This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED: Let’s talk cleaning windows: Win one of two top of the range Karcher WV 70 Window Vacs (£99.99) for your thoughts...

(209 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 19-Jun-13 11:38:14

We've been asked by the team at Kärcher to find out your thoughts on cleaning windows - inside and out. They'd also love to get your feedback on the idea of their Window Vac.

Kärcher say "With Kärcher Window Vacuums you can save time when cleaning smooth surfaces such as windows, tiles and mirrors - without leaving streaks. The innovative water recovery system takes up dirty water before it drips - and it can be used anywhere because it is battery-operated!"

So please let us know on this thread......

~ Who in your house cleans the windows or do you get someone to come in? What about inside and outside windows?

~ How often your windows get a clean? (inside and out)?

~ How much time would you/ your partner be prepared to spend cleaning the windows in your house? What problems, if any, are encountered?

~ Had you heard of the Kärcher Window Vac before today? Do you have one in your household? Would you contemplate trying one out? Why? What do you think of it? Where else do you think you'd use it?

Add your thoughts and you'll be entered into a prize draw where two MNers will each win a Kärcher Window Vac worth £99.99 (top of the range one grin)

Thanks, MNHQ

Elainey1609 Wed 03-Jul-13 22:36:30

The window cleaners clean outside once a month while I do the inside I try to ado them at a similar time, washing all the nets and curtains aswell.

Would spend as little time as possible as cleaning the windows is one of the most labour intensive jobs and at times seems a waste of time.
I do them one day wake up in the morning and they are dirty again.

Ive never heard of it to be honest, I am always up for something that will improve the time spend on cleaning and something that makes my life easier.
However that's my problem...I have a lot of similar gadgets that do different things around the house that never live up to my expectations....would this just join that selection

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Jul-13 13:43:43

hello - thanks for all your comments and feedback.
Am pleased to say the 2 winners are SunshineBossaNova and Moominsarehippos well done envy smile - enjoy!

ratbagcatbag Mon 01-Jul-13 12:20:47

~ Who in your house cleans the windows or do you get someone to come in? What about inside and outside windows?
I have a window cleaner who comes and does the outside, I think I've done the inside once in ten years I've lived here.

The outsides every four weeks ish, the insides maybe once every ten years blush

~ How much time would you/ your partner be prepared to spend cleaning the windows in your house? What problems, if any, are encountered?
I'd be happy to spend an hour or so on all windows, the problem is the one time in ten years I did clean them the streaks were horrendous, and I felt looked even worse than being dirty.

~ Had you heard of the Kärcher Window Vac before today? Do you have one in your household? Would you contemplate trying one out? Why? What do you think of it? Where else do you think you'd use it?
I have heard of the Window vac, me and DH saw the advert, he'd love one and then my windows would get cleaned smile however it's trying to justify the cost of one, for something I do every ten years (currently) I'd love to try one to see if it loves up to the hype and I think it would be fab on the floor to ceiling mirror in the spare room. I'd also give it a go on the tiles bathroom walls, I think I'd find that more beneficial on that to be honest.

littlemonkeychops Sun 30-Jun-13 18:06:53

Argh posted too soon! They looked nice for a few days and i've booked them to be done every 6 months, don't see the point in getting them done more often as it's just another expense.

I do the insides myself every couple of months. Doesn't take too long but the smears that i always seem to end up with do annoy me.

Not heard of the window vac and would be v.interested to try one if it would be streak free, and especially if it can be used outside and so save the cost of the window cleaner.

I'd be willing to spend an hour or two doing them.

littlemonkeychops Sun 30-Jun-13 18:01:13

The other week we had our outside windows cleaned for the first time since we moved in 3.5 years ago! They looked

ladyandthechocolate Sat 29-Jun-13 19:43:06

Who in your house cleans the windows or do you get someone to come in? What about inside and outside windows?

The window cleaner does the outside and I do the inside (when I can bothered or can no longer see out very well!

