This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED Talk to Stork about your favourite things to bake, and discuss 'Bake Brave' for World Baking Day 2013. £100 Baking hamper to be won

(134 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-May-13 09:57:04

World Baking Day is on Sunday 19th of May and to coincide with this Stork would love to hear what you think of this year's theme "Bake Brave".

Stork say: "World Baking Day is a global event sponsored by Stork and the theme for 2013 is to 'Bake Brave'. From novice to master baker, food blogger to food celebrity, World Baking Day has been introduced to inspire people to step out of their baking comfort zone and master a cake they've never baked before."

For this year's theme, 100 recipes of varying difficulty have been developed and can be found here

Please take a look at the recipes and come back to this thread to let us know what you think. Which recipe would you try to 'Bake Brave' with? Are there any that you've already mastered?

Please also share your favourite treats to bake as well as any top baking tips you may have for other MNers or for getting kids into baking.

Everyone who shares their thoughts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw, where one MNer will win a £100 Baking hamper filled with sweet treats and baking goodies.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

Badvoc Mon 13-May-13 14:56:58

The Turkish delight cake looks great, and the lemon strawberry cakes!
I like the way that you can choose your level and, once you are more confident, move on.
Nice that so many of the recipes are global.

CMOTDibbler Mon 13-May-13 15:04:11

I love baking, and at the moment I am really enjoying trying unusual vegan recipes for a change. I always bake gluten free as I don't make anything I can't eat!

This week I will mostly be making cherry chocolate cupcakes for ds to take into school for his birthday, and his requested 'BeastQuest' cake for his party. I may also make a chocolate pumpkin cake for Saturday when I'll have a houseful of blokes and a quick batch of almond butter and dried apricot cookies.

There looked to be some interesting recipes on the Stork site, but I wish it was searchable by allergy friendliness

MikeLitoris Mon 13-May-13 15:41:47

Love love love baking. Pretty much something baked everyday here.

At least one of the dc help me. Mostly weighing things out (maths. Good excuse to bake)

That app has some pretty good recipes. I'll give a few a try.

My tip especially with cake making is to practice as much as poss. And dont be afraid to try new things.

MikeLitoris Mon 13-May-13 15:43:40

One point about the link though. Im on my phone and when I open it I only see one pic so things like hidden suprise cakes only show the whole cake. Not what it should look like inside.

jenny77 Mon 13-May-13 16:38:32

It's butter all the way for me I'm afraid. Salted grin

skyebluesapphire Mon 13-May-13 17:25:07

As a child I used to cook all the time with my mum. I don't have time to cook nowadays, which is sad, but my DD 5yo loves cooking with Nana.

I have looked at the recipes and fancy trying the Cherry Banana Cheesecake.

My favourite recipe is for chocolate cracknell, which involves rice crispies, syrup, chocolate and dried milk powder. It was a favourite in primary school

Well none of them look especially scary to me, although there are some quite fun ones in there - but then I often make stupidly ambitious cakes, and routinely bake because it is easier/quicker/nicer than buying cakes. I don't have any particular tips for baking with DC, as I am too much of a baking control freak to especially enjoy baking with children, but I do think that you would be better off with these recipes than with some of the baking books aimed at children - DD has one that she was given with possibly the most convoluted methods I have ever seen - and huge scope for disaster (mixture splitting, in particular). I find it really annoying as she would be much better off making "all in one" type recipes, but she insists that she wants to use "her" book so we have persisted.

For adults, my main tip would be not to take too much advice in advance, particularly if it is of the "ooh, that's hard" variety. I have done lots of things which I only realised in retrospect were supposed to be hard - if I had known, I might have been more hesitant to try them, IYSWIM. Novelty/fancy decorated cakes in particular require, IMHO, no particular level of skill, just an immense amount of patience.

MrsHoarder Mon 13-May-13 17:49:11

I love baking: when not too busy I bake most sweet things we eat. A lot of the time its basic oat biscuits or fairy cakes because the work to get something delisous and home baked is so low.

I grew up with the Stork cookery book (which my DM got in the 1970s?) and have a couple of typed out copies of those recipes in my recipe file. Bake Brave doesn't open in my browser though, so I can't offer an opinion on that.

nextphase Mon 13-May-13 18:10:19

The bake brave is VERY slow, and frustrating to use. I want to be able to see more than one cake, and have to discover my level.
What I can't do is decorate cakes. Any hints there?
And why use block stork? Salted butter all the way, unless making sponge cake, in which case its whatever marg is on offer.
Frequent makes here: chocolate brownies, chocolate spot biscuits, melting moments, flapjack, 1-2-3 biscuits (straight off MN, which has an amazing range of recipes)

hermancakedestroyer Mon 13-May-13 18:17:44

Oh yum! I love baking and I love researching recipes of tasty things to bake. I enjoyed looking through the recipes and deciding what I'm going to bake next. The happiness cheesecake looks particularly good.

I encourage my children to bake as often as possible and I will show them the recipes so that they can choose something to bake with me.
Great idea and one which I'm sure MNers will find very useful. smile

GreatGooglyMoogly Mon 13-May-13 18:22:34

I love baking but ideally quick and easy things with not too much washing up! That's why my favourite recipe is for brownies. They can be made in a saucepan with only a few other bits and pieces for measuring and stirring and everyone loves them. I like the look of the bakewell biscuits on the website smile.

Manchesterhistorygirl Mon 13-May-13 18:34:43

I've not looked at the recipes yet, but on the 18th I've organised a bake off. That's baking brave if ever I heard it!

Trill Mon 13-May-13 18:42:30

I'd prefer to just see a list on the website - some have useful names and some have names that do not describe what the item actually is.

