Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Early for pickup? Friend running late? Let Barclays know how you make the most of an unexpected 5 minutes downtime out of the house, for your chance to win a £200 John Lewis voucher - NOW CLOSED

(280 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Jul-13 14:01:26

Barclays say "It's happened to all of us - you're out and about and you find yourself with some unexpected free time on your hands - you're a few minutes early for pickup, or one of the kids is bravely allowing a hairdresser to trim their locks."

"We're putting together the ultimate list of tips to maximise lost moments throughout the day, to celebrate two ingenious apps from Barclays: the Barclays Mobile Banking app, which lets you manage your finances when you are out and about; and Barclays Pingit, an app that lets you send and receive money using just a mobile number."

So they are asking, what do you do with that time? How do you make the most of the moments and once they have all added up, what would you spend an extra hour on a week?

Let us know your thoughts on this thread - everyone who adds a comment before the closing date of 15th July 2013 will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £200 John Lewis voucher. Please note your anonymous submitted tips may well be used on the Barclays pages on MN as well as possibly elsewhere.

Thanks
MNHQ

Letitsnow9 Thu 18-Jul-13 19:36:21

Taking in big breaths of fresh air and taking note of nature, be it watching the birds or the leaves blowing in the wind

BoyMeetsWorld Tue 16-Jul-13 22:33:17

I make Lists when i get a sudden 5 minutes. Lists are my life. I jot them down in Notepad on my iPhone - lists of what shipping we need; Christmas prezzie ideas for DH and the kids; lists of what things we need to pay for this month; To Do lists; fantasy baby name lists smile those 5 minute lists save me a LOT of time in the long run...

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Jul-13 11:00:52

Hello - thanks for all your comments!

Am pleased to say treaclesoda wins the £200 JL voucher. Well done.

NorkyButNice Mon 15-Jul-13 10:43:20

If I get a spare few minutes I tend to check my emails on my phone then flick to MN or a news site.

If I have longer then I'll grab my Kindle and try to catch up on one of the many unread books I've got stacked up. OR get out in the garden to do some weeding or watering (desperately needed!).

SaltySeaBird Sun 14-Jul-13 18:10:48

I use iBooks on my iPhone to read for a few moments. I wouldn't necessarily have my Kindle with me if I had an unexpected 5 mins but I do normally have my phone on me. I've even read a few pages while waiting for a train at the level crossing.

Depending on the day of the week I jot down a few ideas for a meal plan the following week as that saves me time when I later do my shopping list.

I check my phone for unanswered texts and fire off a few.

Hopezibah Sat 13-Jul-13 21:39:27

that rare spare 5 minutes never seems to happen to me! but here's what I tend to do if it does...

I keep a book I am reading in the glove compartment of the car and read a bit.

I also keep a bible in there in case I get the chance to read that.

I keep a little notepad with me and use it to make lots of lists of things as otherwise things will just fly into and out of my mind. So shopping lists, to do lists etc get updated.

Just be! I think it is so difficult to be still and not 'do' anything in those spare minutes. So sometimes I just take the time to look at the sky, kick the leaves, or look at a flower or bird.

Spottybra Sat 13-Jul-13 20:52:19

Sorry, two year old pressed the phone and hit post.....

So, 5 mins....
Type up a shoppibg list
Search for cooking inspirations online (my 3 yr old has food allergies to common foods such as potato but I'm a good cook and can adapt things, but cos his diet is strict I want him to try different dishes as much as possible)
Read or download a new book from wattpad
Schedule appointments and update my diary
Send emails or read emails
Shop online. With a 3 yr old and a 2 yr old I am constantly buying new clothes as they grow.

I refuse to do grocery shopping online as I can't have substitutes because of diet restrictions and I cannot stand only having three quarters of my shop delivered. It's just annoying.

Spottybra Sat 13-Jul-13 20:45:00

Spare 5 mins?
My life is on my phone, with 5 m

AbuseHamzaMousseCake Fri 12-Jul-13 17:04:44

Crochet a granny square or two
Catch up with friends/family on WhatsApp. We have groups set up so can have ongoing conversations that you can dip in and out of. grin
Meal plan.
Do Guardian crossword
Read - either news via smartphone or book/short story via kindle app
Check calendar up to date and read emails
Check HotUkDeals for any bargain deals and of course Mumsnet!
grin

Trouvere Fri 12-Jul-13 16:23:58

Listen to the silence. Search online for unusual ice cream flavours to try. Do an online survey for pennies. Weed the garden. Plant some more radishes or leaf salad mix. Give plants a pep talk. Squash aphids.

florencebabyjo Fri 12-Jul-13 15:47:06

Find a lovely tea shop and order a latte and a piece of the most gorgeous looking cake they have. Then I would truly enjoy eating this all by myself, savouring every mouthful without any little voices begging me for some, or worse helping themselves without asking.
I might make a list of what I need to do for the next day, shopping, meals and other tasks, so I would leave feeling both refreshed and rested as well as organised and virtuous, having had just that bit of me time to give me the energy boost I needed to give my family the very best of me smile

makemineamalibuandpineapple Thu 11-Jul-13 20:52:34

I love to use my iPad in a spare 5 mins. Usually catch up on the news, mumsnet or Facebook.

JemimaPuddle Thu 11-Jul-13 19:35:04

With 5 minutes spare I would either MN on my phone or read my kindle.

A whole hour would be either sleeping or eating neither of which I ever get to do uninterrupted!

Doha Thu 11-Jul-13 19:21:33

I use my Kindle fire to catch up on MN FB pay bills etc or even just read the latest novel downloaded from internet

Alidoll Thu 11-Jul-13 17:17:01

I'll admit it..I'd enter a competition or two (she says as daughter is snoozing at the side of her!). ;)

sc00ter Thu 11-Jul-13 14:17:57

I love my MP3 Player and I have it loaded with books.
I only listen to Motivational Books the likes of Jim Rohn, so I educate myself while I am on the move.
If I get a spare moment or two at home I like to meditate, again with MP3 Player. I have relaxing types of music on there for that.
If I have a whole hour I would be extremely motivated or relaxed.

Clawdy Wed 10-Jul-13 20:48:20

With a spare five minutes I'd happily browse in the nearest bookshop or gift shop.

twoboots Wed 10-Jul-13 18:53:31

play candy crush on my iphone

purpleaura Wed 10-Jul-13 18:18:48

In five mins, I would be reading the pregnancy talk forums on mumsnet. If I had a whole hour, I'd buy a paper and find a comfy seat in a nearby cafe and savour the crossword smile

Puppypoppet Wed 10-Jul-13 16:09:17

Catch up on emails, facebook, twitter, mumsnet and moneysavingexpert.

DoubleMum Wed 10-Jul-13 15:47:18

I carry my kindle to read, and smartphone to check emails.

The question was about an unexpected 5 minutes out of the house. I'm very impressed with the resources some of you carry around grin

For a precious few minutes, indulging in something gooey and chocolatey and decadent that would otherwise feel guilty about eating in front of others; for a full glorious hour-
Deepest hottest bubbliest bath with Adrian Mole and a giant mug of properly brewed, tea leaves in a pot cup of tea smile

Missed out the bit about the elusive extra hour.
I would probably have a bath and give myself a facial, wash and blow dry my hair.
Quite boring, but I miss having the time to do a bit of pampering.

BustyDeLaGhetto Wed 10-Jul-13 00:11:28

I'd probably have a wank or two smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now