Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Do you have an unloved room in your home that's crying out for a revamp? Or one that you've revamped recently? Share your tales and pics with B&Q to win a £150 gift card - NOW CLOSED

(93 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-May-13 10:50:46

Hot on the heels of recruiting 20 MNers to revamp a room, B&Q want to hear from all MNers who've got a room revamp story, or a tale of woe about a room that's in desperate need of a makeover.

Everyone who shares their story and/or photos on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £150 B&Q gift card.

~ Do you have a room in your home that you've revamped recently? If so, please share your story and ideally post your before and after shots on this thread (instructions on how to upload photos below)

~ Do you have a room that's crying out for a spruce up? Please share details, and preferably a photo of your unloved room here, and tell us what you'd like to do with that room in an ideal world.

We're talking about anything from updating with new cushions and curtains to painting and wallpapering etc.

Please note that any stories or photos you share on this thread may appear on B&Q's pages on Mumsnet and potentially elsewhere.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!
MNHQ

firawla Tue 14-May-13 16:58:50

We have just done one of the boys bedrooms (which 2 of them share). It hadn't been done since we moved in and was looking horrible, still with all outdated wall paper and they had broke their beds too so looked awful. Now we just painted it couple of weeks ago and put new furniture and blind, it is looking so much nicer! Dont have a pic on me now, can take one later.
The other boy is still waiting to have his done!

smokinaces Tue 14-May-13 17:01:37

And to not be afraid of colour. My last house was all browns and muted neutral colours.

This house I've started adding greens and blues. Just little bits, in accessories or features, but the colour makes such a difference.

And yes to storage!! I love IKEA for their units.

nevergoogle Tue 14-May-13 23:16:33

Notified! Recruited! and very excited! grin

If it's any consolation to those who didn't get chosen you can help me choose how to decorate my unloved living room.

We bought our house in January as a shared ownership property to get us on the property ladder and the decorating piggy bank was non existent and we've done nothing yet although MIL has recently bought us some curtains.

The whole room and skirting boards and coving need a paint job. They're all bashed and paint missing.

We need lots of shelves, and lighting and pictures on the walls and some sort of storage.

Bring it on!

JakeBullet Wed 15-May-13 07:07:11

Looking forward to seeing the transformations. I didn't get picked but wanted to do my garden.....maybe B&Q looked at the weather forecast....howling wind and rain here hmm. Have actually got my bloody heating back on.

THERhubarb Wed 15-May-13 09:35:58

nevergoogle - send us before pics!

Do you get an email to say you haven't been picked too? I haven't heard either way.

Puppypoppet Wed 15-May-13 09:50:03

Whole house has been a renovation project but DDs bedroom is one room we were able to do ourselves apart from plastering. Here is before picture - DH removing the lovely 70s wood panelling which was a feature in most of the house!!

Puppypoppet Wed 15-May-13 09:51:43

Here is an after shot.

Puppypoppet Wed 15-May-13 09:55:48

And another.

THERhubarb Wed 15-May-13 10:41:03

Jazz, if you haven't got an email then you've not been successful.

Looks lovely Puppy smile

I am sensing a pink theme however to these little girl bedrooms. Did anyone go for a non-conformist colour at all?

Oh bums sad
I wonder how they chose the ones they chose? I'm looking forward to seeing others transformations! I love real house makeovers. smile

THERhubarb Wed 15-May-13 13:24:55

You might still get a £150 gift card though by being on this thread. <hopes>

Reastie Wed 15-May-13 13:35:11

No transformations on my home <sobs> but shamelessly marking place to nose at pictures blush

smokinaces Wed 15-May-13 16:16:53

Puppy, my old house as a teen had that wooden panelling. Just by removing it I swear my bedroom gained a foot in size!!

zzzexhaustedzzz Wed 15-May-13 17:28:44

We really need to sort out our lounge. I have the house on the market and it would help if the walls had a repaint. There are still scribbles on it from when my kids were small! The carpet has been here since we moved in 10 years ago and it's blotchy and seen much better days!
Just two things I need to sort out. smile

nevergoogle Wed 15-May-13 23:30:27

I'll get some before pics up tomorrow evening as i'm hoping to start emptying the room at the weekend. Need to get cracking as we both work full time and don't have a lot of time on our hands.

