Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Talk to Humzingers about picnics and be in with a chance of winning a hamper of goodies

(154 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 21-May-13 13:48:43

Humzingers have asked us to find out where MNers stand on picnics for the family, now that summer is just around the corner (surely it must be?!)

Here is what Humzingers have to say about their product: "Humzingers are designed to be convenient and offer variety - they're 100% fruit sticks with no added sugar and are foil wrapped for freshness. What's more, each fruit stick counts as one of your five-a-day!"

Humzingers want to make sure that they keep Mums' opinions in mind when they're creating new products so they're interested to know your thoughts on the questions below.

Everyone who posts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a hamper of goodies worth £100.

~ When you choose snacks to take on a picnic, is giving your children their 5-a-day a factor in your choices or not? And do you usually choose what snacks your children get on a picnic or do they choose themselves?

~ Do you ever buy dried fruit snacks for picnics with your family?

~ What are your top tips on packing a healthy picnic?

~ How do you think companies can make dried fruit snacks more appealing to children?

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

VestandKnickers France Wed 22-May-13 16:51:18

* When you choose snacks to take on a picnic, is giving your children their 5-a-day a factor in your choices or not? And do you usually choose what snacks your children get on a picnic or do they choose themselves? *
I generally choose what my children eat on a picnic. Occasionally we might make an activity of shopping for a picnic but that doesn't always end well! I definitely try to make sure they've got some fruit or salad items in a picnic.

* Do you ever buy dried fruit snacks for picnics with your family? * If I was buying for a planned picnic I would choose fresh fruit, but I'd definitely keep dried fruit products in the cupboard for spontaneous picnics when the weather is suddenly nicer than expected or we get invited to join friends on a day out.

* What are your top tips on packing a healthy picnic? *
My children definitely eat better if they can graze rather than having big things so we tend to avoid sandwiches and made up salads and have crackers, pates, dips, mini samosas, chopped up salad and fruit etc.

* How do you think companies can make dried fruit snacks more appealing to children? *
Depends on the age group. When mine were little they'd have loved anything with Peppa Pig or Thomas on. Now they're a bit bigger they're learning about healthy eating in school so the five a day logo would appeal to them. Nice small bits too - not a great big bar. They can always have two if they like them but can be put off by something too big.

Blu Wed 22-May-13 17:45:11

Is anyone actually planning a picnic in the near future?

<<gazes out at dismal sky>>

JudithOfThePascha Wed 22-May-13 17:55:38

~ When you choose snacks to take on a picnic, is giving your children their 5-a-day a factor in your choices or not? And do you usually choose what snacks your children get on a picnic or do they choose themselves?

I do try to include some fruit and veg, although I don't get hung up on '5 a day'. I might ask the DCs if they want anything specific or I might just pack a lot of things we all like. It depends on whether I've been mad enough to take them shopping with me.

Yes. We buy Humzingers all the time, yoghurt covered raisins, fruit smoothie pouches and snack packs of dried apricots.

Pack a mixture of old favourites and new things. Put small pots of cut up fruit and veg (carrot sticks, mini corn etc), chunks of protein stuff (cubes of cheese, chicken strips etc) and carbs (pieces of 'posh' bread like focaccia, pastry whirls etc) in the middle and let everyone pick and share.

~ How do you think companies can make dried fruit snacks more appealing to children?

Unfortunately, using favourite cartoon characters is always popular. Bright colours and simple names they can recognise easily.

Smartiepants79 England Wed 22-May-13 20:20:10

I try and make sure that the a picnic is 'balanced' but, as they are considered to be a bit of a treat it is important that they are tempting and fun.
I would include snack foods such as baby sausages, cheeses and pizza.
I do buy and include dried fruit snacks especially if it is a picnic for a car journey.
I don't really let my DD choose but will do as they grow.
Personally I hate dried fruit but my DD loves it. As many vitamins and as little sugar as possible is what makes it more appealing to the people who buy it - parents!

