This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Do you have an unloved room in your home that's crying out for a revamp? Or one that you've revamped recently? Share your tales and pics with B&Q to win a £150 gift card - NOW CLOSED

(93 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-May-13 10:50:46

Hot on the heels of recruiting 20 MNers to revamp a room, B&Q want to hear from all MNers who've got a room revamp story, or a tale of woe about a room that's in desperate need of a makeover.

Everyone who shares their story and/or photos on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £150 B&Q gift card.

~ Do you have a room in your home that you've revamped recently? If so, please share your story and ideally post your before and after shots on this thread (instructions on how to upload photos below)

~ Do you have a room that's crying out for a spruce up? Please share details, and preferably a photo of your unloved room here, and tell us what you'd like to do with that room in an ideal world.

We're talking about anything from updating with new cushions and curtains to painting and wallpapering etc.

Please note that any stories or photos you share on this thread may appear on B&Q's pages on Mumsnet and potentially elsewhere.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!
MNHQ

HannahLI Fri 17-May-13 16:05:15

We have a nursery that we just never got around to sorting and it has become this mismatch room and a storage room. It really needs some new furniture that fits our needs with storage as part of that to make it more useable and I would love to decorate and put something nice on the walls too.

YonicTheHedgehog Fri 17-May-13 16:52:38

We moved from a new build into an old house a year ago. EVERYTHING is broken and every room needs doing, we'll get there in the end though!

YonicTheHedgehog Fri 17-May-13 16:55:29

Oh and we have a plastic avocado bath.

THERhubarb Fri 17-May-13 17:08:24

Please can everyone stop posting so that I can win the vouchers?

grin

arcticwaffle Fri 17-May-13 18:01:59

Every room in our house has been revamped since we moved in. Here's the unloved staircase before the revamp - a 3m steep loft ladder to our bedroom, + several other bits of carpeted stair to other bedrooms.

arcticwaffle Fri 17-May-13 18:02:38

Here's another bit of the unloved staircase complex

arcticwaffle Fri 17-May-13 18:03:09

And this is the revamped staircase with new walls and window.

weenwee Fri 17-May-13 19:08:06

Is this a nursery? A storage room? You're both right!

When we considered moving kid into his own room, I was in the middle of my first year of MBA, and over time...well, other things got in the way. And now we have no storage, no bloody organization, and no idea where to start! C'mon B&Q, I need to sort this out before he goes off to Uni!

nevergoogle Sat 18-May-13 21:01:04

here's my unloved living room.

Cherrybright Mon 20-May-13 10:02:48

We moved in here just over a year ago, and two of the bedrooms were in the same way. They had woodchip wallpaper, yellowy patchy ceiling. There was horrible carpet, that looks like a cats attacked. There was an old head board attached to the wall on each room. We had to take them off to fit furniture in, and in the room thats not been redecorated has a different coloured patch where the head board was, with big h

Cherrybright Mon 20-May-13 10:05:25

Oops posted too soon, with holes in the wall.
It made a made a massive difference redoing the 1 room, we just need to do yhe other unloved room now!

Cherrybright Mon 20-May-13 10:16:47

When we did the 1 room, we stripped the walls, and filled the holes, but there was so many bumps that we had to put lining paper up, which we painted over and made a feature wall. We changed all the handles on the doors and built in cupboards. We also bought some silvery curtains ( from b&q which matched our feature wall smile its lovely in there now.

emily80 Mon 20-May-13 13:44:26

We've just redecorated our kitchen, I don't have any 'before' photos, but it was all wood panelled, so we've taken all that out, had it all replastered and then basically had to start everything from scratch. We did most of it ourselves, and it's taken nearly 5 months, but is just about done now!!

yawningbear Tue 21-May-13 08:44:36

We moved into our house last September, this was the 7 th home Dd has lived in and she is only 4. She had been promised that when we moved to a permanent house she would be able to choose the colour. She went for hot pink on all the walls but fortunately was open to negotiations.

The cabin bed was £50 on Gumtree, and the furniture from charity shops and painted up. It's still a work in progress, She has a very sweet old wardrobe that is due to be up cycled next.

yawningbear Tue 21-May-13 08:46:14

I made the pin board from a frame from eBay, cork tiles covered in pretty fabric.

yawningbear Tue 21-May-13 08:49:15

We painted the drawers and handles of the chest of drawers which had been £20 from a charity shop. We ran out of steam and still haven't painted the frame but it looks cute like this I think. Dd helped with the wall stickers. That took a long, long time to finish!

yawningbear Tue 21-May-13 08:52:11

Another painted second hand chest, picture made from fabric stretched over a canvas and wardrobe that still needs some attention.

Now we just have the rest of the house up do grin

yawningbear Tue 21-May-13 08:53:32

Bugger, my photos are sideways, sorry blush

CatOfTheDay Thu 23-May-13 20:30:42

We've just bought a house in need of a complete revamp - it's been unloved for quite a few years now and needs turning back from a house into a home.

I want to start with the garden!

DENMAN03 Sun 26-May-13 19:31:34

Ok, I have done most of my house now ( it was a very unloved victorian semi), however the biggest transformation has to be the garden... Ive spent many an hour in B & Q I can tell you!
Before Shot...

DENMAN03 Sun 26-May-13 19:35:29

...and now...

DENMAN03 Sun 26-May-13 19:38:11

different view..

Reastie Sun 26-May-13 20:56:55

wow denman envy

DENMAN03 Sun 26-May-13 21:22:54

Thank you Reastie! Its been a labour of love!

ifindoubtnamechange Tue 28-May-13 22:23:12

Gutted not to have been picked!
DD is nearly 2, still in our room as her room is full of junk, under which lies some very sad, dated decor. The plan is to redecorate and for DP to paint some animals, maybe a woodland scene. Remains a plan for now due to lack of funds but am looking forward to the day we can do it. Also because we will get our room back - even though we will miss DD when she's down the hall.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now