move out of our bedroom he or she will inherit that room. I'd love to start off LOs new life with a clean slate in there, or at least clean paint!

wonkylegs Thu 04-Jul-13 19:17:01

We are about to move into a new house but I know what will become the 'unloved' room. It will be the study. It is in our current house and will be again.
I think it's because only DH & I use it so it doesn't matter so much what it looks like.
Utility shelving takes our huge reams of professional textbooks and files and space is taken up by computers and paper. I long for a peaceful calming oasis in which to work but actually it's always slightly mad chaos instead.
Offices are always the last bit of the house to do so they rarely get decorated and I think this will be true of the next one too.sad
I look at all the beautiful study/office spaces on Houzz etc and think but what do they do with all the stuff?

Lurleene Thu 04-Jul-13 19:20:52

Apart from the teenage DD's bedroom, which frankly should have hazard tape across the door, the worst room in the house is the one we use the most. The living room.

I hated the wallpaper when we moved in 12 years ago but somehow other rooms have been a priority and it has ended up being left. The wallpaper is an awful african tribal pattern with a matching border, the sort of themed style room they used to do on Changing Rooms back in the 90s. Probably where the previous owners got their inspiration.

Compared to the kitchen, bathroom etc it would probably be one of the easiest and cheapest rooms to do up, so I really must get on with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now