Sokmonsta Wed 22-May-13 20:44:01

1. No, we don't always think of the '5' a day when packing up picnics. Mainly because my children are fruit monsters and are quite happy scoffing fruit in various forms. They allowed to make their choices from the ones we have already made.

2. We always have dried fruit products in the house. They are a quick and easy 'go to' snack and I love them for picnics as there's no damage/squashed fruit complaints.

3. I find packing a healthy picnic is one which is going to be eaten, rather than over thinking how healthy it has to be. The kids are going to be out running around in all that fresh air.

4. The packs of shaped fruit jellies from the fruit factory have been the biggest hit with my dc so I don't know how that can be improved upon. They know it's fruit but they love the heart/star shapes. And they don't get targeted by the lunchbox police either so are a fab 'change' from regular fruit.

PostBellumBugsy Thu 23-May-13 09:06:53

LOL Blu - far too damn cold for a picnic. Even by British standards!

iwantavuvezela Thu 23-May-13 10:49:46

I would normally let my child choose if I had a selection. But fruit would usually be part of our picnic, strawberries, apples etc.

yes, they are easy to pack, dont get squashed; doesnt go off if a hot day. We love all dried fruits and nuts, and usually try and have in the house for snacking.

There is normally a sandwich of some sorts; possibly a pasta/pesto; fruit; nuts, some biscuits; juice and water. To be honest I would usually just open the fridge and make do with what we had. If i had to prepare a special type of picnic then i would make more of an effort and perhaps take cooked cold chicken, cherry tomotoes and cucumbers; fresh bagels or rolls; berry type fruit; lovely biscuits or make a cake. HOwever if we are going to be in the park for awhile then it is always good to have some snacking stuff as the afternoon wears on, and for this i would do dried fruit; raisens, etc

I think that dried fruit is already appealing. i like the ability to buy big and small bags of dried fruit. I need to remind my daughter not to eat a full bag of dried apricots as it could effect her stomach later on. So smaller bags are easier to give out, and are seen as "little treats".

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

PolkaDotCups Thu 23-May-13 11:20:29

My daughter is a bit young to choose snacks but when we go on a family picnic with nieces and nephews we normally choose. As it is a treat we don't really consider the 5-a-day factor but will normally include bananas and apples.

No, occasionally raisins but no other dried fruit as it can have a very high sugar content and I am diabetic. If I'm going to indulge sugar wise I'd rather treat myself to a bit of cake!

Keep it varied and salad based. A pot of carrot batons, pepper strips and cucumber sticks with a hummus dip goes down a treat. A big pot of pasta with olives and tomato sauce is something everyone can dip into. We try and not take too much packaging.

Interesting packaging and nice taste! The sugar content places it in the treat category for me (I know they are naturally occurring) so I am wary of encouraging them to see it as a healthy alternative to an orange or apple in getting their 5-a-day.

Aussiemum84 Thu 23-May-13 11:54:09

When it comes to special treats like picnics, I like to try and keep the snacks healthy but also don't mind if something a bit 'naughty' sneaks in. Thankfully with a 2 y.o. I still get to pick what we pack.

Dried fruit is great for picnics and outings in general as they can be eaten over a longer period of time, e.g. if you peel a banana it can be hard to keep it edible while there are so many other distractions.

I like a bit of variety on a picnic so it can suit everyone's tastes on the day. With a toddler it is easier to have sandwiches pre-made and fruit cut at home so when it is time to eat they can be handed out instead of waiting for them to be made and having a hungry child convince you that junk food will be better as it is quicker. This is also why dried fruit is great, quick to hand out when they forget they are hungry while playing!