How often your windows get a clean? (inside and out)?
Inside 4-6 weeks, outside monthly

How much time would you/ your partner be prepared to spend cleaning the windows in your house? What problems, if any, are encountered?

About 5 mins per window, sometimes it's hard to stop them looking streaky.

Had you heard of the Kärcher Window Vac before today? Do you have one in your household? Would you contemplate trying one out? Why? What do you think of it? Where else do you think you'd use it?

I have heard of it but couldn't justify the expense. Would def try it though also on the shower cubicle.

Hellohippo Fri 28-Jun-13 19:09:36

I do inside OH does outside, that's the deal since the window cleaner scaled the roof to do front and back and was wanting£8 per week.
when we notice they look bad, usually its OH who does outside and I realise how bad the insides are.
~ How much time would you/ your partner be prepared to spend cleaning the windows in your house? What problems, if any, are encountered? We have some large windows, seems to take ages, rewarding though. I try to keep on top if it by doing the windows when I do the cleaning in each room. Problem is access with ladders for outside and the trailing hosepipe and splash back.

~ Had you heard of the Kärcher Window Vac before today? Do you have one in your household? Would you contemplate trying one out? Why? What do you think of it? Where else do you think you'd use it? I have heard of it, I work with someone who loves hers. I would like to try one before buying to see what difference it makes. I think it's a great idea and the main reason I'd like one is for condensation in winter but also for the shower cubicle it looks quick enough to use after each shower.

Window cleaner does the outside windows for us twice monthly during the summer.... insides get done 'less often' by me. (Ie: Once in a blue moon.) They are disgusting though- we have floor to ceiling windows and a toddler blush

I don't like faffing so I literally want the cleaning to be done in a jiffy.

I have heard of Karcher window vac as MIL has one that I covet.
I'd use it in the bathrooms, on the huge living room windows, bathroom tiles (4 bathrooms lovely to have but not to clean.)

Sam100 Fri 28-Jun-13 14:45:07

We have a window cleaner come once a month to do the outside then I clean the insides - probably not as often as I should!

Outside - once a month. Inside - when it is really sunny and I cannot stand the smears!

Main problems are not having enough time to do a proper job - I like to do properly with bucket of soapy water, squeegee and cloth to buff. But unless I do one set each night I never get a chance to do whole house in one go as I work full time. I invariably end up doing with a window spray and kitchen towel which always looks horrid.

I have heard of it and would like to try one but am worried it would just be another gadget in the cupboard that does not get used.

If I had one I'd try it out on the bathroom tiles, the mirrors, the car - heck I'd try it out on the kids and see if I can finally get their hands clean!

HALA Fri 28-Jun-13 12:59:20

Who in your house cleans the windows or do you get someone to come in? What about inside and outside windows?
My husband does the outside windows whenever I tell him they need a clean. I am responsible for the insides.

Once a month outside, and inside whenever i notice they are dirty.

How much time would you/ your partner be prepared to spend cleaning the windows in your house? What problems, if any, are encountered?

My husband is happy to spend a whole morning doing the outside, if it is sunny. I too take a morning to do the insides, once a month.

Had you heard of the Kärcher Window Vac before today? Do you have one in your household? Would you contemplate trying one out? Why? What do you think of it? Where else do you think you'd use it?

I have heard of the Karcher Window Vac, but never used one - I would definately like to try it. I would also use it on all the mirrors in my home. ( I have a few full length ones !!)

Woofers Fri 28-Jun-13 12:40:28

Pick me pick me!!!!

i clean the windows both inside and out

we have lived here 5 years and the only times the windows have been cleaned are before our wedding, and in the last week - nesting

30 mins IF it was easy and didn't smear

YES I WANT ONE!! I would love to have clean windows. Dog nose painting is a great hobby in this house. I bought the steam cleaner after the last competition because I was so upset I didn't get one to try. I LOVE it and as a result 2 friends have bought one. Steam envy. I'd like a window streamer because it vacuumes the muck away and it's not as bulky to take round the house. I would also use it in the shower - on the panels, not on me.

