Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Do you have an unloved room in your home that's crying out for a revamp? Or one that you've revamped recently? Share your tales and pics with B&Q to win a £150 gift card - NOW CLOSED

(93 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-May-13 10:50:46

Hot on the heels of recruiting 20 MNers to revamp a room, B&Q want to hear from all MNers who've got a room revamp story, or a tale of woe about a room that's in desperate need of a makeover.

Everyone who shares their story and/or photos on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £150 B&Q gift card.

~ Do you have a room in your home that you've revamped recently? If so, please share your story and ideally post your before and after shots on this thread (instructions on how to upload photos below)

~ Do you have a room that's crying out for a spruce up? Please share details, and preferably a photo of your unloved room here, and tell us what you'd like to do with that room in an ideal world.

We're talking about anything from updating with new cushions and curtains to painting and wallpapering etc.

Please note that any stories or photos you share on this thread may appear on B&Q's pages on Mumsnet and potentially elsewhere.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!
MNHQ

Pinkyorkbunny Wed 29-May-13 08:43:45

B&Q, please please please pick ifindoubtnamechange I could not imagine what it's like to still have your DD in your room at 2. Every little child deserves a room of their own and every grown up needs a place to escape on a night.

Loving the woodland theme you have picked out, we were boring and just went with pink!

Hopezibah Wed 29-May-13 21:56:49

We have recently done up our kitchen with B&Q units and work surface and are really pleased with the result! Our old kitchen was so dark, old and grotty that I have searched high and low and can't find any 'before' photos as we never wanted to take photos in there.

Now we have a simple, yet sophisticated colour scheme of black and white and for a while I couldn't believe it was my own new kitchen as it is so lovely I felt like I was living in a show home!

With the extra 'breakfast bar' area it gives my 7 year old son plenty of room for cooking which he loves to do.

tgroom57 Thu 30-May-13 08:46:12

Is this still open - I couldn't see the closing date ?

tgroom57 Thu 30-May-13 08:53:36

My bad - as part of the 'decorating' when we were on tight budget I pasted a poster onto the wall. It was the map of hundred acre wood. Maybe your teenager could pick a beach themed poster for his room. 'Beach' can mean a lot of very different things! and pasting is a whole lot easier than hanging it as a 'picture'

tgroom57 Thu 30-May-13 10:30:14

I'm living in a warehouse / garage / hangar shed - well that's what it feels like sad My 2 daughters have both grown and left home, and variously came back to live -one's living with me now in a cramped 10'6 x 7' that was once their shared bedroom. (At least the 'decor' is still intact for that room) I didn't plan on staying long when I moved in, so 'only' put in a new kitchen & d/glazing, thinking the bathroom would be good for another 5 years. It was, but that was 10 years ago. Added to which my storage situation has burgeoned - the daughter that doesn't live with me down-sized last year and I got the outfall.

So here's where we were 10 years ago My_House
and still are now, minus the car.
Also a link to
Work Required for a photo of our bathroom which most urgently needs the services of a plumber, not to mention a bath panel (can DIY panel myself)

but tbh, if I had £150 I would get a lockable shed for the lawnmower, currently sitting menacingly in a corner of my living room. I've got room for small shed round the side of the house - see plan of the garden. Or maybe the heavy duty electric cable for a shower over the bath...

manfalou Thu 30-May-13 11:34:18

My partner thought it would be a good idea to build the conservatory himself instead of going through a company. Great idea! However... it was built in February 2009 and it still isn't finished. Along came children and funds ran out. The wall has all electrical wires visible as we havnt plastered the wall yet and (I think you can just see behind the mini radiator) We don't have windowsills so there is very sharp brick edges all around the room and a big gap with spiders and horrid things in between the layers of brick. With a 2 year old and 6 week old we still don't have the funds to finish the room and we can't use it with the kids as it just isn't safe =(

eteo Sat 01-Jun-13 22:52:45

Recently, I had paint my toilet. This is the before photo.

eteo Sat 01-Jun-13 22:54:16

we went to buy the green lime and white paint from b&q. this is the after photo.

eteo Sat 01-Jun-13 22:55:13

This is the during photo

I've been doing our dining room - a real 'nothing' of a room that's just a dumping ground for all my hoarding! Technically it's not finished as I'm about to hire a floor sander so I can get the manky old carpet up and redo the original floorboards underneath. I'm looking forward to it although I've never done it before!

Attached are a few photos. The before (the walls were a pale yellow in this dark, north-facing room, a BIG mistake).

This is the after photo. I'm so in love with this green!

And an unexpected boon - the door (like several in our house) still has the 60's panels covering it. We've long suspected that it could be an original door, so took the opportunity to take the panels off. This is how it looked before...

And this is after! I was so excited to see it was indeed the original door underneath! The door is currently with a professional being stripped as the paint is lead so there was no way I was going to do it myself.

We were so excited by this we tried to take the panels off the living room door - alas it isn't an original sad. So we are getting a replacement for it that will match the originals we still have. This DIY business is addictive I tell you! grin

tgroom57 Sat 08-Jun-13 21:53:34

Bathroom now - plan is for new bath panel (mdf & paint), bit of decorating behind the toilet, and a shower over the bath - for which we already have the rail and curtain.

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 13-Jun-13 16:21:11

Hi all - thanks for posting your stories and photos here - B&Q asked me to pass on this message:

"Thank you for all your photos and messages about your Unloved Rooms - if you are ever in need of inspiration or advice then please check out our Mumsnet hub for more ideas."

I'm pleased to announce that the winner of the prize draw is...

smokinaces

Congratulations - a £150 B&Q giftcard is yours! I'll PM you to get your details.

Mum2DaisyAndAlfie Mon 17-Jun-13 13:30:29

I moved in my house 9 months and the whole house needs doing so far I have done 3 rooms. This is my living room before

Mum2DaisyAndAlfie Mon 17-Jun-13 13:31:35

And this is after

Mum2DaisyAndAlfie Mon 17-Jun-13 13:32:51

My next room in the hallway and at the minute it's dark purple and needs lighting up so would live b&q to help with this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now