This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED: Toes out? Sandals on? How do you prepare? Share tips and experiences with Clarks and you could win one of ten pairs of their gorgeous summer sandals!

(213 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 14-May-13 14:52:13

Hello

We've been asked by the team at Clarks to get you talking about the (sometimes) dreaded first time you get your sandals on for spring/ summer....if it's not here yet - it is coming!

Share your thoughts on this thread and you'll be entered into a prize draw where ten lucky winners will get a free pair of shoes.

So, have you got your feet out for summer yet? Is it a 2 stage process for you (tops of feet and then toes) or do you go for the full sandal straight away? Or do you NEVER bare all? grin

What's your favourite type of sandal? Flat and relaxed, a height-boosting wedge or maybe a strappy number?

What date or occasion did you you/ will you do it? Does it need to be a special occasion?

Do you have a pamper ritual before getting your feet out? What it is? Full scrub, pedicure or a quick slick of a nude varnish? Share your tips (please!)

If your feet never see the UK sun, why not?

And if they're out all year round and look ok how do you manage it?

~~~~~

Clarks have a bigger promotion running at the moment and there are chances to win some lovely prizes by checking out their comps on instagram and Facebook. On Instagram they want you to tweet a picture of your sandals with the hashtag #FreeYourFeet and you could win £500 worth of Mr & Mrs Smith vouchers and £150 worth of Clarks shoes, whilst on FB you could win one of five pairs of shoes simply by answering their sandal survey. Check out the links for full details and T&Cs.

In the meantime please do share your experiences on this thread.

Thanks and good luck.

MNHQ

VenusRising Tue 14-May-13 18:55:15

I wear sandals as soon as the temp goes above 15 degrees!

I have a year long routine of scrub every week and intense moisturise and then I trim my nails and oil cuticles.

When the sun shines, I apply a fab pop of coloured nail varnish, and I'm good to go.

I have never worn any shoes which were uncomfortable, and always buy leather shoes, so my feet are very soft, and toes all straight, no hard skin, and no bunions. I'm lucky to have two feet, and love all my sandals: flats, wedges, and strappy ones.

scarlet76 Tue 14-May-13 18:58:31

My feet are rather ruined by my long distance running. My feet have been called 'gnarled old trotters' on more than one occasion.
Therefore getting my feet sandal ready is a bit of an operation!!
I moisturise and use a foot file to ensure the soles of my feet and soft. Holiday strolls on a sandy beach also help.
I keep my toenails neat and painted. This summer I am all about neon pink polish.
As soon as it is warm enough, I like a peeptoe low wedge shoe. If it ever actually gets hot then I wear low wedge strappy sandals. This year I am tempted to give the block heel sandals I've seen a go.

Fairylea Tue 14-May-13 19:03:13

When I dare to bare my feet I soak them in a bowl filled with hot bubble bath and a drop of lavender oil. Makes them smell really fresh and feel lovely. smile

Then I use rimmel nail rescue on all the nails first and then a really bright summery coral or pink colour on the nails.

My favourite sandals are ones that are flat and hold my feet well so I can do loads of walking with ds enjoying the sunshine in the buggy... if we ever get any sun!!!

KristinaM Tue 14-May-13 19:40:14

I am also a runner but try to take care of my feet so no black toe nails here

I use the soap and glory foot file and felixitol cream, both recommended here on mumsnet. And always a bright polish, even though I wear a tasteful nude on my hands.

So I'm all set for summer , when it finally arrives here in Scotland

majjsu Tue 14-May-13 19:40:24

Exfoliate and moisturise feet, add a dash of fake tan so not glaringly white, followed by a bright colour on my nails. I love flats for casual and wedges for being more glam.

It has to be pretty warm and dry for me to wear proper open/strappy sandals, I hate having cold feet. That said, when (if?) it warms up I live in mine (flat, normally erring towards gladiotor style but not full-on, if that makes sense. I want them to be secure and comfortable but not too boring).

Main things for me to get my feet 'sandal ready' are:

