Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Take a look at the LifeSkills programme and let us know your thoughts for your chance to win £200 of John Lewis vouchers - NOW CLOSED

(83 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 14-Jun-13 16:24:02

You might have seen that Mumsnet is supporting the new LifeSkills programme, created with Barclays. It's something we all feel passionate about, and as you've told us, young people need help if they're going to get into the world of work.

Take a look at LifeSkills, and tell us how you think it's doing? Pledge your support by clicking on the widget above.

LifeSkills Work Week runs from 17 to 21 June 2013 and is an opportunity for schools to get their pupils involved in a range of work-related opportunities, from LifeSkills workshops and resources, careers fairs and business and parent speaking opportunities as well as getting their students out on work experience opportunities.

There are lots of ways you can support the LifeSkills movement. And if you're already getting involved, let us know how!

Let us know your thoughts on this thread - everyone who adds a comment or shares how they are supporting the programme will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £200 John Lewis voucher.

Thanks

MNHQ

Roselau Wed 26-Jun-13 06:35:02

very good idea to provide kids with that kind of support. unfortunately there are things that schools don;t teach.

v3an Thu 27-Jun-13 22:26:38

excellent idea to be provided by a private business to young ones!

peronel Fri 28-Jun-13 14:13:26

Seems a great idea. Apprenticeships are what are needed for school leavers to learn on the job and get paid at the same time, with the older generation passing on their skills.

aftermay Fri 28-Jun-13 21:07:10

They are not paying for apprenticeships and not talking about learning on the job.

florencebabyjo Sat 29-Jun-13 16:25:15

This looks great and I am looking into whether I could help by offering a work placement in my catering business. Am also wondering though, what Barclays are getting out of it, or maybe that's just me being cynical?

ratbagcatbag Mon 01-Jul-13 12:41:09

Hmmm, I with others here who are suspicious about the reasons behind barclays doing this, I also dislike that the school must be signed up for students to access all areas.

That all said, I think the site is really good and easy to navigate, my DSS goes into year 11 in sept and is already considering apprenticeships etc, so will find a lot of the cv writing and interview tips really helpful as he s worried about this aspect of job hunting (most important bits then)

I've sent the link to his mum to get her to have a look through and I also think the guidance for parents in useful too. All in all a good idea, but I woud feel happier if it was a range of businesses covering different sectors offering it.

Finally I didn't realise that schools now funded their own careers advice and will be making a point of finding what my DSS school offers in terms if this service.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Jul-13 13:25:19

Hi - thanks for all the comments. Am pleased to say Hopezibah has been selected as the winner of the £200 voucher. Well done.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 03-Jul-13 12:19:15

Thanks for all the feedback - the thread has been shared with the senior team on LifeSkills and they say "Thanks very much for all the feedback - there certainly are some useful points raised for us to look at in terms of developing the programme"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now