Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Early for pickup? Friend running late? Let Barclays know how you make the most of an unexpected 5 minutes downtime out of the house, for your chance to win a £200 John Lewis voucher - NOW CLOSED

(280 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Jul-13 14:01:26

Barclays say "It's happened to all of us - you're out and about and you find yourself with some unexpected free time on your hands - you're a few minutes early for pickup, or one of the kids is bravely allowing a hairdresser to trim their locks."

"We're putting together the ultimate list of tips to maximise lost moments throughout the day, to celebrate two ingenious apps from Barclays: the Barclays Mobile Banking app, which lets you manage your finances when you are out and about; and Barclays Pingit, an app that lets you send and receive money using just a mobile number."

So they are asking, what do you do with that time? How do you make the most of the moments and once they have all added up, what would you spend an extra hour on a week?

Let us know your thoughts on this thread - everyone who adds a comment before the closing date of 15th July 2013 will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £200 John Lewis voucher. Please note your anonymous submitted tips may well be used on the Barclays pages on MN as well as possibly elsewhere.

Thanks
MNHQ

SisterMatic Mon 01-Jul-13 19:53:23

I like to read or listen to some music,music can really uplift me if I am flagging during the day.
if I had one childfree hour I would spend it sat with a book and a hot..not lukewarm..not cold..cup of tea. Perfect.

ThePskettiIncident Mon 01-Jul-13 20:05:00

Sit down!
Fix something - clothes, broken toy etc
Sneak a biscuit!

I read usually. Maybe if I've come from work (so been offline) I'll catch up on my emails, check FB or MN. I love my phone for making things like this so much easier.

If I had an entire hour, I'd find a coffee shop and do the same, just more leisurely and with something horribly frothy and syrupy to go with it.

ratbagcatbag Mon 01-Jul-13 20:07:35

I now have a 16 week old dd I never seem to get five mins, but the odd snatched minute I do get I try and mumsnet, Facebook, or even just read a few pages of a book.

If I had a whole hour bliss I'd have a long bath with bubbles and a book,or as a real splurge I'd go for a back and foot massage at beauty salon, leaving DH in charge.

Abra1d Mon 01-Jul-13 20:09:54

I bring some writing (am writer and editor) and work on it. Because I have a 'dumb' phone I can't do much electronically, so there are no distractions and no excuses for not doing lots of work. Somehow, being in the car can be very useful because you are without many distractions. The one thing I've promised myself I'll do is go to the various cashpoints my various cards belong to and change them to the same PIN so I don't have four to remember. Or is that a bit risky?

missorinoco Mon 01-Jul-13 20:11:24

A spare few minutes in the house - read! Out of the house - no kindle yet also, catch up with texts/calls. Admin if it is quick.

HomageToCannelloni Mon 01-Jul-13 20:11:24

If its just five minutes I read in the car, I keep a book in the glove compartment just in case. If its an hour I'd like to go and weed the raised beds or sit in the sun and daydream or MN or catch up with emails to my friends that I've been meaning to send...but honestly, there is always something that needs to be done, so that hour is RARE!!

Mumsnet! Text friends in lieu of actually seeing them. Find something yummy to eat or drink. With a free hour, lie down!

Read / post on mumsnet, Facebook, check eBay, send a quick email or text. If I had a spare hour, I'd read a good old chinned paperback, a rare pleasure these days

heartonsleeve Mon 01-Jul-13 20:38:24

I would either read, or if no book on me, would people watch. I love to people watch!

The luxury of an hour to myself would be either a hot bath (with a book) or a snooze or some 'ahem' with DH grin - assuming he had the same hour free time as me!!

ChippyMinton Mon 01-Jul-13 20:53:09

If I'm in the car I'll listen to the radio or a favourite CD.
And
Clear out receipts and junk from my handbag; or
Wipe down the car interior and fill a carrier bag with rubbish; or
Go through the car wash smile

In the house I'll put on a wash or empty the dishwasher or sweep the floor <dull>
Or catch up on admin - fill out forms, write cheques.

If I have a whole hour I'd probably watch something terrible and cheesy on TV, that I wouldn't be caught watching when DH or the DC are around!

Howstricks Mon 01-Jul-13 20:53:10

Google daft jokes and grin like a loon. An hour? Search through old cookery mags and dream up a dinner party,then invite friends and make it happen.

MonstersDontCry Mon 01-Jul-13 20:54:03

Check mumsnet or Facebook on my phone. Read if I had a book on me.

babyboo1and2 Mon 01-Jul-13 20:57:14

Read my kindle.

Make a to do list.

Text a friend or Dh

ChocChaffinch Mon 01-Jul-13 21:03:30

what do I do with odd 5 minutes..
faff with my mobile. Usually play a game or tidy up my texts
When my kids had a street dance class I used to wait in the car outside <it wasn't worth driving home> with a flask of posh coffee and a chocolate bar. Bliss!
If I had an extra hour I'd give myself a mani/pedicure. I never seem to have the time to do that, the varnish always smudges sad

Wiifitmama Mon 01-Jul-13 21:33:50

I walk. I wear a pedometer and always want to get some extra steps in. So if I find myself with 5 minutes, I walk round the block, pace back and forth, etc.

redandyellowbits Mon 01-Jul-13 21:57:29

I tidy up or add to my never-ending list of reminders I have on my phone

cleoowen Mon 01-Jul-13 22:07:49

Read a book or with a new,born have a little power,nap.

cleoowen Mon 01-Jul-13 22:08:11

Read a book or with a new,born have a little power,nap.

ExasperatedSigh Mon 01-Jul-13 22:11:03

micro nap
dirty fantasy
MN on phone
scribble in my notebook

scrappydappydoo Mon 01-Jul-13 22:12:04

Oh yes - all sorts grin
If I have my kindle I might read
If I have anticipated it I have a nice cup of tea in a flask.
If I'm near a radio - I might listen to radio 4 for 'adult' conversation.
I'll write lists (I have been known to write holiday packing lists 3 months in advance)
I update diaries and check whats happening in the next few days.
I relish going to the loo alone blush

But actually most of the time I just sit down, relax, close my eyes and pray - just taking the time to stop, gather my thoughts and appreciate a sort of eye of the storm type calm.

DuskPanda Mon 01-Jul-13 22:21:00

A few moments-feed my Candy Crush addiction. An hour-sleep!

CheeryCherry Mon 01-Jul-13 22:22:16

Read if I have my book with me.
File and buff my nails.
Have a hand bag clear out
Gather up all the rubbish in my car (if actually in my car)
Wipe the dashboard down with baby wipes.
Text friends I haven't been in touch with lately.
Start a shopping list/meal planner/to-do list.
Play solitaire on my phone blush

DoodleAlley Mon 01-Jul-13 22:24:08

Another kindle reader or mumsnet.

At the moment though I have a Velcro baby and talkative four year old so my idea of bliss is a warm cup of tea, comfy chair and absolute silence. Heaven!

A whole hour to myself? Goodness me... Probably calm shopping for myself or a bath and the radio.

DoodleAlley Mon 01-Jul-13 22:24:55

In essence my treats involve doing one thing rather than having to multitask all the time. Oh the luxury!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now