Trill Mon 13-May-13 18:42:50

I'm also unsure where "brave" comes in...

Trill Mon 13-May-13 18:44:17

I am curious about the Colour frenzy (another one with a non-descriptive name) - it'll be interesting to see if whipping cream and jelly powder makes a thing that is nice...

cather Mon 13-May-13 18:47:17

We do a lot of baking and my sons love baking too. My eldest son is 11 and can make a cake from start to finish now without me helping.

I like the sound of the Miranda's chocolate brownie meringue cake, it sounds really delicious and I will give it a try at the weekend.

My baking tip is to let children help when you are baking and they enjoy it and they are learning without realising.

aristocat Mon 13-May-13 18:54:55

I love baking and my DD shares the love grin We enjoy making things together and trying new recipes.

I will definitely make My Happy Cake Lvl 70 ~ my mom used to make a cake with poppy seed and hopefully this will be similar. It will remind me of all the delicious cakes my mom made. She always used Stork in the 1970/1980s.

I make a fantastic Carrot Cake, which doesn't last long.

My tip for baking with children is that it is very difficult to be patient enough with DD because she still likes to make icing and smother the cakes - our compromise is that she can do what she wants with half of our cake/s and I decorate the rest my way.

ClaraOswald Mon 13-May-13 19:03:16

I am a novice bread baker, but have been able to bake cakes and biscuits for about 20 years. I do like a bit of a challenge, but sometimes I look at a recipe and run screaming for the hills. I think World Baking Day is a fantastic idea. Last week my sister introduced her 2 year old to the joy of making chocolate crispie cakes. As a result he was very interested in my own activity this past week.

This past weekend was my sisters wedding and she asked if I could bake cupcakes for the guests which were to used as place cards. It worked really well, and everyone commented on them with several people munching more than just their own! I did use butter in this instance because I needed them to be a bit more solid due to the fact they had to travel 100+miles. They were iced at my mothers house the night before the wedding and fitted in beautifully with the overall theme of the day which was 50's village fete. My nephew was fascinated and I hope we have started him on the road to a healthy attitude to food and where it comes from.

I have never before baked and iced so much in my life. smile

flippinada Mon 13-May-13 19:04:05

My DS loves baking, although his absolute favourite is drop scones (some of you will know these as scotch pancakes) which probably don't count as they aren't baked but cooked on a griddle!

I love making pastry ever since I was taught by my Gran, who used to make the most beautiful, buttery, crumbly melt in the mouth shortcrust pastry. I can't pretend to be as good as she was but I'm having fun practicing.

Had a look at the website and will definitely some of those recipes a try. I have friends coming over for dinner on Saturday so it's the perfect excuse smile

dahville Mon 13-May-13 19:05:08

I checked out the site but I didn't like the way it was organised; I would have preferred a recipe index and that clicking on a recipe would take you to the recipe not another picture and then you need to click again for the recipe. Too many clicks.

On a positive note there are some interesting recipes on the site; I particularly like the dark chocolate torte.

I haven't done any baking yet with my son but I imagine I'll teach him what I consider the golden rule - measure everything out first!

Doobydoo Mon 13-May-13 19:38:47

fAB WEBSITE...LOVE THE LOOK OF THE MULTI COLOURED CAKE.
Think I will try recipe 58 as ds1 has just walked past and demanded it!
I have made cheesecakes and have made The Silver Spoon's lemon tart recipe which is yum and also Green and Blacks convict cake which is mahusive!

Katz Mon 13-May-13 20:09:13

We love baking, cakes, cookies, pies all sorts.

Favorite in our house are cupcakes, which I always use stork for.

Looked at the website and wow can't wait to try sme of those recipes.

orangepudding Mon 13-May-13 20:22:11

I love the Colour Frenzy cake on the Stork website. I have made rainbow cakes before but always with coloured cake mixture. I have never seen cream mixed with jelly powder used in a cake - brilliant idea!

My children all love baking, I give them books and let them choose what they want to bake. As I have three children it can get a bit hectic in the kitchen as if one wants to bake the others decide they want to too. You have to forget about the mess and let them enjoy it!

MrsMicawber Mon 13-May-13 20:51:15

Just baked a chocolate cheesecake, a basic cheesecake, a chocolate sandwich cake and frosted chocolate cupcakes with buttercream...

I love raw cheesecake mixture.

I love baking, but have never attempted anything very difficult, and the children tend to keep me just doing fairy cakes, sponge cakes, brownies flapjacks etc. Scotch pancakes are another huge favourite in our house. The Be-Ro cook book is my bible

I use Stork because it beats easily straight from the fridge, a lot of my baking is done on the spur of the moment so a well stocked cupboard and fridge are essential, there's nothing worse than the children wanting to bake and us not having any eggs or flour or whatever. I keep lots and lots of different sprinkles as that is what the children like doing the best. So that's my first top tip, which has been mentioned already. The second is having all the right equipment and knowing where it is, a lot of mine comes from Lakeland, little things like pre-cut circles of baking parchment and the big plastic mat for rolling pastry and dough on make life a lot easier.

I've had a look at the website, there are some nice sounding recipes, but I found the format of the site a bit confusing, I would rather just see labelled pictures of all the bakes (don't like that when you hover to get the name the pic disappears) and all the scrolling through the difficulty levels. The ones that first caught my eye were the Bakewell biscuits, treacle tart and chocolate fudge cake. The ones I'm least likely to try are the Colour Frenzy or anything else with masses of food colouring in, I don't mind a little in icing but find the look of brightly coloured cakes very unappetising.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now