- smooth dry skin on my heels (i've started using a scholl foot file thing before showering and then lots of moisturiser after, and it's helping a lot)
- keep toenails short and paint them with a nice bright colour
- shave my hairy toes grin

My Sandals are the clarks kestral soar in tan bought them last year and never had them off, I've been getting my feet ready these last few weeks again, I've been using my foot file and flexitol heel balm, currently have bright pink toenails but change them on a weekly basis.

sharond101 Tue 14-May-13 21:09:41

So, have you got your feet out for summer yet? Is it a 2 stage process for you (tops of feet and then toes) or do you go for the full sandal straight away? Or do you NEVER bare all?

I rarely bare all and have not done this year yet, it's too cold.

What's your favourite type of sandal? Flat and relaxed, a height-boosting wedge or maybe a strappy number?
I like a strappy number with a heel but not always practical so usually opt for fit flops instead.

What date or occasion did you you/ will you do it? Does it need to be a special occasion?
I last wore mine at my Sister's wedding but if it's warm I will wear them all the time.

Do you have a pamper ritual before getting your feet out? What it is? Full scrub, pedicure or a quick slick of a nude varnish? Share your tips (please!)
Scrub and lather with lotion as soon as it looks like the sun might shine. Never lotion between the toes though.

If your feet never see the UK sun, why not?
There is no sun!

And if they're out all year round and look ok how do you manage it?
They are not out all year but a good foot cream is vital.

CurlyKiwiControl Tue 14-May-13 21:19:32

Its warm enough now to get my feet out - currently pregnant so running hot!

I like my toenails to be the same colour polish as my finger nails, looks neater.

I don't think my feet are too bad, a bit moisturizer and regular trim and polish is enough.

I like sandals to be comfy, eg sole not too thin as my foot hurts, able to walk far, yet also drive in them.

Never worn Clarks shoes before, but I think they have a reputation for being comfy - and I think there are some quite stylish ones available nowadays from links on here I've noticed - at 25 I think most of my peers would be pleasantly suprised by this! Would love to win and see the reactions anyway smile

Oodsigma Tue 14-May-13 21:24:16

I alternate between DMs and fitflops and not a lot else. If its warm I'm in fitflops & cold/raining DMs. I need to make more effort with my feet. Dh used to do my nails but webgot put of the habit.

lupo Tue 14-May-13 21:28:47

I use moisturiser and foot scrub to prepare my feet for summer. For me, sandals are a sign that summer has finally begun. Love love Clarks wedge sandals in tan or brown, go with everything dressed up or down.

MyFunDay Tue 14-May-13 21:32:39

I lived in hot countries for a few years and loved wearing sandals all the time. When I came back to Britain, my feet felt so confined in having to wear shoes for the most of the year.

Before I get my toes out for the first time in my sandals, I get a professional pedi for an extra boost of confidence and an excuse for a pamper session. I do DIY pedi for the rest of summer.

I have a favourite pair of Simple sandals that I bought about twelve years ago. They come out every year and they are admired by all, younger and older women. Despite being so old (the shoes, not me!) and being abused (walking in streams, getting stuck in a muddy field etc), they still look good and are comfortable to boot (see what I did there?).

domesticslattern Tue 14-May-13 21:38:32

oooh the possibility of winning some new shoes!

No-one in their right minds has got their feet out for summer today. But, when it comes, I'll be wearing something flat and comfy which I can run for the bus in. Birkies probably but not averse to something from Clarks. I was once evacuated from a 28 story tower block and believe me, the only kinds of shoes or sandals I wear now are comfortable ones. I'll get a proper pedi at the start of the season or before holidays- red, always red- and try to keep it going myself at home.

VerySmallSqueak Tue 14-May-13 21:46:43

Sandals come out the minute it is warm enough.I've been wearing them a few weeks.
I don't do anything special footcare-wise - just the usual toenail cutting and hacking off the dry skin with a cleaver. I also walk around at home bare foot to get my soles accustomed to the sudden exposure.