A final plea from a pregnant woman who must have a window cleaner to combat insomnia due to previously unheard of cleaning anxieties and nesting.

zombie31 Fri 28-Jun-13 06:07:21

We, ourselves clean the windows, both inside and outside.

not as often as they should, usually when they really need doing!

Time wise it doesn't take too long for windows inside and out, the longest is cleaning the conservatory and that does take a long time! Cleaning the conservatory is one of the problems particularly the roof, and also cleaning the outside of the bedroom window above the conservatory. Streaks also are big problem, particularly with the conservatory.

Yes i've heard of it and some family/friends have one and rave about it, it's really changed their cleaning habits- they now clean their windows more regularly and have noticed a big difference with no streaks left behind, so yes i would definitely try one.

tully67 Fri 28-Jun-13 00:06:13

I clean inside and downstairs outside. OH cleans outside upstairs (too high). used to have a window-cleaner but he stopped calling!!!

~ How often your windows get a clean? (inside and out)? Not really sure, when i think they need it lol, probably every couple of months. I do the living room inside lots when we have the fire lit in winter. they get cleaned lots more in summer-time.

I get them done as quickly as possible because I hate doing them. Use step ladder downstairs inside and out.

I love the idea of the steam cleaner and have definitely thought about buying one, anything that makes that job easier is GOOD.

D1974 Thu 27-Jun-13 23:11:43

My husband usually takes charge of both inside and out when he's had enough of seeing the condition they get in, or we have lots of visitors due to come!

Outside-quarterly
Inside- quarterly

It's not always done at the same time but he will spend perhaps an hour outside and less inside as no ladders are needed. Certain 1st floor windows are particularly hard to reach, even with a ladder.

I have seen one in passing in a DIY store, but don't have one in the household. I'd be tempted to try one as it doesn't take up much space and looks simple enough to use. We're updating our ensuite and one issue has always been smeary shower screens so I'd love to try one on the glass.

v3an Thu 27-Jun-13 22:47:27

I clean the windows - inside and outside

both monthly

I do not find it enjoyable so as little as possible. The time invested does not last long with the unpredictable frequent rain.

Seen ad, do not have one, it would be good to try as it looks good. I will also use it to clean the tiles in the bathroom.

Aethelred Thu 27-Jun-13 20:49:19

We have a window cleaner for the outside (but I wipe any sills that I can reach because he doesn't do that). I do the inside windows with help from my husband with the ones I can't reach in the conservatory.

The outside ones get cleaned when the window cleaner comes (it seems a bit random) and the inside ones get done when they are dirty; the downstairs ones get a minimum of a quick all-over swipe every month or so and marks cleaned off as and when needed.

I would like to spend as little time as possible, but a maximum of an hour a month or two. I find it hard to reach some windows and find it very boring!

I knew that there was something that Kärcher did for window cleaning but wasn't sure what it was. We don't have one. I would be interested in trying one but, to be honest, wouldn't be able to pay £100 for the top of the range one! It sounds as though it would be useful throughout the house.

sealight123 Thu 27-Jun-13 20:27:50

I am the chief window cleaner in our house, inside and out.

I feel terrible for saying this but around every 2 weeks....Me and my partner work full-time so by the time we've finished work, got my daughter sorted for bed after tea and a couple of hours of playtime, we have enough energy to do the washing up and wash some clothes...priorities people...PRIORITIES!!

I would be willing to be deep cleaning every window in my house for an hour as we also have a conservatory that adds to the window cleaning quota lol

I have heard of it, in fact, my mother-in-law has one and swears by it. She uses it on her glass table and windows and it does the job. Sometimes the wiper will get too wet (depending on how long you are using it at a time) making it a bit streaky but for a few windows at a time its bob on smile
I would use it for those little hand marks that seem to appear all over the windows and our kitchen cupboards.

