Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

NOW CLOSED: Toes out? Sandals on? How do you prepare? Share tips and experiences with Clarks and you could win one of ten pairs of their gorgeous summer sandals!

(213 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 14-May-13 14:52:13

Hello

We've been asked by the team at Clarks to get you talking about the (sometimes) dreaded first time you get your sandals on for spring/ summer....if it's not here yet - it is coming!

Share your thoughts on this thread and you'll be entered into a prize draw where ten lucky winners will get a free pair of shoes.

So, have you got your feet out for summer yet? Is it a 2 stage process for you (tops of feet and then toes) or do you go for the full sandal straight away? Or do you NEVER bare all? grin

What's your favourite type of sandal? Flat and relaxed, a height-boosting wedge or maybe a strappy number?

What date or occasion did you you/ will you do it? Does it need to be a special occasion?

Do you have a pamper ritual before getting your feet out? What it is? Full scrub, pedicure or a quick slick of a nude varnish? Share your tips (please!)

If your feet never see the UK sun, why not?

And if they're out all year round and look ok how do you manage it?

~~~~~

Clarks have a bigger promotion running at the moment and there are chances to win some lovely prizes by checking out their comps on instagram and Facebook. On Instagram they want you to tweet a picture of your sandals with the hashtag #FreeYourFeet and you could win £500 worth of Mr & Mrs Smith vouchers and £150 worth of Clarks shoes, whilst on FB you could win one of five pairs of shoes simply by answering their sandal survey. Check out the links for full details and T&Cs.

In the meantime please do share your experiences on this thread.

Thanks and good luck.

MNHQ

MrsMaryCooper Wed 15-May-13 19:35:23

It has to be properly warm before I move to sandals. Soap & Glory foot file and Heel Genius a couple of times before lift off. A pale- ish colour usually . I have birkenstocks and I'm looking for a smarter pair to wear to work.

ThePskettiIncident Wed 15-May-13 19:36:23

Cracked heel balm first and not much dressing up! I don't like nail varnish!

I prefer practical sandals that I can wear on the beach and plod about in all day long. Evening sandals are wedges with a strap preferably. Comfort is key!

Awks Wed 15-May-13 19:54:05

I do prepare but being a lazy cow it doesn't involve much effort. I'm lucky enough to live by the sea so from May onwards I walk the dog barefoot on the sand. It isn't as hardcore as it sounds, I leave my shoes on the slipway and just wander along the beach barefoot. The salt and the sand help and rough skin. I paint my nails quite often as I like toes looking pretty and I slather moisturiser on every night.

Sandals have to be easy to get on as I cant bear sweating in the holiday heat trying to fasten complicated ones on. So the low block heel, t bar type are my current faves. In tan.

I rarely get my feet out - they're always too cold! (I wear 2 pairs of socks most of the year). If I'm somewhere hot, or it gets really hot here, I like wearing sandals or flip flops. I don't do anything more than trim my toenails in preparation though. (too lazy/given up - I've accepted that my feet are never going to be attractive!)
I like practical sandals that I can walk a god distance in, but I want them to look good too - nothing too clumpy or orthopaedic looking.

I've had ballet flats without socks on a couple of times and sandals twice so far this year. I'm back in boots this week though!

Favourite sandals = a small wedge and ideally a bit of cushioning. Tan is my favourite colour for summer, or a non tarty red.

Pampering chez Remus = copious amounts of Flexitol and the Soap and Glory foot file and red, grey or blush toe nail polish.

I have some lovely sandals from Clarks that I wear every year when it's nice enough weather. I go for comfort every time as a back problem means I always wear flats.

In terms of preparation, I have very dry feet, so use cracked heel cream all over the soles to get them presentable. I always have painted toenails and use a top coat, which not only makes my nail varnish dry in seconds (yes, really), it also ensures it lasts for about 3 weeks (I'm far too lazy busy to do them every week).

No ritual at all. If it's warm, I wear sandals. Anyone doesn't like it, that's their problem. Got dodgy feet, so sandals need to be comfortable and supportive. If they can also be not ugly, that's a bonus!

beanandspud Wed 15-May-13 22:37:32

I love the first day of the year that my flip flops come out. I have a pair of Rockport sandals/flip flops that I have worn for years as well as several pairs of leather flip flops in assorted colours. For work I have some heeled sandals and wedges. Given a choice I'll be wearing them through to November.

I try to look after my feet and have regular pedicures with mostly red polish all year round.

birdsofshoreandsea Thu 16-May-13 08:48:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I just put my sandals on with no care in the world about my crusty unpainted toes, unless I'm feeling particularly joyful I will paint them a nice shade of pink and stick a bit of foot cream on.
I like flip flops, pumps, gladiator sandles and strappy flats, no good in heels as I walk like a penguin in themgrin

TisILeclerc Thu 16-May-13 09:49:55

This is a conspiracy... Clarks get me talking and thinking about sandals and then email me a 20% off code... grin

Consils Thu 16-May-13 11:12:11

I don't think about my feet although I had a pedicure a month ago and they looked ok.

Hopezibah Thu 16-May-13 11:45:36

Comfort is number one for me when wearing sandals. So I prefer them to be quite supportive as possible with a proper heel.

I like to paint my toes in the summer months but don't really do much else. Thankfully once the sun gets to my feet that bit of colour helps them look and feel better anyway.

I tend to save sandals for really warm days or to match particular outfits.

Now come on sunshine - where are you!!!

