This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Share your top tips on how to fit exercise into busy everyday life with Fitbit and win a Fitbit flex - NOW CLOSED

(123 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 28-May-13 12:21:34

Fitbit have asked us to find out how and when Mumsnetters fit exercise into their everyday routine. Here is some more info from Fitbit: "Fitbit is the leader in activity trackers and is dedicated to helping people lead healthier, more active lives. Fitbit takes a common sense approach to fitness. We believe that the key is to make it easier for consumers to be more active, eat smarter, and get enough sleep - in short, that small changes to your daily routine can add up to big results. To that end, we aim to create innovative, inspiring products and online services that harness the power of new technologies to make people more aware of their everyday activities and motivate them to do more."

We're talking about everyday things you do to be more active - do you have any top tips or advice to share? It could be a time-saving measure which means you free up more time for exercise, or it could be a way that you've found of exercising while doing something else perhaps?!

Everyone who shares their advice or top tip on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a Fitbit Flex - a wireless activity tracker worn on the wrist which measures steps, distance, calories burned and also sleep (RRP £79.99).

Please note that any comments posted on this thread may appear in an email MN will be sending out, and potentially elsewhere.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

Willemdefoeismine Wed 29-May-13 09:57:19

I have a half an hour school run walk to and from DD's school so that's two hours of walking every day and when I'm doing the two trips alone I power walk. I also walk everywhere unless it would be a two hour walk to get there grin.

However, I could do with loosening up a bit - I'm getting very stiff so don't think the walking alone is offering me quite the range of health benefits I might need at my age.

notcitrus Wed 29-May-13 10:54:47

I have to be careful since injuring myself shortly after giving birth, but try to walk from the station to work rather than get the bus (after walking 2/3 mile to nursery and station), and then to walk up to the 3rd floor at least once.
I'm supposed to do a bunch of physio exercises 3 times a day so I try to do them at the same time as minding kids, but it's hard as I need stairs and something to hold on to. I do them while microwaving things but that used to be when I loaded and unloaded the dishwasher...

Finally getting a bit more energy now dc2 is sleeping better, so managed a run on Sat morning - MrNC doesn't get home until gone 8 in the week so it's 9 by the time we finish eatng and I don't have any energy by then. I used to swim but the local leisure centre was knocked down and then when I was on mat leave the next one changed its creche policy so no babies under one were allowed, so I couldn't leave dc2 there. So just trying to squeeze in more little bits until new pool is built, and hoping I don't hurt myself again.

Sheila Wed 29-May-13 12:15:27

What a great thread! I walk to work and back each day and now DS is old enough to be left on his own in the evening i manage a local yoga class once a week. I do find that at 50 my joints aren't in great shape, so high impact is out for me, which is a great shame because i used to love running (probably how i knackered my knees!).

Rosa Wed 29-May-13 12:25:11

I have to walk everywhere where I live so I average up a fair few km. i do water gym twice a week and also a cardio class twice a week yet I need to do more in order to kill the pounds... Eat what you can walk / work off and only spoil yourself when you deserve it....

Teladi Wed 29-May-13 12:38:53

Making it a priority and part of your routine is key. I just got a bike and now cycle to work some days. I also strength train 3x a week and try and fit in some runs. I have to take it in turns with my husband so while one of us is putting DD to bed, the other is getting changed and heading out to run / go to the gym, then the one who did the bedtime routine will be ready to head off when the first exerciser gets back! Sometimes if I don't want to wait I will do something like 30 Day Shred or Ripcords Circuit7. I'm hoping to get a barbell at home soon so that will be me sorted!

slug Wed 29-May-13 12:44:03

We don't have a car. Living in London it's more of a hindrance than a help. As a family we have a policy of walking any journey under 2 miles. This includes the supermarket. We take a backpack and lug the shopping up the hill on our backs.

I have a fairly sedentary job but I have the luxury of a gym nearby. I make sure I go at least 4 lunchtimes a week. I do this not so much for the fitness, but for the sanity the break from work and exercise brings.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Wed 29-May-13 13:03:51

learn to love running/jogging/walking at a decent pace (couch to 5k is brilliant for this)
you don't need any stuff other than your trainers, you don't waste time travelling to a class and waiting for it to start, you're exercising as soon as you're out of the front door. get a copy of the 30 day Shred DVD as an emergency back up for when you can't get childcare, or it snows grin.

and definitely make it a routine, if work shifts and childcare allows. my nights to run are Mon and Fri, DH does Tues and Sun. afford these arrangements the same level of commitment as a night in the pub.

I'd second the poster who said to habitually stand and keep on the move all the time. I'd add to that, skipping is very fun and great exercise. Not rope skipping, skipping along like a child. It's a surprisingly active form of locomotion. Add to that the fact you'll probably end up laughing at the spectacle you're making, skipping along like a loon, and you've got a decent workout.
As others have said, dancing, gardening, walking everywhere, stairs etc.
Also, carry the shopping home on foot instead of putting it in the car. You buy less, knowing you have to carry it home, you burn a good few calories and you save petrol.
Win-wingrin.

Forgot to say, I do all this, and lost 5st last year, keeping it off easily too.