I have seen some fruit snacks wrapped so they give the look that they might be lollies, however it also makes me think they might not be as healthy so I am less likely to give them to my children. This does make it tricky for the companies. Lots of information on the boxes for the parents helps too. Fun shapes such as letters, numbers and animals.

wickeddevil Thu 23-May-13 14:12:28

Definitely include fruit and veg in picnics, just as I do with any other meal I prepare.
I am also a big believer in keeping it simple so my typical picnic would be
French stick
Pâté or cheese
Grapes, apples, tomatoes, cucumber
Crisps
Cake
Drink
For a treat strawberries and squirty cream

arcticwaffle Thu 23-May-13 14:14:38

I'd usually include a lot of fresh fruit, salad etc in a picnic. I do let my children help choose, especially if they're prepared to make the picnic - in fact if they do the preparation work they can put in practically anything.

No, but I do buy them for school packed lunches.

~ What are your top tips on packing a healthy picnic? Variety, lots of fruit and veg, I do insist on everyone eating the healthier stuff before the "treats".

My children find dried fruit snacks like humzingers extremely appealing. I don't think they need extra appeal. I don't mind them having them sometimes but only when we don't have fresh fruit and veg handy, or it might get squashed in a lunchbox. I wouldn't want them to be instead of fresh fruit.

dinkystinky Thu 23-May-13 15:26:35

My kids tend to get well beyond their 5 a day - but they do eat alot of fruit and veg in all meals (including breakfast and lunch anyway). Our picnics are fruit and veg heavy - I normally choose them but now my kids are getting older (4 and 7) they also suggest favourite things to take.

Not really - we do eat dried fruit and humzingers etc but they're more convenient fruit hits I can carry in my handbag/their school bags when running places between meals.

Eat seasonally - fresh fruit in season tastes divine. Salads - as lovely colourful and full of flavour as possible - always taste better outside.

I think Bear Foods do a good job with their yoyos - attractive packaging, interesting fact cards in side, and easy access for kids to open. I think those are the key things to appeal to kids.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 23-May-13 15:38:46

Picnics are no different to any other meal when considering nutrition, so there will be some fruit and/or veg in there.

We all liked dried fruit, and the children often have things like boxes of raisins and Humzingers in picnics.

I think companies do very well to encourage children to try dried fruit snacks. All the fancy, colourful packaging is very well designed.

Just a gripe I have with Humdinger Foods (who produce Humzingers) is that some of their products are very misleadingly packaged and placed alongside fruit snacks in supermarkets. Fruit Strings/Stars/Hearts are essentially sweets, but are branded in the same style as the boxes of raisins and positioned with the dried fruit rather than with the confectionery. I think they ought to be clearer about what those products actually are. Big love for your Humzingers though smile

Both kids adore fruit so trying to meet the required 5 a day fortunately isn't a problem. For a picnic I'd pack some fresh fruit - berries, bananas, satsuma s and maybe some dried fruit like raisins or dried apricots. I am not familiar with Humzingers at all but will definitely check them out next time I'm at the supermarket

FannyFifer Thu 23-May-13 16:17:50

The opportunities for picnics are few and far between to be honest.

When we do have one, I don't worry to much about healthy stuff, I would bring things like, sandwiches, mini sausage rolls, mini pizza, crisps, there will prob be a bit of salad & cheese, crusty bread etc, maybe fruit salad as well.

I usually have raisins, mini rice cakes & humzingers in my bag as handy for quick snack when out & about.

Was delighted to find Humzingers in the pound shop today. So stocked up, was a pack with apple ones that I hadn't seen before. (Poundland if anyone looking) grin

hammyhunter Thu 23-May-13 16:40:22

When you choose snacks to take on a picnic, is giving your children their 5-a-day a factor in your choices or not? And do you usually choose what snacks your children get on a picnic or do they choose themselves?

Fruit and veg are part and parcel of our everyday diet so they would automatically be included on a picnic. I would give my son a few choices and ask him what he wanted.

Yes, DS likes humzingers, boxes of raisins and small packs of dried fruit.

Make it fun! Cut sandwiches etc into silly shapes.

They have to taste good and my son tends to like packaging with bright colours, characters etc on.

moonbells Thu 23-May-13 16:40:40

We choose and yes, do try and get some fruit and veg in there. Things like carrot sticks and cucumber and other finger food are highly rated!