I really don't "get" all the stuff about preparing your feet. Not sure whether I'm just lucky not to have much trouble with mine, or what? I just don't see what is so hideous about my feet in their normal state. Yes, I make sure my nails are kept trimmed (but all year, not just specially for the summer confused) and if they're getting particularly dry I might slap on some moisturiser (but again, that's all year round), but I really don't see the need to do more and don't think there's anything particularly scary about them. I do insist on only wearing comfy footwear though (not ugly stuff, but comfortable cool boots or nice trainers rather than painful heels), so maybe that helps.

I can't say I usually tend to notice other people's feet particularly either, unless they have something really unusually bad about them. Do people really wander round checking out other people's feet?

Wilding Thu 16-May-13 13:00:34

My toenails are polished all year round (fluorescent pink, normally!) and I occasionally use a Ped Egg to get rid of dry skin, but that's it. I don't do anything special for summer. I know this is a bit boring!

I normally just wear flatties in the summer as I do a lot of walking around, but I do love massive wedges!

BringOn2014 Thu 16-May-13 13:32:53

I love wearing sandals but rarely have the chance to being in Scotland!
I went on honeymoon last year to St Lucia and got about 5 new pairs of sandals to take.
I only wear flats during the day but heels for evening.
I like to smother my feet in foot cream and put on socks overnight, feet are always baby soft in the morning!
I think sandals always look nicer with polished nails but I often stick to clear because Im not very good at applying nail polish.

Puppypoppet Thu 16-May-13 13:50:10

My pedicure consists of file with scholl foot file, then I use their hard skin remover it is like a scrub and it works pretty well. I then apply moisturiser put cotton socks on and leave overnight. Then I paint nails the next day.
I like all sandals but if I had to chose I would probably go for comfortable flatties.

Blatherskite Thu 16-May-13 14:26:59

So, have you got your feet out for summer yet? Is it a 2 stage process for you (tops of feet and then toes) or do you go for the full sandal straight away? Or do you NEVER bare all?

I've worn flip flops once already this year. I'd love to say I did a full file and pedicure beforehand but a) I just don't have the time and b) I always find myself surprised by nice days and have never remembered to prepare anyway. I keep my toenails tidy and apply Flexitol when I remember - nails are even varnished and chipped at the moment but it's a rare luxury.

What's your favourite type of sandal? Flat and relaxed, a height-boosting wedge or maybe a strappy number?

I'm only 5'1" so high boosting are always good but day to day, flats are best for running around after the children.

What date or occasion did you you/ will you do it? Does it need to be a special occasion?

I don't really like my feet so I tend to avoid sandals whenever possible. I'll only resort to them when it's just too hot for shoes.

Do you have a pamper ritual before getting your feet out? What it is? Full scrub, pedicure or a quick slick of a nude varnish? Share your tips (please!)

If I remember, they'll get a scrub with a foot file, a nail trim and file, cream and varnish.

If your feet never see the UK sun, why not?

My feet are yucky. I broke a toe as a child and it never set right so now it's bent and ugly. I also <shame> have to make sure my big toes have been plucked blush #hobbitfeet

Belo Thu 16-May-13 14:36:25

My feet are normally in good condition after a winter of wearing socks and shoes. So, all is needed for me is to make sure my nails are trimmed, cuticles conditioned and some colourful nailvarnish is on. It is when I start wearing sandals/flip flops that the heels dry out and start to crack if I don't regularly give them a good file and moisturise. I like to use the scholl foot scrub, then put cream on before bed, and then sleep with socks on. My feet always feel a lot better in the morning.

Fillybuster Thu 16-May-13 14:39:45

I got far too excited about the nice weather in early May and got my toes ready already....appears to be wasted effort now that the woolly tights have come back out smile

After years of ignoring the parlous state of my feet, I now treat myself to a 'proper' pedicure at the beginning of summer - it takes nearly 2 hours, but once they've removed the hard skin from my hooves feet, cut the claws back into nails and made everything look tidy, then I can manage a reasonable level of maintenance with a good scrub, some nice polish and a pumice stone for quite some time after.

As for which sandals, and when - anything that doesn't have a high heel, preferably something with a wedge, at any point!

is1 Thu 16-May-13 14:41:28

I use scholl heel repair on my feet pretty much all year round which keeps them soft then just paint my nails when it is time for sandals. I only like wearing them when it is really warm weather though as my feet get too cold! I like all types of sandals, but usually go for flats in the day and wedges at night.

supergreenuk Thu 16-May-13 14:58:45

Moisturise heels at night.
Lovely nail varnish.
Yes pretty flip flops if I'm not doing too much walking but i have clarks sandles for the pre school walk.

Teladi Thu 16-May-13 15:32:32

I've graduated to flats without socks at the moment, it's still too cold for sandals, my feet would freeze!

Sandals only get worn if my toenails are painted. Other than that people can deal with the sight of my feet!

I don't do heels, and as I don't drive, any footwear HAS to be comfortable for walking... with the exception of days where I am cycling, then I change at the office. Heels are OK then but I only own 1 pair of heels really.

feelthis Thu 16-May-13 15:47:28

Even though I live in the brisk north of Scotland I've already had my feet out. You got to any chance you get here.

I quick coat of varnish on the nails is about all I can run too - feet feel naked without varnish so wouldn't get them out without it!

Favourite sandal is a leather flipflop style with a small heel - much easier to walk in than a totally flat shoe.

elizaco Thu 16-May-13 16:18:27

I'm afraid I don't do much foot prep for summer! Usually just apply some nice nail varnish, and hope people don't look too closely at my feet!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now