MrsHarford Wed 29-May-13 13:43:10

DS a bit too young to cycle the 3 miles to school (could do the distance but busy roads). So... I run or cycle 6M to work in the morning while OH drives DS to school with his own bike on back of car. He parks car there, drops off DS and cycles on into work. In the evenings I cycle or run 3M to school to pick up DS from afterschool club, put bike on back of car if necessary and drive home. -> 9M of either cycling or running done most days.

whats4teamum Wed 29-May-13 14:11:20

I have a fitbit one and it is brilliant for motivating me to get off my arse. My children no longer need me for school runs which was in excess of 10000 steps. Inevitably the weight piled on.

Now with my fitbit I make an effort to go out for a walk in the evening and get my steps in. I am also doing 30 day shred, 5:2 diet and have lost 1.5 stones and would like to loose another stone.

Also you can't beat a bit of fresh air for lifting your mood.

snowymum12 Wed 29-May-13 14:16:14

I embarked on the brilliant NHS 'couch to 5k' programme in January. The runs are only 30 ish minutes in total so I tend to go after my husband arrives home and my baby is in bed. I think that having the structure of 3 sessions a week helped me to build exercise into my weekly routine. I'm now running at least 5k per session and feel so much healthier as a result.

HannahLI Wed 29-May-13 15:04:40

I send my husband to work in the car which forces to me to walk everywhere to stay fit. I also push myself to walk quickly with the pushchair to give myself the workout I need

Anastasia1979 Wed 29-May-13 15:05:57

I've lost my baby weight by buying a second hand double buggy and getting rid of our second car, so to get the kids anywhere I have to push them around our very hilly town! Shopping adds to the weight of the buggy too. I've also found bouncing on the bouncy castle at soft play very beneficial too!!

sharond101 Wed 29-May-13 15:13:43

We fit exercise into our family time so as to encourage DS to do the same when he is a bit older. I walk everywhere within reasonable distance and we have a Croozer for my bicycle which has a large compartment in the back so i can go my shopping. We regularly climb the stairs even if it's only one item to take up and we chase our dog around the garden. Looking at a yoga DVD to do in the evening when DS goes to bed but not gotten around to ordering it yet.

Mandz07 Wed 29-May-13 15:15:10

I have a 1.5 mile walk to school 4 x daily as dd1 goes in at 9 dd2&3 go to nursery at . Then they come out a different times to so that in itself is a good amount of exercise. I also go up and down the stairs at home at least 50 times a day. The best keep fit equipment I have purchased though definitely has to be a tag man ( man shaped punchbag). When someone or something annoys or irritates me 10 min punching him always builds up a good sweat would really recommend everyone to invest in one not only great exercise but such a good stress reliever

VinegarDrinker Wed 29-May-13 15:18:44

Like a lot of others on this thread, we don't have a car. We walk or cycle all day to day journeys. For me this means 12 miles a day cycle to/from work, or 14 miles on the days I go via DS's nursery.

JS06 Wed 29-May-13 16:10:01

Have kitted out our garage bit by bit with equipment we can all use, treadmill, ab circle, rowing machine and multi gym. No possiblity of car ever getting back in but we all feel the benefit and have opportunities to exercise on our doorstep. It's cold and a bit darkish but we've put a tiny tv in there and try to do something every other day - for me the variety of doing something different is appealing and occasionally will skip in the garden while no one is looking.

When my little girl has her swimming lesson I swim for 25 minutes, I squeeze in a zumba class and get up 20 minutes early to squeeze in some yoga a couple of times a week.

I'm going to steal the yoga with kids, it'll give me extra time in bed!!

And if I don't manage that, then I try to do shred a couple of times a month, but it hurts!

Huffpot Wed 29-May-13 16:35:41

I walk just about everywhere with my double buggy and do most of my shopping with it.
Am planning on starting swimming lessons again too as have only learnt to swim and need the practice.
My 2 DC start nursery for 2.5 houra a day in September so planning on going swimming then too smile

I try to do multiple trips up and down the stairs when tidying up, e.g. take one thing up, see what needs bringing down, take another thing up, etc.
Also (when the weather is nice !) get off the tube a stop early and walk the extra.
I don't do enough though, I need to try and do more walking but the damn rain.. Perhaps I need a better coat smile

DoubleMum Wed 29-May-13 16:48:58

Even when you are sitting at the computer, you can still exercise your muscles in your bottom and legs - less noticeable for me though as I work at home rather than in an office!

Smudging Wed 29-May-13 16:54:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

skyninja Wed 29-May-13 18:42:38

DVDs while youngest is napping, obviously the downside is that during school hols I don't get a chance in the mornings as the older two are hanging around and it's not really a spectator sport watching me sweat and curse.

I suppose I should get up and run early in the morning but then again...

If I don't exercise before lunch there is little or no chance of me doing any that day beyond the normal walking dog/cleaning/gardening stuff.

Have loads of DVDs so I rotate them to avoid boredom, am currently in to interval training and weights but have previously been in to aerobics, pilates, yoga.

Having said all this I'm probably in the best shape I've been in for a while, if you ignore the ravages of three pregnancies and the fact 40 is just around the corner.

skyninja Wed 29-May-13 18:47:00

Sorry, I meant 'considering 40 is just around the corner! Could probably do with some brain training.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now