Moominsarehippos Thu 27-Jun-13 20:23:53

Car windows!

JaquelineHyde Thu 27-Jun-13 20:21:43

Oooh actually our shower screen is a disgrace, I bet it would bring that up lovely grin

JaquelineHyde Thu 27-Jun-13 20:18:20

Once a month the window cleaner comes and does the outside windows (but doesn't do a great job). I am responsible for the insides.

Once a month outside, and inside - whenever I get too embarrassed to leave them any longer, this has been known to be months and months blush

I would be happy to clean them every week if it was easy enough, but every time I do them it takes forever and they just end up looking all smeared. (and my arms hurt a lot)

Yes I had heard of it and have always wanted one! I would love to try one out but I have no idea where else I could use it confused

Waltons Thu 27-Jun-13 20:05:43

A window cleaner does the outside and the conservatory inside.

Outside every 4 weeks, plus inside conservatory every 8 weeks. Other inside windows - every 6 months if they're lucky!

As little time as possible. Main problem is lots and lots of 4in square door panels, all wooden framed. And DH, who wouldn't clean a window even if his life depended on it.

Hadn't heard of it until this thread.

Would definitely give one a try because we have acres of glass everywhere - bookshelves, shower cubicles plus fully tiled bathrooms, kitchen tiles, etc. Would like to give it a go on the car windscreens too - they never seem to get properly clean. I wish it had a micro-size head for all those little panes of glass though.

RunningKatie Thu 27-Jun-13 19:54:57

Outside windows are done by a window cleaner, I guess I clean the inside ones except I haven't since we moved in last July.

Outside ones are done fortnightly.
I've done the patio doors and living room ones when DD puts her hands on them and leaves lots of sticky handprints - so probably monthly.

We spend £2.80 fortnightly on the outside windows. The window cleaners do leave the back gate unlocked and have appeared at the windows when I've been sat breastfeeding etc. which is a tad embarrassing.

I've seen the advert on tv. It looks good as a tool to clean the inside easily although I'm not a huge fan of the advert. If it looks fun then no doubt DD will want to get in on the act which is always a bonus!

peronel Thu 27-Jun-13 18:50:38

1. I clean the windows, inside and out.
2. Spring cleaning - once a yearblush OK, I am ashamed!
3. An hour a month
4. Heard of it, want it... sounds like it might actually be fun in which case I'd use it regularly.

Underconstruction Thu 27-Jun-13 17:26:23

Once a window cleaner did it (for a wedding)... otherwise it's me, ie no-one does it.

Hardly ever. I've done them about twice. The window cleaner came once and once I came home and found my babysitter doing it (I love my babysitter).

If I knew how to get them clean, I'd do it much more often, but it's so utterly demoralising when you work your socks off and they look like crap afterwards. Might apprentice myself to a window cleaner and practise on other people's windows till I can get it right. Then I can revert to my old slack ways in the knowledge that I could get them clean.

Oooh, I'd love to try one. Hope it looks manly because it would be even better if DH wanted to try it (that's why I asked for a ride-on mower for my birthday... and it works, DH now mows). And if it doesn't work, the village fete's coming up...

Babieseverywhere Thu 27-Jun-13 17:25:34

I clean the inside windows. We occasional get the window cleaner to do the front outside windows but he can't get around the back of the house so the back outside windows are not done sad

Inside, whenever I notice they need doing...more in children's rooms, less in our room. Maybe weekly in kids room, monthly elsewhere

Washing windows properly is too messy and time consuming, I tend to use a baby wipe to clean the glass and a microfibre cloth to dry and buff it No tub of dirty water and wet cloths which is the alternative.

Had you heard of the Kärcher Window Vac before today? Do you have one in your household? Would you contemplate trying one out? Why? What do you think of it? Where else do you think you'd use it? I have heard of them. My mother (who is an excellent at keeping her home spotless) wants one and told me about them and how they work. If I am lucky enough to win a window vac, I'll give it share it to my mother, as she would be delighted. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now