Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Talk to Humzingers about picnics and be in with a chance of winning a hamper of goodies

(154 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 21-May-13 13:48:43

Humzingers have asked us to find out where MNers stand on picnics for the family, now that summer is just around the corner (surely it must be?!)

Here is what Humzingers have to say about their product: "Humzingers are designed to be convenient and offer variety - they're 100% fruit sticks with no added sugar and are foil wrapped for freshness. What's more, each fruit stick counts as one of your five-a-day!"

Humzingers want to make sure that they keep Mums' opinions in mind when they're creating new products so they're interested to know your thoughts on the questions below.

Everyone who posts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a hamper of goodies worth £100.

~ When you choose snacks to take on a picnic, is giving your children their 5-a-day a factor in your choices or not? And do you usually choose what snacks your children get on a picnic or do they choose themselves?

~ Do you ever buy dried fruit snacks for picnics with your family?

~ What are your top tips on packing a healthy picnic?

~ How do you think companies can make dried fruit snacks more appealing to children?

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

lolancurly Wed 31-Jul-13 12:19:07

We tend to just pack YUMMY STUFF when we make a picnic; like sausage quiche, a big fat home-made cake, crisps, drinks, flask of tea for mummy etc It does usually also include fruit - some times the real deal (bananas and strawberries and apples etc) depending what's in season. For convenience, we do also use the dried fruit snacks - these are great in picnics because of the longer shelf life. My advice to Humzingers is to ADD A JOKE to your packets. My girls love anything with a corny joke on it, that they can read and tell themselves. I could possibly start writing jokes on bananas, I suppose.......

MrsGeologist Sat 03-Aug-13 16:47:24

~ When you choose snacks to take on a picnic, is giving your children their 5-a-day a factor in your choices or not? And do you usually choose what snacks your children get on a picnic or do they choose themselves?

I always make sure I bring some fruit along for them, and I chose their snacks, otherwise it would be just chocolate bars and crisps.

Occasionally I'll take some raisins, but DS2 doesn't like them and DS1 isn't always in the mood for them.

Take only healthy things along, that way they can't fill up on cake and crisps and things like that. If they're hungry they'll eat it.

~ How do you think companies can make dried fruit snacks more appealing to children?

Well, DS1 often doesn't have the patience for fishing around in a tiny box for raisins and DS2 won't eat them because they don't taste of much when you lick them (he's only one and if he licks something and it doesn't immediately taste good, he'll disregard it.)
Possibly making it less fiddly and looking more like sweets.

It's harder now my ds is gluten free- we do carrot sticks and hummus a lot, sometimes crisps and dips.

I usually try and put something healthy in- cherry toms are popular with mine. Instead is sandwiches sometimes do hot x buns and babybels ( not for gf!).

Quite like the him zingers sticks- how about a fruit and nut mix, like those naked bars? Would be less sweet, and more filling.

I really hate those flavoured raisins so don't suggest them!

Little chdn like fun wrapping, but it embarasses teens, so go with grown up I think.

I always include at least one piece of fruit each for them, put salad in their sandwiches too. As snacks we take yogurt, those fruit strings, crisps, sausage rolls and fruit. If they chose their own it would be chocolate, cake and biscuits

My DH takes dried apricots if we have some in, but not usually

Hide the healthy stuff, salad on sandwiches, fruit snacks and don't take too many 'treats'

make then fun to eat, for example my DS's love yogurt where they mix the corner of fruit in, or when they have things to dip and add other flavour too. Basically they like to play with their food

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now