RooneyMara Thu 16-May-13 10:25:56

Yes I did our bathroom. This is it before, when we moved in:

RooneyMara Thu 16-May-13 10:30:59

I'll get the hang of this! I got in a tiler but he was useless. So I took off most of his tiles and started again. Tiles were from B&Q btw!

This is the after pic.

Pinkyorkbunny Thu 16-May-13 16:17:17

Ha RooneyMara, mines the pink room on the first page and the cushion, light fittings and the ABC pictures are all from B&Q grin

MmeLindor Thu 16-May-13 21:37:43

Oh, I love house makeovers. We are doing the mother of house make overs at the moment so will lurk and steal ideas. We can't afford to have kitchen and garden done at the moment, but new windows, gas heating, bathrooms, flooring throughout and plastering / decorating all being done.

Not DIY though, cause we are both hopeless at it. I did strip the wallpaper, but that was about it.

Travelledtheworld Fri 17-May-13 11:03:19

My 13 year old son has a bedroom which needs a makeover. He has NEVER had a nice bedroom.He has always had to put up with hand me downs, spare rooms and neutral deco.
This was originally our bedroom, pink carpet,floral wallpaper and curtains. decorated in 2003. It's a nice big square room approx 16 feet by 17 feet and with a beautiful view over the village and valley.

In 2003 we went to live abroad and the house was rented out. Subsequent tenants painted over the wallpaper.

We came back from overseas in 2010 and Jim took over this room. We lived for a while with no furniture, just mattresses on the floor. Wish I had redecorated then but we were short of cash and it all seemed too much.

At first glance the room looks OK but a closer scrutiny reveals :
Filthy wallpaper which needs stripping off and replacing.
Wall which is a chimney breast needs re- plastering and chimney vent sealing up.
Mouldy and peeling paint on the sliding sash window which needs replacing with double glazing.
Chemical stains on the (pink) carpet
Cute curtains yes, but they were made in 1997 for his older sister when she was a baby.
No storage for hanging clothes.
Bed and bedding bought for a four year old.

He is approaching Five foot ten in height and could do with a big bed !

He says he wants a beach theme. HELP. Any suggestions ?

Travelledtheworld Fri 17-May-13 11:16:26

Close up of stained and hideous pink carpet

Reastie Fri 17-May-13 14:42:18

travel is he a bat? grin

TheFutureMrsB Fri 17-May-13 15:46:12

We have just re-decorated our 'Utility' room, it is no longer one of those!

I had my husband strip it bare, remove worktops etc, and I have now turned it into a cute little dining room! The room is directly off the kitchen and though I don't see any really point to the room we simply couldn't afford to knock down the wall to make a bigger kitchen, we carried on the same colours as the kitchen - White, grey and black but now the kitchen looks like it could do with a good paint and everything else as this new room looks all fresh and clean and the kitchen looks a bit worn out loved!

It has made a massive difference though and it seems a lot bigger and brighter now.

travelledtheworld

You could use a blue/navy and white stripe paper for the chimney breast wall, paint the others plain white to keep the room looking bright, add some funky beach items like these on Amazon Amazon nautical accessories

I know that's all more nautical than beach but I can't think of beachy things!

You could find some shells/driftwood and have them placed around too.

Travelledtheworld Fri 17-May-13 16:02:43

Great ideas. At one point he wanted a pile of sand in the room.
Reastie - no he is not a bat though retreating frequently into his cave. I took the photos with the iPad and don't know why they have attached upside down !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now