No, but that's because DS has some chalky teeth and the dentist has recommended no dried fruit or fruit juice until the adult teeth replace them. We have at least 5 more years of this!

Pittas, baton vegetables, hummus dips, nibble-sized sandwiches, bananas, cherry tomatoes (though again, not too many of the latter due to DS's teeth. I can eat them though! grin )

They need to be easy to open! Several well-known children's snacks you need a pair of good scissors to get in, never mind 'tear the notch' !

thebestpossibletaste Thu 23-May-13 17:08:50

Yes, I always make sure there are lots of berries and cherry tomatoes, cucumber, peppers etc. I also include something fun that is a bit of a treat like crisps.

No, not really.

Lots of fresh salad and fruit, nothing processed, just cold roast chicken, cold salmon, smoked salmon, home made dressing or mayonnaise, home made cookies or muffins, lots of salad and fruit, hard boiled eggs.

I think children quite like them being in cute little packs that look like fun, maybe mini versions, so smaller dates, smaller dried apricots. apart from that I don't think there's much they can do to be honest.

When we go on a picnic it tends to consist of whatever we have in the fridge/cupboards! However that always includes Humzingers. After contracting the rotavirus when she was 10 months old DD would only eat Humzingers (am pleased to report that at age 5 she now eats a varied diet - including Humzingers!) DS expects a Humzinger to get him through the school run... And they ate well known as contraband in our area after a well known Health Visitor stated that a whole Humzinger was " far too much as a snack" That particular HV still baffles the local community and is largely ignored!

janekirk Thu 23-May-13 22:40:30

I always include some mini bags of fruit in the cool box.
I like the sound of the fruit snacks, if they're packaged like sweet treats the little ones may be more enticed to try them.

daisybrown Thu 23-May-13 23:18:42

We usually make a fresh fruit salad to take with us, everyone tends to leave the fruits they don't like to one side though. A lot of the remaining food tends to be treat food so isn't that healthy.

nerysw Fri 24-May-13 07:42:31

We pack fruit, especially dried fruit as my kids seem to class these as 'as good as sweets' which is lucky as it makes it an easy way to get them to eat one of their five a day. Other favourites are bananas, tangerines and grapes. Instead of sandwiches we sometimes take cold cheese on toast which may sound weird but is nice!
I haven't come across Humzingers in the shops yet - are they available in most supermarkets? To make them more appealling - adding stickers is always a safe bet.

I pack the picnic , so I decide what goes in

No

My typical picnic is
Cheeses and picklie roll
Crisps
Pork pie
Kitkat / penguin
Apple

Small boxes / sachets of dried fruit , needs to be softish , no additives .
Maybe appeal to the Mums first , as the parents will be doing the buying

serendipity1980 Fri 24-May-13 09:24:53

I choose a variety of snacks for a picnic, nearly always homemade because then I know what has gone into it. We do always take fresh fruit,

I don't buy dried fruit for snacks because it's really expensive. I'd much rather give them fresh fruit. However, they do like the yoghurt covered raisins, I just don't generally buy them.

Making it yourself, and have everything in little bite size portions that the children can sample easily.

Make them look better than a dog's chew stick - the sticks don't look very appetising compared to a whole piece of fruit. My two LO's have tried the sticks but don't like them. They like yoghurt covered fruit though.

telsa Fri 24-May-13 10:12:37

When you choose snacks to take on a picnic, is giving your children their 5-a-day a factor in your choices or not? And do you usually choose what snacks your children get on a picnic or do they choose themselves?

5 a day is not so much a factor. Rather I buy predominantly what I perceive as healthy things without sugar and additives. So lets of fruit, vegetables, nuts, dips, breadsticks or crackers. Plus some cheese in some form, sometimes baby bels, preferably something more tasty, if I have a knife on me.

yes, I have bought Humzingers, but usually buy some dried mango pieces or some organic apple rings.

stick with fruit and veg and get stuff as little processed as possible.

Colourful and glittery packaging, variety of flavours in one pack.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now