I wear mainly footbed sandals or walking sandals because I am on my feet all day,either working or walking.I believe that there are plenty of nice looking but practical sandals.

fie181 Tue 14-May-13 21:56:43

Epiderm skin cream. Like lard but with some socks overnight feet are lovely and soft. Always always always have polish on. Any colour and make but currently Chanel in pinky cerise is petered choice for my 3 year old and I. Currently sporting a pair of flat Clark sandals (brown flat comfy with a couple of jewels on) need a wedge to up date and upgrade.

jackstini Tue 14-May-13 22:04:11

A good foot filing then gel polish on - lasts for weeks meaning I don't need to worry even if we only get 10 nice days in a couple of months - my toes are always ready!

Had sandals on a couple of times this year and then ended up back in boots for a few days

I like a low wedge - flat are not comfortable at all for me

CabbageLeaves Tue 14-May-13 22:05:40

I nearly always where footwear I can walk in and in winter that means boots so my feet are kept in good nick. Summer is when I develop rough skin.

I paint my nails then don sandals.... That's about it really.

I've never in my life worn stiletto sandals. Mid heel at most. I'm currently looking for walking sandals

I feel I should point out I am quite feminine (honest) but footwear must fit my active life.

If your feet never see the UK sun, why not?. Because its a myth that we have sun in the uk

YoniOno Tue 14-May-13 22:10:30

I think I have lovely feet smile I do my own nail polish and do so all year round - red all winter and various coral / turquoise / bubblegum pink shades in the summer. I had my very first salon pedicure last week, a surprise from my lovely SiL, and curse her because it might be an addiction.... not sure the polish job is any better than I'd do myself tbh and all the sandpapering stuff was just confused but it was so luxurious, so relaxing I actually cried in there. Therapist must think I'm a bit mad but hey ho.

I think of my feet the same way as underwear I think - a bit private and a bit sort of naked - I wouldn't only do my bikini line in summer so why only sort your feet out then?

scottishmummy Tue 14-May-13 22:15:37

I regularly use soap and glory foot products,apply diprobase then socks
I like Sandals if hot but it's too wet and chilly
I like flat,strappy types

Nehru Tue 14-May-13 22:17:41

go to a chiropodist - really
Use fleixitol thereafter

then use the Lloyds corn remover ( aka cheese slicing razor) as its AMAZING

TSSDNCOP Tue 14-May-13 22:22:36

I've already bought Clarks Deva in white.

I've got my toenails painted with Nails Inc silver polish to compliment them!

A quick swipe with exfoliator once a week, followed by daily dose of Nivea body lotion all through the winter. As soon as the temperature reached "tights off" I bought Sally Hansen Air Brush legs on recomendation from S&B.

That's me good to go!

Nehru Tue 14-May-13 22:28:28

id like clarks to address the AGONY that their shoes the angelica slice left my fee in!

A refund would be nice - worn once

IrritatingInfinity Tue 14-May-13 22:34:27

My feet come out in the warm weather.

I have super wide feet so am quite restricted to which shoes I can wear. Some wide fit shoes can be a bit granny'ish (no offence to the grannies) but I can get nice ones from Clarks.

I treat my feet year round for hard skin (pumice plus elbow grease) so they are usually presentable at anytime. I also use a foot cream. I don't varnish my nails so there is no special prep needed for the warm weather.

I love high shoes and think wedges look much better on wide feet rather than heels. I also dress fairly casually so wedges are suit my stlye. My favourite shoes EVER were from a few years back. They were wedges with beige suede, they were amazingly comfortable and high.

I also like flats for when I am walking a long wat. My DD has the same size shoes so she has started borrowing mine. She buys trendy cool ones then sneaks mine because they are comfy ....

SmileItsSunny Tue 14-May-13 22:35:27

Prepare? I don't.

eyestightshut Tue 14-May-13 22:35:43

I moisturise my feet every day, for fear that Cod will be behind me on an escalator, sneering at my dry, cracked heels.
I prefer a flat sandal, and painted toenails -I favour corals, red or bright pinks.
In terms of foot prep, it's a very unglamorous affair - getting rid of my corns and shaving my toes grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now